A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I just offered a job with The Transcription Doctors and would like some feedback on them - Suzie

Posted: Jun 24, 2011

Dear Transriptionists:

I was just offered a job with The Transcription Doctors and would like some feedback on this company good and/or bad.

Fondly,

Suzie

Reply - Vera

[ In Reply To ..]
If you search for The Transcription Doctors, you will see a post just a little ways down on this page that gives you an idea of what they're like.

TX DOCTORS - ALIAS

[ In Reply To ..]
if you like working for 2.5 cpl for VR, then you will be happy there. Good luck.

Yep. You'll make more at McDonalds. - Wow--devaluing MTs

[ In Reply To ..]
As long as people take these jobs where the wages are getting lower and lower, they will continue to drop them. Next thing you know, you'll be asked to volunteer your time for free, but 2.5 cpl is the next best thing.

.06 cpl job offer - dazedamazed

[ In Reply To ..]
I was just offered .06 cpl for straight transcription. I didn't even ask what the SR paid. But, 2.5 cpl?!! I understand having to feed children and hanging onto a home or breaking into the field these days. I really do. I,gratefully, do not have to do that anymore. My offer was also not based on any testing.

I thought the recruiter was joking. All other aspects of the job were PERFECT for me, but I told her that this industry is one of the few where the pay is not only staying the same (versus at least a cost-of-living raise), but DECLINING. I figure I would be working for about $7 per hour or less after I have to take out taxes. No way.

I will not name this company because they very kind to me, prompt and understanding.
They will ALWAYS be kind, prompt and understanding-- - Jean
[ In Reply To ..]
Because they pay unlivable, abominable wages! They are looking for gullible people to work for next to nothing, literally. 2.5 cents for editing and/or 6 cents for straight typing is next to nothing. I remember when the going rate was 8 or 9 cpl in 1994. And I thought that was cheap then!
Response to working with Transcription Doctors - GoldenOldie
[ In Reply To ..]
Just as I mentioned last week with regard low line rates; MTSOs such as this get away with it, simply because people will continue to apply for and get hired for such unscroupulous wages. Unfortunately other companies see this and will start doing the same. Again, if people STOP applying for these low wage positions (those with experience and good work ethics), they will be left with the newbie (who BTW are being paid the same as those with 20 or so years of experience). Please, no flames with regard the newbie, but on acute care accounts with massive specs to follow, most are just not suited nor qualified for these positions. Although, they are picked up by these low wage MTSOs and rely on the low paid QA to correct the files, provide feedback and basically "teach" the newbie. Fortunately, there are a few companies left that pay the MT for what they are worth; few and far between.
agree golden oldie - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
I started off in this business with a few doctor's offices. I learned those specialties, then slowly branched out to yet more specialties (I worked for a small local MTSO). Then I did outpatient surgery centers and some discharge summaries. After several years, I transitioned to acute care. It was hard and it took a long time to learn. Newbies just don't have the experience. There is so much medical slang/jargon besides understanding the normal values, differentiating doses and knowing to look up one that doesn't sound right, etc., and this comes with time. I don't think ANY seasoned MT would apply or accept these positions. It is just sad :( I feel sorry for the newbies as well, because they are being thrown into a situation they are not prepared for.
line rates - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
I had an account in 1998 that actually paid 12.5 cpl, but that was as an IC, but still! Look how we have fallen!
Reply to Line Rates - GoldenOldie
[ In Reply To ..]
I remember the days well having good line rates. In my opinion, and we all know what they say about opinions, there are a few reasons why the rates have dropped, are continuing to drop and I doubt they will go back up.
1) Some brainiac decided off-shoring was an answer; the one could actually teach a 3rd world nation medical transcription. Although they have come a long way - again, you get what you pay for. Anyone off-shoring and not QA 100% with audio is headed for trouble.
2) Good, responsible, quality-conscious US MTs are accepting these low paying positions.
3) There are many US MTs who inflate their capabilities, turn out less than quality files, necessitating the MTSOs to hire QA to clean up the files.
This career field has been very good to me over the years. It is all I have ever done for close to 40 years. Fortunately, I will be retiring in the not too distant future and will only work out of boredom, not necessity. I think it is sad how this field has been "hacked" into and looked at by others that "any one can type what they hear" and forget about the problem solving, the searching for items to be accurate (of course, in the day there was no internet, so the search was with many, many books), the listening and trying to make sense out of ESLs, etc. And companies wonder why the quality of their files are lacking. I have performed QA for many years for the US side, files typed by Indians and files typed in the Philippines. Sad to say, at times the work that has been off-shored has more quality than the US side. I think the US MT (generally speak) doesn't care about quality, it's all for the $. I have to say, the off-shore MTs, at least they do try (from my experience). They will neve be top rate MTs, but they work hard and try harder to be accurate. I don't condone off-shoring. I don't think it should be going on, but I do also feel that the MTSOs in some cases have no choice. Basically, the US MT doesn't want to work. I know, I have seen it for years and years. Please no flames, as I am put one person and this is just my view of this sad situation "we" have made.
lines rebuttal - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
I disagree completely with your statements about US MTs not wanting to work hard or produce. I have spent hours in extra training, and I go back on my own time to listen to any corrections made to my reports and make notes. I take classes regularly and research any new terms to be sure I am using them correctly. I am older, and maybe there is a discrepancy between some of the more seasoned, older MTs and the newer MTs, I only know my experience and also my friends who are MTs.

