A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Just started school for a MT - Mel

Posted: Apr 05, 2013

I just started going to school (Kaplan University Online) for my Associates in Medical Transcription. From what I am hearing I should change my degree immediately. I have been thinking about changing my degree to Medical Office Management instead. Any thoughts?

Oh Mel - Where to begin...

[ In Reply To ..]
First of all, have you taken the time to read these boards, including the New MTs board? In my opinion, MT is dying a slow and painful death, and I've been at this for a very long time (almost 30 years). I wasn't even aware that there was an Associates in Medical Transcription. Most schools offer a certificate program. I am wondering how much Kaplan is charging for this Associates.

Anyway, I am currently back in school to get out of MT and never look back. I used to love being an MT but now I can hardly stand listening to the barely coherent dictators day in and day out (ever hear of garbage in, garbage out?), who don't seem to care what the end report looks like as long as they did their part by dictating something. If you do decide to stick with learning to be an MT, I wish you well, but I would urge you to read these boards before you make your final decision.

I appreciated the feedback - Mel

[ In Reply To ..]
I truly appreciate your feedback. My degree for an Associates in MT was going to cost me $38k.

OMG!!!!!! WHAT???? - Please see my message

[ In Reply To ..]
OMG - Okay I about choked on my sandwich. I never ever reply to any of these messages, but this one I truly feel strongly that I need to give you my opinion.

$38K. I'm sorry to say but I think you are getting ripped off. Isn't that about what you pay for a law degree or something else. I went to a community college, granted it was 15 years ago, but I don't think it has changed much. I went through 6 months of anatomy and the MT course was self paced and I finished in 2 years. It was $300 per term. There is no way anyone should be charging you that amount to be an MT, especially in the end you'll get a job that pays less than McDonalds.

Please read this board a lot and you'll get a good idea of what we are going through. MT's don't make the high wages the schools tell everyone they do. Here are some facts that most of us are facing:

1. We are all making anywhere from 6 cents to 8 cents a line. If you type on VR/SR (voice recognition/speech recognition) you get paid half of that. It is nothing you can survive on with just one income. I am one of many who are slowly sinking.

2. There is not always work available. A lot of MTs are logging onto work and they don't have any available jobs to type, which means they don't get paid.

3. Depending on the system you use. Some are easy and you can probably hit 1200 lines a day, providing there is always work, but at 1200 lines a day if you type straight and get paid 8 cents that means you will have made $12 an hour. If you type on SR (sometimes you don't get a choice and that's all there is) you get paid about half that. If you get on with a company that has a bad platform and hard to use you make less. I once had a job that pay was so low and the system was so cumbersome I figured I was make $1.75 an hour.

4. Rising cost of living, but unless you work in house you don't get any raises.

I saw someone suggest something below maybe about 2 or 3 weeks ago. If you could I would seriously think about changing your specialty. If I knew back then what I know now, I would have studied to be either an ultrasound tech or specialize in sleep studies or focus on a skill that is in high demand.

I hope it is not too late for you to switch your specialty. So many MTs are finding themselves out of work, and I have friends who have been MTs for years and they can't find any work.

I so so so wish you the best in what you decide to do. Please read the messages here and you might get a better idea of what we are all facing.

Good luck, let us know what you decide, but please please don't pay that kind of money to learn MT stuff. Not when you can earn a certificate for much cheaper. Like one other poster said I don't think there is such as thing as an associates deg in MT.

Not only do MTSO owners/mgmt. belong behind bars, - but so do these rip-off schools! sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Shame on them for even offering an MT course anymore. For most of us, that's more than 3 years' gross pay as a medical transcriptionist! I made only $12,000 last year working FULL TIME and lots of OVERTIME. So for me, $38K is more than THREE YEARS' PAY!

For a course that expensive, even if you got an MT job when you graduated (which is becoming more and more unlikely with each passing month), you would have to leave the MT field just to be able to pay off the loan. And student loans are not forgiven in bankruptcy, so you would owe on it forever.

MT used to be a good profession, but now it's sweatshop labor, right here in the gool ol' US of A. Of course, even the sweatshop jobs are disappearing, too. It's all going to India.

