A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Legal Transcription - transition into something different - No More MT

Posted: Jan 23, 2013

I have all these years of MT experience, but ready to transition into something different, specifically, legal transcribing. Most places (usually law firms) prefer that one have some experience either with legal transcription oreither be a paralegal or law student intern.  Is there a way I can somehow seamlessly transition into legal transcribing without all of that?

Why would you want a pay decrease? - me

[ In Reply To ..]
Legal transcription pays even less than medical transcription by far, so why would you want to transition? General transcription pays even more than this.... The only way you can make money doing legal typing is to do stenography, which is a 2-year course that requires 200 words per minute, software, scoping equipment, etc. Also factor in they do not pay for inserted templates, etc., and this is straight typing with no margin for error.

sm - No More MT

[ In Reply To ..]
OHHHHH........I was not aware that one made less doing legal transcription. No clue. Thank you for the information.

I would research that... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I didn't find the poster particularly accurate. One can always use auto text or auto correct for standard salutations, date fields, frequent addresses and remarks; you can shortcut long words like "litigation" to three keystrokes; you can always make your own "templates".
Legal transcription - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
I will state it again. In legal transcription, they have a lot of "templates" and "normals" you pull up to insert in the document, which you are not paid for. They are even cheaper than doctors, if that is possible. Anything they can possibly count as a "normal," they will and actually have field markers and such in the documents. However, yes, please feel free to check it out yourself. I do not even accept these types of clients anymore. You are usually not even paid for headers/footers or anything but the actual characters you type and have software that counts as such.

Not true! It probably depends on the company. - I have a friend doing legal, and

[ In Reply To ..]
she makes MORE than I do at medical. I agree with another poster here. The OP should research this first.

There is so much more to legal than just typing - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Its really no different than MT. You need an education in more than just legal terminology to do it. There are many different types of law, too. Some far more complex than others. Court documents (depos, briefs, motions, Pleadings, Answers, etc) have to be written and formatted exactly to court standards. There are some companies out there who do fairly simple legal transcription, letters, memos, etc., but you will earn less than MT - they pay 0.005 cents a WORD no spaces, which equates to less than what you're probably making now.

I agree, a friend of mine is making almost double my pay - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
My friend called to see about getting into MT and when I told her the pay she couldn't believe it. She is making almost double my pay, and I average 200+ LPH straight typing and 330 LPH VR so am not at the bottom tier (I have 20 years' experience and barely scraping by). It could depend on the area you live or who you are working for, but definitely check out the pay and opportunities in your area!
Have you thought of depositions or law enforcement? - Elizabeth
[ In Reply To ..]
Most legal transcriptionist need to be familiar with legal terminology, but I've found depositions less "legally" - they're basically like a one-on-one interview. Same with law enforcement transcription, a lot of it is witness interviews, internal investigation interviews, etc. that is basically just two people talking.

I also agree it depends on the company but in general legal pays more, which is due in part to many of the courts and law enforcement agencies insisting that only US transcriptionists type the documents - which has kept foreign competitors out and pay rates higher. Of course, that's if you go through the agencies or court system, not sure about if you just work for a law office directly.

Well, it is all relative... sm - me

[ In Reply To ..]
I am making well over $7,000 per month on a slow month (unsure of line count, as most pay is per report or page count) and am not at all a fast typist. If I were to switch to legal transcription, I would not make much at all, especially because of my injuries (cervical radiculopathy affecting both hands). Pay can also differ from office to office or state to state, but where I am located, pay is as stated in previous posts, less than medical transcription. I know a lot of people in the profession.... Court reporters are well paid but not transcriptionists or legal secretaries.

I would much rather transcribe medical than legal or even focus groups.

I worked in a law firm for over 25 years - Maggie May

[ In Reply To ..]
and also did some legal transcription online. There are many different ways LTs get paid. From what I have seen, with all the downhill changes MT has made, legal usually pays more. But there is a lot of terminology AND a lot of rules for legal transcription and most places won't consider someone without a legal background. There is definitely no way to "seamlessly transition" any more than there would be for a legal transcriptionist to suddenly do MT.

Similar Messages:

MT To Legal Secretary-- Tough Transition?
Dec 14, 2011

I have a passion for law but fell into the quick cash that comes with being an MT. Then I got an AAS in health information technology and am eligible to sit for my RHIT but it was so long ago, I'm afraid I probably wouldn't pass. So, I'm thinking it's back to the drawing board and was wondering how much additional education I'd need to get a legal secretary/admin asst job. With the degree I have, I've already had to become proficient in Office, filing, research, pro ...

