A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Sending jobs to QA.. - New and feeling like a dumdum

Posted: May 22, 2010

I feel that I flag a lot and send to QA a lot.  I've been at this for about a year, do acute care, lots of ESL etc so I think it's a reasonably difficult account; but I ask myself do really experienced MTs, e.g. those at this for 5 years or 10 years or more, send so many jobs over to QA?  I mean, do you get to the point where you can pretty much understand everything these guys are saying, even when they're chewing, slurring, belching etc.?  I would love to make it through a couple of days straight without flagging anything.  (I occasionally make it through 1 shift without doing so). 

It takes a lot more time than just a year to get - where you are describing. sm

[ In Reply To ..]
But yes, after a good deal of exposure you should be able to. It will depend on how much you actually learn from the job versus just simply transcribe.

If you are not looking up the information and truly learning it, you'll not really improve.

Just be patient.

experience - tata

[ In Reply To ..]
Just be lucky you have a job...I just graduated and can not get hired...

can't get hired - Livewire

[ In Reply To ..]
tata--try Focus Infomatics. I heard they hire newbies. Good luck :)
Can't get hired - tata
[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you. I did try there, sent them my resume and they sent me back an email telling me to try again when I get 1 year experience. This is sooo frustrating. I'm probably going to go back to what I used to do. Hate that I wasted a year in college and all the money for this.
My school just posted openings with 3 different companies - River
[ In Reply To ..]
There are jobs out there for new MTs. Don't give up. We keep getting more announcements for openings, asking for graduates of that particular school. Your school probably has the same thing on your forums. Check with your school and get some help from them.
Livewire - Mississippi
[ In Reply To ..]
Don't go with Focus Infomatics. They offshore to India. Don't contribute to the loss of jobs for American workers!
tata - Livewire
[ In Reply To ..]
Did you send them an email asking them how the **** do I get experience if nobody will hire me??? This is a bad business to get into anyway. Transcription has and keeps going down hill. I am desperately trying to get out of the business. There is also another post on here that says Rider and Associates hire newbies but I don't know if that is true or anything about them. Obviously I didn't know the facts about Focus. Anyway I wish you luck :)
Can't get hired? - Ell
[ In Reply To ..]
I tried Focus in November, and they did not hire first timers. I got in with Lartech; first as an unpaid intern and they hired me on about 3 months later (but I was part-time). If you can get past your first check being 3 months out, they really are a great company to work for. There are letters, HPI, Discharge, consults, etc.

Yep...sm - Kate

[ In Reply To ..]
been at it for almost 5 years and I still send a few blanks to QA. Even the 20-year pros have to do it at times. I usually only have a few blanks with a very hard doc but sometimes even QA has to send it to a higher level and then it still goes to the client with a blank. Just the way it goes. :)

To new and feeling like a dumdum - Nick

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been at this many years and sometimes have to send blanks through. I always research as extensively as I can before doing so, but sometimes you get an ESL who can't speak anything even approximating the English language, or you have a rerecorded account with technical problems. There is an old saying in the IT world that I think applies here: GIGO: Garbage in, garbage out. I think it is the duty of the MT to do as much as he/she can to get the information to fill in the blank, but we can only work with what we are given to work with. The dictators have an equal obligation to provide understandable dictation. Don't beat yourself up. We ALL send blanks once in a while.

I think blanks are probably part of life - sm - sssdt

[ In Reply To ..]
I've only been working about 7 months, my doctors are quite clear and not ESL, and I still sometimes have blanks. Drives me batty because I think I SHOULD be able to get it, but docs say the wrong thing sometimes and we can't always figure it out.

Ditto to what the others have said - CrankyOldBroadOnTheBeach

[ In Reply To ..]
I've been at this for 38 years... and it's a rare day that at least one thing doesn't go to QA. Sometimes it's a discrepancy of some sort... but other times, it is a blank, fair and square. And I don't keep any statistics (it would take far too much time to do so) but I would estimate that at least 75 percent of the time, QA can't get it either, so it goes to the client with a blank. Garbage in, garbage out!