Seriously, I would ONLY consider getting into MT if you and your family are planning a permanent move to INDIA.

MTSO mgmt do NOT belong behind bars - Get a grip - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
On what charge do you think our managers need to be behind bars?

I'm the person you responded to. While I am angry at the schools for ripping people off, they are the ones that need to be shut down. Why in the world would you include our managers in with them. What illegal actions have they committed.

Sure I'd like better pay, but I can't honestly think of some illegal thing they've done that you think they need to be "behind bars". What law have they broken?
Sure they do. Because they carry out orders which - in many cases are totally illegal.
[ In Reply To ..]
What law are they breaking? - Get a grip - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
If they were breaking the law they would be in jail.

I want higher wages myself, but I'm seriously trying to figure out what law it is you are saying they have broken.
Well, let's see..... to begin with, there's telling - MTs to falsify their time cards so that - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
it "appears" they're working up to the required minimum lines per hour. Even if that minimum is unattainable.

There's expecting IC's to abide by the same restrictions that employees have to abide by.

There's telling MTs to work overtime to get things up to TAT, yet not paying for said overtime.

There's not paying MTs for overtime at ALL. Simply pretending those extra hours worked don't even exist.

There's cheating MTs on line counts.

There's not paying MTs for time spent waiting for work to come in, even though they are expected to be logged in and available during their shift.

There's not paying for time spent researching, even though it's a large portion of the job. Paying only for keyboard time, or VBC may not be illegal, but it certainly should be.

There's a lot of bait 'n' switch going on when it comes to recruiting new MTs, too.

Many pay below minimum wage. They get away with it by using the timesheet-altering tactic described above.

And finally, it's highly likely that a lot more unseen skullduggery is going on with these companies that we just don't see. If they're as dishonest with their employees as we know they are, one can only imagine what sort of financial hijinks they're up to.
Are you still an MT? - Get a real grip
[ In Reply To ..]
???

OMG. Get out now. 38,000 to become an MT? - RIDICULOUS

[ In Reply To ..]
You are seriously getting ripped off. You will not make $38.000 in your first 3 years of working! I wish I could tell you I was kidding. I have been doing this for 18 years. I made $16,000 last year! You have to get out. How are you going to pay that back?
38k is obscene! - nm
[ In Reply To ..]

Run..run now! It is a rip off! - Obi Wan

[ In Reply To ..]
The MT field is on it's way out, rather quickly. Stay away from billing and coding also, this to is on the way out. The other poster is right, there is no real Associates degree in medical transcription. What you would get for this extremely over priced education is an A.A.S degree (Associate of Applied Science), the credits of which may not be able to transfer to a four year Bachelor program later on. Depending on where you live, you can get a real Associates degree at your local community college for 5K or less. If you are interested a medical field of study go with something that cannot be replaced easily with technology or be off shored. Physical therapy might be a good choice. I highly recommend you get out of that rip off school, and away from the MT field. "May the force be with you."

HUH??? - Jenisue74

[ In Reply To ..]
I did my MT training through the old PCDI program for $500!! I probably wouldn't say it was the best training program in the world but I got a job, learned a lot more and continue to learn daily. I have made my living as a MT for over 10 years and can't imagine paying $38K!

Not a dying profession, too busy I just gave away account - 2bz2sleep

[ In Reply To ..]
I am so buried in work that I just gave an easy ortho account away to somebody on this board. I cannot begin to tell you how busy I am. I have numerous accounts and make a great deal of money still, despite pay cuts. If you go into this field, go in thinking and studying to have your own clients instead of working for MTSOs. I started my own business before even graduating and have RARELY had time off since then over 12 years ago.

we know - and best of luck

[ In Reply To ..]
As you know, you are the exception and not the rule, and it's foolhardy to encourage people to get into MT at this time.
and especially foolhardy when that person - is spending 38K on training nm
[ In Reply To ..]
good lord.
Not the exception.... - 2bz2sleep
[ In Reply To ..]
All of my classmates and others I know are.

