A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I took an IC job with a national and haven't really ever worked as an IC before. - IC Question

Posted: Apr 29, 2012

Basically, it's been working out fine until one day last week when I received an email from the transcription manager saying that was "short on my time" on one specific day.  I was confused because while I agreed to work first shift on specific days, I wasn't aware that I was strictly held to a specific schedule and wondered how they were keeping track of my hours worked because I do not punch a time clock.  I assume they are keeping track of the hours I'm logged onto the system, but doesn't seem to gel with the concept of being an IC. 

I always send an email whenever I have to be away from my desk for an extended period of time (i.e. longer than an average lunch break) and even when I am taking a lunch I send out an email or make sure it is noted on my IM status.  So now to feel like I am having to answer for some sort of phantom missing time is kind of irritating me.  I haven't said anything about it to anyone.  Just simply said "hmmmm" when I was told and then listened to her spiel.  I didn't offer an explanation because quite frankly I felt didn't really owe them an explanation, I couldn't really remember specifically what the explanation may have been, and finally, as I said above, I always send out an email or IM and so I assume that is exactly what I did when I was away.

So am I right to be a little irritated?  I like the job so far, but I just left a job where the MTs were held under the thumb of the supervisor and I had to document every trip to the bathroom and I assumed as an IC, I would not have to go through all that nonsense anymore.

Most places only ask that you give them a general - idea of when you will be working. What

[ In Reply To ..]
does your contract say about a schedule or your work time (if anything).

the last time I worked as an IC, I just had a set line count that I was required to make per day, no schedule whatsoever. I was part time and did it at my leisure.

I would review my contract and have a talk with this person who sent you the email to get some clarification and make sure you are both on the same page.

Part of reason I'm leaving... - LeavingMT

[ In Reply To ..]
As an employee I hated having a schedule, although at that time (1997-2005) it was pretty much Sunday through Thursday getting your lines (1600) in between 6 a.m. and 11 p.m. or something like that. Sometimes we had to have ONE set day a week so she had coverage those days...but I grew tired and became an IC.

Then slowly but surely that became an "email me whenever you are away from your desk for more than an hour" to "more than 10 minutes" to her calling whenever she felt like it until 11 p.m. at night if you didn't answer an email right away. Now I hear she wants a schedule and line counts, and if you leave you have to find coverage (which is almost impossible since no one knows anyone else at that place coupled with the fact usually 1-2 transcriptionists were trained on some accounts therefore vacations were sometimes impossible).

So I came back to employee only and now it's an 8 hour shift and I'm supposed to clock out if I stand up. Um no. Coupled with speech wreck I'll just go quietly this month (May yay!) and after nearly 25 years I'll just do something else.

They want their cake and to eat it too.

IC status - mtgal1963

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm pretty certain it is against the law for a transcription service to hold an IC to a set schedule. They cannot tell an IC when to work ... only when the work is available. No punching time clocks or anything. I don't know how your transcription supervisor is keeping track if you don't punch in or out through a time clock system. I think they are crossing a line here. I do IC work for a company and I log off and on at all hours of the day and night and nothing is ever said. They actually stress to us over and over that as ICs rather than employees, they cannot dictate schedules to us.

Three words, save those emails. They will be - oldtimer

[ In Reply To ..]
your proof if you are let go that you were really an employee and not an IC. You most likely will be able to collect unemployment benefits until you find another job. Limit phone conversations and try to conduct all conversations via email.

Thank you for posting this! I never would have thought to save - IC Question

[ In Reply To ..]
the emails had I not read your post. As I read your post I took them out of the deleted items folder printed them and then saved them to a jump drive!

You'd think I'd be better at covering my arse!

Similar Messages:

Getting Back Into MT At A National...
Nov 11, 2010

I tried to post this on the company board but I guess that was the wrong place.  So I am sorry for having made that error.  I'm new to the forum, so I do apologize for any mistakes I make posting going forward  and well in advance of making them.  I do hope that I am putting this on the right board; however, if I am not some direction in that regard would be appreciated as well.  Where does a post like this belong exactly?  I do need some objective help with th ...

