A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Getting started - alshaw06

Posted: Dec 22, 2014

I am a stay at home mom and I would like to get into MT. I am having a hard time sorting through the abundance of information out there. I have found programs that range from$400 to $5000. Can anyone give me advise about how to properly get schooling and procure a career? Thanks!

Save your money - The MT train has

[ In Reply To ..]
sadly left the station.

no jobs? - alshaw06

[ In Reply To ..]
Job market decline?

No jobs? Honey, read the board. See all the complaints - about the whole MT biz everywhere??? sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Read the nuance and modal boards. That says it all. It shouldn't take a rocket scientist to sort through that information and make a wise decision.

You wont make squat working for barely minimum wage, that is, if there are any jobs by the time you'd finish school if you're foolish enough to throw your money down the drain to some matchbook school. As a noob, you'd be lucky to get hired by the worst of the worst because all the wise MTs have seen what the career has become and have left.

What you read here is true.
bummer - alshaw06
[ In Reply To ..]
I read that jobs were being phased out. I was hoping that was wrong. Back to the drawing board.
Sorry Charlie - see msg
[ In Reply To ..]
It's worse than not getting a job---sad, but true, if you do get a job you will be treated like a slave for slave wages. You will be harrassed, threatened with getting fired, and all sorts of good stuff. They expect you to produce a certain amount, but don't provide enough work for you to meet production requirements.

And the quality requirements--good grief.

Anyway, thanks for paying attention to us. Sooo many don't believe us, then come back crying saying they should have listened.

I was in the biz for 14 years and got out 2 years ago. Best of luck to you. With the way technology is these days, it's not all that hard to find a job working from home.
I've been an MT for 35+ years. Got laid off - this year & cant find work anywhere.
[ In Reply To ..]
The only saving grace is that I'll be old enough next year to collect social security. Otherwise, I'd starve.
PS: Thank-you to CF- the MT who emailed - me and gave me some leads! :)
[ In Reply To ..]
Merry Christmas to you, too!
I don't mean to butt in or take anything away from anyone, but - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I am so close to desperate, I could use some leads, too, please. I appreciate any and all!
you're not back to the drawing board - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
Study medical billing instead. The demand is increasing for home-based billers.
That's gone offshore, too. As will coding. - Working at home is its own ball & chain -
[ In Reply To ..]
and doesn't pay squat, unless you're writing the next great American novel and they turn it into a movie. Otherwise, it's better to get out of the house and look for a real job. More job security to become a plumber, vet tech, electrician, dental assistant or trucker these days.

Medical transcription has become obsolete. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]

No jobs? - Nick

[ In Reply To ..]
Asking if there are no jobs in MT is like asking if the pope is Catholic. Please, please, please do some serious research about what has happened to MT before you spend one thin dime on an MT education. I was happy as an MT for quite a few years; I am now looking forward to a career in law. Good luck!

STAY AT HOME MOM - MUZZY

[ In Reply To ..]
The first thing you need to learn - small children will never let you work on the computer doing dictation. Once they figure out your attention is not on them at their will they will make your work time a living hell. You will need a babysitter for small children, even if you are working at home. I imagine older children are much the same about the attention-not-on me routine. Small children - NB to preschool age. Next age group, preschool to 3rd grade (thereabouts). Just because you are in the house does not mean the kids will let you work. Very important thing to know before you attempt working from home with small children.

This is not a good time to "get into MT." Can't make any money anymore and unless you are lucky to get with the right company they will demoralize you mentally and ruin you physically trying to keep up with the idiotic demands made on us today. Find something else to do at home - not worth it anymore. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

My "advise" - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Don't do it. So many of us are getting out. Please research MT further and then make a decision. Of course, this is just my opinion. Good luck!

thanks - alshaw06

[ In Reply To ..]
I really appreciate every ones responses. I read alot about electronic dictation and how they are doing away with transcription. I worked retail in management for 14 years up until my third baby was born this year and I do not want to go back into retail. I have been home for 8 months now and I love it but would like to make some money! The only other thing I have found is call center positions and I an not real keen on that idea.

