A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

HIPAA - MTs being fired for sending wrong carbon copies - Paranoid MT

Posted: May 03, 2010

First of all, let me just say to the people who have already been fired for MISTAKENLY sending the wrong CC I am truly sorry to hear this Frown

My question is, is this a case of SEVERE OVERACTION by the MTSOs or is this the case now according to HIPAA?

So are they saying that because a non-treating MD received a report and everyone in the office, wherever, "SAW" that report that it breaks the Privacy Rule and thus a breach?

So there is no need for a warning to the MT who did that but just grounds for termination immediately?

I'm truly asking these questions. 

The way I see it... garbage in, garbage out... - CrankyBeach

[ In Reply To ..]
... and 'perfect' is not in my job description. Not to mention, waaaaay above my pay grade.

For the 3 or 4 of you who haven't noticed, I work for Transcend, one of the big nationals. I worked for TRS before, and then there was a merger.

What we were told at TRS, and we have NOT been told different now that we're Transcend, is to never, EVER guess on ANYTHING, be it a word, a name... or a carbon copy. If the dictator says cc to Dr. Smith, then by golly we type "Dr. Smith" in the cc field and kick it upstairs. It is not up to us to try and figure out which Dr. Smith the dictator means, as we do not have enough information to figure that out.

The important point is that when we work remotely, for a national, we, the MTs in the trenches, are NOT the ones physically printing/faxing/mailing/e-mailing the carbon copies to the designated entities; thus we cannot possibly be held responsible if it goes to the wrong place.

And even if we blatantly typed cc to Dr. Jones when the dictator clearly said cc to Dr. Smith... yes, our employer most certainly should take some corrective action; but for cryin' out loud, the people at the client's end need to exercise some due diligence as well! For example... if the patient is a male and the Dr. Jones we mistakenly said to send a copy to happens to be a gynecologist, anybody with half a brain should catch this. (Oh. Excuse me. I am expecting too much of people. Sorry. My bad.)

And even if we very carefully type what the dictator says, i.e. that's Dr. Jon without an H Smith who practices internal medicine at Smithjones Family Practice at 123 Main Street, Anytown... we still have NO control over the fact that some moron in the file room sticks Dr. Smith's copy into a mailing envelope that happens to be addressed to Dr. Skunk on Swamp Avenue. Or punches in the wrong fax number, and it goes to Dave's Tire Shop instead of Dr. Smith's office.

Even during my long career working locally, except during the times when I was pinch-hitting in the file room, I was not the one physically sending out the copies; and even when I was, I had no way of ensuring that even if it was properly marked and addressed, the post office or the courier would get it into the right hands. I've been on the other end of this as well; I cannot tell you how many pieces of mail I opened that were mis-delivered to our office... and whoa Nellie, I saw that somebody named so-and-so, who could have been my neighbor, or my neighbor's cousin, or anybody at all, was a patient of Dr. Flybynight over on the next street.... Of course, I still considered that to be confidential information, even though I wasn't supposed to have seen it, and I treated it with the same care as I treated information on our own patients. (I also promptly re-addressed it to the correct entity and sent it on, with a little note saying it had been delivered to our office by mistake.)

There just seems to be a dearth of common sense permeating so many sectors of our society; not just our own industry. In too many ways, people are being blamed for things they didn't do, and others are NOT being held responsible for things they DID do. But that's another discussion altogether....

Apologies for the great glob of text.... - CrankyBeach

[ In Reply To ..]
There WERE paragraph marks inserted in there when I typed it! Blame this one on the computer!

you should be writing for a living, not just MTing.... - me

[ In Reply To ..]
Why, thank yew :) - CrankyBeach
[ In Reply To ..]
I am actually an aspiring writer of fiction, and if I ever do get published you can be sure I will be tooting my horn all over the net about it! :)

Sending Wrong Carbon Copies - Silly Rabbit

[ In Reply To ..]
They have got to be kidding and these records are processed all over the world. The following notes a grevious security breach. It had nothing to do with sending the cc to the wrong Dr. Smith located on Main Street, New York.

http://www.ashevilletribune.com/archives/Laden-medical%20.html

The problem is - me

[ In Reply To ..]
is that the new laws stipulate that ANY breach of confidentiality MUST be reported to the patient. So Cranky, in your case, that patient whose information you got from the wrong clinic, you would be required by law to inform that patient that you (the unintended reciepent) saw their medical records. That is why the MTSOs are being so uptight about it. When I worked in hospital we basically were held to the same standards, if we breached confidentiality, even once by accident, we were subject to termination (one of my leads was fired because of this).

