A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I was offered a legal transcription position...sm - Wondering

Posted: Nov 19, 2012

full-time and in-house.  She is offering 5 cpl gross so even if someone says "um", I get paid 5 cpl for the whole line.  Is this a good line rate.  I have not done legal transcription before so I have no idea if this is a decent rate.  I feel that is kind of low and would like to ask if she would be willing to raise it.  

What do you think?

I was told... - Sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I was told that the charges were legal transcription were the same as for medical. Typing every "um" just means that you are doing verbatim transcription.

Would you type medical for 5 CPL? Also, what definition of a "line" is being used here?

Defintion of a gross line is a line that could have one character. - You misunderstand about the verbatim typing.

[ In Reply To ..]
5 cpl would be good if you're transcribing lots of letters. Furthermore, sometimes their type font is different especially if they use Courier font.

I would try it out and see first and then up it if you think it's not worth it but something tells me that you might be doing okay.

Legal doesn't have to equal medical per se. Actually on the norm, legal pays per audio minute, at least that is what I'm finding online for companies providing legal transcription. The last one I looked at was 75 cents per audio minute up to 1.50 depending on how much you can produce and how fast you can get it back. In other words, the harder you work the more you make.

Generalize much? - Sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Stop putting words into my mouth. Go back and reread what I wrote. Nowhere did I say anything about gross line. YOU did.

All I did was point out that the line must be defined (how many spaces per line, do spaces count or is it VBC?, etc.). In addition, there is a regional variable. Depending upon what region the MT lives in 5 CPL may or may not be a good rate. In some depressed markets, like Detroit and the Deep South, that may be a plum price. Or not... I posed the QUESTION and did not make any statements since I am not a mindreader and have no idea where the OP lives.

Typing every "um" is INDEED verbatim typing, so no I did not misundertand that at all. So again you mistate the facts. I have done my fair share of verbatim transcription for legal professionals.

She used the "um" as an example of a line. - A gross line is a gross line. sm
[ In Reply To ..]
A gross line is a gross line. Spaces have no bearing on that. I said you misunderstood her example of the fact that if the dictator wants the word "um" on a line, will she get 5 cpl for that? I comprehend pretty well. Obviously you do not.

As a matter of fact, medical paid me gross line to include blank lines, so please realize you are not a know it all.

Deep south? What's it matter? We all work online. No one seems to care where you live when they hand out "starting" salaries. This is obviously on-site and I'd have to imagine the lawyer pretty much knows what the going rate is or would not have even suggested it.
oh boy! it is definitely a MONDAY. - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
too early to start this type of thing. gees!

gross line - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
gross line means you are paid for every line, even if it only has 1 character in it, or if it has 80 characters in it. Much depends on the size of the font, the length of the margins, etc. If it is Courier New at 12 pt, with 2 inch margins on either side, at 5 cpl, that is pretty good. I used to work for gross lines (many years ago) with Courier New 12 pt font and margins at 2 inches on either side, and I grossed more money in that year than I ever have since at 65 character lines and I was getting 3.75 cmp for gross lines. I thought it "sounded" quite low, as well, but on average, it was better than what they pay for 65 cpl. Ask about the font settings and margin settings first, and if reasonable, give it a shot. I think you will be surprised at how much more you are getting!

Yes. You said it much better than I did. - I used to transcribe legal.

[ In Reply To ..]
I was paid per hour as I was the receptionist as well. However, the documents were spaced exactly how you state and were pages and pages long sometimes.

I think 5 cpl is worth a try for sure.

General transcription - notlegalbut

[ In Reply To ..]
I was doing general transcription for awhile. Interesting work. This doesn't pertain directly to your legal work, just thought I would share how I was being compensated. It was .007 cents per 1000 bytes, and bytes could be approximated by looking in Word at characters with spaces.

I didn't really know if this was decent or not until I broke it down with how long a document would take to transcribe which was a long time! I had NO idea (not sure why not)how much more keyboarding it entails that typical medical reports!! I guess it's all relative, but it really is different.

Anyhow, for anyone out there considering this angle, just thought I'd share.

Definitely take it - Hiddden benefits

[ In Reply To ..]
The pay rate is not bad, particularly since it is nonmedical material. You won't have to chase after drug, instrument, and doctor names. I think the quality of the recording may be better, since they will have made an effort to get a good recording rather than dictating on a cell phone while driving on the freeway and eating a sandwich. You also won't have to deal with ESL doctors mumbling and slurring.

The main reason you should take this, though, is the experience. It can be difficult to break into legal transcription without experience. With this, you may be able to get other jobs in legal offices, see if paralegal work appeals to you, find out how to get into it gradually, get some references from "real person" employers rather than MTSOs, and who knows what else.

Your MT experience can be used as an asset here. It will be an added plus that might enable you to move into medical legal transcription.