And when I hire someone to transcribe the account, I get long emails how maybe after her homework, trips with hubby and kids, cooking dinner..... 2-3 days later I get 1 report back (3 reports only finished the entire week). In the meantime, work has backed up....... and my others. Great dictator, speaks clear English, easy ortho account. Guess she did not want to work. A lot only do this as some sort of hobby and do not take it seriously as a job let alone a career.
you are the exception and you know you are - see message
[ In Reply To ..]
we have gone through this so many times before! We KNOW you make great money. We are GLAD you make great money. But most people are not going to make that kind of money!
See message - 2bz2sleep
[ In Reply To ..]
Well, some people obviously do not want to do much about it. Case in point:

I posted I was giving away an account, easy ortho. I had 2 responses from the entire board. I am giving her my templates, priors, letting the doctor call in on the system, everything. This when everybody is complaining about NJA and how hard it is to find your own clients. Just 2!

I hired an MT to handle the account. She was rarely available for work despite me telling her how much work, days dictating, a client I was transcribing on top of numerous facilities and clinics, so it was even possible if she had more than 1 job.

Clueless.... Did I mention this was straight typing and an easy English-speaking doctor, pays better directly from client than working for a national.
we KNOW! - that has nothing to do with this thread!
[ In Reply To ..]
We know you are doing great, we know you have templates and crystal clear English speaking docs, but right this minute we are talking about a person who wants to spend 38K to become an MT.
But *I* won the lottery! YOU can do it too!!! - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
:{

I am so with you - minny

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been doing this for 13 years and I am absolutely fed up and disgusted with everything about it. I have never had a job where I have to work so hard, be so accurate, know so much, make such lousy money and be willing to work whenever they want you to. I am going back to school as well to be a medical coder/biller...What are you going back to school for? Minny

There is no such thing as an associates in MT - I would be changing schools quick

[ In Reply To ..]
Any school that offers that is NOT a good school. This is a minimum wage job, in the best case scenario. I would be getting out ASAP!

Awful rip-off. They may be the "Yale" of online colleges, - but MT is dying.

[ In Reply To ..]
I'd change not only degree but school. I don't know what the cost of this is,* but check out Western Governors for Health Informatics. Good reviews and good job prospects. I found out about it on the Coding board, but I agree with others who say it's probably best to stay away from coding too, especially if you're young and want a career to last you hopefully a lifetime. (And before "they" appear, yes, I know that Informatics *includes* coding. There are other aspects of Informatics that *can't* be offshored, though.)

*Actually, it's about $24,000 for a 4-year Bachelor's degree, so a much better bargain. They're very upfront about their costs.

http://www.wgu.edu/online_it_degrees/health_informatics_degree_details#tuition

I owe you an apology.... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I read your post and thought you must be full of it, until I saw it for myself.
http://online-degrees.college-scholarships.com/l/711/Kaplan-University

This is blowing my mind. That "university" just lost a lot of credibility in my book.

I wouldn't advise anyone to get into this field right now with all of the uncertainty it holds, let alone spend over 30 grand to do it. Insane! If you have that kind of dough to spend on an education, use it to do something worthwhile, IT, HIT, HIM, nursing for crying out loud, something with some stability.

Yep, I had to double-check too, that a 2-year A.S. *online* would cost that much. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
No wonder Doonesbury is making a big deal about *for-profit* colleges. Western Governors University is nonprofit, which is reflected in their tuition, which is about a third of Kaplan's.

Ah, Mel? s/m - me3

[ In Reply To ..]
You probably are not going to like what I write, but before you "just started going to school at" ______ (insert Any Name University Online) did you not carefully research and/or get the opinion of other people before making a decision to sink $38,000 into a degree in medical transcription, or any other online degree for that matter that was going to cost you $38,000?

I would think that that amount of money would cause an individual to do some very extensive checking, not only into the quality of the online university itself, but also into the salary range, job prospects and future job prospects in the field that one is going to be shelling out $38,000 to obtain a degree in.

One reads about this type of thing happening often, a person paying $35,000 to be a pastry chef and when it's too late discovers a pastry chef earns 10 or 13 dollars an hour, a person shelling out $38,000 for a "MT degree" and discovering too late that it's a dying field with dropping salaries, etc.

I hate to say it, but if people are that quick to throw large sums of money away on degrees without performing so much as a simple internet search before sinking themselves into $38,000 of debt well, then they get taken.

