A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

wanting to know how would I get started - tanya

Posted: Jan 25, 2011

I am looking for a job as a medical transcriptionist.  I like to work through my home.  I am attended college at Kaplan University, so I have not got my degree yet, but I believe I could do the work.  I am wanting to know how would I get started.

getting started - check this

[ In Reply To ..]
go to the new mt board and read some of the posts there, check with your school to see if they help with finding a company, get the SUM program tapes and practice, practice, practice, send out resumes, check your local hospitals, clinics, google "medical transcription companies" and send out resumes, takes tests on the websites for each of the companies, test, test, resume, resume, wait, get a different job in the meantime as it may be quite a wait if you are a newbie.

tanya - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Are you a native speaker of English? There are some basic grammatical errors in your message; perhaps you would be better served by working in English grammar, syntax and structure and then moving on into MT? Good luck.

Similar Messages:

Wanting Out
Dec 29, 2009

I've been a MT for 10 years.  Not long compared to a lot of people on here, but unfortunately for me it has become a nigtmare instead of the job I once loved.  The last couple years with the change to SR has cost me approximately $10.00 per hour.  I am the only income in my home raising 3 children, on the verge of losing the house...   Same old sad story all over the country I suppose.   I'm looking for some advice on other jobs that can be ...

Wanting To Become An MT
May 18, 2015

Hello MT'S out there HELP HELP HELP! Im wanting to become like you, an Mt and preferrably to work from home. I'm trying to find out about about schools/training: accredited, financial aid, online. I'd be interested to know how, who, and what to go about it. If I'm able to go by financial aid, i want to pick the right school/training. I would hate to just pick a school and find out its not the right one and would be wasing the financial aid money. I google and i� ...

Wanting Info On FTP
Jan 24, 2010

I have seen some companies hiring that use an FTP program.  Can anyone give me some more info on them?  I know it is a file transfer program, but exactly how does it work and is it easy to learn?  Can you get free programs to load?  What is the best one?  Thanks! ...

Those Of You Wanting To Retrain For Something Else ...
Apr 25, 2010

I'm in the RNP program. Here are 3 quick (2 yrs) degrees that are also paying pretty well.  Just FYI. CMTM http://finance.yahoo.com/news/10-Jobs-With-Great-Return-on-usnews-4256113474.html?x=0   Radiation therapist --Most common degree: Associate's --Median pay: $72,910 More than half of cancer patients are treated with radiation therapy, which involves high doses of radiation aimed at killing cancer cells, and, according to the National Cancer Institute. (Radiati ...

What's With These Companies Wanting ICs But
Jul 11, 2011

telling you what hours they want you to work? Just saw the latest job posting. I could never work for a company like that. I mean sure you can ask me if I can do it but to tell me. If that company cannot afford to hire employees then you shouldn't be accepting hospital accounts. I am glad I work for a company that says, "We can't tell you what hours to work as an IC." It makes you feel respected. Isn't that illegal anyway? Can someone tell me? ...

Wanting To Get My Own Clients
Jan 08, 2012

I am wanting to start getting my own clients again (haven't done that since I picked up and delivered, printed, etc.!!!) but know nothing about the dictation portion of it.  How do you get an FTP site?  Where do you go to get the dictation set up and be able to transcribe it?  What other things do I need to do for that?  Help!  Thank you all :) ...

Wanting To Leave
Aug 04, 2012

What types of jobs can still be done from home and make a reasonable wage?  I've been a MT for 15 years, making less money now than I did my first months, and just really wanting to leave.  I would like to find something that can still be done from home, if anyone has any legitimate ideas... ...

Here's A Suggestion For Those Wanting To Know
Jan 08, 2013

Cheap, cheap, cheap. You should pay your peeps. You could tell the clients NTS cannot keep up with work because people are jumping ship like rats from a hot fire. Perhaps management (upper, way upper I mean) could explain instead of the TLs having to do it, that they needed so much money to take to the bank they had to cut the pay of all their employees, now they have green, not as speedy, uninitiated MTs doing the work. Most of the good ones have fled the scene. And here's another rant: ...