A gross line means anything on a line is counted as a line. Since this will be question and answer material, I think there will be a lot of short answer lines and one-word lines. In this case, verbatim means that you will represent the speech exactly as it is spoken, bad grammar and all. You will transcribe everything . . . there will not be any editing of the sort you now do, no erasing lines and paragraphs because some doctor changed his mind, no editing out inappropriate sounds like cursing or inflammatory statements, and no need for you to correct dictation errors like wrong genders or body parts. No abandoned jobs that you don't get paid for. It is unlikely that you will lose money waiting for doctors to flap through charts, chat on the phone, or take naps. And you won't have to listen to verbal abuse directed at you or to doctors using the toilet.

Looks like a good deal to me. I would take it.

Similar Messages:

Been Offered A Position With ANP Transcription
Jul 10, 2012

I have tested and been offered a position with ANP Transcription. Has anyone ever worked for them recently? If so, how are they to work with, etc... I know they are not straight medical transcription, they do meeting notes, advisory boards, focus groups, interviews, etc... Thanks! Shannon ...

Just Offered Position Of CCM
Oct 04, 2011

I'm certainly uncertain of taking such a position.  Is there anyone out there who has been/is a CCM and can tell me what it's like...pay, stress, pay, hours, pay, etc.  TIA ...

Offered A Position With Keystrokes
Mar 08, 2011

Was just offered a position with Keystrokes.  Worth taking?  Some of these posts make me wonder.   ...

Offered A Position With Acusis
Jun 06, 2011

I was offered a position with Acusis. Am looking for information on the company as I cannot seem to find much recent info. Any help is appreciative. Thanks in advance ...

Offered A Position With SoftScript
Sep 27, 2012

Just got offered a position with SoftScript.   Any advice?  I have to decide by tomorrow.     ...

WordZXpressed Offered Position
Oct 16, 2013

I just wanted to share this post since many people have questioned the legitimacy of this company and their testing process.  I tested for this position only hours after the job was posted.  I heard back from them on Monday morning stating that I passed the test and was offered an interview.  I had the interview this morning and EVERYTHING was very professional, legitimate, and promising.  I was offered a position, gladly accepted, and cannot wait to get started!  I wish ...

Have Tested And Been Offered A Position With M*Modal.
Sep 29, 2012

All of the negative posts on here and the company board are making me think I'm going to decline the offer.  Sad thing is, I have already caught them in a contradiction, which confirms what many of you have said one can expect from this company.  I sure wish I could find a company that appreciates what we do for them and shows it by not misrepresenting what they have to offer and by paying a decent wage so as to encourage its people to stay put.  I'm tired of a ...

I Just Got Offered A Position At Accu-Doc Out Of The Blue, But....sm
Oct 23, 2013

I do not know what to tell them.  I don't remember applying, but I do have my resume on several job sites.  When I try to find their website, I come up with nothing.  I searched the archives all the way back to 2006, and still no real info......ANYONE know about this company, there are so many rip-offs out there now!!  Thanks in advance! ...

Cypress Medical Offered A Position
May 07, 2014

I applied to their ad, took the test and was offered a position. Would like feedback from anyone who works there, or worked there. Did you like it? Were you honestly able to make a living doing this type of work? Pay offered seemed low for the amount of time it took me to summarize the sample they sent me for the test. Any information you can supply is greatly appreciated. ...

Offered Position With MModal Paying A Whopping
Oct 19, 2012

4 cpl editing; however, 99.5% will be Voice Recognition I was told. Then she went on to say you guys average anywhere from 287 to 300 LPH with Voice Wreck. When she got into the part about they pay for up to 2 consecutive spaces, and if you send more than 5% to QA, I sort of zoned out. Told her I will give her my decision once I think about it over the weekend. Not. Whew it was depressing just listening to all of their demands. ...

Offered A Position At Acusis, Any Info (recent)...sm
Sep 12, 2013

I searched the archives but didn't really find any relevant info.  Can anyone help me out with some info on them??   ...

Anyone Currently/recently Work For ACTI In Georgia? Offered Position.....
Nov 15, 2011

The one sticking point for me is necessity of "renting" their software, have NEVER had to pay to use a company's software, find this odd.  They seem to have a DECENT pay structure, the norm, and also SEEM fairly flexible.  Could ANYONE shed some light for me, eager to get back to work, but not be taken advantage of!  Thanks a bunch everyone. ...

Legal Transcription Course
Jan 24, 2011

I have been an MT for 3-1/2 years and am interested in legal transcription. I have found online courses through meditec and Penn Foster and am leaning towards meditec who also offers an online paralegal course. Does anybody have any experience with either meditec or Penn Foster regarding the legal transcription and/or paralegal course? Any other ideas how I could get into legal transcription? You may also email me if you prefer. I am grateful for any information and/or advice. If you know ...

Has Anyone Ever Done Legal Transcription?
Jun 10, 2011

Has anyone ever done legal transcription? If so, was it hard to learn compared to medical? ...