I just have some other thoughts - Im the OMG WHAT lady :-)

[ In Reply To ..]
Mel, I feel so bad you got into the wrong program. I'm more furious at any school for offering this.

Everyone has their reasons for getting into an MT job. I'm not sure if you've done any MT work. For me, I am so not a morning person and I wanted to be able to stay home and spend more time feeling like my own boss, but really I am not. I have a boss that I have to report in to work every day. I have been very fortunate to work for a company that I like the work, I like my supervisors and it's fun to do. Before I got this job I had nightmare jobs only averaging around 1.75 an hour. But it is true. I wish I could have a crystal ball to see into the future. I would have studied in a specific specialty like ultrasound tech or people who do sleep studies. Something specialized.

I think Medical Office Management is a better option, but I'd also do full research on that and find out what the job prospects for that field will look like by the time you get out of school. I've heard so many people go through school to come out and realize there is no work. In our searches of best career fields to get into, we've been reading a lot about database management (just another thing to think about). I thought I read awhile back that database managers are in great demand and get paid well.

Whatever you decide I wish you all the best. It has to be heartbreaking to sign up and after you've signed up realize it was the wrong thing to get into. I never tell anyone what to do because everyone is different, but I'm really urging you to take another look and see what other options you have. I promise you that you'll be thankful you did.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

These days it might be better not to train for a single - career, but to learn as many varied - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
skills as possible, especially general office skills, so that even if you haven't found your dream-job yet in your career of choice, you'll still have marketable skills to get you a job SOMEWHERE, even temporarily, to keep the rent money coming in.

Business courses are always good, especially if you should end up starting your own business someday, however small. If you can work out a budget and balance the books, you're just that much farther ahead than most people.

Being fluent in another language can be useful, as well. I'm amazed by how many jobs in my city REQUIRE bilinguality - in English and Spanish/Russian/Chinese/Vietnamese, to name a few.

Learn bookkeeping. Useful to a prospective employer, and useful to YOU.

Other things that I think could be useful to learn would include:
- All aspects of MS Office Suite.
- Adobe Photoshop.
- Spread sheets, desktop publishing.
- How to operate a cash register.
- As much math as you can stomach.
- Management courses. (Even if you don't want to be a manager, it would be nice to know how that breed thinks).
- Some jobs (such as in real estate, for example), value photographic skill.
- Any classes that teach good people skills. (LOL - I need that class!) Or time management. (How many job ads do we see that say, "must be able to multi-task in a fast-paced environment").
- Psychology courses.
- Sales courses.

Anyway, that's just a partial list, but I think you get what I'm trying to say. The more hats you can wear in a job, the more valuable you will be to a potential employer. Many of us in MT are finding ourselves back in school in order to get OUT of MT, because MT skills unfortunately are not that useful in getting a job anywhere else. Since MT is disappearing right out from under us, that's leaving a lot of us in a pretty precarious financial state.

Excellent post! - Mel please read this post - Im the OMG WHAT lady :-)

[ In Reply To ..]
You have written one of the best posts I've ever written. I hope Mel reads this post and it might be able to help her.

DH and I are firm believers of multiple streams of income. You've written some really good advice.

Thanks for posting.

it is reprehensible for any institution... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
to charge 38k for a nonexistant degree in a nonexitstant field. On that basis alone, you should be able to get your money back.

Under no circumstance would I invest 38k to become a medical practice manager. First off, the private medical practice is being absorbed by larger health systems and hospital corporations. Second, those private practices that do remain tend to seek individuals who have had experience in the allied medical professions or finance.

Lots of these schools offer programs that have all the buzzwords, but do absolutely nothing to train people for viable careers, and vastly overcharge students in the process.