Wanting My Own Clients
May 17, 2015

I am wanting to start my own MTSO and have my own clients.  I need someone who has done this already to be sort of a mentor for me.  If all you are going to say is "dont do it" or "it really sucks" or other stuff like that, please save it.  I just need advice on how to get started, who makes the decisions in clinics and offices, and so on...     Thanks in advance... MTdude ...

Wanting To Put Windows 7 On My Computer. Please Sm
Dec 08, 2009

I currently have Vista.  I was eligible for the Windows 7 upgrade.  If I put Windows 7 on my computer, will I lose my programs, like my Shorthand, Kodak, my work programs used for typing? Thanks ...

Wanting Your Cake And Eating It Too
Jan 12, 2010

It is extremely easily to apply for unemployment insurance.  Medquist has not fought one single claim to date.  I think everybody should start trusting the government a little more!  Medquist got in trouble for legal reasons not because somebody said something bad about them. You have to train full time to qualify for TAA.  They pay you while you train, but face it, at some point to go to school full time....you might have to quit the Q! Who you gonna trust? ...

5+ Yrs Billing Exp Wanting Telecomute Job
Feb 15, 2012

I'm interested in possible payment posting or claim refiling work from home. I have 5+ years experience in Internal Medicine and 1+ year experience in Orthopaedic Surgery. I am proficient in many programs and need little training in new systems. Have held PRN telecommuting billing job for 9 months and would love more work. Please respond to this post if you are looking for someone to fill a similar position. Thanks. ...

Wanting To Leave MM? Here's My Story
Jun 05, 2012

I started back when it was DDI. Anyone remember that? We had 2 accounts, 1 primary, 1 secondary. We rarely were without work. I absolutely loved it and we ALL KNEW our accounts inside and out. Changes came the last few years and not all good. You all know how difficult working for MM is so I won't go into that. Two summers ago I "thought" and was lead to believe, I would be able to work part-time at my local hospital. I was continuously told it all "looked like a go." For 5 months it "looke ...

Wanting To Leave MT But Don't Know Where To Start..
Oct 30, 2014

I've been MT for 13 years...but since the whole profession has gone down the tubes, I really want to find something else to do.  I'm thinking of coding.  Going to check out my local community college and see what they have to offer but also would like input on a good coding course.  There has to be something better than what I am doing now.  I cant work for peanuts much longer...Thanks! ...

Are There Still Young People Wanting To Do This?
Jun 21, 2015

As my mind wanders through the shift, I was thinking do the young people still want to do this for a living?  Are these medical transcription schools still in existence and telling people they can make a wonderful living at this?  I just wonder if, in the next 10 years or so, as the oldtimers (like me) retire or go work at Wal-Mart, what is going to happen in this wonderful career choice?  Will they have to actually start paying a decent wage just to get people to do this?  O ...

Wanting To Start Coding Classe
Sep 30, 2010

I have been wanting to start coding classes; however I am worried it will be outsourced like transcription.  ALso I need to work from home and I hear it is hard to get started.  I have been an MT for 5 years. Any advice?  I dont want to pay for school and it be outsourced. ...

Journalist's Story And Wanting Quotes
Sep 14, 2011

S.E. White, I would hope would have said the name of the paper she is writing this article for and if quoted where we can find it, if all is legit.  She posted this question on the Tuesday it was supposedly due at 2 a.m. She was looking here at MTStars for an article due by noon that same day?  Hummm.  Questionable, but then again nobody would believe we have to have a report done in 2 hours for 4 cents either, and the patient still will not get the results from the doctor in ...

Wanting To Transition To At-home Transcription
Mar 12, 2012

Hi, I currently work full-time at a University Hospital in Iowa in the Department of OB/GYN and have been transcribing in this department for 8 years.  I transcribe for the residents and since their notes are so detailed I have experience in typing about other medical conditions besides just gynecology/ob related.  I have an hour commute one way and I am seriously thinking of quitting this job and trying at-home transcription so I can be closer to my daughter during the day.  She ...

Wanting To Compare Contractor Rates
Jun 20, 2012

I'm seeing pay rates all over the place on this board and I'm just curious as to what others are receiving. I'm an independent contractor. I have a lot of psychiatric accounts but they only pay 10 cents a line (65 characters, of course).  That's a decrease from my standard rate a few years ago (but supply and demand made me reduce my rate).  Because I'm a fast typist and the psychiatric work is easy, I easly make $30 an hour when I'm focused.I've ...