Transition From Transcription To Billing/Coding
Nov 14, 2011

I am a medical transcriptionist that has been typing radiology the last 11 years. My job is going to be phased out by voice recognition soon. I'm thinking of going back to school for medical billing/coding. Has anyone else made this transition? Do you like or hate it? ...

Wanting To Transition To At-home Transcription
Mar 12, 2012

Hi, I currently work full-time at a University Hospital in Iowa in the Department of OB/GYN and have been transcribing in this department for 8 years.  I transcribe for the residents and since their notes are so detailed I have experience in typing about other medical conditions besides just gynecology/ob related.  I have an hour commute one way and I am seriously thinking of quitting this job and trying at-home transcription so I can be closer to my daughter during the day.  She ...

Medical Scribe - New Transition From Transcription
May 14, 2013

Seems to be the new transition from transcription. ...

Legal Transcription Course
Jan 24, 2011

I have been an MT for 3-1/2 years and am interested in legal transcription. I have found online courses through meditec and Penn Foster and am leaning towards meditec who also offers an online paralegal course. Does anybody have any experience with either meditec or Penn Foster regarding the legal transcription and/or paralegal course? Any other ideas how I could get into legal transcription? You may also email me if you prefer. I am grateful for any information and/or advice. If you know ...

Has Anyone Ever Done Legal Transcription?
Jun 10, 2011

Has anyone ever done legal transcription? If so, was it hard to learn compared to medical? ...

Legal Transcription
Jul 16, 2014

I applied today for what I assume is an in-house legal transcription position unless I get lucky and get to work at home. This job is a 41 minute drive one way for me. I've never done legal transcription. The job description states pay is based on experience. It's strange because the ad states medical transcriptionist/paralegal. I'm confused about what exactly they are wanting since it is a law office. I think maybe they will consider any transcriptionist or so it sounds. Anyway, ...

Sten-Tel - Legal Transcription ?
Apr 18, 2011

Does anyone work for Sten Tel doing legal transcription? I am starting with them this week and was just wondering if it was a good place to work for?  I am an IC and they said I could work as much as I want.  Is there always work? Do they give raises of any kind?  I am doing my training session with them on Thursday and am just a little nervous. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!  ...

What To Charge For Legal Transcription?
Jun 30, 2012

Is legal transcription generally priced the same, less than, or more than medical transcription?  Also, what is the approximate price difference, if any, in your neck of the woods? Thanks. ...

Legal Transcription - Thinking Of Trying
Jul 21, 2013

I'm thinking of trying legal transcription if there are no MTSOs worth sticking around for.  My current company is losing accounts to EPIC.  These sure aren't the old days when you could take your pick of MTSOs.  It's slim pickins' now.  I don't have any legal experience, but think I could pick up the terminology and formatting easily enough.  Anyone else tried it?  Are there law offices that will hire us to work at home?  What kind of transcription do you use?  ...

Legal Transcription Question
Nov 23, 2013

Wondered if anyone knows if $1/page is a decent rate for legal transcription?  As with most of us, I'm looking to get out of medical and into something else just don't know if legal reports tend to be pretty lengthy on average or not.  Thanks. ...

General And Legal Transcription
Feb 06, 2014

I realize this is a Medical transcriptionist site, but I know someone interested in getting into general and/or legal transcription.  She does have law office experience, however, transcribing on a daily basis, like we MTs do, is different than what is done in an office setting.  Does anyone know where she could get online training for general and/or legal transcription?  Thanks.  ...

General/legal Transcription
Feb 08, 2014

Did anyone happen to get the e-mail address of an ad that appeared on the job seeker's board for general, medical and legal transcription for a person by the name of Nancy Dash?  It has disappeared today, and I just wondered if anyone might still have the e-mail address.  Thanks. ...

Did Anyone Test For The Legal Transcription
Apr 09, 2015

after you submitted a resume or the test? ...

What To Charge Per Page For Legal Transcription
Apr 08, 2011

Hi everyone. I have my own transcription business and I normally charge per minute. I just got approached by a law firm and they asked how much I would charge per page. They would be dictating letters. I have no idea how much I should charge. Any ideas? ...

I Was Offered A Legal Transcription Position...sm
Nov 19, 2012

full-time and in-house.  She is offering 5 cpl gross so even if someone says "um", I get paid 5 cpl for the whole line.  Is this a good line rate.  I have not done legal transcription before so I have no idea if this is a decent rate.  I feel that is kind of low and would like to ask if she would be willing to raise it.     What do you think? ...