The MT, if she just puts "Dr. Smith" and 'sends it upstairs' should NOT be held liable if it is sent to the wrong Dr. Smith. No copies should be sent out in that case until the dictating physician or recieving physican specifically clarifies WHICH Dr. Smith it's supposed to go to.

I would have had NO way of notifying a patient of another doctor - CrankyBeach

[ In Reply To ..]
that I had mistakenly seen something pertaining to them, because of mis-directed mail, because unless that person was also OUR patient, I did not have their contact information!

And can you just imagine the can of worms it would open if I went to the phone book.
"Is this Mrs. Jane Smith?"
"Yes."
"This is Cranky at Dr. Snerd's office, and I am by law informing you of a privacy violation that I have perpetrated on you."
"But I don't go to Dr. Snerd."
"I know. We got a piece of mail from Blue F. Cross that was supposed to go to Dr. Snake."
"But I don't go to Dr. Snake either."

You see... there are 17 Mrs. Jane Smiths in the phone book, and I called the wrong one. Oops.

A perfect, albeit fictional, example of the law of unintended consequences....

Exactly - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I totally agree with you that it is totally overkill. I personally don't give a hoot if another doctor's office accidentally gets my information. I would assume most would be like you and send it on to the correct person, or at the very least trash it. I personally think it should be rewritten so that if the patient information leaves physician offices or hospitals (ie, a laptop is stolen with my information on it), then it should be reported.

love it! - ; )

[ In Reply To ..]
lol

I could be wrong, but - to my understanding...

[ In Reply To ..]
the conditions under which you are compelled to inform the patient involve wholesale breaches in patient data such that the pt's identity and medical record was made "public" (i.e., no longer private). This is different from a breach of confidentiality.

If a cc is sent to the wrong doc, that doc is still a compliant entity. This does not constitute a data breach.

I'm not sure - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
The full text of the new law is here
http://www.ama-assn.org/ama1/pub/upload/mm/399/hipaa-breach-notification-rule.pdf

I THINK you may be right.. but I'm not sure. It may only be for employees or others under the intended doctor's office that are okay to see it.

Someone who has more attention to the details, please read it and translate... I'm a little burned out tonight

WRONG WRONG WRONG! YOU do not notify - ANYONE about ANYTHING!!

[ In Reply To ..]
Notifications - IF they are required (and that question is not a simple one) - are handled by the covered entity's privacy officer or other designee.

NOT YOU, or any other person!!

YES you do - You notify your compliance officer

[ In Reply To ..]
You have to notify your compliance officer of the violation.
That is NOT what the "notification" provisions refer to. - (SM)
[ In Reply To ..]
Let's put aside for the moment the fact that you aren't likely to know about a violation, or why did you permit it to happen in the first place?!

I wish people who haven't studied HIPAA as well as the HITECH provisions of the ARA formally AND thoroughly wouldn't comment on these matters on public forums. The notification provisions (of the law) ONLY spell out how, when and why PATIENTS must be notified of an unauthorized disclosure - and that has nothing whatsoever to do with YOU as a medical transcriptionist. The post that I made was in DIRECT RESPONSE to someone who was saying that THEY were supposed to notify the patient.

I repeat - WRONG, WRONG, WRONG.
That is not what I inteded - me
[ In Reply To ..]
I only meant that the patient needed to be notified, not necessarily by the MT. It would depend on who the responsible person is, a supervisor, a complaince officer, a VP at a company, one way or another the patient would need to be notified if a breech occured under the new law.

