A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Legal transcription - mtmt

Posted: Jul 16, 2014

I applied today for what I assume is an in-house legal transcription position unless I get lucky and get to work at home. This job is a 41 minute drive one way for me. I've never done legal transcription. The job description states pay is based on experience. It's strange because the ad states medical transcriptionist/paralegal. I'm confused about what exactly they are wanting since it is a law office. I think maybe they will consider any transcriptionist or so it sounds. Anyway, I e-mailed my resume today, but have a few questions for anyone who has done legal transcription. Please help out if you can. 

What would the pay be for legal transcription? I have 5 years in medical transcription, but no legal transcription experience.  I would love to bring my work home, but I'm not sure that would fly with the office. Maybe, I'll get lucky. 

How hard is it to convert or learn legal transcription? Would it be easier than medical? 

Can it be done from home for the most part? I'm not sure what sort of turnaround time is standard or how much the office wants on on-site transcriptionist. 

I really need a job and this one is doing transcription, which I love. It is full-time, so I'm hoping to make it work given the opportunity to interview. I just wonder what to charge or consider as entry level into the field of legal transcription and what would be worth driving such as distance. 

Please help if you can or have done legal transcription. 

some possible answers - nn

[ In Reply To ..]
For one thing, you would more than likely be an employee, so technically, you would not be "charging anything," and would probably be paid hourly. It is also highly unlikely that you would be allowed to work from home. I have a sneaking suspicion that this is probably more of a legal secretarial position and hence, you would be required to be working in the office as there would be files -- actual manila files that you would have to have access to and of course, that kind of information would not be allowed to be taken out of the office. Also, if this involves "paralegal" duties there are times when you may have to appear with the attorneys in court. I did this sort of thing many years ago, and basically interpreted "medicalese" into language that the attorneys could understand. I would transcribed from casette tapes and there were times when there could be the attorney as well as several other people involved in the meeting -- the attorney, the client and possibly other people who were familiar with the client's case.

Also, there is schooling that is involved with being a "true paralegal." It is not something that is just learned on the job but involves at least 2 (if not more now) years of schooling. HTH.

Please see job description - mtmt

[ In Reply To ..]
This is the job description as it reads except the posting says medical transcriptionist/paralegal.

Duties and Responsibilities
* Operate dictation and transcribing equipment.
* Transcribe technical medical data with close attention to detail.
* Translate medical jargon and abbreviations into full text.
* Check technical and medical information in appropriate medical reference books and databases.
* Transfer information into computerized, formatted reports.
* Used word processing software.
* Knowledge sets include: Transcribing equipment, Typist.

*Pay will depend on experience*
*Immediate placement*
40 hours week

I doubt this is going to be what you think or hope it is. - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
I did this kind of thing years ago. You can transcribe medical terms, but if there's the word "paralegal" in the description, you're going to have to know legal jargon and how to set up documents correctly. I was trained on the job, and cant count the times I made mistakes and got reamed out. These will be legal documents, they have to be perfect, a case can be won or lost on one small error - a fact that was almost screamed into my head one time.

I had a paralegal go through reams of medical documents line by line, with a ruler and highlighter, looking for things the attorney wanted. This was a huge malpractice case against a doctor.

I would really hate to see you pin your hopes on this, only to find out you'd be in way over your head - which I think it will be. The attorneys want as much talent as they can get, to pay for only one person to do 2 jobs. That's what I was hired for, my medical skill in a personal injury firm. I found out I was way in over my head when I volunteered to learn to type the legal documents. I had no idea how to type up briefs, let alone how the H to file them at the courthouse. The poor clerks up there felt sorry for me, the untrained secretary who made several trips back and forth with one document having to be constantly corrected and revised.

If there's one small typo in it, it will have to be re-filed, or re-done, or gets thrown out. That's not good when it has to be filed and stamped by 4 p.m. and you're still typing at 3 p.m. and hoping to H you can make it to the courthouse by 4 to get in line before the clerks shut down at 4:30.

Read this document and see how much work - went into this. SM

[ In Reply To ..]
Look how picky this is; double spacing, each statute citation, how to set up the title, what's bold and italicized. If it's wrong... your case is lost because document is thrown out.

http://www.wicourts.gov/html/sc/02/02-1273.htm

Disclaimer: This violates no privacy laws, HIPAA or anything. It's a matter of public record, easily searched on internet.

