A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Salary/wage expectations - your thoughts - curious

Posted: Jan 18, 2011

I am interested in hearing what those of you with experience in this business would consider a reasonable salary or wage in today's market for doing MT.  What do you think the average earnings are for doing medical transcription today.  Would you say $40,000 a year would be over the top, average, or low.  Better yet, if you knew a company was paying an average salary of $40,000 a year, would you consider that laughable or something worth looking into?

All thoughts are welcome and encouraged.  The more the better actually.

Thanks.

sounds good to me, sm - srl

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm currently making 56k a year but once I'm laid off, I'll be interviewing for a job that will net me about 35k so quite a difference. 40k doesn't sound too awful especially if there are benefits.

OMG 40K???? - maybe 5 years ago

[ In Reply To ..]
do you know a company paying 40K a year??? hook me up! I would be happy to make 28K right now. I am pretty sure last year I made 20K. maybe even 18K. 5 years ago I was making 50K.

it's heart breaking, it really truly is. I have 12 years experience, type very fast... yet starting with an MTSO last year really really really has screwed me.

It's DISGUSTING how we have to take this. nobody can do anything about it... and the newbies and people will just keep working at slave wages for the BS this industry is becoming. I really really am heartbroken. wanted to raise my family with a job at home. what happened!!! :(

what happened - lindsey

[ In Reply To ..]
We all stopped demanding what we are worth. They know we can't afford to turn down too many jobs so they keep the pay low knowing we will have to come around. If not, they will just send it overseas. We need a union to stand up for us. For me, I only have a couple more years until I can finally retire. Its been a very long last 2 years. Finding the right company who appreciates their transcriptionists is impossible these days. I wish you all good luck but if I were young and not at the end of my working life, I would seriously consider a new career. Once it goes down this far, it will never come back to being a profitable career.

Sorry you're having a tough time on your new job - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Maybe you should try looking around. It sounds like your new job isn't a very good fit for you. I wouldn't stay in a job I didn't like.

In today's market - ancientMT

[ In Reply To ..]
If you have someone offering you a SALARY to do MT, take it. Definitely worth looking into. I've seen jobs for MT middle management (team leads) that only pay in the mid to high mid 30's and that comes with crazy responsibility.

As to the average an MT makes today, I think there's a huge difference between those working as contractors and doing well for themselves, and those as employees who find themselves in the 30k and down ranges.

Then you would consider the following a good offer? - Curious

[ In Reply To ..]
Starting salary = $37,500 + bennies, i.e., health, dental, vision, PTO, paid downtime, etc.

Minimum production 1400 lines per day

24-hour production window

If that salary comes with production bonuses/incentives, it's - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
a very good offer, or without for for someone happy to make that level and not have to work overly hard for it. If there is no incentive or bonus plan, a high producer'd make significantly more on production pay with a company that rewards high production.

$40K is what we USE TO/SHOULD be making. - Now, its tough to even make $20K. nm

[ In Reply To ..]

I made 39,700 last year, so it can still be done. - MT

[ In Reply To ..]

There is a wide range with some doing much better than others - Skills matter though

[ In Reply To ..]
I've seen some MTs that have been working for years doing work that I wouldn't have accepted if I had been their boss. Now some of them are being forced out when they are slowly cutting down the amount of work they are giving them. The pickier accounts are now going to other MTs who do better work. That is what is happening to many of the experienced MTs these days. They aren't as good as they told us they were. They aren't as good as they thought they were. Nobody cared much because it was harder to find good MTs. Now there are MTs who really do have good skills. Some of them have years of experience and some don't. That doesn't matter as much as the level of skills they have. They are getting the work.

Sadly, true. And those that can make status quo work in - their favor, can do pretty well. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

I've got the skills, what I ain't got is the MONEY. - There IS a limit to how fast we can type,

[ In Reply To ..]
and I hit that limit years ago. Meanwhile, the cpl continues to go DOWN. No amount of fancy new software will compensate for that. And in fact, it has largely contributed to the problem by slowing us down, and by cheating us out of lines.
You "hit that limit years ago"---light goes on! - With expanders, your limit should
[ In Reply To ..]
be constantly expanding. I've been using an expander for a decade and keep adding to it every day. I bet I started off slower than you too.

