A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I just started with a new company and - Worn out

Posted: Jan 21, 2014

I am totally worn out.  I have never in my life worked so hard for so little money.  They nit-pick everything to death and there are so many pages of instructions that you just can't remember everything.  I don't know how these companies expect us to manage a gazillion accounts, each with different directions, etc., but they do.  McDonald's is looking better all the time.

I agree completely - CLB

[ In Reply To ..]
Until 2011, I worked for the same (wonderful) company for 18 years, who appreciated me. Within a year of starting there, my boss recognized I was very good at what I did. I was training new employees, and I eventually wrote the training manual and helped train the VR software. By year 3 I was the top producer, and remained so for the next 12 years. While doing QA and training, I NEVER nitpicked the MTs' work, I didn't make BOS more important than the dictator's actual words, and certainly didn't "grade" MTs and take off "points" as if they were in elementary school.

Anyways, fast forward to my boss retiring, I fortunately found a good job with another company, and then ended up through a merger with one of the national MTSOs. This year, I was given 2 days of training on a new platform, and then given 1 week to become familiar with 20+ different facilities across the country on that platform. Not only did I have my work picked apart for not correcting "the patient" vs "patient" (VR), but because I was sending more than 5% to QA for questions, my pay was docked 3 cpl. Yes, if you were making 4 cpl, that means you would be making 1 cpl. Honestly, how could anyone work for this? I quit. I actually hated to be a 'quitter', but my husband reminded me how bad it had become (working every holiday, the stress, the eye strain from staring at a screen for hours because of clocking in and "active" time, my wrists/back/neck hurt, and I would literally cry from frustration because of less experienced "QA" picking apart every report for subjective, inconsequential 'errors').

BTW, in my instance, fortunately I could afford to quit and take some time to look for a new job/field. I absolutely understand those who who can't leave because of circumstances. I personally don't understand why people derisively tell MTs who are venting and complaining to "just leave". That's not realistic.

CLB, I just quit... - me too

[ In Reply To ..]
...from the same evil empire as you did. It is unfathomable to me that they will dock the MTs' pay that way. Evil evil evil company.

There must be a law against stealing your pay this way SM - Matt

[ In Reply To ..]
They need to be reported to the labor board.
Why the DISLIKE?? sm - Matt
[ In Reply To ..]
Are you against the DOL or just don't want to be paid a fair wage or anyone else to either?

Not trolling, not stirring the pot, just a question.

How could a co. dock you 3cpl SM - SamMT

[ In Reply To ..]
and leave you with 1 cpl? After taxes, that would leave less than 1 cpl .... and way below minimum wage for ANY state. E.G., to make $7.35/hour, you would have to type/edit 735 lph ... a physical impossibility!

They dock and then make up the difference to pay minimum wage. - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
But who wants to work such a high-stress job for minimum wage after decades of experience? Not me.

It must be MM. - they are bad,

[ In Reply To ..]
but I think N may just a little bit worse.

No, it isn't - Worn out

[ In Reply To ..]
Now I am being told I'm not fast enough after working for them less than a week. I am trying not to make mistakes so am being extra-careful and now I'm too slow. I am crying all the time because of other personal issues as well and I don't know how much more I can take. I used to love being an MT and now I can't stand it any more.

Worn out - Effie

[ In Reply To ..]
Worn out, just wanted to send a hug... just remember, this too shall past.

I have SO been there ... sm - Kindres Spirit

[ In Reply To ..]
Here is another big cyber hug for you. I think we've all been there. I've done the crying at the keyboard for sure. It's just not fair, I know.

On the bright side, you have gotten over the worst part of starting a new job - that first week is always the worst. I will bet your second week will go a lot better.

MM is not bad at all, they're a cake walk compared to some. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

If I shut out all distractions and concentrate I can do 500 lph - at MModal

[ In Reply To ..]
trust me you could do worse.
I could do 300 lph at MM - on a good day, with the stars aligned just so.
[ In Reply To ..]
if there was any work
If, if, if - Lucky
[ In Reply To ..]
You must be lucky. I could also increase my LPH if I focused for awhile, a couple of hours, but then my BOB would run out and I would be thrown into the cesspool with unfamiliar accounts, having to scour CPs for the smallest details, and my LPH would then fall. I just pace myself, don't go too slow or too fast. Fast or slow, I still end up with the same LPH.

