A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I need info on how to turn a company in to IRS...sm - Sick N Tired

Posted: Apr 27, 2010

I read the posts below on the difference between an IC and an employee.  However, in applying to what was reported to be a "good company to work for" recently, I was told of the schedule I needed to be "willing" to work, as well as the rate I would paid, even though I thought it was low.  When I tried to explain that IRS will not allow them to do this, I was basically told to buzz off.  I'm tired of it and I'm going to turn them in.  It's about time MTSOs had to learn the difference and conform with those rules.  I won't roll over on this one!  Any help will be greatly appreciated, and hopefully some time in the future it will help someone working at that company! 

They sure have gotten cocky, havent they? MTSOs - think theyre above the law. -sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Kind of like Goldman Sachs, eh? Flagrantly cheating everyone, and thinking they're too big to ever get in trouble for it.

Good for you for turning them in. It's about time someone did!

yep - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
FOX NEWS radio -- you can listen on line and live with WLS, Chicago, WINK, Fort Myers, FL, DO a search "conservative talk radio" this will get moved, but do a websearch - you DONT have to be in "an area" to listen, I am in FL, get EVERYTHING

here's a link, I hope it helps - sm - sssdt

[ In Reply To ..]
http://www.treas.gov/tigta/contact_report.shtml

You're talking about the place that a certain unnamed MT school just emailed us all about, aren't you? I was VERY suspicious of them from that email alone.

Actually it's a company, not a school. I'll call...sm - Sick N Tired

[ In Reply To ..]
IRS tomorrow to report this company and let you know what I find out. Thanks for the info!

Email and forward any info to everyone you can...sm - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
including the department of labor, your senators, representatives, the IRS, the president. I don't know if it helps but it can't hurt. I have a list and have been sending it along with monthly additions to bombard everyone I can think of. I am on unemployment right now and have even told my worker that I have refused offerings because the companies are in violation of IRS mandates. We really need to stand together to avoid being sold down the river. If you have ANY schedule requirements you are any employee not an IC.

My idea is to set up an anonomous hotmail account and answer every illegitimate IC job offering with a statement of the illegility of their offer any why you are reporting them to the Department of Labor and the IRS. If everyone stood together and did this it would help all of us.

Reporting to IRS - Dee

[ In Reply To ..]
There is a form that you can download from the IRS website. It is for people who have actually worked for a particular company and want their policies looked into and hopefully getting them to pay the employment taxes that the worker would normally have to pay as a self-employed entity. I am completing one right now on a company that needs to explain themselves. They even penalized me when I left by keeping half of my paycheck. The process can take up to six months from the time you file the form with the IRS to get a resolution.

Good for all of you doing this!!! - Tiredofitall NM

[ In Reply To ..]
no message

Increased scrutiny by DOL - better watch out!

[ In Reply To ..]
Pasted from an FLSA bulletin dated April 26, 2010: In addition to lawsuits filed by plaintiff attorneys seeking to recover unpaid overtime wages, liquidated damages and attorneys̢۪ fees, employers must also be concerned that The U.S. Department of Labor̢۪s Wage and Hour Division recently hired 250 new field investigators and announced its intention to increase enforcement.

This is great news! As an UPDATE: To all the MTSOs....sm - Sick N Tired

[ In Reply To ..]
who have contacted me trying to get the name of the company, apparently you are all worried - as well you should be! You don't need to sit and wait for a return msg from me. Instead, just wait for the DOL and other govt institutions to contact you. Then you will know who I was talking about! Pretty funny, though - they all mostly ask for the information, promising to keep it confidential! I might have been born one night, but I can guarantee you it was NOT last night! Apparently some pretty nervous nellies out there. Makes me wonder - wouldn't it just be better if you followed the IRS RULES? Better for you, better for your so-called "ICs" who are actually employees, and a nice job for everybody concerned! Amazing, just simply amazing!

Careful - Ima MT

[ In Reply To ..]
what you wish for.

I agree there are services who are boldly misclassifying workers.

There are, however, MTs who don't have a clue what an IC really is or what is legal and what is not (such as you CAN work according to a schedule).

So many of you are begging for regulation of MT and that's all well and good. But when you find you can't get a job because MTSOs now have to pay even less or send more jobs offshore, well ask yourself if it was all worth it.

There was nothing in the original post that was "report worthy" IMO. The poster didn't take the job so she really has no clue what that service is all about.