Maybe it's worthless talking to you because you should have figured it out yourself a decade ago too, but: If you want a lot more money, get yourself some of that "fancy new software" and use it.
I use expanders constantly. But no matter - how fast i can type, it doesnt - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
matter when I have to re-log-in to the company's website every time I go to a differenti field, such as from demographics to templates, and back to the report. An then, it takes forever to load. It's slow, slow, slow!

So yes, I can type and transcribe faster than ever with expanders and shortcuts, but there's a limit to how much software-slowness my typing speed can make up for.
Hmmm, sounds hopeless for you then. - NM
[ In Reply To ..]
x

expectations - lindsey

[ In Reply To ..]
After 24 years in this business, I have gone from 13 cents per line to making half of minimum wage per hour. If there was a real company offering $40,000 for the work I'm devoted my whole life to, I would have to say.....whats the catch?

Lindsey, come on, how can that be? Half of minimum - wage per hour? BTW, CURIOUS,

[ In Reply To ..]
I work about 30-32 hours a week (actual work time at the keyboard) and made just short of $40K last year. For an MTSO. And, yes, my income has gone down too.

To evaluate what people are making, you have to figure that people in this field fall into some really different pay groups according to what they bring to it, what they're given to work with, the actual time worked, and pay scale. You need to figure out who sounds like you and go with those. For instance, I can only guess and wonder at why, but for whatever combo of reasons, Lindsey and I live 2 different realities even if we carry the same job description. Also, I do work for a pretty decent paying company, but not everyone working there makes good money.

Attitude and work ethics also make a difference in income - Believe it or not

[ In Reply To ..]
Some MTs are just better to work with than others. I prefer to work with people who have strong work ethics and are willing to do the work the way the client wants it done. There are MTs who have done things their way for 30 years and are not willing to follow changing instructions. Others are. Guess which ones are getting more work?! They are also getting the most important accounts, because nobody wants to lose those. The clients don't care that the MT has always done it that way and "if it was good enough for my last accounts over the last 30 years, it's good enough for you." That makes no difference to them at all. They just want it done their way.
True. I was like for a short period of time. Then I realized no MTSO - was going to change for me just becuase SM
[ In Reply To ..]
I thought what they did "unfair" or that my way was the only way. The work needs to be done, they dont care if by me or by Jane Doe. And they want to get down to the lowest wage. Basically, they have a price they want to pay and they dont care if your name is on the check or my name is on the check. This is business, not family and friends. Now I do the work how they want it, what does it matter to me? I am making a wage I am happy with. I am a high producer cause it is to MY advantage.

If you are making half of minimum wage, there are other jobs you can do at home. - me

[ In Reply To ..]
My sister is a customer service rep at home and averages about $10 an hour.

I made 55K last year but with 2 jobs, 1 FT - and 1 PT. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

I know lots of people (not just MTs) who would like to switch places with you - Jobs are scarce everywhere these days

[ In Reply To ..]
This is really a tough economy. It's amazing that you were able to find a way to make that much money when lots of people can't find a job at all!

That says a lot about your ability to find and do good work. There are lots of people who can't do that.

That has been my average salary for about 3 years (sm) - Ally

[ In Reply To ..]
My average used to be $58,000 to $60,000 prior to 3 years ago, but now the past 3 years I have only been averaging $40,000 due to editing, which I detest.

Similar Messages:

Salary Increase Expectations After Getting CPC, CCS Credentials
Feb 03, 2013

I just landed an entry-level position as a hospital outpatient coder!  Yay!  It is a foot in the door towards my new career.  After I sit for and get my credentials (I have 0 experience in this field), I plan on giving my passing credentials to my HIM director and to HR.  Is it appropriate to ask HR when I do my hiring paperwork/orientation what salary increases are given for credentials and per credential?  I am not really sure that is the right time or place to discuss ...

Informatics Salary Versus Coder Salary
Jan 15, 2013

Hello Everybody.  First, let me say I have gotten a lot of good advice from this board in the past few years.  I have been encouraged to go back to school, am currently enrolled in Andrews for coding, and am looking to the future to obtain a degree to further advance myself in the field. I am very strongly considering WGU's Informatics course. I think this will be a good fit for me, especially considering this program also includes many IT certifications and I have always been ...