Totally get that - longtimemt

[ In Reply To ..]
NJPR is hiring, not a lot of instructions, very simple program but the account is extremely lopsided with ESL, more than I have ever encountered in my career.

worn out - cloverport

[ In Reply To ..]
I am beginning to think we work for the same company. I just started a few weeks ago with a company, and the same thing is happening to me. I am making less than $3 an hour for this crap. I am looking elsewhere.

sad posts - whatwzthat

[ In Reply To ..]
I feel sad when I read these...I hope y'all can find something better and soon. Good thoughts! ;)
It's harder yet when you're old - Worn out
[ In Reply To ..]
You don't "catch on" as fast and they don't appreciate the fact that you have been doing transcription for 40+ years. It is all about hurry, hurry, learn everything yesterday, hurry up and type to make US the money while you are making pennies a line, etc. When you're old, you also don't have the option to start over with a new career by going back to school and having nobody wanting to hire you because of your age, etc. It is a lose-lose situation all the way around. You can't live on Social Security. It is VERY depressing!
60+ and struggling too - oaf
[ In Reply To ..]
You are so right! I too have 40 years experience. But you are right - hurry, hurry is all they want. I have health issues but too proud to go for disability - but it may be an option. Just know you are not the only DEPRESSED OLDER MT trapped in this awful situation. Also I hate VR!!!

worn out - beenatherendonethat

[ In Reply To ..]
Sounds familiarly like my experience with Patient First. Total waste of time!!

But, as to your situation, think of it like this -- You can work for so little with any MSTO, they all pay peanuts, so why stay with a company that stresses you out and makes you cry all the time. In that situation they are actually getting all your time; as the hours you are not actually working for them they are getting free because you are crying and stressing over the job and cannot enjoy it as YOUR TIME!

Move on..don't give a company YOUR LIFE for so little income.

There are virtually no MTSO companies that SM - Sam

[ In Reply To ..]
DON'T stress you out, keep you broke, make impossible demands ... so moving around is not really an option for most of us. We're stuck ... we know it and THEY know it and are using it to their advantage for all it's worth.

It's very difficult for older workers also to get hired for an outside job, whether in a hospital or at McD's. We know age discrimination is illegal, but it's still there, alive & well.

Similar Messages:

To The Lady That Started Her Own Company
May 17, 2010

You know who you are. You even asked questions on this board about setting up an MT company.   You have even stopped answering/reading e-mails, even though I have not harrassed you or have even been nasty.  I would, however, like to get paid.  Your excuses that you are waiting for lines counts from the client and that you will keep me updated is wearing thin.  Surely you must have line counts by now since the work was done in February.  Or is it because you have spe ...

I Just Started Working For A Company With VR
Oct 17, 2011

I started working for a company 2 weeks ago and it's about 99% VR, so I just edit all day.  Sometimes I would rather type it because it would be faster than editing. Other times it is faster to just edit it. The problem is, it is going to take at least the length of the recording to get the job done either way, but with VR I'm being paid only 4 cents a line.  It's the same work for less than half the pay I had before with straight typing. I just calculated up what I made ...

Started Working For A Company 2 Weeks Ago And
Mar 10, 2011

so, what do you think?  I started working with them 2 weeks ago and at first, you have to pend all your work to QA which I have been doing and I haven't heard anything from anyone.  Every other company I have worked with send you QA feedback so you know if you are on track or not.  I am just worried that this place is shady and when it comes time to get paychecks, I will have a hard time. ...

Our Company Just Started Using A Voice Recognition Program
Jul 11, 2010

Our company just started using a voice recognition program.  Obviously, we get paid LESS PER LINE for reports doing it this way. The way I see it - this is a way to pay MTs LESS than they are worth.  Of course, there is less typing, but with the voice recognition program I use, I feel like it would be faster for me to just type the dang report than make all of the corrections, medical, grammar, etc. ...