More ADVICE - kringle

[ In Reply To ..]
This is not a job you can do around a crying baby. This is a real job with a time clock and you have minimum line counts and insane accuracy requirements to obtain hourly. Take in a few kids as an at home day care, or get into selling things on ebay.
thanks - alshaw06
[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for the response. My son isn't a crying newborn, but I understand your response. I have a full time sitter available from when I worked before. I am not under the understanding that it is an easy job that can be taken lightly. I am looking for something from home because my husband works on call 6 days a week and I like the flexibility of being home to see him when he happens to be home. I run a daycare out of my home currently but I miss adult conversation and pressing myself to achieve goals, besides how fast I can change diapers!
getting started - patricia
[ In Reply To ..]
It's a shame everybody has to discourage you, but I have to say the last few years have been just absolute you know what for me, the last 3-4 years and it has mentally wore me down and drained me. You really can't hardly make very good money anymore, and it is true that many companies do kind of harrass you about your line counts, QA, etc. It's just very, very stressful sometimes and it ruins the joy of the job, the constant monitoring, major errors, minor errors, critical errors. You've oftentimes got so much stress hanging over your head. There are a few, not too many, companies that don't do this but oftentimes it just is the case.
Well - See Msg
[ In Reply To ..]
You won't have adult conversation doing MT. You don't talk to anybody, except your supervisor once in a blue moon. If you are talking to your supervisor more than that, then it's usually not a good conversation, LOL.

Good luck.
I agree with the above poster - momMT
[ In Reply To ..]
One of the things I miss as an MT is adult conversation. You will not get it doing this. I find it lonely and isolating.

As for having a babysitter, I can't imagine that you would have any actual income from an MT job if you had to pay a sitter.

I also became an MT years ago so that I could be home for my kids, and I have always worked late nights or very early mornings while they are sleeping. Now that they are a little older and in school I can get a few hours in the afternoons. This is exhausting!

Sorry this isn't very encouraging, but it's the truth. I would never recommend MT to anyone the way it is now.

Try medical coding or medical billing - depressed

[ In Reply To ..]
There is never enough work to go around and the pay is at or below minimum wage. MT will soon become extinct (at least I this country).

Unfortunately, coding and billing can be done - offshore and/or automated, too.

[ In Reply To ..]
Healthcare in general is enterin a very dark phase right now. I would look for a different industry altogether.

You can make a living if you intend to move to India sm - acuteMLS

[ In Reply To ..]
but if you need to live here, then you will work your fingers to the bone, your children will need to be out of the house while you're working, and you will make NO money doing it. Find something else to do.

WHAT THEY ARE SAYING IS TRUE.. - THE PROBLEM IS...

[ In Reply To ..]
The problem is India and the Philippines are doing a LOT of the work. They speak fair to good English and their wages are SO LOW compared to ours that it is very lucrative for the MT companies to send the work overseas. The big MT companies pretend to want USA workers (and the big companies are the only ones that will hire "newbies") That way they can get out of being penalized for outsourcing all the work.

What they leave the US workers are the dredges that the Indians can't hear. In other words, the ESL doctors...especially the INDIAN doctors. Ha ha. Funny, huh? The Indians can't understand the "English" that the Indian doctors speak !! So that is what we get (mostly).

The big companies even have a clause in their employee handbook now that USA workers can not transcribe out of country. I suppose a few actually moved to India and got American wages. Wow...that would be good money in India no matter how little it translates in US money.

There are a few small companies still out there but they are in jeopardy of being gobbled up by the BIG TWO. That happened to me.

I got in 10 years ago and it was already too late...have never made much money.

What they said about the kids is true. No matter if they have halos, they will not let you work. The big companies now require a time clock and will not let you multi-task and work around the kids and housework. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Working From - Home

[ In Reply To ..]
I think some parents get it confused that if they have a work-at-home job, they can watch their kids. Nope, not going to happen. Especially if your activity is being monitored. A parent working from home would still would have to put his/her kid(s) into daycare just to get the job done.

Try another field. - cindy

[ In Reply To ..]
This field is dead. There are no jobs and no future for this. You will be wasting your money.

Try something else.

Advice - McFeist

[ In Reply To ..]
Go to Andrews for training if they still offer training for MT. My school (MTEC) finally shut it down due to industry changes. I am starting a new non-MT job in January. I have been limping along doing MT as a side job for the last few years, went back to school, and I finally landed a really good job!

No, DON'T go to Andrews or anywhere else - Jane

[ In Reply To ..]
Andrews is and always has been the finest MT school in the world. I am not knocking Andrews; I respect it and admire its owner for her integrity, kindness, and intelligence. But having a certificate from Andrews will not help you if there are no jobs to be had. That is not the fault of Andrews--they did everything right. It is the fault of corporate greed in the world, over which Andrews has no control. So, yes, Andrews is a fine school, but the problem is, there are no jobs.