Good luck on achieving your goals, just make sure you know what they are, because I have a feeling you don't.
Well, excuse me, but I know exactly what the job...sm - Sick N Tired
[ In Reply To ..]
was all about. To make a statement like that makes me suspicious that you, too, are an MTSO. Otherwise, you would want this company, and any others who are like this one, to be reported. The reason MTs don't have a clue, as you state, is because MTSOs have been taking advantage of them for far, FAR too long. I'm reporting this company. If it happens to be yours and you get compensated in the end, you can thank me. Otherwise, if you are the MTSO, well what goes around comes around!
Pull out some new lines will ya? - Ima MT
[ In Reply To ..]
Anything contrary to your spewing makes someone an MTSO.

There ARE some companies who knowingly misclassify.

But to my mind, you sound like another uninformed MT shooting off at the mouth without a clue.

Go ahead, report all you want. You want regulation? Tell me how you're making out when you get it. Me? I'll still be golden because I make sure I'm a true IC, including the schedule I share with my clients (which is what an MTSO is to an IC).

Sheeesh! Why not just go apply to Wally World, or wait, you'd likely want to blame them too, right?
OMG, I am not sure of the reason for your animosity.sm - Sick N Tired
[ In Reply To ..]
Are you afraid the boat will be tilted away from you? Just because you are satisfied to "settle" does not mean the rest of quality MTs who want to be treated justly and fairly are! I have been in the MT field for a very long time so, as far as being uniformed, I am not. I'm just as my name states - Sick and Tired of MTSOs getting by with low pay for ICs. It's getting worse instead of better, and I can't imagine why you wouldn't want better conditions for others. OTOH, maybe you are just happy in your piece of the world. If so, good for you, but I won't sit by idly any more. I'm going to be proactive! And blaming THEM for what they are doing wrong is exactly what I'm doing.

I really don't think your snide remark about WM was necessary, either, but it just sounds like you are upset with anybody who wants to make things right. Go for it and do your thing. I'm gonna do mine!
Dont pay her any mind - got a screw loose somewhere, - and just trying to start a fight. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Ima, if you could contribute some info regarding this issue, it would make - it worth our time to read your posts. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
...and here comes the management plant. - Predictable as always
[ In Reply To ..]

We can make DOL"s job easier by leading them - directly to the companies who cheat us. -nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Bout time, too! "Go sic-em, DOL!" It just cant - happen soon enough for me! -nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Not an IRS issue. This is an issue for the - Department of Labor.

[ In Reply To ..]
There is a lot of confusion here. Although the IRS ultimately enforces some of the "labor" questions related to IC-versus-employee status, it is the Department of Labor that is the primary agency in such matters.

The great thing about this is that you can complain to EITHER the state OR the federal DOL when it comes to these matters.

I encourage you to do so. At one point we had the "IC" notion almost completely obliterated, but the feds took their eyes off the ball to concentrate on other matters, and it's back. It will take another company being brought down (as in the past) for this disgusting practice to once again be addressed.

Yes, this is definitely an IRS issue - as well as DOL

[ In Reply To ..]
The reason that it is an IRS issue is because the MTSO is intentionally misclassifying employees as ICs in order to avoid paying the related employee taxes. And this avoidance of paying taxes is what makes it an IRS issue.

Unfortunately, behavior like this MTSO has become rampant in this industry. The MTSOs want to dictate hours, days and schedules (which makes the MT an employee), but they call their MTs an "IC" so they won't have to pay any taxes. Completely wrong and illegal to do. So yes, the IRS would be very interested in investigating a company like this.

If theyre cheating us and dinging our wages, that - means theyre also getting less tax revenue. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

(Not to mention all the tax revenue thats being sent - overseas to India!) - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Here is why MTSOs that hire Independent Contractors are running scared - Hang on to your hats - it is going to be a bumpy r

[ In Reply To ..]

Here is why MTSOs that hire Independent Contractors are running scared.

New bill introduced this week.  Could be a law in a matter of weeks. 

On April 22, 2010, a long-awaited bill addressing the issue of misclassification of employees as independent contractors was introduced by the House (Rep. Lynn Woolsey, D-CA) and Senate (Sen. Sherrod Brown, D-OH). The bills, H.R. 5107 and S. 3254, are called the Employee Misclassification Prevention Act (EMPA). They would amend the federal Fair Labor Standards Act to impose strict recordkeeping and notice requirements on businesses with respect to workers treated as independent contractors, and expose such businesses to fines from $1,100 up to $5,000 per employee for each violation of the law.

The purpose of EMPA is to curtail and penalize the practice of many businesses in the United States of misclassifying employees as independent contractors. This practice has reportedly contributed to the “tax gap” at both the federal and state level, as well as a loss of federal and state labor protections for those workers that, by law, should be classified as employees instead of as independent contractors.