I think we missed the boat, and if we had some sort of organization and standardized training/testing with those standards being mandatory, this would have gone a long way to prevent the current state of affairs. I am afraid it is too late for this to happen now, but I would support efforts to do so.

The fly-by-night schools that promised to turn out MTs able to make $40,000+ and ran ads with the happy mom/MT with her daughter sitting in her lap also contributed to the sorry state of affairs. I can't tell you how many moms called me when my children were in grade school wanting me to help them get jobs and tell them what to do so they could work at home. When I explained the scope and breadth of knowledge, computer skills, etc. necessary, some became very irritated with me and said they had seen ads about how "easy" it is.

Any other profession that has held its own has had this standardized testing/schooling as a prerequisite.

Just my thoughts...I have a fairly large group of friends who are MTs and they are ALL hard-working, honest, productive employees. We stay up into the middle of the night working if the account is falling behind or to help out if one of the other MTs is sick/on vacation.

Just saying, you can't paint such a broad picture of ALL US MTs from your experience wtih a few.
You Are Right, 100% - GoldenOldie
[ In Reply To ..]

I certainly didn't mean to offend, and I do realize there are still very good and hard working, conscientious and ethic-minded MTs and QA, albeit few and far between.  And with the amount of work generated in this field, the many MTSOs, local offices, hospitals, etc., there should be many, many more.  I agree with you 100% about the schools kicking out "new MTs" and they are thrown into a situation that they have no clue. But I have worked with some of these people, both in the private sector and w/in many MTSOs. Unfortunately, rather than want to learn and do well.. it is all about the $$, and they will argue - "I don't get paid enough to look up this or that" or "That's not how we learned it at school" (which can be proven incorrect). With regard the advertisements on TV (become an MT and earn 40K a year), I wrote many letters to these so-called online vocational schools, telling them that as an MT and QA, I would sue them for false advertisement. Those ads were ludicrous and gave a very poor representation of this line of work. I also wrote many a letter to then known as AAMT requesting their help in getting this nonsense stopped. I have not seen any for quite some time now. However, overall, I think this field is not as it used to be and I believe it has gone on for so long, I doubt it could ever be repaired. Again, these are just my feelings and we all have them.