I can't believe no one has said anything about... - Andrews School

[ In Reply To ..]
Mel, the best of the best of MT schools, where almost every graduate gets a job, which is rare that that happens these days, is Andrews School. To complete all the modules of this course, plus have help finding a job, is $3,800. No other school can even compare to the quality or level of reputation of Andrews School. If you are deadset you want to start in this career, this is the way to go...not to mention save yourself $34,000. Kaplan should be SHUT DOWN for even offering a non-existent "degree" for that kind of money. What a ripoff. Cancel your course NOW...and look at www.andrewsschool.com

Probably because almost none of us recommend even going into MT. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
One poster above, I believe, mentioned studying MT at community college (which would be cheaper than Andrews even) instead of shelling out $38,000 to Kaplan. Other than that, all the rest of us are not only decrying Kaplan, but also saying to stay away from MT totally.

I do agree that Andrews would be the very best place to learn MT. However, I also don't recommend anyone going into this profession at all anymore. Stick a fork in it, it's done.

Community colleges are not always cheaper than Andrews - Did the Math

[ In Reply To ..]
Community colleges are not necessarily less than Andrews for MT, coding, or anything else.

When you add up the tuition, fees, insurance, immunizations, background checks, application costs, graduation fees, test proctoring costs, gas and mileage, and . . .the unbelievable textbook and software costs (textbooks are often $100-200 each), not to mention the cost of loans for that, it is often more than $3800.

Andrews is inclusive. $3800 covers everything. Books, materials, and everything is included. No special software, no application or graduation fees, no health insurance, no background checks. No having to quit your job or take vacation time to do a silly internship. No having to buy a suit.

There is also no registration hassle with Andrews. No staying up to midnight or later to be first in line to register, no being pushed out by someone who needs the course more, no having to take courses at another college because you can't get in or it isn't offered online. No wasted time.

No prerequisites, either. No discovering that it will take 6 to 12 months to even start because you have to take med terms and anatomy to get in and there are math and English prerequisites for those. And that is IF you don't have to take prerequisites for the prerequisite math.

Not to mention the unhappy discovery at the end that you are unemployable because you can't transcribe or code. And that you can't pass the certification exams that would make you employable because your CC didn't teach that far.

Just started..... - outahere

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, change your degree goal as fast as you can. An Associates in medical transcription will be throwing good money after bad and you'll never, never make a good living as an MT no matter how hard and long you work.

I hope you haven't already paid - can you get out of it?

[ In Reply To ..]
that is sooooo much money and you will be repaying it for years and years while making minimum wage as an MT.

I don't believe the 38K at all - Unreal

[ In Reply To ..]
There's just no way they'd charge that much since that's more than they charge to become a pharmacist assistant.

Go check Kaplans website... right there in black and white - look under MT program

[ In Reply To ..]
Do the work to verify before you say you dont believe it.

Similar Messages:

Getting Started , Looking For School Advice ?
Jul 30, 2012

Hello, im interested in doing schooling for medical transcription, but what does that entail ? online school or campus training ? if both are offered which one will actually get me a job with the correct certifications? Are there jobs in this field or is this a fruitless effort ? i dont know much im just now investigating whether or not to go all in becaue i MUST be able to find a job afterward. . how long are the best programs ? and if you can think of anything off the top of your head , who sh ...

Medtrans MT School? Anyone Heard Of This? Looking To Start MT School That Is Affordable.
Dec 21, 2011

:) ...

Has Anyone Ever Gone Through Allied School For Coding? Other School Recommendations?
Jun 24, 2014

I was wondering if anyone has ever gone through Allied School in California for billing & coding.  If so, how was your experience?  Were you able to find work in coding after finishing the course and getting your certification?  I have been a medical transcriptionist for the past 10-11 years and am now looking at getting into coding.  My best friend and I are going to take a course together.   If you wouldn't recommend Allied as a school, who would you reco ...

Coding School - Considering Going To A School
Sep 22, 2011

I am an MT who is considering going to school for coding.  I am thinking about taking the course through Andrews and will probably start next year because I will have to save up some of the money.  I am wondering if you think coding may eventually go the way of medical transcription and be outsourced to India.  I do not think it will so I just wanted to get the opinions of other coders.  I realize it will be a hard course but I think it will be worth the effort.  Any thoughts would be appre ...

How To Get Started
Oct 27, 2009

I have been looking for a MT job since April when I finished my course training with MTatHome out of Texas.  I apply for spots that areposted as open but then get email back saying that they have no openings.  I have been in the Medical profession for 6 years as a CNA and I am getting ready for nursing school in the Fall of 2010.  I am just wanting to know what it will take to get my foot in the door in the MT field and get a job.  If anyone has any suggestion or can help me ...

