A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Just getting started... education?? - NatKay

Posted: Jun 17, 2011

Hello All!

I have recently decided to begin a career in MT, and am trying to weigh my education options.

I have a bachelor's degree in Hearing, Speech & Language Sciences, so I'm great with interpreting speech/language and am also pretty good at deciphering English as a second language. I've also worked for a hospital scheduling outpatient testing for the past three years, so I have a bit of a background in medical terminology (still so much to learn!) and the inner workings of physcian's offices and hospitals. I'm also a really great typist (80-90wpm with great accuracy).

So, I'm weighing my options as far as education goes... While I don't want to settle for a sub par education, I do want to get started and finish as quickly as possible, (dreadfully unhappy at my current job) while still learning/retaining all of the necessary info. I'm also still working full time, so I'm going to need something that is self-paced. One program I've come across is www.futuremt.com . While it is not an accredited course, the website explains why, and that it is in good standing with the BBB (so I don't think it's a ripoff). The course seems to have a lot to offer, including mentorship and job placement assistance. Do employers put a lot of emphasis on graduating from an *accredited* course? Also, anybody have any experience (or know anyone who has) with the FutureMT course?

Any insight and/or words of wisdom anyone has to offer is very much appreciated. :)

Thanks in advance!!

Research companies that are mentioned on this board - mt

[ In Reply To ..]
Some companies will only hire from certain schools. Most won't hire newbies at all, so you need to be prepared for not being able to find work. Most want 3-5 years experience. If I were you, I would definitely do some research in this field. The pay is really not that great. I don't know what you are currently making, but I know I barely make over minimum wage since they went Voice Recognition over typing, took a 50% paycut going to editing text, and have lost some of my typing speed just because it is barely used anymore.

I think MT is great if you are part-time and have a spouse that covers the bills. I know I could not do this business if I needed it to survive. They pay is just not good enough and I'm not willing to put in the long hours for about minimum wage.

Like I said, though, research the companies and see what experience they want or if they will hire from schools that aren't accredited.

MT courses - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
As well as the companies mentioned on this board, OAK Horizons has a wonderful course as well as a practicum with a company so you will get real work experience as well as extensive training. I went through OAK, and I've never had a problem getting a job. I was actually hired before I completed the course, but that was a few years ago. Good luck.

mt - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
When evaluating a school, "accredition" is not nearly as important as using the SUM program. And, not to argue but to politely differ, I know several MTs who are doing very well in the field and do not need anyone's ancillary support. Just saying. It can be done! :)

The schools I recommend (in order of preference) are:
1. Andrews.
2. M-TEC.

Good luck to all!

FutureMT - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
While I don't recommend anyone waste their time becoming an MT anymore, if you are determined to do it anyway, choose your school wisely. It really does make a big difference in your opportunities.

I know nothing about FutureMT, but doing a quick glance at their site, I see they only have 300+ dictations to transcribe for their course. This is not nearly enough to get adequate training.

FutureMT - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
Any program that does not (1) use the SUM program and (2) give you to real, live instructors (NOT an answer key which you use to "self-correct") is not worth it.

Whoops! - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
I mean to say "access TO real, live instructors." Even though it is still early on the West Coast, I am still tired. Only 16 weeks until retirement--YAY!

education - e84

[ In Reply To ..]
Hey!

Did you choose a school yet? I would definitely reccomend going through a school that offers an internship. I schooled through Med Workshops and they are thorough, helpful, and they supply you with the much-needed internship. I think they are the only school that does that. I have been working for them for almost two years now and have had great success with them. Good luck!

Similar Messages:

Education
Apr 13, 2011

Please help! I just completed an online MT course a month ago. While I was in the program, they added a couple classes, and in the process removed some of the course content from the class I was in. I now have to take the additional 2 classes (at an added expense) in order to "complete" their program. Their program was full of errors, and I was constantly contacting the school to correct THEIR answers! Needless to say, the level of education I received is not sufficient to gain employment, even ...

Bad Education
Mar 03, 2014

I went to school to be a medical coder. After I started the program I found out it was basically self taught. I completed it with a 3.8 gap. They didn't poo offer certification testing. It's been 3 years and I  still unemployed and not certified. What do I do? ...

Education Confusion!
May 09, 2010

So I am looking into making the switch from MT to coder.  The AHIMA program says it takes 15 months to complete and then you can sit for the CCA exam.  The AAPC program says you must complete it in 4 months and you can sit for CPC or CPC-H.  Wouldn't the latter be better?  I've been reading that CCA is pretty much worthless.  So, why would CCA take 15 months and CPC take 4 months?  Also, every job I've seen for a coder requires experience.  How c ...

Getting A Podiatry Education
Aug 21, 2010

I need help again (please)   "no evidence of any ulcer (sounds like quemous) to the foot". Patient is a diabetic but no signs of of ischemia.  Any ideas?    For some reaon I am learning a lot this week. ...