Thoughts - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't think that is what a paralegal does. I know they use law students in as paralegals sometimes; they have knowledge of court proceedings and the law and do appear in court. They do a boat load of research. This also really does not sound like a legal secretary or legal transcriptionist. I took some legal secretarial courses when I was learning medical and went on some job interviews before I decided to go with MT. Yes, the formatting for these documents is picky and each one can be different. I considered it more difficult than medical. The attorneys that I encountered seemed pretty demanding and expected extra hours when there were deadlines to meet. I am actually surprised that the place you will be working would consider someone without experience. I hope it works for you because it will be a great learning experience, good luck.
That document is exactly what a paralegal does. - Plus all the other misc work SM
[ In Reply To ..]
that attorneys need done. Paralegals type those documents, they do a lot of the research for it, they run mail to the post office, they make calls to clients for small things but the attorney bills that time for themselves, make hotel/airline reservations for the attorney to run to Florida to do whatever it was mine did for a case, go pick up a witness at the airport, babysit and soothe witnesses waiting their turn for deposition, they go to the video/photo store to drop off/pick up pictures as case evidence, run to a clinic to pick up client medical record copies, handle phone calls from other attorneys regarding discovery and other multiple issues, they soothe clients calling to ask about their case every single week after they're told it will take months to get a decision, they talk to insurance companies about settlements, set up conference rooms for depositions, and many other hundreds of things.

I doubt any attorneys who want a transcriptionist/paralegal is going to let the person work at home. There's too much work that needs doing from the office. I saw the 3 paralegals do all the above in the office where I worked.

I can almost guarantee this is not what the OP thinks it will be.
Paralegal - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
Read the job description again:

Duties and Responsibilities
* Operate dictation and transcribing equipment.
* Transcribe technical medical data with close attention to detail.
* Translate medical jargon and abbreviations into full text.
* Check technical and medical information in appropriate medical reference books and databases.
* Transfer information into computerized, formatted reports.
* Used word processing software.
* Knowledge sets include: Transcribing equipment, Typist.

This does not even say anything about knowing legal terms or how to format reports. It does not sound like you were a paralegal, although that may have been your job title, it sounds like you were an administrative assistant. According to this, the only skillset a person would need is knowing how to type and knowing how to operate a transcribing machine. I think you need to Google "paralegal" and see what it actually is. I would think if this employer needed someone to do all of that, a bit more might have been stated in the ad. A person would not know for sure about the job responsibilities until they had an interview. We're all putting the cart before the horse because the OP does not even yet have her foot in the door. Actually I could see something like this working into being at home 1 or 2 days a week, a lot of people telecommute these days.

To the OP, if you want a desk job without a lot of interaction with people, health information management/tech jobs might be something for you to pursue. You could work on your people skills but the stress level might be lower, maybe a more structured schedule and working environment. The legal job would definitely get you outside of your comfort zone, and you mayo find that you love it. I'm a terrible multitasker although getting better now that I am out of MT, so that's something you need to consider. Anyway, you know where MT is probably headed, so anything you try is a step in the right direction, good luck.

the words "immediate placement" make me want to ask - is this from an employment agency? NM

[ In Reply To ..]
??

Legal - mtmt

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm thinking the immediate placement just means they are willing to take on someone right away. This is just a law office, no employment agency. It is more than I thought. Thanks for pointing out a few things. I'm not interested in being in-house since it is such a drive. I probably couldn't handle being yelled at, but I could develop thicker skin. I'm trying to get out of the house and work on my people skills as much as I can't stand the thought of dealing with drama. I'd prefer to stay behind the desk and just do my job. I'm not a social butterfly.
you'll not find MT/MTSO drama out there in the real world - legal offices are grown ups. NM
[ In Reply To ..]
/
If you are looking for a job, making excuses - is not helpful.
[ In Reply To ..]
Perhaps you need to get out of your comfort zone. You might find out that you like the office, the people, and even the lawyers in it.

As someone above said, they are adults. Much less drama than MTs and MTSOs.

If you put so many restrictions and conditions on what you will accept, don't whine that no one will hire you or that there are no jobs.