Legal Transcription
Jul 16, 2014

I applied today for what I assume is an in-house legal transcription position unless I get lucky and get to work at home. This job is a 41 minute drive one way for me. I've never done legal transcription. The job description states pay is based on experience. It's strange because the ad states medical transcriptionist/paralegal. I'm confused about what exactly they are wanting since it is a law office. I think maybe they will consider any transcriptionist or so it sounds. Anyway, ...

Sten-Tel - Legal Transcription ?
Apr 18, 2011

Does anyone work for Sten Tel doing legal transcription? I am starting with them this week and was just wondering if it was a good place to work for?  I am an IC and they said I could work as much as I want.  Is there always work? Do they give raises of any kind?  I am doing my training session with them on Thursday and am just a little nervous. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!  ...

What To Charge For Legal Transcription?
Jun 30, 2012

Is legal transcription generally priced the same, less than, or more than medical transcription?  Also, what is the approximate price difference, if any, in your neck of the woods? Thanks. ...

Legal Transcription - Transition Into Something Different
Jan 23, 2013

I have all these years of MT experience, but ready to transition into something different, specifically, legal transcribing. Most places (usually law firms) prefer that one have some experience either with legal transcription oreither be a paralegal or law student intern.  Is there a way I can somehow seamlessly transition into legal transcribing without all of that? ...

Legal Transcription - Thinking Of Trying
Jul 21, 2013

I'm thinking of trying legal transcription if there are no MTSOs worth sticking around for.  My current company is losing accounts to EPIC.  These sure aren't the old days when you could take your pick of MTSOs.  It's slim pickins' now.  I don't have any legal experience, but think I could pick up the terminology and formatting easily enough.  Anyone else tried it?  Are there law offices that will hire us to work at home?  What kind of transcription do you use?  ...

Legal Transcription Question
Nov 23, 2013

Wondered if anyone knows if $1/page is a decent rate for legal transcription?  As with most of us, I'm looking to get out of medical and into something else just don't know if legal reports tend to be pretty lengthy on average or not.  Thanks. ...

General And Legal Transcription
Feb 06, 2014

I realize this is a Medical transcriptionist site, but I know someone interested in getting into general and/or legal transcription.  She does have law office experience, however, transcribing on a daily basis, like we MTs do, is different than what is done in an office setting.  Does anyone know where she could get online training for general and/or legal transcription?  Thanks.  ...

General/legal Transcription
Feb 08, 2014

Did anyone happen to get the e-mail address of an ad that appeared on the job seeker's board for general, medical and legal transcription for a person by the name of Nancy Dash?  It has disappeared today, and I just wondered if anyone might still have the e-mail address.  Thanks. ...

Did Anyone Test For The Legal Transcription
Apr 09, 2015

after you submitted a resume or the test? ...

I Just Offered A Job With The Transcription Doctors And Would Like Some Feedback On Them
Jun 24, 2011

Dear Transriptionists: I was just offered a job with The Transcription Doctors and would like some feedback on this company good and/or bad. Fondly, Suzie ...

What To Charge Per Page For Legal Transcription
Apr 08, 2011

Hi everyone. I have my own transcription business and I normally charge per minute. I just got approached by a law firm and they asked how much I would charge per page. They would be dictating letters. I have no idea how much I should charge. Any ideas? ...

Needing Advice About Legal Transcription Job.
Feb 04, 2015

I have a possible job offer with a legal firm that is willing to pay $1.25 per 25 line page and up to $1.75 per page if the audio is bad and $1.50 per page for rush reports.  The usual TAT is 3 days.  I would be transcribing mostly depositions and maybe sometimes I would be doing interviews, hearings, etc.  The depos are usually 60 to 100 pages, though sometimes can be as long as 300 pages. What do you think?  Is this a good deal?  Can I make money doing this?  At ...

Legal Transcription Jobk Posting
Apr 07, 2015

They pay $1.10 per page. There are 46 lines to a page. Even if this was paying for gross lines, it would only be .02 cents per line!  If they counted per 65 character line it would be even less! ...

Does Anyone Know The Going Rate For Legal Transcription In The Northeast?? I Am Looking To Charge B
Oct 04, 2011

nm ...

Legal Transcription - Good Website References
May 16, 2012

Hi!  I used to work for MQ, frequented this board often and appreciated the sound advice.  I have since retired from the medical transcription industry.  Recently I was asked to transcribe some recorded conversations that will ultimately be read aloud in court for a child custody case.  I'm not worried about the actual transcribing, just about proper formatting and such.  I would also like to know an approximate amount to charge, i.e., by the line, by the page, by the hour, etc.?  C ...

Transcription Position
Aug 17, 2010

Again, I am interested in the position posted for the Orthopedic transcription. The ad says will train. The days of the week are perfect. I am semi-retired preparing to work out of my home after my husband retires next year. I have 34+ years of psychiatric transcription and I am familiar with medical terminology. I recently completed the training course through Career Step. Please advise. ...