Education On $1,000.00 Budget.
Jul 15, 2011

I may be able to raise one thousand dollars in a few months time. Are there any worthwhile schools online that I can enroll in for MT? Which are the best within the budget limit? Which do you suggest? ...

Education Assistance
May 30, 2013

I am looking to go back to school to train in accounting. I thought I had seen in the past people talking about some education assistance we would be eligible for since work was going overseas (or something along those lines). Does anybody know where to get more information on this? Thanks! ...

Education Question
Oct 26, 2013

I thought that I read on here a little while ago where someone said that if you have a bachelor's degree you can take a certificate course or something to sit for the RHIA?  I have a bachelor's degree in business and I'm interested in this, if it is something that really exists.  Anyone know what I'm talking about? ...

This Little Education And Experience
Nov 16, 2014

I realize people use creative license on their linkedin pages, not everyone, but a lot of people, and it can be deceptive and/or outight lies.  But this?  Really?   http://www.linkedin.com/pub/h-lea-cope/47/935/290?trk=pub-pbmap ...

Lol...ad To Become An MT Instructor And They Will Provide You With A MT Education
Jun 24, 2010

Transcription Instructor and Will Train (Denver areas) Date: 2010-06-24, 9:43AM MDT Reply to: job-jeudz-1808559848@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?] Part time instructor position Med Workshops' Medical Transcription School wishes to hire an Online Instructor. Great opportunity for the right person to work from home in the healthcare and education fields. We may also provide a free education in Medical Transcription to the employee. About Med Workshops Med Workshops ...

Coding Education Timing
Oct 20, 2010

I'm looking for some feedback/advice on pursuing medical coding education.  I'm 53 and will be retiring from my current government position in about 3 years - about the time the ICD-10 will be in full implementation. (On the side, I work part-time as a medical transcriptionist.) I was advised to hold off on taking a medical coding course for a couple of years due to the fact I would be learning from the current ICD-9 and then have to have retraining later in the ICD ...

Continuing Education Webinar
Oct 08, 2012

I am just wondering if anybody finds the continuing education webinars helpful.  This month is on productivity...wondering if anybody thought it was helpful/worth the time. ...

Continuing Education/Certifying
Mar 18, 2013

I have been working as a Medical Assistant for about 12 yrs.  I want to make myself more marketable, expand my education, and get certified in this area.  I'm considering using Career Steps because they are the only one I found that offers an Editing program along with the MT certification.  I feel that will open my realm of qualifications.  Their tuition is between $2600 and $2700 and can be completed in about four months. Is that a reasonable tuition/timeframe? Any i ...

Medical Coding Education
Jan 16, 2014

I'm still in the process of researching various online schools, but if I were to sign up with a program within the next couple of weeks, is it feasible to think that I can get through the program and sit and take the CPC exam before the end of year?  I've been told that to make myself more marketable job-wise, that I should be certified in ICD-9 and then can go on and take the ICD-10 proficiency exam through AAPC early next year.  Any thoughts? ...

Coding Schools/education
Mar 26, 2014

I think it would be very helpful for many people if some of the more senior coding people on this forum could advise on what new coders should look for in a school or training program.  I'm not looking for specific names, but rather that you should make sure your school teaches A, B and C.  Things you want to avoid are X, Y and Z.    Personally, my first school would probably have done the trick (a community college) if not for the fact that they only off ...

Continuing Education Training?
Apr 02, 2015

for what?  To add to our knowledge base that is so valued that we are paid minimum wage?  to keep our skills honed so we are the best that we can be until you don't need us anymore?  how about some training that might be useful to us?  For instance, training for non-MT careers?     ...

L S (Lynn Schoeler) Coding And Education
Nov 14, 2010

I know, I have posted a lot here in the last few weeks... but I need to get started.  I have decided to focus on the outpatient coding.  I have thought of enrolling in Andrews, but I have been an MT for over 10 years now and I do not need the anatomy classes, etc.  I have always worked on the clinic side during my MT career.  I feel in my coding career I would like to do the same, preferably for an orthopedic office.  I feel that training on just this side (and having ...

Continuing Education Tax Credit For Andrews?
Dec 28, 2010

Anyone know if you can get the tax credit?  I asked the school and they were not sure.  They don't participate in federal financial assistance programs.  Anyone know?  Thanks. ...

Would Love Feedback On Training/Education - What Would You Want To Know?
Aug 10, 2011

Hello Everyone!  I'm a QC at a large MTSO and have recently been approached to do more on the education/training front.  I realize that in these times of pay by production, not everyone wants to get a ton of useless information that takes their time to read and/or toss.  I have a nursing background and feel that I would like to focus on the medical aspect especially, perhaps clearing up some confusion identified on quality assurance reviews as far as medical procedures/termin ...