My thoughts - Redpen

[ In Reply To ..]
It's just an opinion, but my thinking is that any facility which sends out copies based on a physician's dictated request is asking for trouble.

That's a very, very unsafe practice.

If the physician wants to send copies, let him take HIS copy to HIS office and HE can fax it all over.

The facility at which the dictation is done should not be doing this. Half the time you can't tell what doctors they want to have copies, and the rest of the time they can't remember, either. So, the facility is blindly faxing. I'm sure they're not confirming the fax number every time they fax, either.

We do not allow doctors to have copies faxed to themselves or anyone else. Any time we do fax patient information, we confirm the number with a test page, ensure that someone is standing there waiting for the fax, and then we send the real fax.

Very good point, Redpen... - CrankyBeach

[ In Reply To ..]
... and your suggestion would remove the possible screw-ups one step even further away from the MT.

Again... there is NO FREAKING WAY the MT can be held responsible... unless he or she is the one physically sending the copies out--and even then, once it's out of his/her hands, if it does not reach the proper destination, it's not his/her fault!

Best way to handle copies - properly (sm)

[ In Reply To ..]
That "clerical" problems with copies should exist in these times is simply ridiculous. After all, we're asking a very simple question: "Should this person receive a copy of this patient's report?" - and the solution is equally simple.

1. Each patient should have an authorized distribution list, which would normally include their treating physicians, but in some cases there might be others (such as a guardian ad litem, POAHC, etc.). An electronic copy would then be transmitted ONLY if the recipient is on the list. The information required for distribution such as fax number, email address, etc. would come from that list, not from the report, and would have already been confirmed.

It would be child's play for software to check the requested copies against th distribution list and release those that meet the criteria.

2. If a copy is requested to anyone who is NOT on the patient's distribution list, it would be kicked out into an "exception" pool and dealt with manually according to appropriate protocols.

Great idea! - MTPockets

[ In Reply To ..]
I like that! and like you said, it would be easy enough to implement. Good thinking :-)

Similar Messages:

Carbon Copies
Nov 13, 2009

Company giving written warnings and termination for error in carbon copies.  What's going on at other companies for carbon copy requests errors? ...

Fired For Input Of Single Wrong Digit.
Oct 11, 2012

The system I worked on required me to input the identity of the dictating physician as a number, not a name. I missed a digit, inputting a 6 instead of a 9 as one of the 3 digits. This caused the report [an operative report, in the body of which the dictator/surgeon's name is spelled out] to be sent to the wrong physician for signature. I am told I am now in violation of HIPAA and I am fired from the account. Since it is my only account, I am fired, period. Ah well. ...

HIPAA - Need A Quick Check On HIPAA Rules
Oct 29, 2009

Hi, I need a quick check on HIPAA rules.  With respect to the health care debate, I want to write to my senator, etc., about a situation with a patient I transcribed on.  The only info. I intend to give is that the patient was a:  Russian immigrant, on welfare and receiving Medicaid benefits--when he should not have.  He and his "sponsor(s)" was responsible for his care and living expenses.  Further, I transcribed a note in which the doctor said that this patient wanted to re-sched ...

Hard Copies
Feb 17, 2010

This may be an obvious question to most, but how do I print a hard copy of a document I recently completed on EditScript?  Or can I?  I'd like to keep a copy of what "I edited/typed myself" before the QA reviews it, so that I can see my errors and learn from them, or have something to back me up if I disagree.  Can someone provide me with an answer. please  I know I can print them AFTER they have been reviewed by QA, but I want it before hand with my errors.....shou ...

Radiology Copies
Feb 25, 2010

When typing a radiology report, do you send the results/report of a radiology exam to just the ordering provider or the ordering and the family provider?  I am trying to find out if there is an industry standard.  The hospital I work for is looking at discontinuing sending the family provider a copy.  Thank you! ...

Rules Regarding Copies
Oct 03, 2011

I had always thought that the dictator received an automatic copy but in checking the MQ rules/standards, I don't see this.   Does anyone know for sure?  Should we copy the dictator if requested?  ...