golden oldie -- thanks and I agree - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
I did try to get involved with AAMT way back also without success. I have not worked in QA so I have not seen the side you have seen, so I am sorry if I jumped to conclusions from what you said! I DID see a bit of this from "wanna be" MTs as I said in my prior post! Everyone wanted to work at home without any idea how much discipline and work it really is! I have had my time hijacked by neighbors sending their children over since I am at home anyway, and had my husband and children assume I could do things for them as well! I had to build very strong boundaries, shut my door, not answer the phone, so that I could work my shift. In the early days, TAT was 24-48 hours and so there was not a strict schedule, just an expectation to get a certain amount of work done. This was actually MORE difficult because of everyone imposing on my time! Thanks for your well thought out comments. I agree 100% with them! I regret not continuing with my profession (RN) as now I have been out too long. I have tried numerous job fairs, but everyone says there is nothing I can do unless I go back for my master's, which at my age is just not financially feasible!
Well, I'm not an "oldie", but... - X
[ In Reply To ..]
Again, the generalization is not entirely true. I graduated from MTEC, and I was able to "hit the ground running," but I DO a lot of research daily! I am certainly not making bank. There are a few "noobs" in this field who are also conscientious, quality-minded, hard-working MTs. I put in my hours and THEN some. I also help out on any/all accounts that are falling behind when I can. I'm not upset, but some of the broad generalizations made on this board are a bit offensive, especially when I am killing myself to produce quality records. The reason that I am completely dedicated to this profession was because I took care of my mother for 10 years. She had a multitude of health conditions, any 1 of which were terminal. I had to learn everything I could about her disease processes, treatments, etc. After her passing, I wanted to dedicate myself to a profession that would, even if only in a small way, benefit others who were suffering. I knew that nursing was just not going to be for me, as I would never be able to see patient after patient in pain, frightened, etc. That would be too difficult for me, as I would never be able to "see" them, it would end up being my mother, over and over again. So, I decided to go with MT. At the very least, I could try to make sure their reports were correct, as many of my mother's records were wrong. I realize that many people enter this profession thinking that it will be "easy" money...I, however, was not one of them!
Again, I do apologize - GoldenOldie
[ In Reply To ..]
I really didn't post to insult, start a flame, or belittle the newbies (a term I feel is most festive). Of course I realize that are many, many new MTs and experienced MTs that do care, regardless of the 2.5 cpl line rate. After all, it is our initials at the bottom of the file, and we should all be proud of what we place our initials on. But, alas, there are many, many more that don't feel this way. Many times I wonder as I QA some of the files if they are the individual on the TV commercials years ago - sitting at a nice clean desk (no desk food even!!!), drapes open with the sun glaring on the screen, child standing next to the individual coloring while this person watches, no headset laying around and a great big smile as she watches her child color. Must be nice. I would almost wager a bet that out of 10 MTs, 1 is actually worth her weight in gold, and probably working for coal.
Thank you for your reply - X
[ In Reply To ..]
I agree with you completely. If ONLY I EVER looked like those "commercial" MTs, lol. My kids were raised before I even entered MTEC, so having them raised and my mother no longer here, I felt it was the perfect time. I knew going in that the pay was not going to be good, but I am not doing it for the money. Of course, the extra income is always welcome, but I realize we do so much more than what we will ever be compensated for...monetarily. I appreciate the knowledge that you and all long timers bring to this industry. I am one of "those" MTs who review my feedback, and if I am learning a new dictator, I always relisten while reviewing. I know that I can learn more from my AM and others who have profound knowledge in this field than I ever did in school, although I do feel that MTEC furnished me with the tools I needed to prepare for entrance.

I hope you have a wonderful week!

No, the next thing will be you have to pay THEM to work for them! - n/m

[ In Reply To ..]
n/m

Question - Marilyn

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm curious, do you mind if I ask how much they offered you and what kind of account? Just wondering if they pay the same for all their accounts. I was offered a job by them a few months ago, but they were only paying 7.5 cpl for straight typing and 3 cpl for VR. Just not enough to make a living, so I turned it down.