Some ADVICE from an Old Pro - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
Dear Friend, Up until the time of my retirement two years ago, I had been in the MT world since 1968. During that time I worked as both an MT and as an MTSO. I have taught MT, have had many profitable clients, and, although I am far from "rich," I was able to retire comfortably. I have to live on a budget, but we do get by. (We live modestly and simply.) That said, I urge you to listen to the younger people on here (I'm 70) who are still in the trenches. They are absolutely spot-on when they tell you to seek something else. As an example, when I left my last full-time MT gig two years ago, we received 500 applications for every opening posted. Please keep in mind that these applications came from people with anywhere from 1-25 years in the field, people who knew the business inside-out, and whose command of the English language was flawless. The work has largely been offshored. Huge companies have come in and eaten the little ones. (I should know--it happened to me.) The care and kindness that many individuals (and I count myself among them) had for MTs is not evident in corporate America, not at all. In our golden years, the most experienced MTs were paid 11 cpl, or in a rare case for truly problem accounts, 12 cpl. I seriously doubt that anybody is getting that today. Between the advent of speech recognition and the corporate takeovers/offshoring, the MT world as I knew (and loved) it no longer exists. It is merely a fond memory of what once was. Several years ago, a niece of mine wanted my help in becoming an MT. Like you, she is a mother who wanted to work from home. I told her that I would be happy to help her with college, and even with law school or medical school if she chose that route, or any other kind of trade or professional education she chose, but I could not in good conscience support her in getting into MT in this day and time. She has four little ones and I do not want to see them starve! I would not want it on my conscience that I led someone down the mythical path to "making lots of money working from home." It is not only cruel but also unethical to give people false hope. For many years in the Sixties and Seventies, I did just that--worked from home--and I made good money doing it. But that was then, and this is now, and I fear for the people who, in good faith, get sucker-punched into paying some school tuition for an education that will not help them. Truly, my friend, you could invest your money (and it IS an investment) in a much better career opportunity. This is just the opinion of one older lady, but this old gal has been around the block and seen a few things, and I have tangled with the big boys (and some girls as well, but not so much) who ruined our profession all in the name of greed. Please go over to the Nuance and M*Modal boards and read the posts there. Do you see anyone posting who is truly glad to have the job they have? Do they feel they are being treated well? Or do they feel like machines? Chances are they have a mortgage to pay and children to support, so they stay. I do not know you, but I truly do wish you the best. I will say to you the same thing I said to my niece: Of course, it is your right to choose any career you wish. But I hope you chose well and get something that will sustain you--and that is why I cannot recommend an MT career in 2014, almost 2015. Whatever you choose, I do hope that you find something that meets your needs. Best of luck to you.

mt - alshaw06

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you, all of you, for taking time to respond. You have made it very clear that this is a dying field with jobs becoming obsolete. I had read articles that stated the same thing but I wanted to find real people and get their opinions, which I did. I appreciate it so very much and I wish you all the best! Thanks again!

Agree w/many others - see message

[ In Reply To ..]
Go to school for something else - coder, medical records technician (RHIT/RHIA), - anything but MT. More companies are offering coders the choice to work from home. Also, there are companies that offer work at home customer service representative jobs. Go to Indeed dot com or Google and see what you can find. Court reporters still seem to be in demand (though you obviously can't work from home), and the wages are very good. Coming from an experienced MT, get out of the field! Good luck.

Similar Messages:

How To Get Started
Oct 27, 2009

I have been looking for a MT job since April when I finished my course training with MTatHome out of Texas.  I apply for spots that areposted as open but then get email back saying that they have no openings.  I have been in the Medical profession for 6 years as a CNA and I am getting ready for nursing school in the Fall of 2010.  I am just wanting to know what it will take to get my foot in the door in the MT field and get a job.  If anyone has any suggestion or can help me ...

I Just Started A New Job, And.......
Nov 07, 2009

I just finished my FIRST shift and when I checked my line count I was shocked.  Twice as much as I can do with MQ.  There is something seriously wrong at MQ.  At my new job, my CPL is a little less than MQ but not much. ...

Just Getting Started
Aug 24, 2010

hello-i am considering a change in jobs due to being terminated in may.  i am interested in becomng an MT, but now you guys got me thinking twice about my decision.  I know there are two sides to everyones story.  I'm not looking into making big bucks, at least what i was making at my last job, $25K.  Any suggestions on the best school?  I understand schools are going to say that the MT field is growing, but those of you that have been out there awhile, is it realll ...