You All Are Keeping Copies Of Everything Right?
Sep 11, 2013

Keep everything, I would love to know if the TSMs are sending out generic explanations of the new policies that are given to them by the company or if they are their own interpretations. It just doesn't make sense to me that I am supposed to be availabe around the clock for when there is work. I also don't understand how they FORCED me to take a shift and now are threatening to change my shift to when work is available. Something stinks and we need to stand together on this or we wi ...

Anyone Heard Of Cytomegalovirus, 365,000 Copies???
Jan 23, 2010

It is the 365,000 copies that I have never heard of... has anyone else and if so, do you know what that means?  Thanks ...

Do Banks Keep Copies Of All Checks
Feb 03, 2012

Does anybody know if banks keep copies of all checks cashed. Self employed but need a copy of a check that was cashed. ...

Keeping Copies Of Emails
Sep 19, 2012

Does anyone know how to forward emails from Nuance's company email program to your personal email for documentation??  I've tried to forward them to mine and it refuses to recognize my personal email and address and won't forward them.  It's obvious I need to keep track of them and I'm afraid if something happens I will be blocked from the company email.  TIA ...

Hepatitis C Viral Load 6 X 10 To The 6th Copies?
Jun 04, 2013

Is that correct?  He says Hepatitis C.  Most recent viral load was 6 x 10 to the 6th copies. ...

Is It Me Or ? Anything I Am Sending To QA Is Being
Dec 09, 2014

Is this something new? ...

Any MDI MTs Not Sending Their Paperwork In?
Nov 28, 2009

Just curious:  Any MDI MTs not feeling like jumping through the hoops, printing out the paperwork for Transcend on THEIR deadline even though we don't become official employees until Feb 1?  Anybody going to just quit and save yourself the hassle?  Doesn't seem quite fair to want MDI MTs to just say "how high"  when they say "jump" does it?  I'm just put out at how we've been treated.  Yeah, it's business, and that usually means it is okay t ...

SENDING BLANKS THROUGH
Mar 04, 2010

I'm just sayin....as a radiology MT in this company for 14 years...we have always sent radiology reports straight through to the docs to review and sign (because of turnaround time)....never knew they did QA until I got new accounts 2 years ago....and have had some pretty bad foreigners.  I believe it is docs job to go over his reports anyway...he is legally responsible.. ...

Question About Sending To QA
Mar 06, 2010

Just wondering about the sending of blanks.  I had a few blanks due to inaudible dictation.  I know QA wouldn't be able to get it either, but when I uploaded the job the QA box was checked and I tried to uncheck it and it wouldn't let me.  So, how do you just send it straight to the client and not to QA? ...

Who In Their Right Mind Will Be Sending Anything To QA?
Mar 19, 2010

Are they kidding?  Who is going to be sending ANYTHING to QA and take a chance of having their pay cut? Especially if it's the beginning of the work week! Yes, the clients will be getting blanks and I know they will be complaining.  The Q keeps sending us e-mails telling us to cut down on QA submissions. Are they kidding? No amount of "tips" will help if the dictator mumbles, sneezes, is ESL, etc. Don't they think we know all the "tricks" already? Besides that, we can't ...

Sending Jobs To QA..
May 22, 2010

I feel that I flag a lot and send to QA a lot.  I've been at this for about a year, do acute care, lots of ESL etc so I think it's a reasonably difficult account; but I ask myself do really experienced MTs, e.g. those at this for 5 years or 10 years or more, send so many jobs over to QA?  I mean, do you get to the point where you can pretty much understand everything these guys are saying, even when they're chewing, slurring, belching etc.?  I would love to make it ...

MQ Sending More To India
Nov 20, 2010

My husband is in the stock market and has been checking up and reading things about MedQuist.   MedQuist is now in a transition of sending more to India than ever before.  According to the CEO and COO, they are looking to increase their volume of 15% of MQ total work to 45% in the next 6 months.  The purchase of Spheris was a smokescreen.  The contract with Spheris was that they could come in and set up shop with their own people and move the MQ folks out.  Which is ...