Former MT Wanting To Change Careers But Lost
Jan 02, 2013

Hello, Worked as an MT from 1994 until 2010. Starting have problems with my hands in 2003. Becoming an editor saved my life in 2005 and was able to work on broken hands a couple more years. The editing became even more painful with changing every other word, pay went down, and I found myself with a repetitive stress injury (tendinitis). Lost my workers comp case, although doctor said injury was caused by being an MT for 16 years, however, judge wasn't hearing it as workers comp had ...

I Hope That Any Company Wanting To Advertise For A Job Here
Mar 13, 2015

will read this.  If you are going to place an ad, at least state the pay rate.  If you do not do that and someone goes ahead and tests, only to find out the pay is horribly low (7-8 cpl), you are going to have one very irritated MT who will tell others to stay away.  Also, you need to state the platform and the computer specs!  Otherwise, I am not going to waste my time even sending a resume much less testing. ...

Companies Wanting Independent Contractors These Days ? 
Dec 13, 2009

Why are there so many companies wanting independent contractors these days ?  Some of us need benefits ! ...

Would Anyone Share What Their Income Is With Me?...wanting To See I Am On Track Of Need To Strive Fo
Jul 20, 2010

Of course this is personal but since we can be anonymous on her, would anyone share what they are making in terms of weekly, hourly, monthly or yearly with me?  I would like to compare with where I am and determine if I am at a good average or way below and need to be doing more.  I would also love it if you could share production lines per hour or day etc.  ...

Sick Of Docs Wanting The World, But Offering Nothing In Return
Aug 23, 2010

When did it start being okay for companies to accept and accomodate docs who put out garbage and then require the world of us MT's?  I have worked in the medical setting in various capacities, so I know how docs are and I am used to it.  However, when it comes to something as serious as transcribing thier reports and getting it right you would think they would do there best to at least try to speak soem what clearly.....the wost part is that these are not even ESL's that I sp ...

How To Get Started
Oct 27, 2009

I have been looking for a MT job since April when I finished my course training with MTatHome out of Texas.  I apply for spots that areposted as open but then get email back saying that they have no openings.  I have been in the Medical profession for 6 years as a CNA and I am getting ready for nursing school in the Fall of 2010.  I am just wanting to know what it will take to get my foot in the door in the MT field and get a job.  If anyone has any suggestion or can help me ...

I Just Started A New Job, And.......
Nov 07, 2009

I just finished my FIRST shift and when I checked my line count I was shocked.  Twice as much as I can do with MQ.  There is something seriously wrong at MQ.  At my new job, my CPL is a little less than MQ but not much. ...

Just Getting Started
Aug 24, 2010

hello-i am considering a change in jobs due to being terminated in may.  i am interested in becomng an MT, but now you guys got me thinking twice about my decision.  I know there are two sides to everyones story.  I'm not looking into making big bucks, at least what i was making at my last job, $25K.  Any suggestions on the best school?  I understand schools are going to say that the MT field is growing, but those of you that have been out there awhile, is it realll ...

How To Get Started As A MT?
Mar 30, 2011

Hello everyone!  I just found this forum.  I currently work part-time as a legal virtual assistant.  My background is in personal injury law and would like to get my feet wet and start medical and legal transcribing.  Would anyone be so kind as to advise how I start.  I already hold a B.A. in political science and do not think I need to go through a AA program.  Bottom line, I am confused and don't know where to begin.  Please help! Thank you!  ...

Looking To Get Started
Jun 06, 2012

I am looking to get started as a transcriptionist. What do I need to know? I have an associates degree (Liberal Arts). I can type pretty fast, and am pretty good at spelling. I am looking for advice on where I should start, or how to start being a transcriptionst. Thank you in advance for your information and advice. Dawn ...

Getting Started
Dec 22, 2014

I am a stay at home mom and I would like to get into MT. I am having a hard time sorting through the abundance of information out there. I have found programs that range from$400 to $5000. Can anyone give me advise about how to properly get schooling and procure a career? Thanks! ...