Expectations For QA.
Jul 26, 2013

Does anyone know the expectations for QAs? Like, are they required to produce a certain amount? How are they paid? Hourly, salary, or per production? Is their quality checked like MLS's are? How often? How long are they allowed/recommended to spend on each blank (I was told by my supervisor to spend no more than 5-7 minutes researching a blank and, if not researchable, 3 listens per blank before moving on. If I go over MY allowed variance hours, I'm told I'm spending too much time ...

So Underpaid For Expectations!
Oct 11, 2011

Need to vent.  Cannot stand to hear any more sad attempts by docs to murder the English language, to expect us miracle workers to turn garbage into important medical records, to expect us to read their minds, to throw out a bunch of words and expect us to give it some structure while staying within about 10 different guidelines, mostly set up by old ladies trying to stay relevent, yes I said it, and all this plus more for about $10/hr on a good pay period.  I could deal with the stress ...

Absolute FED UP With These Expectations
Oct 24, 2012

I am absolutely fed up with being an MT and I am about to leave this field for good. Over the years, I have worked for several MT companies and I know that quality is important. I understand that the reports have to be correct and quality has to be high. However, what I need to *** about is what these MT companies are REALLY doing to us. First of all, to be an MT, we went to school. We studied our butts off and we paid an outragous fee to get this diploma. We took tests and passed them. We ...

Unreasonable Expectations?
Nov 05, 2012

Am I being unreasonable here? I have been an acute care MT for almost 15 years, spent the last year and half learning coding, coding increasingly complex cases, working towards certification. I am having a hard time with the concept of getting certified and then only being able to find a job doing billing in a doctor's office at $13 an hour. I feel like I would be taking a step backwards, like I have all this inpatient expertise, and I would be billing URIs and primary care visits. The ...

Minimum Wage Is Better Than No Wage, I Guess
May 29, 2013

Too bad we can't just type our way to $16, $17, and upwards of $20 per hour anymore.  Shoot, with the amount of work available, I guess I should consider myself lucky to even get MINIMUM WAGE. (Wish I was)!  ...

Expectations Too High - Am I Unrealistic?
Sep 29, 2010

I need opinions please.  Do I expect too much?  When I ask my lead a question I do not usally get an answer.  When she does choose to respond it is  very often rude and/or condescening.   Not one time have I ever gotten a sample despite numerous requests.     Am I unreasonalbe? ...

Leaving Transcription ... Low Pay, High Expectations
Jun 06, 2011

I have had it... Low pay, high expectations, stressssssssss!  Going to work in a department store. Hourly wage, paid for all I do all the time. ...

Transcription Line Rates Expectations
Oct 23, 2012

Copied directly from an advertisement for a transcriptionist for a hospital setting;  2. Transcribes an average of 10,000 lines per day, based on an 8 hour day.   now, can anybody really do this?  lol.  maybe they are talking speech rec, but even this would be a lot to expect.  Wonder if they pay incentive for going over line requirements.  ...

Expectations, Reality Check ..and Plan Of Action
Dec 23, 2012

I just cant believe MMOdal have set their bar so low... What has MModal done to make our accuracy grow DEP programers, heres a piece of advice...get an option of grading the dictator in ur next version of DEP within the file....like, excellent, decent, good, bad, worst...whoever ever get 2 weeks of worst % should be warned if still no improvement, penailze with heafty fine and still no improvement, should be dumped from dictating forever.. 1.  MMODAL face it..ur DEP program is grabage..e ...

Anyone On Salary?
Jun 18, 2010

Just wondering if there is anyone who works from home and gets paid a salary from where they work? Basically, on their payrole and receive benefits and the same amount of money each week no matter how much or little work you have? ...

Salary Cut
Jul 11, 2011

I for one am going to check into partial unemployment, I guess they will pay me more either way.  I am really going to take a hit. ...

Salary
Aug 03, 2011

On my way out the door to interview for an in-house MT position. Is it appropriate to ask the person what the salary is for a hourly position? I have been told, you ask and you won't get the job for sure...Not sure how I feel about it or whether I should ask? I really need this job and don't want to blow it. Any advice is appreciated. ...

QA Salary
Aug 11, 2011

Hello,  I would like to know how much people are making for QA?   ...