My thoughts on this - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't see anything in the job description that discusses paralegal. I would be willing to bet they need someone who can transcribe medical depositions and can't find anyone.

If I were you, I would apply and put my best foot forward to get that job.

In the responses above, I see a lot of "Don't apply for that! It might be too hard! You might have to learn something!" I see the same sort of discouragement every time someone on the coding board mentions a job, too.

So what if you have to learn something? I know 2 paralegals, both of whom seem to be surviving nicely. Maybe this will be a great opportunity. If not, well, I am sure it will be a better stepping stone than the job you are in.

Go for it, and good luck to you!

I actually did this kind of work - before MT

[ In Reply To ..]
You may be paid by the hour, but if it is a plaintiff personal injury firm, they will work you to death. A lot has changed, and if you are up for the challenge and give you a chance, your job opportunities will be much better than staying with MT. You don't have to worry any more about running to the courthouse because all the filing is done electronically. They go to court when they are required to appear, which means not as much as you would think. Not all paralegals go to court with the attorneys. I actually worked for a firm that litigated cases, but they still were not in court as often as you would think they were and it is not like on TV. I wanted to get back into legal because it would be better than what things have become in MT now, but no one wants to give me an opportunity because I last worked in law 20 years ago, and yes as a legal assistant and paralegal. If I could get back in, I would. So, if you get the opportunity and they are aware that you would be learning something new, then go for it. HTH

Legal - mtmt

[ In Reply To ..]
I got called to come in for an interview. I asked what exactly the lawyer wanted as I spoke to him directly. He stated he posted the job as medical transcriptionist/legal because the lady that worked for him previously came from a medical transcription background. He said he wanted someone who could basically listen, type what is said because he is the one doing the speaking. I specifically asked about if he wanted a legal secretary or paralegal. He stated that the transcriptionist would start out on transcribing, then move into further areas depending on what is needed. He said I would be an employee too. I found him to be blunt, almost rude over the phone. He pretty much screamed over the phone, be here in the morning and we can talk not giving me time to respond to another day interview. I know he is busy, but I found him to be rude. Also when responding to my e-mail, very blunt as I have your resume, call for possible job in very bad punctuation almost like my 7-year-old wrote the e-mail. I'm not sure this is the right fit for me. My gut says it isn't.

Listen to your gut! - Legal MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Not EVER defending rude behavior (including on the internet or in forums), but my guess is he's a busy man with no time for formalities so he says what he needs to and moves on. If the phone conversation freaked you out, it's not going to be any better in person!!

It sounds like he wants you to start doing interrogatories, which is basically a Q&A type thing. That shouldn't be too difficult.

As someone who's made the switch from medical to legal (so it certainly can be done), I can tell you that I had a certified legal transcriber in the state where I live holding my hand for the first few months walking me through the different types of files (trial, deposition, hearing, sentencing, etc.). Without her, I doubt I could have figured out the formatting by myself.

In my opinion, I'd worry more about what your gut is telling you than the difficulty of the job because it doesn't seem like you could stomach him for too long if you took the job (and probably rightfully so!)

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about switching over or legal transcription in general. I'll be glad to try to answer them for you!!

Similar Messages:

Legal Transcription Course
Jan 24, 2011

I have been an MT for 3-1/2 years and am interested in legal transcription. I have found online courses through meditec and Penn Foster and am leaning towards meditec who also offers an online paralegal course. Does anybody have any experience with either meditec or Penn Foster regarding the legal transcription and/or paralegal course? Any other ideas how I could get into legal transcription? You may also email me if you prefer. I am grateful for any information and/or advice. If you know ...

Has Anyone Ever Done Legal Transcription?
Jun 10, 2011

Has anyone ever done legal transcription? If so, was it hard to learn compared to medical? ...

Sten-Tel - Legal Transcription ?
Apr 18, 2011

Does anyone work for Sten Tel doing legal transcription? I am starting with them this week and was just wondering if it was a good place to work for?  I am an IC and they said I could work as much as I want.  Is there always work? Do they give raises of any kind?  I am doing my training session with them on Thursday and am just a little nervous. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!  ...

What To Charge For Legal Transcription?
Jun 30, 2012

Is legal transcription generally priced the same, less than, or more than medical transcription?  Also, what is the approximate price difference, if any, in your neck of the woods? Thanks. ...

