A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

The sky is falling Γ’€“ College closes Medical Transcription Program Γ’€“ MTSO cut out as - Food for Thought

Posted: Nov 05, 2010

The sky is falling !!!

Anyone else see this?  Is this an aberration or a portent of the direction Medical Transcription is heading? 

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

College ends medical transcription program

Recently Delhi University announced its Medical Transcription Program, for the first time, was producing better transcriptionists in India including South Asia.  In the meantime, San Juan College is closing its Medical Transcription Program stating that there is less room for advancement in the field.

Cited:  The Daily Times, Framington, New Mexico:

Date: September 19, 2010
Publication: Daily Times, The (Farmington, NM)

Fearing it may be preparing students for a diminishing profession, San Juan College will shut down its Medical Transcription Program at the end of the school year.

Many health care professionals anticipate computer programs will soon replace medical transcriptionists.

The School of Health Sciences will focus on modernizing the Coding and Health Information Technologies Degrees instead.  Students with those degrees are qualified for better paying jobs, said Oliver Borden, the Dean of the Health Sciences School.

"One of the reasons we're getting out of (Medical Transcription) is because there is less room for advancement" as Medical Transcriptionists, he said.  "We're choosing to focus on a major that has the brightest future."

The 30 students currently enrolled in the Medical Transcription Program have until the end of the school year to complete the two-semester program.

Medical Transcriptionists have an average salary of $24,000 to $30,000 dollars per year, and there are few opportunities for earning a raise in that field, Borden said.

On the other hand, students who graduate with a Health Information Technology Degree from the college are more versatile, and if they turn their Associate Degree into a Bachelor's Degree, and then a Master's Degree, their average salary would increase to $81,500, Borden said.

"It gives them a chance at life-long learning," he said.  "There are stepping stones that are available."

Hospitals and health care providers are switching to electronic medical records and a new coding system, Borden said.  The Bureau of Labor Statistics is predicting a 22-percent increase in jobs in the health care industry by 2018.  The college is reshaping the Health Sciences School so students can get those jobs, Borden said.

Several local health care providers said in recent years they have outsourced medical transcription services or begun using computer programs for the service.

"It's cheaper and a lot faster," said Tabitha Joyce, the office manager for High Desert Rheumatology.

A year ago, High Desert Rheumatology and Internal Medicine started outsourcing medical transcription services to Intivia, a New Jersey-based company that uses a computer program to make transcriptions within 48 hours.

San Juan College
4601 College Boulevard

Farmington, New Mexico    87402

http://www.sanjuancollege.edu/pages/3531.asp?item=175

September 28, 2010:  Intivia, Inc. Awarded Transcription Service Contract by Innovatix, LLC and Essensa.  Innovatix, LLC is a full-service group purchasing organization serving over 14,000 non-acute care facilities throughout the United States. 

MY QUESTION:  Is Intivia going to give MedQuist a run for its money?  Intivia has a U.S. Headquarters, but all work is done in India.  It appears that some medical facilities are bypassing the middlemen (MedQuist, Transcend) and going straight to India. 

Intivia

Year Founded:  2002

Team Size:  Intivia employs a strong team of over 400 qualified people within its network.  

Corporate Headquarters: 

Intivia, Inc.
Piscataway, NJ  08854

India Offices

Bangalore Office
Trivandrum Office
Vadodara Office

Link to the Article Above: 

http://medicaltranscriptionnepal.blogspot.com/2010/09/college-ends-medical-transcription.html

Link to some interesting information about recent events – acquisitions, new software: 

http://transcriptionprogram.net/arc/transcription-program-%7C-transcription-program-100310.php

San Juan must be the only honest school! And "little - room for advancement" is an understatement!

[ In Reply To ..]
$24-30K per year is a high estimate, these days. Try even FINDING a job!

"Cheaper and faster" is usually not in the slightest bit BETTER, either.