Often, it's a word that the dictator so badly mis-pronounces that it isn't safe to make an educated guess. In fact, we basically are not allowed to guess at all, unless it's REALLY obvious, such as 'he' substituted for 'she' when we are completely certain of the patient's gender. Those, we ARE allowed to fix. But the no-guessing rule is really for OUR protection, because if there's any question, guess who will thrown under the bus. (Hint: It isn't the dictator.)

Other times, it's the usual suspects, i.e. chewing, burping, hiccuping, a telephone ringing right next to the microphone that drowns out the dictation, a dictator who's trying to be quiet in a crowd (when they should be telling the crowd to shut up, or finding a quieter place to dictate!), and of course the occasional technical sound file glitches. We are instructed to use our best professional judgment about which things we send to QA and which things we blank ourselves. If we think a fresh pair of ears might be able to understand it, it goes to QA. If nothing short of mind-reading (which of course is way above our pay grade) will get it, we do not waste the QA team's time and it goes straight to the client with the blank in it.

So don't feel bad about having to send things to QA. Do, however, check back (if you can) and see what QA got out of your problem spots, and if they deciphered it, save that as a sample for future reference. And if QA doesn't get it either, do like I do--which is to say to myself, see? I'm not a dummy after all!

And even after 38 years... sometimes I DO feel like a dummy. Still. I have those smack-self-on-forehead "Duh" moments, when I apparently had a momentary brain f**t. Thankfully, it doesn't happen very often, anymore, but it DOES happen. Even to us old folks. :)

(And thankfully our QA team does NOT get snarky when we occasionally missing the obvious. That would be very, VERY hard to take....)

Thanks, you're very kind - New and feeling like a dumdum

[ In Reply To ..]
I do check my QA'd reports and occasionally the blank is unresolvable; though I think I'm obviously still working on that elusive "listening ear" we heard so much about in the course. Definitely after a year on a tough account I'm getting better at it. As far as the newbies looking for jobs and frustrated about everyone looking for experience, there are definitely companies that hire newbies out there. I don't know if names are okay to mention, but I believe that Inscribe hires newbies, and dare I say it, MedQuist. There are loads of companies out there, just try not to be too discouraged and keep testing. I did, and I got hired.

Companies that hire newbies - Nick

[ In Reply To ..]
I would never recommend MedQuist to anybody for any reason.

Similar Messages:

Anyone Having Problems With Jobs Sending
Jul 10, 2012

DEP light is green.  Hope it is just me and not the whole system again. ...

Question On Sending Jobs To QA
Feb 18, 2015

When you send a job to QA for no ADT or wrong ADT, does that count against your percentage the same as sending jobs with blanks would?  I do not want to ask my TSM because I hardly ever receive any reply for anything and I am sick of it! ...

Problems Sending Information For Jobs
Aug 30, 2010

Has anyone had any problems with trying to reply to job postings on here by using the reply feature at the bottom of the ad and copy & pasting your resume?  I just tried with 2 different jobs on here and they were both sent back to me saying they had fatal errors & could not be sent??  Any ideas?? ...

Petition To Stop Sending Our Jobs Off Shore
Nov 19, 2012

There is a petition here http://wh.gov/XbqE about stopping off-shoring jobs. I saw it on facebook, and it would apply to MT, I think. They need 150 signatures for it to be put on the White House website. If our jobs were back here and not sent to other countries, maybe we could finally work and get paid enough to survive - kind of like in the "good old days." ...

Just Another Vent About Jobs, No Jobs, Requirement Of Jobs, Etc.
Aug 18, 2010

It is insulting to all of us with the way that MT pay has gone down the drain, it is frustrating and aggravating to look for a "decent" job these days, trying to work out which companies will treat you fairly, which ones lie about their platforms, work, etc., and not only do these companies not want to pay us what we are worth but now I see that MANY companies are requiring the MT to have or "be willing" to purchase hundreds of dollars worth of equipment.  If an employer can PROMISE IN ...

Is It Me Or ? Anything I Am Sending To QA Is Being
Dec 09, 2014

Is this something new? ...