EMPA does not prohibit businesses from continuing to use properly classified independent contractors; it only prohibits companies from misclassifying workers as independent contractors when such workers are really employees.

Nonetheless, all businesses would be affected by EMPA, because it imposes upon every company that uses either employees or independent contractors a recordkeeping and a notice requirement. Any business that fails to provide the required notice would be subject to fines, even if its independent contractors are properly classified.

Briefly, if enacted into law as drafted, EMPA would:

• require every company covered by the law to provide a written notice to all workers who perform labor or services informing them that they have been classified as either an employee or “non-employee,” directing them to a Department of Labor Web site for further information about the rights of employees under the law, and informing them to contact the Department of Labor if they have any questions about whether they have been misclassified

• require companies which are now required to keep records of the hours of work and wages of employees to keep comparable records for “non-employees” providing labor or services to the business

• add a new provision making it a “prohibited act” under federal law to fail to accurately classify a worker as an employee (i.e., to misclassify a worker as a non-employee)

• impose upon businesses a penalty from $1,100 to $5,000 per worker for a violation of the notice or recordkeeping requirements or for misclassifying an employee as a non-employee, and

• impose triple damages for willful violations of the minimum wage or overtime laws where the employer has misclassified the affected employee.

In addition, EMPA would direct the Secretary of Labor to:

• establish a misclassification Web site that would enable workers to file complaints online and notify them that employees may have greater rights under state or local laws than under federal law

• amend the Social Security Act to establish penalties for misclassifying employees or for paying unreported wages to employees for unemployment compensation purposes

• authorize the Department of Labor to report misclassification information to the IRS, and

• direct the Department of Labor to conduct “targeted audits” of certain industries “with frequent incidence of misclassifying employees as non-employees.”

The proposed legislation also seeks to pierce the corporate veil of corporations, partnerships, and LLCs owned in whole or part by the worker and used to avoid the issuance of Form 1099s.

EMPA is one of two bills introduced in this legislative term that deal with misclassification of employees. In 2009, the House and Senate introduced the Taxpayer Responsibility, Accountability, and Consistency (TRAC) Act of 2009 (S. 2882 and H.R. 3408). If enacted, the TRAC Act would limit the availability of the so-called “safe harbor” provisions in Section 530 of the Revenue Act of 1978, which has been relied on by many businesses to designate workers as independent contractors for federal employment tax purposes. The TRAC Act also would afford workers the right to petition the IRS for a determination of the worker’s status, and increase penalties of up to $1 million to $3 million for intentional disregard by taxpayers filing incorrect Form 1099s. Both houses of Congress are expected to reintroduce TRAC Act bills in 2010 that are similar or identical to those bills introduced in 2009.

The introduction of EMPA is consistent with the national labor policy of the Obama Administration. The recently released Budget for Fiscal Year 2011 authorized $25 million to the Department of Labor to target employee misclassification through the hiring of 90 additional investigators and 10 additional lawyers to pursue “a joint proposal that eliminates incentives in law for employers to misclassify their employees” and “enhances the ability of both agencies to penalize employers who misclassify.”

WOW!!!!!!

Things are going to change soon. 

I like it. Now, if they would just pass something - similar with regards to offshoring work!!! -nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

suddenly, it makes sense - sm - sssdt

[ In Reply To ..]
The OM at the small MTSO I work for has treated the ICs like employees from Day 1. Suddenly last week she not only became nice (instead of the raving, frothing lunatic she usually is) but has been VERY flexible with IC's schedules. Now I know why!

Similar Messages:

Looking For Company With 12 To 24 Turn Around Time
Aug 05, 2014

Who is hiring or a company that just requires a set amount of lines per day with no set schedule if there is such a company. TIA ...

Any Info About This Company?
Oct 11, 2009

This company has an ad on the job board...anyone work for them.  Any info at all appreciated!  ...

TTS Need Info On This Company
Nov 26, 2010

Has anyone worked here? I was offered a job and the pay is the highest i have seen in a long time.. over 5 cents for speech, almost 9 for regular (though we all know that regular dictations are decreasing).  Any info appreciated. ...

Company Info?
Jun 07, 2011

Has anyone worked for or heard anything about Advanced Medical Transcription Service, LLC out of New Jersey? I checked old posts but couldn't find anything current. Thanks in advance for any advice! ...

Future Net - Info On This Company?
Oct 15, 2009

Any info on this company?  Pay?  Platform?  Any work there?  Any info appreciated...:) ...

IMedX? Any Info On This Company?
Nov 09, 2009

anyone have any information on a company called iMedX?  I had an interview with them today and am wondering if anyone has any experience with them.......... ...