How To Get Started As A MT?
Mar 30, 2011

Hello everyone!  I just found this forum.  I currently work part-time as a legal virtual assistant.  My background is in personal injury law and would like to get my feet wet and start medical and legal transcribing.  Would anyone be so kind as to advise how I start.  I already hold a B.A. in political science and do not think I need to go through a AA program.  Bottom line, I am confused and don't know where to begin.  Please help! Thank you!  ...

Looking To Get Started
Jun 06, 2012

I am looking to get started as a transcriptionist. What do I need to know? I have an associates degree (Liberal Arts). I can type pretty fast, and am pretty good at spelling. I am looking for advice on where I should start, or how to start being a transcriptionst. Thank you in advance for your information and advice. Dawn ...

Has Anyone Helped Someone Else Get Started?
Mar 14, 2010

Hello all!  It has been some time since I have posted here but used to visit quite often.  My daughter-in-law is just about to finish my transcription course materials (she has finished the book work and is working on transcribing the voice files).  She has already started applying to companies, however she is running up against the same issue we have all run up against as newbies "experience required."  I am willing to sign a confidentiality agreement, have her work beside ...

A Saline S/l Well Was Started...
May 12, 2010

doc states "A saline s/l well was started. The pt was given 1 liter of bolus I.V. normal saline... Saline well?? ...

Started My First Job, But It Went Horrible!
Jun 08, 2010

Hey everybody, I just needed to vent a little bit. I started my first day on my first job, and it went absolutely horrible. I was using the Emdat InScribe platform, which seems easy enough, but they have sooo many templates that the doctor should be using and isn't. My first few reports were okay, but then everything went downhill. I'm supposed to use the templates, but half the time, I had to erase 3/4 of them because it wasn't what he was saying. The wrong templates would load, ...

Just Getting Started... Education??
Jun 17, 2011

Hello All! I have recently decided to begin a career in MT, and am trying to weigh my education options. I have a bachelor's degree in Hearing, Speech & Language Sciences, so I'm great with interpreting speech/language and am also pretty good at deciphering English as a second language. I've also worked for a hospital scheduling outpatient testing for the past three years, so I have a bit of a background in medical terminology (still so much to learn!) and the inner workings ...

Wanting To Know How Would I Get Started
Jan 25, 2011

I am looking for a job as a medical transcriptionist.  I like to work through my home.  I am attended college at Kaplan University, so I have not got my degree yet, but I believe I could do the work.  I am wanting to know how would I get started. ...

Started At TT Two Months Ago And
Jun 29, 2011

I never have work!  Second shift is not that busy like I was told it would be.  I am so bummed because I really like(d) the people there.  Now I have to look for work as an IC to make up for having small paychecks at TT.  Please tell me it gets better and this is just the summer slowness as we were told? ...

Training And Getting Started
Sep 08, 2011

I am retired from the accouting/budget field and am interested in obtaining a job working from home in the medical transcription/coding/billing field. How do I get started with training, etc.? Thanks for your assistance! ...

Just Started My Day And Already,,question Please
Mar 14, 2012

The account specs say cc should be mL...However, it says to use the docs template which has cc in there...Go by his template or make it right? ...

Just Started My Shift And Already NJA!!!!
Jun 20, 2012

:( ...

Started My First Day Of College :)
Sep 29, 2012

I just wanted to post that I completed my first week of college. The first day was scary, but by the second day I felt much more at ease. My first class happened to algebra, so wish me luck. I know that I am making the right decision, so I am hoping that I can start counting the days to when I can just give my notice. It is going to be tough, but it definitely is going to be worth it. ...

Started With A New Co. This Week Doing MT. They Are Sm
Jan 21, 2013

STILL out there. And I only sent out about 4 resumes. I am averaging 25.00 an hour TRAINING. I am NOT kidding.  Don't give up just yet. Keep looking. There are jobs out there.  You just need to find them. I would give you the name of this awesome place, but unfortunately, I'm not going to do that just yet. I know I took the last spot they were hiring for. BUT, I'm also having A LOT of family issues going on right now, so if I decide not to go past my training period wit ...

Just Started School For A MT
Apr 05, 2013

I just started going to school (Kaplan University Online) for my Associates in Medical Transcription. From what I am hearing I should change my degree immediately. I have been thinking about changing my degree to Medical Office Management instead. Any thoughts? ...

