A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

General and legal transcription - nevertoolate

Posted: Feb 06, 2014

I realize this is a Medical transcriptionist site, but I know someone interested in getting into general and/or legal transcription.  She does have law office experience, however, transcribing on a daily basis, like we MTs do, is different than what is done in an office setting.  Does anyone know where she could get online training for general and/or legal transcription?  Thanks. 

Training Options - CT

[ In Reply To ..]
There really aren't training courses available for gen transcription because it's so diverse, and most people who are looking for legal are looking for experience. There are courses offered in that. She'll just need to throw her resume out there and see who bites. Lots of people in gen recommend transcribing something, like NPR, where the transcripts are already available, tracking time and then looking at the differences.

Based on my past experience... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Please let your friend know to stay away from Globespan out of CA. (Not sure if they have been bought out since a couple years ago when I worked for them, so I'm not sure that is still their name.) They were great to work for up until about 6 months after I started doing both legal and medical for them. They still owe me for the last two pay periods I worked for them. They initially claimed that it was put in my account via DD. I was in a bad situation at the time and was looking for another job while I continued working for them. Big mistake! I got an email stating that I had breached my contract because I contacted a client even though I had no idea how to contact the client and couldn't afford to jeopardize my job anyway. I have a friend who used to work there as well. She said that around the time they terminated me the others she knew who had been there less than a year got the same reason for termination. I spoke with a lawyer, but have never been able to afford to press the matter legally and have just counted that as a loss. I wish her luck in finding something.

Small claims court is your answer - you will win and... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
they have to pay court costs and interest, too. As to the OP, working in a law office and doing legal transcription are two different animals. I do legal transcription and we just had a hiring period. Had several apply who had just what your friend has and they couldn't cut it. Plus, the pay is very low in legal, most companies capping at 0.0054 a word NO SPACES :(

Similar Messages:

General/legal Transcription
Feb 08, 2014

Did anyone happen to get the e-mail address of an ad that appeared on the job seeker's board for general, medical and legal transcription for a person by the name of Nancy Dash?  It has disappeared today, and I just wondered if anyone might still have the e-mail address.  Thanks. ...

General Transcription, IC
Feb 14, 2011

I was contacted today with a potential offer to transcribe general work as an IC.  I have yet to find out out if they pay by the hour or line, their definition of a line, etc.  This is a new concept for me as I've always been a hospital employee.  While surfing posts on this board I learned that I have the power to define my pay and hours, but I would appreciate it if someone could shed more light on transcribing in that aspect.  I would mainly l ...

Anyone Ever Try General Transcription?
Jul 11, 2011

Was it an easy transition to make?  ...

Anyone Been Doing General Transcription For A While?
Jul 18, 2012

Anyone been doing general transcription for a while? How long should 30 minutes of audio (interviewer and Interviewee) with time stamps take? I am getting $22.50 for 30 minutes of audio, but it is taking me hours, upon hours to do and then I have to re-listing and edit it. Not sure if this job is worth it. Need some feedback. Thanks ...

General Transcription?
Jan 09, 2015

I gave up on MT as a career and am working in a different industry.  I've always loved transcribing and writing and I really miss it.  I googled "transcription jobs online" and was surprised at the number of sites that came up.  Some were non-medical, some were both.  I haven't explored them in depth yet.  Just wondering if anyone has gone this route and had any success?  Any good or bad names to share?  Feel free to PM me if they can't be mentio ...

Who Does General Transcription?
Feb 21, 2015

A few here have mentioned doing some general transcription gigs. Can you share any names of online companies?  I've read some favorable reviews on Tigerfish.  Anyone worked for them?  I looked into Elance once but wasn't impressed.  I believe they merged with Odesk?  ...

General Transcription
Jun 03, 2015

Just took a general transcription test.  Took me forever... Does anyone know what a good rate of reimbursement is per minute for those?  I know $1 a minute was what MTs  used to get.  ...

Rate For General Transcription?
Nov 18, 2009

Is it the same 10 cents per line as medical?  I am out of work right now with over 2 years of experience.  I have been checking out freelance websites, and the pay seems pretty low.  It is sometimes described as dollar amount per audio hour or as an hourly rate.  They list the hourly rate as about $5 an hour or less.  Is it because the work would be easy?  Should I bid for a job and offer 10 cents a line?   I need some work so badly I just don't know what ...

General Transcription Rate
Aug 24, 2010

What would a good rate of pay be to do general transcription?  This is not medical transcription, but general audio like a phone conversation or meeting.  ...

General Transcription Vs Medical
Sep 13, 2010

I am curious of the views of those of you who do or have done general transcription and medical transcription.  How do they compare?  Can you make more money with one or the other?  Where do you search for general transcription jobs online?  Thanks in advance ...

What To Charge For General Transcription?
Jul 16, 2012

Hi all, I have been offered a general transcription job today and they will be calling me with a pay rate. I have no idea what is fair pay for this kind of work, as I have always worked in medical transcription. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks ...

13 Dislikes For General Transcription ICs
Feb 05, 2015

xx ...

How Does General Transcription Compare To Medical?
Apr 16, 2014

For those who have done general transcription how does it compare to medical?  Is it easier? What about the pay?  Any other info wold be great too! ...

