A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Haven't even graduated... - kimba2

Posted: Jan 11, 2010

..well, I'm really close to finishing. It seems as though, based off things said here, I've made a bad decision. Oh well, I'm almost done, so I mine as well finish and sit for the RMT exam. I actually am applying to school for respiratory therapy. Any newbie's have anything positive to say about their experiences getting started as an MT? I hate to have a negative attitude, that's really not how I am, but sometimes you have to be realistic. I'll still apply to MT jobs, but I'm not going to hold my breathe. When I looked into MT, I checked the bls/gov, and it didn't seem like it was a bad field to get into, not the greatest, but that  there was still an increasing need for MT's. IDK...at least school wasn't a lot of money.

Research new choice as well! - This bad economy

[ In Reply To ..]
Had a friend who went to school for RT, they haven't been able to find a job, & working in a completely different unrelated field because of it. I wouldn't hold your breath for any job right now. In the area where I live hospitals are in a hiring freeze, just making current employees work harder instead of bringing more people on. I'd say the only health care job you could train for right now and absolutely find a job upon completion is a CNA.

Thanks.... - kimba2

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm actually already a C.N.A., Medical Assist., Vet. Tech, and took all of my LPN prerequsites (and will be finishing up MT school). Resp. Therapy seems to be thriving here in Denver. I figure I'll just go for what would truly make me happy, and that is cardiopulmonary medicine. I'm just hoping the economy will get better in the next couple years, once I finish. I'm not going to just put my life and future dreams on hold because of the current status of our country, ya know? Things will eventually get better, I just want to get a decent degree for when the time does come :) Thanks for your reply!
And
P.S., there are a lot of jobs for CNA's out there, I'm just done with that kinda work. But yes, CNA jobs are a plenty, for sure, so anyone else reading this, that IS a good field to get into, and training is quick, plus, MT's are at such a great advantage for the simple fact of the medical terminology that you know.

Similar Messages:

I Just Graduated
Mar 20, 2013

I just graduated from Career Step's MT curriculum with Honors. I'm looking around for jobs now but I'm very nervous.  What is I'm too slow or I am not as accurate as they want me to be? Will companies be more understanding to inexperienced transcriptionists who just went to school? Also I was scrolling down the forum and a lot of people are saying no one is hiring. Is that true? ...

Just Graduated... Any Advice????
Jan 05, 2010

I know that the MT world is starting to get difficult to find gainful employment, but I am a recent Honors graduate.  Do any of the experienced MT's have any advice of getting into the business?  I really have my heart set on making this work.  So any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.  Maybe, if you would have some names of companies that are willing to take a chance on a newbie.  I hope that everyone had a wonderful Holiday Season.   ...

Newly-Graduated MT
May 27, 2010

I'm a newly-graduated MT - I just graduated 4 weeks ago. I'm feeling really nervous, reading all the postings here, because it sounds like I chose the wrong field to go into. And I had to spend my IRA funds for these classes, too! I went through a 1-year certificate program (it actually took me two years to finish because of the way classes were scheduled). I feel it was thorough education - anatomy/physiology, pharmacology, lab/diagnostic tests, human diseases, medical terminology, ph ...

Verifying A MD's Name When I Saw He Graduated From
Nov 09, 2010

I kid you not!  Made me think of the movie Annie.  My daughter loves that movie and there's a character named Punjab who wears a turban and levitates objects.  Made me chuckle. ...

For Those Of You Who Have Graduated From Andrews
Jan 19, 2012

Are any of you actually working as coders? ...

Graduated Have Not Taken My CPC Or CCS Exam Yet
Jan 01, 2013

Hello everyone. I graduated last Sept with my coding degree and intend to take my CPC or CCS certification test or possibly both eventually. I am wondering if anyone who is currently coding has been able to had a hard time finding their 1st position out of school ? My school was not helpful when it came to career services and the hospital where I interned was too small to hire me after graduation. I have applied to some of my local hospitals only to be told you have to have minimum of 2 years ex ...

Has Anyone Graduated From U.S. Career Institute?
Jul 10, 2010

I'm currently studying MT at this school at home and I love it but from reading some posts, it looks as tho jobs are hard to find?  Is this true? ...

Newly Graduated MT..and Scared
May 04, 2011

So the second week of April I got my graduation certificate in the mail from At-Home Profession's Medical Transcription Program. I am excited, I am ready for some MT work. I have been applying to places online and have sent out introduction letters to 20 different clinics and doctors offices with my information and business cards. Most places that are looking for MT's on this website require at least 1 year of experience and I can understand that. I am a newbie and no one likes to carr ...

Graduated From Andrews About A Week Ago
Jul 28, 2011

I graduated from Andrews about a week ago and am thrilled to say I got a job already! I had only sent out 4 resumes and took 1 test. I am posting just to show there are jobs out there for newbies and of course it does matter where you go to school I think. So newbies stay positive and you will find a job! ...

Graduated About A Year Ago From Andrews
Jun 17, 2012

I graduated about a year ago from Andrews, but was needed to care for an elderly family member. I can now work, but am having a hard time because of no experience and a year out of school. Any suggestions? Thank you! ...