Needing Advice About Legal Transcription Job.
Feb 04, 2015

I have a possible job offer with a legal firm that is willing to pay $1.25 per 25 line page and up to $1.75 per page if the audio is bad and $1.50 per page for rush reports.  The usual TAT is 3 days.  I would be transcribing mostly depositions and maybe sometimes I would be doing interviews, hearings, etc.  The depos are usually 60 to 100 pages, though sometimes can be as long as 300 pages. What do you think?  Is this a good deal?  Can I make money doing this?  At ...

Legal Transcription Jobk Posting
Apr 07, 2015

They pay $1.10 per page. There are 46 lines to a page. Even if this was paying for gross lines, it would only be .02 cents per line!  If they counted per 65 character line it would be even less! ...

Does Anyone Know The Going Rate For Legal Transcription In The Northeast?? I Am Looking To Charge B
Oct 04, 2011

nm ...

Legal Transcription - Good Website References
May 16, 2012

Hi!  I used to work for MQ, frequented this board often and appreciated the sound advice.  I have since retired from the medical transcription industry.  Recently I was asked to transcribe some recorded conversations that will ultimately be read aloud in court for a child custody case.  I'm not worried about the actual transcribing, just about proper formatting and such.  I would also like to know an approximate amount to charge, i.e., by the line, by the page, by the hour, etc.?  C ...

MT In Transition
Apr 27, 2011

I work for Precyse, and they are now sending the 3rd new account in my region over to India, and we are constantly without work anymore.  I have applied for a job with Transcend Services.  Can anyone tell me about this company please?  First and foremost, do you run out of work very often?  ...

Something To Transition To!!!!
Dec 24, 2011

Is your MT career dead? Don't know what to do? Here's the NEXT BIG THING! And you get to still stay at home! hmmm, I wonder if I can hook my headset up to my phone.... LOL  =]   http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/22/phone-sex-moms_n_1166075.html?1324589894&ncid=webmail19 ...

Transition
Jan 16, 2014

How does one make the transition over to acute care with no acute care experience. All the jobs I see want acute care. I fully understand that. I am willing to make the transition if someone would give me a chance. I ran into this as a new MT back 4 years ago. I have clinic experience, but no acute care experience.  I'm looking for jobs daily as I lost my job 2 weeks ago due to electronic records. I need to work as bills are stacking up.  What companies hire for clinic work, wil ...

Transition To Third Shift
Feb 02, 2011

Hello everyone! I was wondering if anyone who works or has worked third shift in the past could share with me any advice they might have. I have always worked first shift, but I have been offered a really terrific position working third shift on the weekends, and I am finding myself wanting to give it a try. I know it would be a difficult transition at first, and I would need to focus on taking good care of myself. If anyone has any advice, I would so greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advanc ...

Transition From MT To Coding...
Mar 17, 2011

I'm thinking of making the jump after years (22+) in MT and LT and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on the best way to go about doing this.  I have found a couple of prep courses for the CCP exam, but it would be nice if I could hear some actual experiences that people have had with some of the actual courses out there.  It would be great if you could provide links to the places that y'all have gone to.  Feel free to e-mail me if you'd prefer.  Tha ...

Nervous Transition
Oct 21, 2011

I have come into transciption within the past four years. This is something I have always wanted to do and finally found a way to get into the field. There does not seem to be alot of money in straight typing, and less in VR. I have always made incentive, but still - its just not enough and I work very hard to get that. Right now, I work for a company with straight typing only, no VR. I am taking a position with a company that has VR and it sounds to me like the position is pre ...

DSG - Hows The Transition Going?
Mar 07, 2012

Haven't seen any recent threads lately and just wondered how everyone was doing? Are things getting better for everyone? Were you able to get back on original accounts before the change? I read a thread on here a couple weeks back where people had been kinda shuffeled around and was wondering had it gotten any better for you all. ...

CMTs Who Transition
Mar 20, 2012

Will you or have you let your CMT expire? ...

How Long Did Your Transition Take?
Jul 19, 2013

For those of you who worked for a hospital department that went to an MTSO, how long did the transition take? We received the notice the beginning of 11/10 and they're still not fully transitioned. The first MTSO was swallowed up by a 2nd MTSO. It's possible by Sept we'll be on Powerscribe and then my job will end. P-scribe was not supposed to be the platform in the first place either. I was kept on as an IC to help with the transition. There have been countless tech problems ...

Transition From MT To Coding
Sep 19, 2013

A question for anyone. Would you enroll in a community college program for medical coding at 57 knowing it would cost 5 grand to complete the course, and also with the knowledge that there are very few if any entry-level positions available in coding on the west coast. I see positions for in-house MT's and coders alike in other parts of the country all the time, but not so much on the west coast. I'm torn about this question, whether the commitment required would be worth it as I ...