Any MDI MTs Not Sending Their Paperwork In?
Nov 28, 2009

Just curious:  Any MDI MTs not feeling like jumping through the hoops, printing out the paperwork for Transcend on THEIR deadline even though we don't become official employees until Feb 1?  Anybody going to just quit and save yourself the hassle?  Doesn't seem quite fair to want MDI MTs to just say "how high"  when they say "jump" does it?  I'm just put out at how we've been treated.  Yeah, it's business, and that usually means it is okay t ...

SENDING BLANKS THROUGH
Mar 04, 2010

I'm just sayin....as a radiology MT in this company for 14 years...we have always sent radiology reports straight through to the docs to review and sign (because of turnaround time)....never knew they did QA until I got new accounts 2 years ago....and have had some pretty bad foreigners.  I believe it is docs job to go over his reports anyway...he is legally responsible.. ...

Question About Sending To QA
Mar 06, 2010

Just wondering about the sending of blanks.  I had a few blanks due to inaudible dictation.  I know QA wouldn't be able to get it either, but when I uploaded the job the QA box was checked and I tried to uncheck it and it wouldn't let me.  So, how do you just send it straight to the client and not to QA? ...

Who In Their Right Mind Will Be Sending Anything To QA?
Mar 19, 2010

Are they kidding?  Who is going to be sending ANYTHING to QA and take a chance of having their pay cut? Especially if it's the beginning of the work week! Yes, the clients will be getting blanks and I know they will be complaining.  The Q keeps sending us e-mails telling us to cut down on QA submissions. Are they kidding? No amount of "tips" will help if the dictator mumbles, sneezes, is ESL, etc. Don't they think we know all the "tricks" already? Besides that, we can't ...

MQ Sending More To India
Nov 20, 2010

My husband is in the stock market and has been checking up and reading things about MedQuist.   MedQuist is now in a transition of sending more to India than ever before.  According to the CEO and COO, they are looking to increase their volume of 15% of MQ total work to 45% in the next 6 months.  The purchase of Spheris was a smokescreen.  The contract with Spheris was that they could come in and set up shop with their own people and move the MQ folks out.  Which is ...

TTD NOT SENDING 1099s
Feb 08, 2013

Has anyone out there gotten a 1099 from TTD?  I assume not, but I only saw one post below with 1 response.  Has anyone reported her to the IRS criminal division yet?  This is just plain sickening. ...

Sending A Letter To
Aug 19, 2013

Idea to contact CNN and see if we could get the attention of Dr Sanjay Gupta to do an investigative piece on offshoring. After all, this is his country, and it might interest him for many reasons. We'll see if we can get some attention, and maybe you guys can also send in requests at this link. http://www.cnn.com/feedback/show/?s=storyidea Found this on a website. ...

What A Mess They Are Sending!
Aug 27, 2013

Okay.  Finished report that original MT was in India.  Went to 2 different QA editors, nothing corrected.  Came to me.  I made over 50 corrections.  If this is any indication of their work, our jobs are safe.  Ridiculous and diiscouraging at the same time. ...

Medical Jobs Online Posting On Jobs Board
Dec 09, 2013

Kind of wondering if this last job posting on the jobs board might be associated with one of those "you pay us to find you a job" type of organization.  I googled Medical Jobs Online and found nothing stating that are a legitimate MTSO :( ...

Thanks Transcend For Selectively Sending Out
Dec 27, 2009

gift cards.  It's nice to see that people who have been fired or quit received them, but some of us who slave day after day for you were forgotten.  Great quality control!  ...

Anyone Sending Questions To Corporate?
Mar 02, 2010

I want to send questions to TM although the email stated to send them to ccm.  I have tons of questions.  this is not fair at all.  we cannot help poor audio, hemming and hawing by the dictator, dictators who cannot dictate......who the heck is running this show, lucy and ethel??? bunch of creeps. ...

Sending Back Equipment???
Mar 11, 2010

I am working on sending back my equipment for MQ and just got the mailing slips in the mail today.  The sheet that comes along with it tells me I'm not required to send back the foot pedal, speaker, keyboard or mouse.  This makes no sense to me.....anyone been here before??  Did you just send everything back regardless??  Please help. ...