Then, on top of 2.5 cpl, you have to pay your own taxes - Averaging ziltch..

[ In Reply To ..]
Not worth our time.

Similar Messages:

Been Offered A Position With ANP Transcription
Jul 10, 2012

I have tested and been offered a position with ANP Transcription. Has anyone ever worked for them recently? If so, how are they to work with, etc... I know they are not straight medical transcription, they do meeting notes, advisory boards, focus groups, interviews, etc... Thanks! Shannon ...

I Was Offered A Legal Transcription Position...sm
Nov 19, 2012

full-time and in-house.  She is offering 5 cpl gross so even if someone says "um", I get paid 5 cpl for the whole line.  Is this a good line rate.  I have not done legal transcription before so I have no idea if this is a decent rate.  I feel that is kind of low and would like to ask if she would be willing to raise it.     What do you think? ...

Feedback About JLG Transcription? 
Aug 09, 2011

Can anybody give me any feedback about JLG Transcription?  ...

Not Getting Much Feedback On Alpha Transcription
Jun 12, 2011

Can anyone that works for this company give me an update on working conditions or email me. ...

RezZiliant Transcription Feedback?
Aug 24, 2011

Does anyone know anything about this company.  If so, I would like to hear what you think about them.  Good and bad.  Thanks. ...

Princeton Transcription Feedback?
Aug 14, 2012

Hi.  Has anyone worked for or heard of Princeton Transcription?  I am looking to start working from from after work out in the field for the past 10 years, but I don't know how to go about seeing if a company is legit.  This company had an ad in my area, but I'm not sure. ...

Transcription South - Any Feedback?
Oct 04, 2013

Have any of you heard of Transcription South and any feedback on them as a company?  Also they pay 1.15 for 1000 characters with 425,000 characters for pay period part-time.  What is that all about and what does it equal to?  Thanks ...

Thomas Transcription In Florida - Feedback?
Aug 25, 2010

I know they are located in Florida, but how is the lady to work for? ...

Looking For Current Feedback On Transcription Companies
Jan 01, 2015

I worked for MedQuist for over 10 yrs and then decided to take a little break, which I did.  I'm thinking about going back to work in medical transcription from home and would appreciate any current feedback you can give me on companies to avoid or that you recommend.  Thanks! Tricia ...

Negative Feedback Regarding Augusta Coding And Transcription
May 09, 2012

I have been reading all of the negative feedback about Augusta Coding and Transcription and I am so upset.  I have been with this company for almost two years and have thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it.  They have been the most flexible and easiest people to work with in the world.  There are monthly fees for platform and direct deposit, about $13 per pp,  but that is what being an Independent Contractor is all about.  I have not worked for a company yet that doesnt charge anything. ...

TTD, Inc. (The Transcription Doctors, Inc.)
Oct 25, 2009

If anyone knows any kind of info at all for this company I would love to hear from you. I am supposed to be talking to someone tomorrow from this company and I would love to know if they are legit. Thanks so much! ...

Transcription Doctors Inc.
Jan 20, 2010

Has anyone worked with this company before, not seen much posted for them, is that good or bad? ...

The Transcription Doctors
Feb 20, 2010

I can't find a dang thing in the archives about this company.  HELP.  Thanks everyone. ...

Transcription Doctors TTD
Feb 21, 2010

To the poster who posted below looking for information on TTD.  They don't have their own accounts.  They work for Superior Global and maybe others.  Superior pays them to find ICs.  They probably pay them 4 cpl and then TTD pays you a cruddy 3 cpl to edit VR reports.  They don't offer direct deposit because Superior is paying them and then they pay you, which is why you have to wait a month for your check.   I would never work for a company that is just bascially an agency hir ...

The Transcription Doctors TTD
Jun 29, 2010

I accidentally posted this on the main board too so sorry for the repeat post. I saw a post here that TTD was a bad company to work for. I recently graduated form CS and I have been looking for a job for the past 2 weeks. TTD offered me a job without doing any testing and I thought that was odd. I really want to gain experience since but I don't want to work for a horrible place. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! ...