Would You Stay With Your Company If They Started Sending Some Work Overseas?
May 11, 2012

My company has begun, one by one, sending accounts overseas.  We only have one account left being typed by those of us in the US, and I imagine that one is going over there soon.  They lie to us about where the work is going or tell us that there's just not a lot coming in.  But MT's can go into each job typed and also see the amount of work coming in.  It's obvious that the jobs are now being typed by people whose first language is not English.  I'm ...

At Your Company, Are Your Company-observed Holidays Paid By The Company?
Oct 07, 2014

I am working at a company who observes certain holidays and we are required to work 4 of them, but this is the first company I have ever worked where I have to use my PTO on the holiday I am supposed to be off.  Does your company do the same?     Thank you! :) ...

How To Get Started
Oct 27, 2009

I have been looking for a MT job since April when I finished my course training with MTatHome out of Texas.  I apply for spots that areposted as open but then get email back saying that they have no openings.  I have been in the Medical profession for 6 years as a CNA and I am getting ready for nursing school in the Fall of 2010.  I am just wanting to know what it will take to get my foot in the door in the MT field and get a job.  If anyone has any suggestion or can help me ...

I Just Started A New Job, And.......
Nov 07, 2009

I just finished my FIRST shift and when I checked my line count I was shocked.  Twice as much as I can do with MQ.  There is something seriously wrong at MQ.  At my new job, my CPL is a little less than MQ but not much. ...

Just Getting Started
Aug 24, 2010

hello-i am considering a change in jobs due to being terminated in may.  i am interested in becomng an MT, but now you guys got me thinking twice about my decision.  I know there are two sides to everyones story.  I'm not looking into making big bucks, at least what i was making at my last job, $25K.  Any suggestions on the best school?  I understand schools are going to say that the MT field is growing, but those of you that have been out there awhile, is it realll ...

How To Get Started As A MT?
Mar 30, 2011

Hello everyone!  I just found this forum.  I currently work part-time as a legal virtual assistant.  My background is in personal injury law and would like to get my feet wet and start medical and legal transcribing.  Would anyone be so kind as to advise how I start.  I already hold a B.A. in political science and do not think I need to go through a AA program.  Bottom line, I am confused and don't know where to begin.  Please help! Thank you!  ...

Looking To Get Started
Jun 06, 2012

I am looking to get started as a transcriptionist. What do I need to know? I have an associates degree (Liberal Arts). I can type pretty fast, and am pretty good at spelling. I am looking for advice on where I should start, or how to start being a transcriptionst. Thank you in advance for your information and advice. Dawn ...

Getting Started
Dec 22, 2014

I am a stay at home mom and I would like to get into MT. I am having a hard time sorting through the abundance of information out there. I have found programs that range from$400 to $5000. Can anyone give me advise about how to properly get schooling and procure a career? Thanks! ...

Has Anyone Helped Someone Else Get Started?
Mar 14, 2010

Hello all!  It has been some time since I have posted here but used to visit quite often.  My daughter-in-law is just about to finish my transcription course materials (she has finished the book work and is working on transcribing the voice files).  She has already started applying to companies, however she is running up against the same issue we have all run up against as newbies "experience required."  I am willing to sign a confidentiality agreement, have her work beside ...

A Saline S/l Well Was Started...
May 12, 2010

doc states "A saline s/l well was started. The pt was given 1 liter of bolus I.V. normal saline... Saline well?? ...

Started My First Job, But It Went Horrible!
Jun 08, 2010

Hey everybody, I just needed to vent a little bit. I started my first day on my first job, and it went absolutely horrible. I was using the Emdat InScribe platform, which seems easy enough, but they have sooo many templates that the doctor should be using and isn't. My first few reports were okay, but then everything went downhill. I'm supposed to use the templates, but half the time, I had to erase 3/4 of them because it wasn't what he was saying. The wrong templates would load, ...

Just Getting Started... Education??
Jun 17, 2011

Hello All! I have recently decided to begin a career in MT, and am trying to weigh my education options. I have a bachelor's degree in Hearing, Speech & Language Sciences, so I'm great with interpreting speech/language and am also pretty good at deciphering English as a second language. I've also worked for a hospital scheduling outpatient testing for the past three years, so I have a bit of a background in medical terminology (still so much to learn!) and the inner workings ...