Need Clarification On Rules For Sending Cc's.. Sm
May 11, 2010

Okay, I got a ding today from my extremely sweet and helpful QATL.  It seems I did not send as a cc a requesting physician dictated.  I looked at the report and I did enter the requesting physician in the ADT and the body of the report.  I thought if they did not specifically request a cc be sent, then you did not.   Am I wrong?   Old dog needs help.  Also, I thought if the Req Physician was in the ADT it automatically received a carbon copy..  Hmmm.. ...

Getting Docked For Sending Work To QA :(
May 31, 2010

Why should we be docked for sending work to QA especially when there is an issue with poor audio quality, having a job that is incomplete or simply not being able to find the correct address even after we have spent time doing the propper research. This is as ludicrous as it would be if the phone company decided to charge us extra to call 911. ...

CBAY SENDING MORE THAN EVER TO INDIA
Jul 15, 2010

http://ahdilounge.blogspot.com/2010/04/medical-transcription-heavyweight-cbay.html   CBAY SENDING MORE THAN EVER TO INDIA ...

Sending Work To India
Aug 16, 2010

Maybe I haven't done a thorough search.  I see a lot of posts about offshoring to India.  Not all of the work goes there.  AFAIK, the Philippines is quite a hot spot. India, Philippines--what the heck.  How's that global economy working for ya? ...

Help Me Please....FTP Site File Sending???
Sep 08, 2010

Hi, Can anyone tell me how to send completed typed files via a FTP site?  I was asked to test for a company through an FTP site that they sent me the link to so I could transcribe 2 files.  They said I could send the completed test back via the FTP site but I don't know what to do.  I did look it up on Google but am still lost! ...

Sending X-mas Cards To Accounts
Dec 16, 2010

Does anyone send Christmas cards to their accounts?  I work as an IC for an MTSO and this is the second year now that I have received a fruit basket from one of my long-term accounts.  I get nothing from my MTSO, however.  Last year I sent them a thank you card and maybe a Christmas card as well, but I can't remember.  Anyways, I was thinking of sending them a X-mas card with a thank you note in it for the fruit basket.  Thoughts?  Anybody else get x-mas gifts ...

Sending Work Offshore
Nov 04, 2011

There is one thing that people should know when it comes to sending work offshore, be it India or Pakistan or any other country.  The patient’s information is strictly protected.  It is true that the SSN number and the MRN number is being given away by the doctors while dictating the demographics, but at the same time a person transcribing those reports does a minimum of 20-25 reports a day, do you think he or she will even remember at the end of the day what number belonged to w ...

To Those Sending Out Backlog Updates:
Apr 17, 2012

It would be very helpful if you would state whether or not OT is approved.  Never sure if you're referring to part-timers & people who need to make up hours versus allowing us to hop on for OT. ...

Sending Records Offshore
Apr 17, 2012

Yes. The Privacy Rules allow hospitals to disclose patients' names and other directory information to anyone asking for the patient by name or to the clergy. Patients do not need to sign up to be included in the directory, but must be allowed to "opt out" and choose not to be listed.       For those of you who have been saying that sending transcription overseas is illegal or a HIPAA violation, this information was taken from the HIPAA Q & A board on ...

If You Keep Sending Problem Docs Through QA
Jul 11, 2012

So sick of these repeat bad dictators..If we keep sending them through QA then they never realize what a pain in the tail they are..I honestly think a lot, not all, if they realized how bad they sound would straighten up..Especially the English speaking "slurrers".. Im sending them the blanks,  Guarantee no one ever say he doc, can you just slow down to somewhere near the speed of light for a change then your reports would come back more accurate and in a timely manner instead of them being ...

Sending Email From MT Stars
Aug 15, 2012

If I email someone directly from MT stars will they see my real name? I notice a box comes up when you click to email and you type in your name and address. Is that the name that shows up when the person recieves the email? I am asking because I have had a couple emails from people here at MT stars and I really would like to reply just not through my direct email, as I would prefer to remain anonymous and when emailing from my personal email my name shows up. So my question is, if I email ...

Company Still Sending Emails.
Aug 18, 2012

I quit working for On-Time Transcription due to VR and lack of income; also the fact they sold to Accentus.  I get emails almost daily where QA is complaining about this or that.  I've replied asking that she remove my email address as I quit and would really appreciate never hearing from this company again.  I've received two more today.  Ugh.  Just shows how they are unable to get things done. ...