I Just Started A New Job, And.......
Nov 07, 2009

I just finished my FIRST shift and when I checked my line count I was shocked.  Twice as much as I can do with MQ.  There is something seriously wrong at MQ.  At my new job, my CPL is a little less than MQ but not much. ...

Just Getting Started
Aug 24, 2010

hello-i am considering a change in jobs due to being terminated in may.  i am interested in becomng an MT, but now you guys got me thinking twice about my decision.  I know there are two sides to everyones story.  I'm not looking into making big bucks, at least what i was making at my last job, $25K.  Any suggestions on the best school?  I understand schools are going to say that the MT field is growing, but those of you that have been out there awhile, is it realll ...

How To Get Started As A MT?
Mar 30, 2011

Hello everyone!  I just found this forum.  I currently work part-time as a legal virtual assistant.  My background is in personal injury law and would like to get my feet wet and start medical and legal transcribing.  Would anyone be so kind as to advise how I start.  I already hold a B.A. in political science and do not think I need to go through a AA program.  Bottom line, I am confused and don't know where to begin.  Please help! Thank you!  ...

Looking To Get Started
Jun 06, 2012

I am looking to get started as a transcriptionist. What do I need to know? I have an associates degree (Liberal Arts). I can type pretty fast, and am pretty good at spelling. I am looking for advice on where I should start, or how to start being a transcriptionst. Thank you in advance for your information and advice. Dawn ...

Getting Started
Dec 22, 2014

I am a stay at home mom and I would like to get into MT. I am having a hard time sorting through the abundance of information out there. I have found programs that range from$400 to $5000. Can anyone give me advise about how to properly get schooling and procure a career? Thanks! ...

Has Anyone Helped Someone Else Get Started?
Mar 14, 2010

Hello all!  It has been some time since I have posted here but used to visit quite often.  My daughter-in-law is just about to finish my transcription course materials (she has finished the book work and is working on transcribing the voice files).  She has already started applying to companies, however she is running up against the same issue we have all run up against as newbies "experience required."  I am willing to sign a confidentiality agreement, have her work beside ...

A Saline S/l Well Was Started...
May 12, 2010

doc states "A saline s/l well was started. The pt was given 1 liter of bolus I.V. normal saline... Saline well?? ...

Started My First Job, But It Went Horrible!
Jun 08, 2010

Hey everybody, I just needed to vent a little bit. I started my first day on my first job, and it went absolutely horrible. I was using the Emdat InScribe platform, which seems easy enough, but they have sooo many templates that the doctor should be using and isn't. My first few reports were okay, but then everything went downhill. I'm supposed to use the templates, but half the time, I had to erase 3/4 of them because it wasn't what he was saying. The wrong templates would load, ...

Just Getting Started... Education??
Jun 17, 2011

Hello All! I have recently decided to begin a career in MT, and am trying to weigh my education options. I have a bachelor's degree in Hearing, Speech & Language Sciences, so I'm great with interpreting speech/language and am also pretty good at deciphering English as a second language. I've also worked for a hospital scheduling outpatient testing for the past three years, so I have a bit of a background in medical terminology (still so much to learn!) and the inner workings ...

Wanting To Know How Would I Get Started
Jan 25, 2011

I am looking for a job as a medical transcriptionist.  I like to work through my home.  I am attended college at Kaplan University, so I have not got my degree yet, but I believe I could do the work.  I am wanting to know how would I get started. ...

Started At TT Two Months Ago And
Jun 29, 2011

I never have work!  Second shift is not that busy like I was told it would be.  I am so bummed because I really like(d) the people there.  Now I have to look for work as an IC to make up for having small paychecks at TT.  Please tell me it gets better and this is just the summer slowness as we were told? ...

Training And Getting Started
Sep 08, 2011

I am retired from the accouting/budget field and am interested in obtaining a job working from home in the medical transcription/coding/billing field. How do I get started with training, etc.? Thanks for your assistance! ...