Legal Transcription - Transition Into Something Different
Jan 23, 2013

I have all these years of MT experience, but ready to transition into something different, specifically, legal transcribing. Most places (usually law firms) prefer that one have some experience either with legal transcription oreither be a paralegal or law student intern.  Is there a way I can somehow seamlessly transition into legal transcribing without all of that? ...

Legal Transcription - Thinking Of Trying
Jul 21, 2013

I'm thinking of trying legal transcription if there are no MTSOs worth sticking around for.  My current company is losing accounts to EPIC.  These sure aren't the old days when you could take your pick of MTSOs.  It's slim pickins' now.  I don't have any legal experience, but think I could pick up the terminology and formatting easily enough.  Anyone else tried it?  Are there law offices that will hire us to work at home?  What kind of transcription do you use?  ...

Legal Transcription Question
Nov 23, 2013

Wondered if anyone knows if $1/page is a decent rate for legal transcription?  As with most of us, I'm looking to get out of medical and into something else just don't know if legal reports tend to be pretty lengthy on average or not.  Thanks. ...

General And Legal Transcription
Feb 06, 2014

I realize this is a Medical transcriptionist site, but I know someone interested in getting into general and/or legal transcription.  She does have law office experience, however, transcribing on a daily basis, like we MTs do, is different than what is done in an office setting.  Does anyone know where she could get online training for general and/or legal transcription?  Thanks.  ...

General/legal Transcription
Feb 08, 2014

Did anyone happen to get the e-mail address of an ad that appeared on the job seeker's board for general, medical and legal transcription for a person by the name of Nancy Dash?  It has disappeared today, and I just wondered if anyone might still have the e-mail address.  Thanks. ...

Did Anyone Test For The Legal Transcription
Apr 09, 2015

after you submitted a resume or the test? ...

What To Charge Per Page For Legal Transcription
Apr 08, 2011

Hi everyone. I have my own transcription business and I normally charge per minute. I just got approached by a law firm and they asked how much I would charge per page. They would be dictating letters. I have no idea how much I should charge. Any ideas? ...

I Was Offered A Legal Transcription Position...sm
Nov 19, 2012

full-time and in-house.  She is offering 5 cpl gross so even if someone says "um", I get paid 5 cpl for the whole line.  Is this a good line rate.  I have not done legal transcription before so I have no idea if this is a decent rate.  I feel that is kind of low and would like to ask if she would be willing to raise it.     What do you think? ...

Needing Advice About Legal Transcription Job.
Feb 04, 2015

I have a possible job offer with a legal firm that is willing to pay $1.25 per 25 line page and up to $1.75 per page if the audio is bad and $1.50 per page for rush reports.  The usual TAT is 3 days.  I would be transcribing mostly depositions and maybe sometimes I would be doing interviews, hearings, etc.  The depos are usually 60 to 100 pages, though sometimes can be as long as 300 pages. What do you think?  Is this a good deal?  Can I make money doing this?  At ...

Legal Transcription Jobk Posting
Apr 07, 2015

They pay $1.10 per page. There are 46 lines to a page. Even if this was paying for gross lines, it would only be .02 cents per line!  If they counted per 65 character line it would be even less! ...

Does Anyone Know The Going Rate For Legal Transcription In The Northeast?? I Am Looking To Charge B
Oct 04, 2011

nm ...

Legal Transcription - Good Website References
May 16, 2012

Hi!  I used to work for MQ, frequented this board often and appreciated the sound advice.  I have since retired from the medical transcription industry.  Recently I was asked to transcribe some recorded conversations that will ultimately be read aloud in court for a child custody case.  I'm not worried about the actual transcribing, just about proper formatting and such.  I would also like to know an approximate amount to charge, i.e., by the line, by the page, by the hour, etc.?  C ...

Is It Legal
Mar 19, 2010

So I was having lunch with an ex-transcriptionist (got out when the getting was good) and I told her about the docking of 0.03 as of May 1 if we hit 5% QA submission.  She brought up a good point.  Is this even Legal????  If this is done then I am assuming MANY out there will be working BELOW minimum wage.  This can't be done can it?  Doesn't the Q have to pay you at LEAST minimum wage?  I try to maintain 1800+ lines a day and if I lose 0.03 and do the mat ...