TTD NOT SENDING 1099s
Feb 08, 2013

Has anyone out there gotten a 1099 from TTD?  I assume not, but I only saw one post below with 1 response.  Has anyone reported her to the IRS criminal division yet?  This is just plain sickening. ...

Sending A Letter To
Aug 19, 2013

Idea to contact CNN and see if we could get the attention of Dr Sanjay Gupta to do an investigative piece on offshoring. After all, this is his country, and it might interest him for many reasons. We'll see if we can get some attention, and maybe you guys can also send in requests at this link. http://www.cnn.com/feedback/show/?s=storyidea Found this on a website. ...

What A Mess They Are Sending!
Aug 27, 2013

Okay.  Finished report that original MT was in India.  Went to 2 different QA editors, nothing corrected.  Came to me.  I made over 50 corrections.  If this is any indication of their work, our jobs are safe.  Ridiculous and diiscouraging at the same time. ...

Thanks Transcend For Selectively Sending Out
Dec 27, 2009

gift cards.  It's nice to see that people who have been fired or quit received them, but some of us who slave day after day for you were forgotten.  Great quality control!  ...

Anyone Sending Questions To Corporate?
Mar 02, 2010

I want to send questions to TM although the email stated to send them to ccm.  I have tons of questions.  this is not fair at all.  we cannot help poor audio, hemming and hawing by the dictator, dictators who cannot dictate......who the heck is running this show, lucy and ethel??? bunch of creeps. ...

Sending Back Equipment???
Mar 11, 2010

I am working on sending back my equipment for MQ and just got the mailing slips in the mail today.  The sheet that comes along with it tells me I'm not required to send back the foot pedal, speaker, keyboard or mouse.  This makes no sense to me.....anyone been here before??  Did you just send everything back regardless??  Please help. ...

Need Clarification On Rules For Sending Cc's.. Sm
May 11, 2010

Okay, I got a ding today from my extremely sweet and helpful QATL.  It seems I did not send as a cc a requesting physician dictated.  I looked at the report and I did enter the requesting physician in the ADT and the body of the report.  I thought if they did not specifically request a cc be sent, then you did not.   Am I wrong?   Old dog needs help.  Also, I thought if the Req Physician was in the ADT it automatically received a carbon copy..  Hmmm.. ...

Getting Docked For Sending Work To QA :(
May 31, 2010

Why should we be docked for sending work to QA especially when there is an issue with poor audio quality, having a job that is incomplete or simply not being able to find the correct address even after we have spent time doing the propper research. This is as ludicrous as it would be if the phone company decided to charge us extra to call 911. ...

CBAY SENDING MORE THAN EVER TO INDIA
Jul 15, 2010

http://ahdilounge.blogspot.com/2010/04/medical-transcription-heavyweight-cbay.html   CBAY SENDING MORE THAN EVER TO INDIA ...

Sending Work To India
Aug 16, 2010

Maybe I haven't done a thorough search.  I see a lot of posts about offshoring to India.  Not all of the work goes there.  AFAIK, the Philippines is quite a hot spot. India, Philippines--what the heck.  How's that global economy working for ya? ...

Help Me Please....FTP Site File Sending???
Sep 08, 2010

Hi, Can anyone tell me how to send completed typed files via a FTP site?  I was asked to test for a company through an FTP site that they sent me the link to so I could transcribe 2 files.  They said I could send the completed test back via the FTP site but I don't know what to do.  I did look it up on Google but am still lost! ...

Sending X-mas Cards To Accounts
Dec 16, 2010

Does anyone send Christmas cards to their accounts?  I work as an IC for an MTSO and this is the second year now that I have received a fruit basket from one of my long-term accounts.  I get nothing from my MTSO, however.  Last year I sent them a thank you card and maybe a Christmas card as well, but I can't remember.  Anyways, I was thinking of sending them a X-mas card with a thank you note in it for the fruit basket.  Thoughts?  Anybody else get x-mas gifts ...