A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

What to charge for legal transcription? - Typist

Posted: Jun 30, 2012

Is legal transcription generally priced the same, less than, or more than medical transcription?  Also, what is the approximate price difference, if any, in your neck of the woods?

Thanks.

I'm not sure but I think it is more. - gggt

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

it's the same, but by the word and you don't get paid for spaces - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
:(

OK, how much - Typist

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for your reply, gggt!

How much is the per-word charge in your area?

legal transcription - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
they are totally different but it really depends on what you are typing, etc and how you decide to charge

Depends on what you're willing to charge - ehipp

[ In Reply To ..]
It depends - we usually charge by line for medical, and, depending on length, either by line or by minute for audio. For example, if it is a long trial we are transcribing we charge by minute. The cost varies, usually somewhere in the $1 per minute range, but can go higher/lower depending on quality of audio, number of speakers, etc. If it is several shorter dictations, for instance an attorney dictating case notes, then we would most likely charge by line and similarly to medical. Hope that helps!

Actually, that DOES help. - Typist

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for those specifics; they were very helpful.

It was the general "going rate" that I was asking for, and you provided it. Thank you!

Similar Messages:

What To Charge Per Page For Legal Transcription
Apr 08, 2011

Hi everyone. I have my own transcription business and I normally charge per minute. I just got approached by a law firm and they asked how much I would charge per page. They would be dictating letters. I have no idea how much I should charge. Any ideas? ...

Does Anyone Know The Going Rate For Legal Transcription In The Northeast?? I Am Looking To Charge B
Oct 04, 2011

nm ...

Legal Transcription Course
Jan 24, 2011

I have been an MT for 3-1/2 years and am interested in legal transcription. I have found online courses through meditec and Penn Foster and am leaning towards meditec who also offers an online paralegal course. Does anybody have any experience with either meditec or Penn Foster regarding the legal transcription and/or paralegal course? Any other ideas how I could get into legal transcription? You may also email me if you prefer. I am grateful for any information and/or advice. If you know ...

Has Anyone Ever Done Legal Transcription?
Jun 10, 2011

Has anyone ever done legal transcription? If so, was it hard to learn compared to medical? ...

Legal Transcription
Jul 16, 2014

I applied today for what I assume is an in-house legal transcription position unless I get lucky and get to work at home. This job is a 41 minute drive one way for me. I've never done legal transcription. The job description states pay is based on experience. It's strange because the ad states medical transcriptionist/paralegal. I'm confused about what exactly they are wanting since it is a law office. I think maybe they will consider any transcriptionist or so it sounds. Anyway, ...

What To Charge For General Transcription?
Jul 16, 2012

Hi all, I have been offered a general transcription job today and they will be calling me with a pay rate. I have no idea what is fair pay for this kind of work, as I have always worked in medical transcription. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks ...

Sten-Tel - Legal Transcription ?
Apr 18, 2011

Does anyone work for Sten Tel doing legal transcription? I am starting with them this week and was just wondering if it was a good place to work for?  I am an IC and they said I could work as much as I want.  Is there always work? Do they give raises of any kind?  I am doing my training session with them on Thursday and am just a little nervous. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!  ...

Legal Transcription - Transition Into Something Different
Jan 23, 2013

I have all these years of MT experience, but ready to transition into something different, specifically, legal transcribing. Most places (usually law firms) prefer that one have some experience either with legal transcription oreither be a paralegal or law student intern.  Is there a way I can somehow seamlessly transition into legal transcribing without all of that? ...

Legal Transcription - Thinking Of Trying
Jul 21, 2013

I'm thinking of trying legal transcription if there are no MTSOs worth sticking around for.  My current company is losing accounts to EPIC.  These sure aren't the old days when you could take your pick of MTSOs.  It's slim pickins' now.  I don't have any legal experience, but think I could pick up the terminology and formatting easily enough.  Anyone else tried it?  Are there law offices that will hire us to work at home?  What kind of transcription do you use?  ...

Legal Transcription Question
Nov 23, 2013

Wondered if anyone knows if $1/page is a decent rate for legal transcription?  As with most of us, I'm looking to get out of medical and into something else just don't know if legal reports tend to be pretty lengthy on average or not.  Thanks. ...

General And Legal Transcription
Feb 06, 2014

I realize this is a Medical transcriptionist site, but I know someone interested in getting into general and/or legal transcription.  She does have law office experience, however, transcribing on a daily basis, like we MTs do, is different than what is done in an office setting.  Does anyone know where she could get online training for general and/or legal transcription?  Thanks.  ...

General/legal Transcription
Feb 08, 2014

Did anyone happen to get the e-mail address of an ad that appeared on the job seeker's board for general, medical and legal transcription for a person by the name of Nancy Dash?  It has disappeared today, and I just wondered if anyone might still have the e-mail address.  Thanks. ...

Did Anyone Test For The Legal Transcription
Apr 09, 2015

after you submitted a resume or the test? ...

What To Charge For A Non-medical Transcription Project
Aug 05, 2010

Trying to find out what the going rate or at least an idea of what to charge for a non-medical transcription project..Would appreciate any feedback including whether it is still charged by the line or page and what a reasonable rate would be.   Thanks! ...

Non-medical Transcription - Have No Idea What To Charge
Mar 02, 2011

I have an opportunity to transcribe interviews for the county.  The files will be anywhere from 15 min to hours long, 3 to 4 of these a week, TAT is 1 week.  At the beginning of each interview, the lead interviewer dictates the attendees’ names and reason for participation in the interview.  On each transcription, the person speaking must be identified each time he/she speaks.   Occasionally more than 1 person speaks at a time and that has to be sorted out and identification made of ea ...