Just Started My Day And Already,,question Please
Mar 14, 2012

The account specs say cc should be mL...However, it says to use the docs template which has cc in there...Go by his template or make it right? ...

Just Started My Shift And Already NJA!!!!
Jun 20, 2012

:( ...

Started My First Day Of College :)
Sep 29, 2012

I just wanted to post that I completed my first week of college. The first day was scary, but by the second day I felt much more at ease. My first class happened to algebra, so wish me luck. I know that I am making the right decision, so I am hoping that I can start counting the days to when I can just give my notice. It is going to be tough, but it definitely is going to be worth it. ...

Started With A New Co. This Week Doing MT. They Are Sm
Jan 21, 2013

STILL out there. And I only sent out about 4 resumes. I am averaging 25.00 an hour TRAINING. I am NOT kidding.  Don't give up just yet. Keep looking. There are jobs out there.  You just need to find them. I would give you the name of this awesome place, but unfortunately, I'm not going to do that just yet. I know I took the last spot they were hiring for. BUT, I'm also having A LOT of family issues going on right now, so if I decide not to go past my training period wit ...

I Just Started With A New Company And
Jan 21, 2014

I am totally worn out.  I have never in my life worked so hard for so little money.  They nit-pick everything to death and there are so many pages of instructions that you just can't remember everything.  I don't know how these companies expect us to manage a gazillion accounts, each with different directions, etc., but they do.  McDonald's is looking better all the time. ...

Can Someone Tell Me When The Original ASR Started
Apr 10, 2014

Gathering information, for the life of me my mind has blocked out that trainwreck.. ...

Switch From MTs To MMEs Has Started
Nov 10, 2009

Well folks, email today regarding yet another MQ program- Account Trustee- those of us with good quality scores have the HONOR of sending reports directly through to the client with 2 blanks or less, thus bypassing QA.  Instead of addressing the issue WHY QA is so backlogged (could it be because so many QA were underpaid and have left) this is the new decision.  ...

Well, It Has Already Started, HIPAA Laws.
Feb 13, 2010

If we do not check our screen where patient name, info, attending, date of birth, blah blah blah is not correct or we did not check to make sure the dictator name is correct or attending name in the screen, of did not fill in attending or dictator for, this will have to be notified to HIPAA.  If company does not notify HIPAA that an MT made a mistake and did not correct patient name, dictator name, attending, etc., my company will be fined big time and possibly the MT too.  Honestly, ...

Medical Transcription, How To Get Started?
Feb 22, 2010

I finally graduated from MT training and wonder if anyone is willing to give a new graduate a beginning chance. I have filled out many applications but the bottom line is that they want 3-5  years of experience. How does one get a foot in the door. Thanks celloman ...

To The Lady That Started Her Own Company
May 17, 2010

You know who you are. You even asked questions on this board about setting up an MT company.   You have even stopped answering/reading e-mails, even though I have not harrassed you or have even been nasty.  I would, however, like to get paid.  Your excuses that you are waiting for lines counts from the client and that you will keep me updated is wearing thin.  Surely you must have line counts by now since the work was done in February.  Or is it because you have spe ...

New CCM In The South Started Out Great....sm
Jun 27, 2010

She was sending out lots of emails full of useful information, but has now pretty much turned into the old CCM with no communication and NEVER answers her emails.   Anybody else with this problem? ...

I Just Started ASR Today....and I Love It!
Jun 22, 2010

Its so easy.  I don't see alot of posts about the company i work for, so i won't post that, but their back end is fabulous!  And it was so easy today to do 190 lph, and I'm still training!  To those who have just decided they are "just not gonna do ASR", you better reconsider.  It is the wave of the future.  It works.  I am so glad I finally learned how to do it.  I really don't think we should shun it, we should embrace it.  Get your ...

Recently Started On ChartNet
Sep 26, 2010

I have recently started on ChartNet.  I read reviews, which are mostly positive, and my question is why? I find it cumbersome with all the headings you have to make with the control/shift keys and entering, starting new headers, etc.  Not very fluid at all (for me anyway).  Does anyone have advice/tips on how to make this more user-friendly?  Plus I lose reports and have no idea where they go or how to get them back, so I am losing line count as well.  I was happy to read all those positive ...