Legal Transcription Course
Jan 24, 2011

I have been an MT for 3-1/2 years and am interested in legal transcription. I have found online courses through meditec and Penn Foster and am leaning towards meditec who also offers an online paralegal course. Does anybody have any experience with either meditec or Penn Foster regarding the legal transcription and/or paralegal course? Any other ideas how I could get into legal transcription? You may also email me if you prefer. I am grateful for any information and/or advice. If you know ...

Has Anyone Ever Done Legal Transcription?
Jun 10, 2011

Has anyone ever done legal transcription? If so, was it hard to learn compared to medical? ...

Legal Transcription
Jul 16, 2014

I applied today for what I assume is an in-house legal transcription position unless I get lucky and get to work at home. This job is a 41 minute drive one way for me. I've never done legal transcription. The job description states pay is based on experience. It's strange because the ad states medical transcriptionist/paralegal. I'm confused about what exactly they are wanting since it is a law office. I think maybe they will consider any transcriptionist or so it sounds. Anyway, ...

Charge For General Transcription. Have Only Ever Charged For Medical
Jun 30, 2011

Recently contacted by a local church pastor to transcribe some sermons for him to make into a booklet form.  (Maybe 3 to 4 hours worth of work or about 160 minutes).  I have never done or charged for general transcription like that and certainly don't want to over charge a church, yet do not want to do it for free either.  They asked me would I want to be paid the same way the hospital pays me?  What are your suggestions?  Thanks in advance.  Forgive me if I pu ...

Sten-Tel - Legal Transcription ?
Apr 18, 2011

Does anyone work for Sten Tel doing legal transcription? I am starting with them this week and was just wondering if it was a good place to work for?  I am an IC and they said I could work as much as I want.  Is there always work? Do they give raises of any kind?  I am doing my training session with them on Thursday and am just a little nervous. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!  ...

What To Charge For Legal Transcription?
Jun 30, 2012

Is legal transcription generally priced the same, less than, or more than medical transcription?  Also, what is the approximate price difference, if any, in your neck of the woods? Thanks. ...

Legal Transcription - Transition Into Something Different
Jan 23, 2013

I have all these years of MT experience, but ready to transition into something different, specifically, legal transcribing. Most places (usually law firms) prefer that one have some experience either with legal transcription oreither be a paralegal or law student intern.  Is there a way I can somehow seamlessly transition into legal transcribing without all of that? ...

Legal Transcription - Thinking Of Trying
Jul 21, 2013

I'm thinking of trying legal transcription if there are no MTSOs worth sticking around for.  My current company is losing accounts to EPIC.  These sure aren't the old days when you could take your pick of MTSOs.  It's slim pickins' now.  I don't have any legal experience, but think I could pick up the terminology and formatting easily enough.  Anyone else tried it?  Are there law offices that will hire us to work at home?  What kind of transcription do you use?  ...

Legal Transcription Question
Nov 23, 2013

Wondered if anyone knows if $1/page is a decent rate for legal transcription?  As with most of us, I'm looking to get out of medical and into something else just don't know if legal reports tend to be pretty lengthy on average or not.  Thanks. ...

Did Anyone Test For The Legal Transcription
Apr 09, 2015

after you submitted a resume or the test? ...

What To Charge Per Page For Legal Transcription
Apr 08, 2011

Hi everyone. I have my own transcription business and I normally charge per minute. I just got approached by a law firm and they asked how much I would charge per page. They would be dictating letters. I have no idea how much I should charge. Any ideas? ...

I Was Offered A Legal Transcription Position...sm
Nov 19, 2012

full-time and in-house.  She is offering 5 cpl gross so even if someone says "um", I get paid 5 cpl for the whole line.  Is this a good line rate.  I have not done legal transcription before so I have no idea if this is a decent rate.  I feel that is kind of low and would like to ask if she would be willing to raise it.     What do you think? ...

Needing Advice About Legal Transcription Job.
Feb 04, 2015

I have a possible job offer with a legal firm that is willing to pay $1.25 per 25 line page and up to $1.75 per page if the audio is bad and $1.50 per page for rush reports.  The usual TAT is 3 days.  I would be transcribing mostly depositions and maybe sometimes I would be doing interviews, hearings, etc.  The depos are usually 60 to 100 pages, though sometimes can be as long as 300 pages. What do you think?  Is this a good deal?  Can I make money doing this?  At ...

Legal Transcription Jobk Posting
Apr 07, 2015

They pay $1.10 per page. There are 46 lines to a page. Even if this was paying for gross lines, it would only be .02 cents per line!  If they counted per 65 character line it would be even less! ...

Does Anyone Know The Going Rate For Legal Transcription In The Northeast?? I Am Looking To Charge B
Oct 04, 2011

nm ...

Legal Transcription - Good Website References
May 16, 2012

Hi!  I used to work for MQ, frequented this board often and appreciated the sound advice.  I have since retired from the medical transcription industry.  Recently I was asked to transcribe some recorded conversations that will ultimately be read aloud in court for a child custody case.  I'm not worried about the actual transcribing, just about proper formatting and such.  I would also like to know an approximate amount to charge, i.e., by the line, by the page, by the hour, etc.?  C ...

Fox/general Transcriptionists (general Question)
Aug 17, 2012

If you do general transcription, can you recommend a good (free or low cost) transcription program for audio files?  I tried InqScribe and it works okay, but I don't like that they make you use their built-in word processing program that doesn't have any text expanders. I use Express Scribe.  Do they have a way to transcribe videos?  (I think it has something called Prism video, but I never figured out how to use it).  Thanks. ...