Here's a note from a provider unhappy - with current events

[ In Reply To ..]
just wanted you to know I REALLY miss you - already!!! There're misspelled words and corrections I have to do right and left on the voice recognition system.....sigh. (I knew it) And of course the computer doesn't get my run-on sentences very well either, need for weird pauses to think or correct my flawed English verbiage aso, nor do the poor editors, apparently. whew. You, my friend, are truly one of a kind among transcriptionists! I want to thank you ever so much for your excellent work the last few years - whatever they pay you, you deserve a pay raise!!

Wow, how refreshing - commendation/recognition - from a provider.

[ In Reply To ..]
I take it this is a dictation provider. If so, just as has been speculated, we are all victims of the mad push for all things technology without much concern for the people who actually have to use it and what kind of product it turns out.

This was nice to hear. Thanks!
The author of the commendation should send a carbon - copy to the CEO of his hospital.
[ In Reply To ..]
So should anyone else working there who is unhappy with the ASR mess. Then maybe they'll listen. Corners can be cut in other places than medical records/transcription. Like maybe the CEO's over-inflated salary.

fantastic note! - dls

[ In Reply To ..]
makes me feel warm and fussy (er fuzzy, although i am fussy, as well)! i remember several years ago when the hospital where i used to work was going to the emr, one of the docs asked if i could get with him on the sly to transcribe his dictations from his own handheld into the emr to save him time and *money*, as the providers were being forced to do their own documentation. i really wanted to - he was one of the best dictators i have encountered in my 18 yrs of transcription. i am pretty sure that there would be a tidy little business in that area, if not for HIPAA rules. remember the days when the docs could have their office chicks (not nurses or PAs) dictate because of time or because they were easier to understand? am i that old???
Quality - n/a
[ In Reply To ..]
I cannot believe the quality of reports hitting the hospital floors. I do not understand how JCAHO and AHCA let this type of documentation slide. I remember JCAHO just 4 years ago taking points away from Health Information Department for mistakes in reports. I wonder if this still happens or if they just let the VR reports slide???

Better transcriptionists - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
"...producing better transcriptionists in India including South Asia..."

Better than what?

FYI - my local community college closed its MT program years ago, not only because it wasn't a viable career option but also because the interest wasn't there, which translates into no income for the school. Also, there were no qualified instructors. Schools drop programs that don't make money, it's as simple as that. I think the article exaggerates things a bit but of course you had to post the most negative information you could find.

Well, people are scared and looking for answers. - But good for you for pointing out

[ In Reply To ..]
some obvious factors.

That college's statement IS not nearly as informative as it pretends to be. Most particularly, "less chance for advancement" as a reason for doing away with MT. Huh? This is a very narrow line of specialty work that has always had very little potential for advancement.

It's only sensible for people in a world of galloping change to train more broadly, anyway.

Back to School - TAA

[ In Reply To ..]
I went back to school about a year ago and I'm just a few quarters away from finishing an Associates Degree in HIM and going for my RHIT. Will leave the MT world when I'm done..It has been good to me but we are being replaced slowly but surely.

Similar Messages:

Patrick’s, Gaenslen’s And 'Somas’ Tests Were Negative.
Dec 16, 2013

I cannot find Somas' anywhere.  Anyone know this one? ...

Her Arms And Legs Are Likewise Very Thin And Almost S/l “kakesic”. Any Help Would Be
Sep 28, 2011

“exciting” News In The Link Today
May 15, 2014

Hasn’t anyone read their emails and seen the “exciting” news in the Link today??  “….new compensation structure to be simple to understand, transparent, competitive, to be effective around 10/1….”  Translate:Simple to understand = unable to be calculated by MT Transparent = we all make the same regardless of experience Competitive = MTSOs battle each other to pay the lowest rates Sounds like another pay cut is in the work ...

“vigorous Pinprick” To The Face?
Apr 04, 2013

Does “vigorous pinprick” to the face sound correct to you?  I’m imagining the doc stabbing needles into the patient's face. "Cranial Nerve V:  She reports no facial sensation other than in her forehead, though with vigorous (s/l pimpering), she does flinch but says she still does not feel it." ...

Toxiblay Confirmed As "‎etat Crible‎"
Mar 27, 2013

rad filled in word etat crible pronounced atociblay ...