What To Charge For Simple Interview Transcription?
Nov 14, 2011

I hope this is the right board to ask this quick question!  If not, please re-direct me. A friend of mine has a genealogy business, and does Q & A sessions with people (usually elderly, but some not) about their lives, their family history.  She will be needing these interviews transcribed (simple format).  Each interview is about 5 minutes of dictation time, and they're digital files that she will e-mail to me, and I'll e-mail them back.  No printing invo ...

I Was Offered A Legal Transcription Position...sm
Nov 19, 2012

full-time and in-house.  She is offering 5 cpl gross so even if someone says "um", I get paid 5 cpl for the whole line.  Is this a good line rate.  I have not done legal transcription before so I have no idea if this is a decent rate.  I feel that is kind of low and would like to ask if she would be willing to raise it.     What do you think? ...

Needing Advice About Legal Transcription Job.
Feb 04, 2015

I have a possible job offer with a legal firm that is willing to pay $1.25 per 25 line page and up to $1.75 per page if the audio is bad and $1.50 per page for rush reports.  The usual TAT is 3 days.  I would be transcribing mostly depositions and maybe sometimes I would be doing interviews, hearings, etc.  The depos are usually 60 to 100 pages, though sometimes can be as long as 300 pages. What do you think?  Is this a good deal?  Can I make money doing this?  At ...

Legal Transcription Jobk Posting
Apr 07, 2015

They pay $1.10 per page. There are 46 lines to a page. Even if this was paying for gross lines, it would only be .02 cents per line!  If they counted per 65 character line it would be even less! ...

Charge For General Transcription. Have Only Ever Charged For Medical
Jun 30, 2011

Recently contacted by a local church pastor to transcribe some sermons for him to make into a booklet form.  (Maybe 3 to 4 hours worth of work or about 160 minutes).  I have never done or charged for general transcription like that and certainly don't want to over charge a church, yet do not want to do it for free either.  They asked me would I want to be paid the same way the hospital pays me?  What are your suggestions?  Thanks in advance.  Forgive me if I pu ...

Legal Transcription - Good Website References
May 16, 2012

Hi!  I used to work for MQ, frequented this board often and appreciated the sound advice.  I have since retired from the medical transcription industry.  Recently I was asked to transcribe some recorded conversations that will ultimately be read aloud in court for a child custody case.  I'm not worried about the actual transcribing, just about proper formatting and such.  I would also like to know an approximate amount to charge, i.e., by the line, by the page, by the hour, etc.?  C ...

Augusta Coding And Transcription Charge A Monthly Fee For Their License
Dec 02, 2011

I have an offer to apply.  I noted they charge a monthly fee for their license free.  I have lots of acute-care experience and I have never paid for anything like that.  A little hesitant about that though.  Any information would be greatly appreciated.  At the present time, I really need a job.   Thanks ...

What To Charge
Feb 27, 2010

What would you charge someone to listen to a file to help fill in blanks?  It is not an everyday thing and only a few files every once in a while.  This person wants to pay me for this and I have no idea what to charge. ...

How Do You Charge?
Mar 08, 2011

I am an independent subcontractor with one large account.  The hospital is switching to VR and I have been able to keep the account, but I have no idea what to charge, how to charge, or where to find info about this.  This is all happening over the next few weeks so I need to come up with a plan.  I currently charge a flat rate per line, and have not increased my fee in many years.  However, if I do editing work, do I charge per report?  I don't have a clue.  H ...

How To Charge?
Mar 09, 2011

As an independent subcontractor, how do I charge for editing as opposed to transcribing?  I currently charge a flat rate per line for transcription, but with my hospital switching to VR over the next few months I will be doing some editing as well.  I have no idea what to charge, how to charge, etc.  Any help appreciated! ...

How Much Should I Charge?
Dec 06, 2012

Hello!  I am a fairly new MT (2 years experience) and I am currently doing IC work.  I have been approached by a physician (that I used to work for as a medical assistant) to do her transcription for her as she has gone out on her own and has a private practice now.  It is a family practice, so pretty basic office visit notes.  My question is what should I charge her per line?  OR should I charge per report, per page, or what?  I'm not sure yet that her EM ...

EMR - How Much To Charge?
Feb 13, 2013

One of my groups is switching to EPIC and is requesting I prepopulate the return patient information into the system to generate individualized templates before their next clinic visit. No way to charge by the line. Anyone have any idea what the going rate range should be for this type of work? ...

What To Charge???
Apr 02, 2013

I have been asked to transcribe written reports....type the written reports.  I have never done this before....what is charged for this type of transcription?  I have only charged for transcribing dictated reports.   PLEASE HELP! ...

Help! What Should I Charge?
May 14, 2013

I have an opportunity to work with a local, successful Midwestern 6-physician ENT practice.  They want to know what I charge per line.  I'm currently with a larger MTSO and have been for years.  Back in the good old days I could charge my own clients by the gross line, 15, 17, 18 cents.  But those days are gone.  I don't want to lose the ENT group to an MTSO or other middleman. What is a fair rate for transcription (with no delivery or printing) these days?&nb ...

Help!! What To Charge
Feb 19, 2014

My husband's doctor called wanting me to do some transcription for them.  I am not sure what to charge.  She is ESL and can be difficult as I have gotten some of her work through the hospital account.  These would be clinical notes, straight typing.   She has put them on tapes.  Of course, needs them sometie in March -- over 100 of them.  Also I have Word 2007 and 2010 -  do they have a line count feature.  It has been a very, very long time ...