Optiscript-does Anyone Have Any Info On This Company
Jun 17, 2010

Hi, Does anyone have any info on this compan, good, bad or indifferent.  Thanks. ...

ANP Transcription - Info On This Company?
Jul 28, 2010

Anybody have info on this company?  I took sample test, a verbatim lecture.  Wondering about quality of company. ...

ETransPlus - Any Info On This Company?
Jul 17, 2011

Any info on this company?  Was thinking of applying.  Pay on time, VR or straight typing, good people?? ...

Any Info On A Company Transolutions?
Feb 12, 2013

Does anyone have any info on a company Transolutions?  I tested with them and I haven't heard back, good or bad, from them. ...

TTS - Any Recent Info On This Company?
Mar 15, 2013

Does anyone have any recent info on this company?  I have been seeing ads for them lately and was thinking of applying.  The most recent information I can find on them is from 2008.  Any input would be appreciated! ...

Ameriscript? Does Anyone Have Info On This Company?
Jun 11, 2015

Not much info in archives.  Any info would be helpful.  Thanks. ...

The Transcription Doctors - Any Info On This Company?
Jun 22, 2011

Any info on this company?  Good, bad, pay on time.  TIA! ...

Alpha Transcription - Any Info On This Company?
Nov 21, 2010

Does anybody have any info on this company? I believe they are located in Missouri? Anything would be helpful the good, the bad and the ugly! THX!! ...

ETransPlus - Any Info On This Company, Good Or Bad?
Mar 24, 2011

Does anyone have any info on this company, good or bad? ...

K&R Consulting - Current Info On This Company?
Mar 30, 2011

Does anyone have current info on this company? Hours, schedule, pay, etc.    I sure would appreciate feedback. Is it typing only?  Thanks! ...

Any Info On SR 11 Medical Transcription Company?
May 06, 2011

nm ...

Nuance Transcription Company Info?
Jun 07, 2011

Our facility recently contracted with Nuance and all MT's were "offered" a position with Nuance. What should we expect? Has anyone worked for or currently working for this company? ...

Transcription Doctors - Have Any Info On The Company
Jul 08, 2011

Does anyone have any info on the company, Transcription Doctors? ...

Lutz Transcription? Info On This Company?
Aug 08, 2011

Anyone have any info on this company?  Good, bad, indifferent.....? ...

TransTech - Current Info For This Company?
Apr 02, 2012

I looked but do not really find much current info for this company.  They "seem" pretty liget with basic line requirements, decent pay for VR, good benefits, ect.  Has anyone worked there and been disatisfied?  Are there no work issues that mess with maintaining benefits? Just tapping on the walls before rebuilding. Thank you. ...

FOX Transcribe - Recent Info On This Company?
Feb 27, 2013

Any recent info on this company? I tried to take their test this morning but the links to the sample files are not working anymore.    ...

Deborah's Touch Or Medtranscription. Any Info On This Company? Sm
Jun 09, 2010

Goes by both company names.  Any help would be appreciated.  They are in Phoenix, Arizona.  Thank you. ...

Opti-Script Employees? Any Info On This Company?
Jul 26, 2010

Job posting on the job seeker's board.  Any info would be helpful.  Thanks! ...

Clear Choice Transcription - Info On This Company
Sep 07, 2010

Anyone have info on this company - how they are to work for.  Do you always remain on the accounts you are hired for??  Do they pay on time??  How is management to work with??  TIA ...

Monitors, There's No Company Info For Those SOAP Notes Ads
Feb 25, 2011

nm ...

Global Info Systems - Anyone Had Worked For This Company Before
Jun 02, 2013

Was wondering if anyone had worked for this company before.  They are based in Odessa, Texas I believe.  Any and all information is appreciated.  I'm new here to MT Stars.   Thanks! ...

SoftScript Current Employee Info About Company
Feb 23, 2014

Have read lots of negatives. My basic question is about whether there is enough work available and what the benefits are like especially health insurance. Am just really looking for some accurate current info. Thanks. ...

Calif Transcription Riverside, CA- Any Info On This Company? Are They Hiring? TIA
Dec 07, 2009

nm ...

Any Info On Breitner For EditScript Accounts, Company In General?
May 27, 2013

Get paid not so well for VR work on time with small PTO paid for part-time, but accounts have chunks of good work suddenly removed from the queue as I am working and older, undesirable work left for "me," and am very disappointed.  This is on 2 accounts and a different explanation for each, but the unifying factor is Breitner, who says they do not assign work.  Never had this problem in 30 years with other companies or accounts.  If there was another vendor or inhouse people, they ...