What Happened To An Honest Day’s Work For An Honest Day’s Pay
Jul 29, 2010

It is amazing that more people are not committing suicide.  I guess that goes to the underlying optimism that human beings are inherently born with.   We always think there is good in all people and that we will be protected from evil.   But, what happened to an honest day’s work for an honest day’s pay?  Every day there are posts about people working hard for their paltry wages, only to be paid late or not paid at all.  We cannot even apply for a job ...

TRANSCRIPTION CHALLENGES IN A TECHNOLOGICAL NUTSHELL…
Aug 28, 2013

Transcription is becoming a lost art.  With the arrival of voice/speech recognition software, which captures sounds and “magically” turns them into words (albeit not always the correct ones), the specialty field of transcription has become an endangered livelihood.  Unfortunately, forgotten along the way are the skills and talents a good transcriptionist possesses to make a document accurate and easily readable.  The bottom line, as with most things, is the Almighty Do ...

Hau’oli Makahiki Hou
Dec 31, 2009

To all my MQ and MT Stars friends, may this year and this decade be better than the last.  May you and your families be richly blessed this new year. ...

Happy Mother’s Day To All.
May 08, 2011

With the transcription industry ever changing b___ s___ with paycuts, outsourcing, VR and big corporations taking over, being a mother is the most important job some of us have.  The only good benefits we have today as transcriptionists are we can be home with our children and we can avoid the gas guzzling drive to work.  So remember do not let the industry bring us down as we are mothers in this hard time for transcriptionists.  ...

At The End Of My Rope….
Aug 15, 2012

Just venting……..I am so bummed.  I was doing so well a couple of years ago.  I was working as a Radiology Transcriptionist for six years for a very, very large radiology facility, two days in the office and the rest of the week from home in the evenings.  Then they went to VR, but kept me on because the some of the docs were not complying with VR so those reports had to be typed and in addition I was doing editing.  I was making good money and was able to put aw ...

.03¢ A Line VR Editing
Sep 29, 2010

Was just trying for a job with a company, sent my resume, asked me what hours I was looking for, how much experience I had and then dropped the bomb that they only pay 3¢ a line for VR editing.  Is there anyone out there making a decent wage doing editing for so little?  ...

The Possibility Of Alzheimer’s *lumes*. Thanks. Nm
Jun 14, 2011

nm ...

RE: Yes The Archives Are Chalk… And
Apr 25, 2012

"…  you suggest we dont go to work and what?????" Yes, don't go to work!  You must answer the "… and what?????" part of the question you ask.  I have made multiple posts with multiple suggestions on what each individual can do.  Those actions can include your suggestion of "lay on my couch?"  if you so desire, although that will not be as effective as say participating in your local May 1st activities.  See this link for more info on th ...

Regarding: • Re: INSCRIBE - BooBear
Feb 20, 2013

I can't post a public reply on that thread.  The only option is "reply by email." Is it just me or is that normal for the company board?  I don't want to send an email.  What is up?  ...

Looking For Peace And Way To Pay Rent … HELP ME PLEASE:)
Jul 30, 2013

Hey out there!! I know, I know, asked and answered many times, BUT, does ANYONE know of a great co.with straight typing, where headers count, where a person can make a great line count like they used to? Does anyone want to earn a sign on bonus?? (That is of course if your co. offers one.) Does such a place exist?? Come in MT sisters, help a gal outΓ°Ÿ˜ I would love to pay my rent and have more than $10 to spread out for 2 weeksΓ°Ÿ˜Β° Thanks for your help!!! ...

FIESA – Miniature Writeups.
Jun 30, 2014

After reading responses to a post I made last week, and then the many posts about FIESA over the weekend, a thought occurred to me.  Basically, FIESA is like they're giving us a "write up," or a warning, and that each time we sign our initials, we are signing that writeup.  Not that they need or require a reason to let most of us go, but this is a perfect way to protect themselves.  They won't allow us to write comments in those boxes.  We get reprimanded if we do. ...