I Just Started With A New Company And
Jan 21, 2014

I am totally worn out.  I have never in my life worked so hard for so little money.  They nit-pick everything to death and there are so many pages of instructions that you just can't remember everything.  I don't know how these companies expect us to manage a gazillion accounts, each with different directions, etc., but they do.  McDonald's is looking better all the time. ...

Can Someone Tell Me When The Original ASR Started
Apr 10, 2014

Gathering information, for the life of me my mind has blocked out that trainwreck.. ...

Switch From MTs To MMEs Has Started
Nov 10, 2009

Well folks, email today regarding yet another MQ program- Account Trustee- those of us with good quality scores have the HONOR of sending reports directly through to the client with 2 blanks or less, thus bypassing QA.  Instead of addressing the issue WHY QA is so backlogged (could it be because so many QA were underpaid and have left) this is the new decision.  ...

Well, It Has Already Started, HIPAA Laws.
Feb 13, 2010

If we do not check our screen where patient name, info, attending, date of birth, blah blah blah is not correct or we did not check to make sure the dictator name is correct or attending name in the screen, of did not fill in attending or dictator for, this will have to be notified to HIPAA.  If company does not notify HIPAA that an MT made a mistake and did not correct patient name, dictator name, attending, etc., my company will be fined big time and possibly the MT too.  Honestly, ...

Medical Transcription, How To Get Started?
Feb 22, 2010

I finally graduated from MT training and wonder if anyone is willing to give a new graduate a beginning chance. I have filled out many applications but the bottom line is that they want 3-5  years of experience. How does one get a foot in the door. Thanks celloman ...

To The Lady That Started Her Own Company
May 17, 2010

You know who you are. You even asked questions on this board about setting up an MT company.   You have even stopped answering/reading e-mails, even though I have not harrassed you or have even been nasty.  I would, however, like to get paid.  Your excuses that you are waiting for lines counts from the client and that you will keep me updated is wearing thin.  Surely you must have line counts by now since the work was done in February.  Or is it because you have spe ...

New CCM In The South Started Out Great....sm
Jun 27, 2010

She was sending out lots of emails full of useful information, but has now pretty much turned into the old CCM with no communication and NEVER answers her emails.   Anybody else with this problem? ...

I Just Started ASR Today....and I Love It!
Jun 22, 2010

Its so easy.  I don't see alot of posts about the company i work for, so i won't post that, but their back end is fabulous!  And it was so easy today to do 190 lph, and I'm still training!  To those who have just decided they are "just not gonna do ASR", you better reconsider.  It is the wave of the future.  It works.  I am so glad I finally learned how to do it.  I really don't think we should shun it, we should embrace it.  Get your ...

Recently Started On ChartNet
Sep 26, 2010

I have recently started on ChartNet.  I read reviews, which are mostly positive, and my question is why? I find it cumbersome with all the headings you have to make with the control/shift keys and entering, starting new headers, etc.  Not very fluid at all (for me anyway).  Does anyone have advice/tips on how to make this more user-friendly?  Plus I lose reports and have no idea where they go or how to get them back, so I am losing line count as well.  I was happy to read all those positive ...

Oracle New-hires, Have You Started Yet?
Oct 05, 2010

I have received zero info about the new account the new hires are for. Anyone else?  Is lack of communication a problem? ...

Things Started To Change At WMX
Jun 21, 2011

I noticed things starting to change at WMX when they bought that transcription company..what was it about 1 year or 2 ago.  As changes were constantly being made, even our managers werent as nice as they used to be.  I started there more than 7 years ago and it was great back then, but then after about 5 years, things started happening and none of the changes benefitted the MTs. ...

Has Anyone Started The MTTest And Had To Finish (sm)
Dec 08, 2010

it the next day?  Will they save your test overnight?  I started late today and ran into a problem (personal) and was wondering if I could finish the test tomorrow.  Appreciate any info. ...

Anybody Use Vonage With A C-phone? I Just Started
Aug 30, 2011

a job that requires the use of a C-phone.  So consequently I forward my vonage phone calls to my cell while I'm working.  However, not every phone call gets forwarded!  Has anyone else noticed this problem?  It's driving me nuts.  Plus I've noticed after a certain period of time, my line will just automatically disconnect causing me to have to dial back into the system.  I wonder if there is something up with Vonage where they regulate time spent on t ...