National Punctuation Day
Sep 03, 2012

FYI Monday, September 24, is National Punctuation Day.  Visit nationalpunctuationday.com to learn more. Let your QA people know about this day! ...

Proposed: National SR Celebration Day
Feb 04, 2012

It only takes Googling phrases like "celebration day", "recognition day", "remembrance day" and such to prove to yourself that we are a nation of celebrators, recognizers and rememberers.  To name but a few: National Doctors Day - March 30 National Nurses Day - May 6 National POW Day - 3rd Friday in September Make a Difference Day - 4th Saturday in October Earth Day - April 22 Administrative Professionals Day - April 25 International Chocolate Day - September 13 World Alzheimer Day ...

A Matter Of National Security?
Sep 28, 2012

With the nature of world affairs and US relations such as they are, I can't help but think how wrong it is for companies in general, but specifically MTSOs, to be sending highly sensitive information overseas the way they do. It scares me to think about my social security number, date of birth, address, etc. being handled by someone who doesn't necessarily feel the sense that they must protect that information. Maybe instead of complaining about how much work is being offshored, we s ...

National Holiday In India
Jan 25, 2013

I just read on line that today is a national holiday in India.  I was reading about the trial of the men who raped and killed that girl and the court will reconvene on Monday as today is a national holiday over there.  I wonder if that will mean more work for us?  Ya think??!! ...

I Thought It Was OUR National MT Week
May 18, 2015

MT week, Scottie? There go the 400 gift cards - straight to India ...

Baby Was Delivered By National Delivery.
Sep 24, 2010

Guess they took over for the stork?  My ASR has also taken a holiday from all small words today:  is, was, the, and, then, etc.  I guess it has been threatened to be more productive also.  Just skip half the words and voila -- twice the production.  That gets really tedious hour after hour.  Disclaimer:  I am happy to have a job.  Do not wish to find another one.  Too old for career change.  Thank you. ...

Easiest National MTSO To Get Hired By...?
Nov 13, 2010

Curious which national MTSO has the easiest tests to pass for a newbie or someone coming back to the field after an extended abscence... I've heard MQ is the hardest, andyone have any others they want to mention?  ...

NATIONAL MEDICAL TRANSCRIPTIONIST WEEK
Feb 21, 2011

National Medical Transcriptionist Week is May 16 - 22 What are you doing to celebrate it?  I'm looking for some creative ways for our work group to celebrate. ...

Anyone Who Works For A National Work Christmas Day? (msg)
Dec 27, 2011

What was your total pay for the day?  Do most pay on-call time? ...

Anyone Know Of National Companies That Provide Computer? Sm
Mar 04, 2012

I am facing layoff at the end of March and looking for at home work, but do not have and cannot afford a computer.... ...

National Labor Relations Board, Says
Dec 09, 2014

discuss your pay in public as much as you would like. It is the law.  It does not matter if you have signed a nondisclosure statement on salary as that is not legal. If you are fired for talking about your salary you have legal grounds for compensation. Of course distributing copyrighted material is illegal, but you can talk about your work concerns and salary in public. It is the law no matter what a company tells you. You do not have to be part of a union. You have rights as an employee ...

NATIONAL MEDICAL TRANSCRIPTIONIST STRIKE! ..
Feb 19, 2015

As MTs, we have seen over the years how our jobs just keep bottoming out more or less.  Companies are taking advantage of us while they "suck up all the money" that is paid out by healthcare facilities; we just "don't count."  On top of that, companies are now trying to turn us into ICs supplying our own software programs AND equipment.  In 25 years of doing this, I have not seen line count pay increase one iota quite frankly.  The only thing I can think of is ...

Anybody Have Experience With National Medical Transcription Company?
Oct 07, 2010

I received a job interview for an IC position with a company called National Medical Transcription with headquarters in New York.  Has anybody worked with this company? My main concern was that the company does not offer direct deposit but rather issues a check via mail.  Next concern is a "transparent" means of tallying up productivity for 65 character lines and spaces included. I would appreciate any feedback from present or past contractors. Thank you. ...