Extra Coding Education Question
Aug 24, 2012

I completed an associate's degree last winter and got my RHIT credentials.  I have applied for a couple local coding jobs, which I did not get.  They both had a coding test I had to take and pass before they would interview me.  I failed both of these tests miserably.  It was embarrassing.  One lady who was the HIM manager asked me if my program even taught me how to code!  Yes, I have my RHIT, but I don't really know how to code!  I know the basics, ...

AHIMA Education Requirements Question - Help!
Mar 15, 2015

I began at Andrews a while back in the CCS ICD-9 studies and had to delay school due to some unforeseen personal issues.  I am now reinstated and in the final module of ICD-9 but am wondering what will happen if I am unable to finish up and test (and pass) before the probable ICD-10 implementation in October.  Will AHIMA still honor my certificate with Andrews as the necessary education requirement or will it have to specifically be for ICD-10?  I know it will be up to me to study ...

Career And Education Advice For Medical Transcription
Nov 14, 2009

Hello, I am looking for advice from some of the seasoned MT's and those who have been in the field for about a year now.   I am looking into medical transcription; initially for part-time supplemental income and down-the-road as a full-time career.   Here are the questions that I have: Which schools, particularly online courses, are well known for developing successful MT's; more specifically which programs are good at helping their graduates land jobs? For someone who ...

Advise About Where To Look For Educational Grants For Medical Coding Education
Mar 04, 2013

Dear Friends: My name is Suzie and I am a medical transcriptionist who wants to attend medical coding school, The Andrew's School, is the school I want to attend.  I would like to know if any of you have any suggestions about education grants that I can look into.  I would like some information.  Thank you in advance. Fondly, Suzie ...

Out Of The Mouths Of Babes! Last Night I Mentioned The Coding Education Offer To My Husband, Sm
Mar 11, 2014

and my teenage son, who has witnessed many meltdowns that I have had working for MM, was in earshot and simply said, Mom, wouldn't that be like marrying an abusive boyfriend?  His analogy was right on if you ask me! I have been sending out resumes, actively looking for another job and when I saw this I thought that it sounds great and is a very generous offer but in the end you will still be working for Mmodal who expects everything and gives nothing in return.  I am her ...

How To Get Started
Oct 27, 2009

I have been looking for a MT job since April when I finished my course training with MTatHome out of Texas.  I apply for spots that areposted as open but then get email back saying that they have no openings.  I have been in the Medical profession for 6 years as a CNA and I am getting ready for nursing school in the Fall of 2010.  I am just wanting to know what it will take to get my foot in the door in the MT field and get a job.  If anyone has any suggestion or can help me ...

I Just Started A New Job, And.......
Nov 07, 2009

I just finished my FIRST shift and when I checked my line count I was shocked.  Twice as much as I can do with MQ.  There is something seriously wrong at MQ.  At my new job, my CPL is a little less than MQ but not much. ...

Just Getting Started
Aug 24, 2010

hello-i am considering a change in jobs due to being terminated in may.  i am interested in becomng an MT, but now you guys got me thinking twice about my decision.  I know there are two sides to everyones story.  I'm not looking into making big bucks, at least what i was making at my last job, $25K.  Any suggestions on the best school?  I understand schools are going to say that the MT field is growing, but those of you that have been out there awhile, is it realll ...

How To Get Started As A MT?
Mar 30, 2011

Hello everyone!  I just found this forum.  I currently work part-time as a legal virtual assistant.  My background is in personal injury law and would like to get my feet wet and start medical and legal transcribing.  Would anyone be so kind as to advise how I start.  I already hold a B.A. in political science and do not think I need to go through a AA program.  Bottom line, I am confused and don't know where to begin.  Please help! Thank you!  ...

Looking To Get Started
Jun 06, 2012

I am looking to get started as a transcriptionist. What do I need to know? I have an associates degree (Liberal Arts). I can type pretty fast, and am pretty good at spelling. I am looking for advice on where I should start, or how to start being a transcriptionst. Thank you in advance for your information and advice. Dawn ...

Getting Started
Dec 22, 2014

I am a stay at home mom and I would like to get into MT. I am having a hard time sorting through the abundance of information out there. I have found programs that range from$400 to $5000. Can anyone give me advise about how to properly get schooling and procure a career? Thanks! ...

Has Anyone Helped Someone Else Get Started?
Mar 14, 2010

Hello all!  It has been some time since I have posted here but used to visit quite often.  My daughter-in-law is just about to finish my transcription course materials (she has finished the book work and is working on transcribing the voice files).  She has already started applying to companies, however she is running up against the same issue we have all run up against as newbies "experience required."  I am willing to sign a confidentiality agreement, have her work beside ...