Does Rasmussen College Have A Good Reputation In The Medical Transcription Job World???
Mar 07, 2010

Hi everyone, I just graduated from Rasmussen online college with a 2 year degree in medical transcription back in September. I was able to land a brief 2 month job in November but the lady that hired me wasn't a patient trainer and let me go because I wasn't perfect right away and she was very busy as well, backed up in fact. My question is, does Rasmussen College have a good reputation in the medical transcription world? ...

Poll Time, Either Straight Or VR, Could You Lose Your Job If You Don’t
Oct 14, 2009

I just heard yesterday where 1 place is saying you have to do at least 4000 lines per day in VR in order to work for them. Are other places saying the same, how about where you work? ...

*Ian’s* Canal Lesion On The Right Or Ulnar Neuropathy On The Right. Thanks. Nm
Jan 17, 2010

nm ...

One More Time For Transcend – Then Maybe We Can Let Them Rest In Peace
May 10, 2010

For all you Transcend haters – more fuel for the flames. This is PUBLIC record – nothing confidential here.  No need to comment on the validity – this is straight from the Court records.  By the way, they are in talks and have hopes to acquire 1 or 2 more companies THIS YEAR.  Is your company going to be one of them?  No one is safe!!!   LET THE RANTINGS BEGIN ENJOY !!!!!  Plaintiff TRS Institute, LLC, complaining of Defendant Transcend S ...

No Company Name, Anyone Know Who The QA Position Is For On The Job Seeker’s Board
Dec 09, 2010

How come all the questionable job openings all happen about the same time? Anyone know what company the QA Recruiter is working for?  There is no company name listed and there is absolutely nothing on Google for that Email address.   ...

There Was *Kontinuka’s* Neck Without Radicular Syndrome. Nm Thanks
Oct 11, 2011

nm ...

He Can Squat Fully, He Does Use A Little *gala’s* Maneuver?? Thanks. Nm
Nov 09, 2011

nm ...

Just Started On M*Modal. Can't Imagine…sm
Nov 10, 2011

I can't seem to get used to this platform.  I can't imagine how I'm going to make my daily line requirement, let alone ever get very fast on it.  Any tips from the experienced users of M*Modal?  ...

I Knew It Would Happen To Me Sooner Or Later…
Feb 01, 2012

I just need to vent…. I’ve been working part time as an IC for a hospital in the Midwest for about 10 months now. They actually found my resume online and contacted me.   I was already working 2 other part time jobs which really took up a lot of my time, but of course, not much money involved, so I decided to take it.    I did all the training and caught on very quickly.  In the beginning, I was able to work whenever I wanted since work was plentiful. ...

Wegener’s Disease - Patient Will Get Repeat S/l EN/GOB ??
Feb 10, 2012

Patient will get repeat NGOB or ang/gob ?? I am wondering if this is some sort of abbreviation for a test of some sort to follow the Wegener's.  Thanks! ...

Watching Undercover Boss…
May 20, 2014

… something like that to happen to MTs (yeah, I know it will never happen, but I can dream can't I)! ...

Are Unenthusiastic Workers Hurting Your Business’s Bottom Line?
Jun 24, 2013

By Sarah Halzack,  Updated: Monday, June 24, 9:15 AM If employees don’t like their boss or aren’t stimulated by their work, can that lack of enthusiasm weigh on a company’s bottom line? That was the question that Gallup set out to answer in a new study that compared workers by categorizing them in to three groups: “engaged” workers, those who are passionate about and committed to their work; “not engaged,” those who are coasting; and &ld ...

Today’s Study Is Done To Exclude Polymorphic S/l *cata-colon-anurgic* Ventricular Tachycardi
Mar 14, 2010

SM ...

SUM Program Beginning Medical Transcription
Jun 04, 2014

Hi all, I am new here, this is my first post.  I am currently taking online classes to become an MT.  I've just finished all the medical background training classes and the BOS.  I've just gotten the SUM program for Beginning Medical Transcription today along with my foot control.  I have to say that I am pretty nervous to be actually starting the transcribing part.  Has anyone else used this particular program in training?  Any helpful advice? Thanks he ...