Hospital Transcription Department To National Company
Apr 29, 2014

Is there anybody here who worked for a hospital in the transcrption department only to have their jobs yanked out from under t hem and sent to a National such as Nuance?  I know somebody who works for a local hospital and it looks like they secretly are in the process of making this move....some very strange secretive things going on that makes me wonder...... What was the  process for your hospital if this happened to you?????  I'm wondering if my suspicions are spot-on. &nb ...

Do National Services Usually Provide Line Count Documentation?
Oct 24, 2009

The company I work for provides no documentation of what they are paying me for, not even on my pay stub.  There is a way to check on the system but it isn't consistent with what I get paid.  Any comments?  ...

Haven't Even Graduated...
Jan 11, 2010

..well, I'm really close to finishing. It seems as though, based off things said here, I've made a bad decision. Oh well, I'm almost done, so I mine as well finish and sit for the RMT exam. I actually am applying to school for respiratory therapy. Any newbie's have anything positive to say about their experiences getting started as an MT? I hate to have a negative attitude, that's really not how I am, but sometimes you have to be realistic. I'll still apply to MT jo ...

Haven't Had E-mail From CCM Since 07/08.
Jul 14, 2010

??? ...

Haven't Heard Anything
Jul 14, 2011

Hi everyone I feel like I just have to vent a little.  Hope that's okay.  I've been a transcriptionist for a long time (17 years) but I am beginning to believe that I must really stink !!   I had applied to Transtech and Transolutions and haven't heard a word.   I am thinking it's me.  I currently work nights from home and I swear I have not heard dictators like the ones I have been getting, all ESL and I can barely tell what they are talki ...

Are There Still Some Of You With No Work?? I Haven't Had A
Jan 04, 2013

report in over 2 hours.  I'm thankful this is not my family's main source of income but I do need what I used to make.  As I said before, I am collecting partial SUI for times like these but really guys, how can we remain employed by a company who does not give us work????  I'm sorry once again for venting.  ...

Haven't Been Here In Awhile
Nov 29, 2013

and though I am not thrilled with the pay at my new job after leaving Transcend/Nuance, reading this reminds me why I did leave and reminds me of how stressed I was with them.  I have been contacted by lawyers that really seem to be working the class action case.  Maybe there's hope on the horizon.  ...

Where Is Whodat? I Haven't Seen Any
Mar 16, 2014

posts by her recently?  Whodat, if you see this post, let us know what's up and how you are. ...

Is The System Down? Haven't Been Able To
Apr 15, 2015

x ...

I Was Told That If You Are At Of Work You Haven't
Oct 30, 2012

Asked for work, that there is plenty of work and they need lots of MTs to handle all the work.  I was born at night but it wasn't last night and I'm sure you aren't posting there isn't work because you are so busy working OT. ...

Haven't Heard From My TSM Since Friday
Oct 07, 2013

that's odd.. anybody else? ...

So How Many Of Us Are Left, Who Haven't Heard Either Way ...
Mar 20, 2014

... besides me? ...

Wow ... It's True ... I Haven't Had The Same 2 Accounts All Day
Oct 24, 2014

I've been all over the place today, from California to New York and everywhere in between, and not a single report from ANY of my "primaries" ... not even one.  There doesn't seem to be ANY rhyme or reason to the type or location of the reports I've gotten ... it's crazy.  It's like a switch has been flipped since yesterday, and I also notice my Teamwork timecard has my manager's name changed to the new one.  Guess this is what my work flow will look ...

I Haven't Been To This Board In A Month And It Is The Same Old Song
Oct 14, 2010

I swear I stopped coming to this board a month or two ago, and today is my first day coming back and it is the same thing!  Oh, MT is not what is used to be...oh, we make minimum wage...oh, I hate my life....oh, blah blah blah.  If you hate it so bad, then quit and go work at McDonald's!  Leave this business and give us MTs who enjoy their job more work to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ...

I Haven't Been Able To Access My Email For Days.
Dec 26, 2010

Is this more than just the standard ASR pay cut?  Please tell me no.  It's CHRISTMAS! ...

Haven't Seen Any Posts About Oracle Lately. Is Everyone Still Happy?
Mar 05, 2011

x ...