Is It Legal To
Jul 26, 2010

work 6 days a week, even though it adds up to 40 hours a week?  Our supervisor is trying to force us to work 2 hours every Friday night.  This means only one full day off.  I have had to get another part-time job on call Friday and Saturday (under the table) to supplement the lost income with MQ and so can't work her mandated hours.  Is it even legal to demand that?  ...

How Is It Legal?
Dec 23, 2013

Is it really legal for Nuance to make us work a holiday, then we don't get paid for it because there are no reports, and then they expect us to work overtime another day to make up for the holiday we worked on that we were never paid for?! Did I get that right?  Has anyone here called the Labor Department?  I'm curious. I will not work overtime after missing Christmas with my family (for zero pay), in order to accomdate their poor scheduling.  I'm upset that ...

Is This Legal?
Aug 20, 2014

I missed 3 days and 3 hours of work due to computer crashing. It took all this time to purchase a new computer, get windows 8 out and windows 7 in, fix whatever for windows update to work and now I'm told I have to use PTO or MUP this week. Seriously? Well, I can't work 14 hours a day so I guess I get screwed out of my measly PTO. How is this legal? Why not just pay me for what I do this week???? ...

Is This Legal???
Apr 01, 2015

I am not able to keep track of my percentage to QC. How would I know if I am nearing the 10%? ...

Pay Per Page/legal
Nov 28, 2009

how does this sound for legal transcription work? this is my first time being offered (and quoted) this type of work and pay.  any ideas?  i did test for them and the verbatim legal test file was quite easy and well over 1-1/2 pages in a short amount of time.   <<<15 pages = $18.00 a page.  All pages count.  Usually less than 25 lines on a page>> any advice appreciated! ...

Is This A Legal Matter?
Dec 26, 2009

I was hired full-time by a small company 3 months ago, offered 15.00 hr, just recently demoted because of a complaint of quality (which was very questionable), told they would pay me 5 cpl (woohoo) for production.  Now they are not supplying me with any work, let alone full-time work!  Dont they have an obligation to fire me, lay me off or supply me with work?  How can they do this?  I cant get unemployment if I'm employed, but my employer isnt supplying me with any work ...

Here's The Legal Scoop
Mar 04, 2010

Good news and bad news.  I just got off the phone with Mr. Young.  He specializes in cases like mine, but only from an unemployment point-of-view, not class-action suits.  He also charges $3500 to take on an individual unemployment case (sheesh might as well take my first-born).  I briefly rehashed with him the fact that uf we don't comply with their new rules, they will drop our salaries by half or more, and that this has been an ongoing problem with them for years, cha ...

Is It Legal For A Company To...
Jun 29, 2010

...require MTs to work 40 hours a week as a full-time employee for less than minimum wage?  I am considering filing a class action lawsuit, but I'm getting my facts straight first. ...

Legal Action
Jun 10, 2010

I really can't believe this....well I can. I quit Medquist three weeks ago. I promptly received my labels to return my equipment which included a letter saying I needed to return the equipment within 14 days.....5 DAYS LATER...I get a letter via UPS, which I had to sign for, saying I MUST return the equipment within 7 days or legal action will be put upon me!!! Really??? First of all, I've been trying unsuccessfully to find a box and packing to protect the computer in transit, but furt ...

Legal Exploitation
Jul 19, 2011

Isn't it disgusting to know that so many MTs are victims of legal exploitaton.  Need I say more? ...

Legal Benefits
May 27, 2012

Do any of you have the legal benefits that MModal offers?  I think it's like $7 a pay period. ...

How Can It Be Legal For CCM To Add PTO On Timecard
Sep 10, 2012

I am scheduled for 35 hours a week.  If I only got 28 hours last week becuase of the holiday (no work) and the day after (no work), and not being able to make up all of that time, how is it legal that the CCM just takes my PTO and adds that to my timesheet to cover that 7 hours?  I thought we can be released with no pay.  I mean, geez... I did not request the holiday off, I signed on for my shift and only got a couple hours.  That is not my fault they overstaffed the holiday. ...

Legal Question
Mar 22, 2013

Can a potential hiree call up my current employer and ask what I make per line? Isn't it illegal to give out that info? Does anyone know? Thanks ...