The Transcription Doctors - TTD
Jun 29, 2010

I have gone through the past several months and I saw one post about The Transcription Doctors being a bad company to work for. I was wondering if anyone has had a good experience or if they are all still bad comments. I just recently graduated from CS and I have been looking for jobs for a while. I was offered the job at TTD without doing any testing and I just thought it was odd. I just want to gain experience but Im nervous to work there after what I have read. Any input would be greatl ...

TTD - The Transcription Doctors
Apr 15, 2010

My recommendation is to have any MT who feels her time is valuable to Stay very far away from this company. I am going to be very careful in how I word this.  Company did not pay me correctly.  Our line counts did not match.  Experienced problems with line count accuracy early in employment.  Kept accurate records of line counts (their counts and my counts).  Was only paid 1/10th of first invoice.  Inquired about issue several times, and only when I sent an email to ...

W2 From Transcription Doctors?
Feb 05, 2011

I was an IC for TTD for about 6 months.  Has anyone gotten their W2 from them yet? (the one in California).  Thanks! ...

Transcription Doctors -How Often Is Pay?
Feb 18, 2011

Do you have to work a month before getting your first check at Transcription Doctors? How frequently do they pay?  Do they offer direct deposit?  Thanks ...

TTD (The Transcription Doctors)
Aug 01, 2011

PLEASE BE ADVISED---THIS ACCOUNT PROMISES WORK, BUT RUNS OUT OF IT VERY FAST.  THEY ONLY WILL LET YOU WORK ON ONE ACCOUNT AT A TIME UNTIL YOU ARE RELEASED.  YOU WILL MAKE NO MONEY!!!! ...

The Transcription Doctors.
Oct 06, 2011

I am intersted in some current info on this company. I have read the archives and just want to check and see from any current employees if their payroll issues are resolved.  Also, info on platform, dicitators, etc. Thank you! ...

The Transcription Doctors Don't Pay?
Nov 03, 2011

Aren't they the ones who don't pay? I've seen something in the past about this. ...

Transcription Doctors?
Feb 28, 2012

I recently applied with Transcription Doctors and almost immediately recieved a "new hire packet." I spent hours filling out all of the paperwork and now recieve no response, via email or phone, from either of the contact points! Does anyone out there either work for them, or have this same issue? Thanks so much! ...

Transcription Doctors Or TTD
Mar 02, 2012

Does anyone have any info on Transcription Doctors or TTD, Inc.  I sent a resume and received a ton of new hire paperwork, but no description about the job or even a phone call, just watch a video and start working.  I see they have tons of job postings so I am weary there will be enough work or if there is work actually.  There are a lot of red flags so I thought I would check before I spent the effort.  Thanks. ...

Transcription Doctors - Yay-Nay
Mar 17, 2012

Just wondering about them ...

The Transcription Doctors (TTD)
May 09, 2012

Does anyone have any opinions about working with TTD?  I am looking for the good, bad, or indifferent.  I have seen their ads and was thinking about applying to work with them.  Any opinions would be great.  I have search the archives, but would like to get some current info.  Thanks! ...

The Transcription Doctors - Good Or Bad?
Jan 13, 2010

Has anyone heard anything about this company? Good or bad? ...

Anyone Heard Of Transcription Doctors
Feb 02, 2010

Anyone heard of Transcription Doctors and if so, does anyone have an information on them? ...

Transcription Doctors Is Always Advertising. How Are
Feb 15, 2010

nm ...

Has Anyone Actually Gotten Paid By TDD (Transcription Doctors)? Sm
Feb 23, 2010

Not that it makes much difference  with the pitiful amount I was able to make at what they were paying, but over 6 weeks for a lousy pay check?  Geez!  Could it be they are one of those preditory MT rip-off joints?   ...