Wanting To Know How Would I Get Started
Jan 25, 2011

I am looking for a job as a medical transcriptionist.  I like to work through my home.  I am attended college at Kaplan University, so I have not got my degree yet, but I believe I could do the work.  I am wanting to know how would I get started. ...

Started At TT Two Months Ago And
Jun 29, 2011

I never have work!  Second shift is not that busy like I was told it would be.  I am so bummed because I really like(d) the people there.  Now I have to look for work as an IC to make up for having small paychecks at TT.  Please tell me it gets better and this is just the summer slowness as we were told? ...

Training And Getting Started
Sep 08, 2011

I am retired from the accouting/budget field and am interested in obtaining a job working from home in the medical transcription/coding/billing field. How do I get started with training, etc.? Thanks for your assistance! ...

Just Started My Day And Already,,question Please
Mar 14, 2012

The account specs say cc should be mL...However, it says to use the docs template which has cc in there...Go by his template or make it right? ...

Just Started My Shift And Already NJA!!!!
Jun 20, 2012

:( ...

Started My First Day Of College :)
Sep 29, 2012

I just wanted to post that I completed my first week of college. The first day was scary, but by the second day I felt much more at ease. My first class happened to algebra, so wish me luck. I know that I am making the right decision, so I am hoping that I can start counting the days to when I can just give my notice. It is going to be tough, but it definitely is going to be worth it. ...

Started With A New Co. This Week Doing MT. They Are Sm
Jan 21, 2013

STILL out there. And I only sent out about 4 resumes. I am averaging 25.00 an hour TRAINING. I am NOT kidding.  Don't give up just yet. Keep looking. There are jobs out there.  You just need to find them. I would give you the name of this awesome place, but unfortunately, I'm not going to do that just yet. I know I took the last spot they were hiring for. BUT, I'm also having A LOT of family issues going on right now, so if I decide not to go past my training period wit ...

Just Started School For A MT
Apr 05, 2013

I just started going to school (Kaplan University Online) for my Associates in Medical Transcription. From what I am hearing I should change my degree immediately. I have been thinking about changing my degree to Medical Office Management instead. Any thoughts? ...

Can Someone Tell Me When The Original ASR Started
Apr 10, 2014

Gathering information, for the life of me my mind has blocked out that trainwreck.. ...

Switch From MTs To MMEs Has Started
Nov 10, 2009

Well folks, email today regarding yet another MQ program- Account Trustee- those of us with good quality scores have the HONOR of sending reports directly through to the client with 2 blanks or less, thus bypassing QA.  Instead of addressing the issue WHY QA is so backlogged (could it be because so many QA were underpaid and have left) this is the new decision.  ...

Well, It Has Already Started, HIPAA Laws.
Feb 13, 2010

If we do not check our screen where patient name, info, attending, date of birth, blah blah blah is not correct or we did not check to make sure the dictator name is correct or attending name in the screen, of did not fill in attending or dictator for, this will have to be notified to HIPAA.  If company does not notify HIPAA that an MT made a mistake and did not correct patient name, dictator name, attending, etc., my company will be fined big time and possibly the MT too.  Honestly, ...

Medical Transcription, How To Get Started?
Feb 22, 2010

I finally graduated from MT training and wonder if anyone is willing to give a new graduate a beginning chance. I have filled out many applications but the bottom line is that they want 3-5  years of experience. How does one get a foot in the door. Thanks celloman ...

New CCM In The South Started Out Great....sm
Jun 27, 2010

She was sending out lots of emails full of useful information, but has now pretty much turned into the old CCM with no communication and NEVER answers her emails.   Anybody else with this problem? ...

I Just Started ASR Today....and I Love It!
Jun 22, 2010

Its so easy.  I don't see alot of posts about the company i work for, so i won't post that, but their back end is fabulous!  And it was so easy today to do 190 lph, and I'm still training!  To those who have just decided they are "just not gonna do ASR", you better reconsider.  It is the wave of the future.  It works.  I am so glad I finally learned how to do it.  I really don't think we should shun it, we should embrace it.  Get your ...