Where Can I Go To Find A JOB As A Newly Graduated MT??????
Apr 02, 2014

I just graduated the MT and Editor program through Everett Community College. Where can I go to find a JOB????? Any suggestions???? Thanks! ...

Recently Graduated From MT School, Can't Find A Job!
Feb 14, 2010

I have recently graduated with a certificate in Medical Transcription and am finding it difficult to find a job! I am a Respiratory Therapist full-time and just want something part-time at home for extra income and to gain experience to hopefully do transcription as a full-time career.  Can anyone give me any advice on how to go about finding employment?  I have put my application in for several jobs but my lack of experience has been a problem. I think that maybe I am just looking in ...

Newly Graduated, Again Is There A Company That Hires New MTs
Jul 11, 2010

From this board, one would assume that there are quite a few graduates out there looking for jobs. I find myself in this uneviable position. Are there companies who hire new grads? I am beginnning to believe that are none.   ...

Average Lph Count For Newly Graduated Mt?
Sep 16, 2012

What is an average Lph count for newly graduated mts?   ...

Newly Graduated. Searching For Companies
May 14, 2013

I recently graduated MT school from Career Step and I'm in the process of looking up companies that would be good to apply for. I have a small list of potential companies but I would rather not apply without any feedback on the company first. I'd rather not be offered a job and take it not knowing anything about them. If you know anything (good or bad) about the following companies I would greatly appreciate your input! MedScribe TriStar RI Transcription Quality Transcripti ...

Bus Driver Said She Graduated From Medical Billing/coding School
Sep 25, 2012

and the reason she's driving a bus is because she hasn't been able to find a job as a coder since graduation. I asked her if she took her certification exam yet, and she said no. I didn't say anything but maybe this is the reason why she hasn't gotten hired yet. ...

Haven't Had E-mail From CCM Since 07/08.
Jul 14, 2010

??? ...

Haven't Heard Anything
Jul 14, 2011

Hi everyone I feel like I just have to vent a little.  Hope that's okay.  I've been a transcriptionist for a long time (17 years) but I am beginning to believe that I must really stink !!   I had applied to Transtech and Transolutions and haven't heard a word.   I am thinking it's me.  I currently work nights from home and I swear I have not heard dictators like the ones I have been getting, all ESL and I can barely tell what they are talki ...

Are There Still Some Of You With No Work?? I Haven't Had A
Jan 04, 2013

report in over 2 hours.  I'm thankful this is not my family's main source of income but I do need what I used to make.  As I said before, I am collecting partial SUI for times like these but really guys, how can we remain employed by a company who does not give us work????  I'm sorry once again for venting.  ...

Haven't Been Here In Awhile
Nov 29, 2013

and though I am not thrilled with the pay at my new job after leaving Transcend/Nuance, reading this reminds me why I did leave and reminds me of how stressed I was with them.  I have been contacted by lawyers that really seem to be working the class action case.  Maybe there's hope on the horizon.  ...

Where Is Whodat? I Haven't Seen Any
Mar 16, 2014

posts by her recently?  Whodat, if you see this post, let us know what's up and how you are. ...

Is The System Down? Haven't Been Able To
Apr 15, 2015

x ...

I Took An IC Job With A National And Haven't Really Ever Worked As An IC Before.
Apr 29, 2012

Basically, it's been working out fine until one day last week when I received an email from the transcription manager saying that was "short on my time" on one specific day.  I was confused because while I agreed to work first shift on specific days, I wasn't aware that I was strictly held to a specific schedule and wondered how they were keeping track of my hours worked because I do not punch a time clock.  I assume they are keeping track of the hours I'm logged onto th ...

I Was Told That If You Are At Of Work You Haven't
Oct 30, 2012

Asked for work, that there is plenty of work and they need lots of MTs to handle all the work.  I was born at night but it wasn't last night and I'm sure you aren't posting there isn't work because you are so busy working OT. ...

Haven't Heard From My TSM Since Friday
Oct 07, 2013

that's odd.. anybody else? ...

So How Many Of Us Are Left, Who Haven't Heard Either Way ...
Mar 20, 2014

... besides me? ...

Wow ... It's True ... I Haven't Had The Same 2 Accounts All Day
Oct 24, 2014

I've been all over the place today, from California to New York and everywhere in between, and not a single report from ANY of my "primaries" ... not even one.  There doesn't seem to be ANY rhyme or reason to the type or location of the reports I've gotten ... it's crazy.  It's like a switch has been flipped since yesterday, and I also notice my Teamwork timecard has my manager's name changed to the new one.  Guess this is what my work flow will look ...

I Haven't Been To This Board In A Month And It Is The Same Old Song
Oct 14, 2010

I swear I stopped coming to this board a month or two ago, and today is my first day coming back and it is the same thing!  Oh, MT is not what is used to be...oh, we make minimum wage...oh, I hate my life....oh, blah blah blah.  If you hate it so bad, then quit and go work at McDonald's!  Leave this business and give us MTs who enjoy their job more work to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ...

I Haven't Been Able To Access My Email For Days.
Dec 26, 2010

Is this more than just the standard ASR pay cut?  Please tell me no.  It's CHRISTMAS! ...

Haven't Seen Any Posts About Oracle Lately. Is Everyone Still Happy?
Mar 05, 2011

x ...