Salary For Coders
Feb 02, 2010

What is the average hourly pay for coders?  How would you say the income compares with medical transcription.  I have been a medical transcriptionist for 14+ years, and looking into coding.  I actually used to do some light coding and billing years ago, but it was for a OB/GYN practice back in the day. ...

Annual Salary
Jun 08, 2010

I am currently making $34,000 a year as an MT.  I am a single mom raising 2 kids on my own.  I am curious if anyone is making more than that as an MT.  I want to set a goal for myself to make more in the range of $40,000 to $45,000.  Am I being unrealistic?  Can it be done? ...

Salary Class
Jun 16, 2010

on my pay it says salary class 40 what does that refer to? ...

Coding Salary
Nov 26, 2010

I currently work in an imaging facility doing transcription of MRI and ultrasounds.  I am training to be a coder to do the coding for my company also.  I am not sure what I need to be getting paid for this after I'm done.  I am not sure if I should ask for a pay raise based solely on the coding or if I include my transcription experience also.  Is there anyone out there who does both coding and transcription for the same company?  Any advice is greatly apprecia ...

Salary Question
Mar 31, 2011

I am currently making 42,000.00 a year in medical transcription.  Am I really going to make much more than that  if I get an AA degree in medical coding ?  I am wondering if school is a waste.  My daughter says that an entry level job for me will only pay in the 30's and if thats the case, I think I should stay with transcription.  I am 50 years old and just a bit scared of whats to come. ...

Transcend QA Salary
Apr 28, 2011

Anyone have an idea of the QA salary range at Transcend?  I'm an MT and have an opportunity to move to that position.... ...

Average Salary
Dec 15, 2011

On average, how much do you fellow MTs who work 40 hours week earn per week or month?   ...

Check Out This Salary In FL. S/m
Jul 06, 2012

I was looking for MT jobs in my state of FL.  I checked the salary info on 1 job.    The table below shows the estimated 2011 Employment Wage Statistics for individuals employed as Medical Transcriptionists in Brevard County. Rate Type / Statistical TypeEntry levelMeanExperienced Annual wage or salary $23,832 $30,638 $34,042 Hourly wage $11.46 $14.73 $16.36   I have 25+ years experience and I don't make $16/hour.  Last year w/out VR, ...

Googled CCO Amy's Salary
Aug 04, 2012

I thought I was prepared, but I was still shocked.  Man, must be really nice.  ...

Let's All Take The Salary Survey!
Sep 23, 2014

Help us help you?!!! http://emedia.advanceweb.com/HM?a=FtX7Cqsc3_Ni8SA9MKJcRXvnGHxKLJ2w-gjtS5kGaNU60bBhOG5mpqVsje_HhdD-fUrq ...

Nuance CEO Salary
Sep 25, 2014

I found this very interesting in regard to a study done that shows the American worker has no idea the disparity between his salary and his CEO's salary.  This is from the The Boston Globe on 04/28/2014:What does it take to become the most overpaid executive in Massachusetts? Or, more to the point, how much does it take?The answer is a little bit north of $29 million. That’s how much the Burlington speech recognition company Nuance Communications Inc. paid its chief executive, Paul ...

Just Saw A Salary Survey
Mar 22, 2015

On the Advance for HIM web site there is a salary survey from 2014. On the graph of average salaries, MTs were the lowest (even below billers) with average salary of just over 29,000. Coders made over 49,000. Pretty interesting ...

Scribes - Starting Salary
Mar 30, 2010

I do medical transcription for a local specialty practice.  They are transitioning to EHR and gave notice to their MTs that they would be cutting back on their MT needs starting next week.  Today, the office mgr. called and asked if I would be interested in a Scribe position.  In short, I am.  The manager would like to learn my salary requirements.  I am thinking of asking to start at $10/hour.  Does that seem reasonable.  N.B. Idaho ranks 49/50 in per capita i ...

Salary For Supervisor Position
Sep 21, 2010

Does anyone have any idea what MQ pays the supervisors and how you go about applying for the position? ...

Starting Salary For New Coder With CCS
Dec 19, 2010

Wondering if anyone can tell me what the starting salary might be for an inpatient coder with CCS with no coding experience but with 5+ years transcription experience (NYC/NJ area).  I would like to know what the salary might be before I sign up for a course.  Thanks!  ...