A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Does anyone do family practice? - FPgirl

Posted: Apr 30, 2011

I have been doing transcription for about 7 years now, but almost all of that has been doing family practice work in SOAP note fashion.  When I first graduated I briefly did some work doing OP, H&P, discharges, et cetera.  I only did that for a short time and then started working at my current job. I have been with this small MTSO for 6 years doing family practice. I also did some letters and SOAP notes for peds endo for a while while doing the family practice. Anyway, over the last year or so I have lost a lot of my docs to EMR. My work load is very small and I have been searching for a part time (or even full time) job doing family practice notes to help my income. Does anyone know of a company that is doing family practice? Everyone seems to be hiring for hospital work or other specialties. I would even be happy finding someone that has overflow and needs help with letters or notes, but I just cant seem to find any companies around for that.

Anyone have any ideas of where to look? Thank you so much for any help or options!! :)

FPgirl, as you report yourself, demand for - your very narrow niche is disappearing.

[ In Reply To ..]
Unless you simply intend to ride it to the end then leave the field, it's extremely important that you move to a position that will broaden your skills. This is just about the end of this particular road.

You might somehow also hang on for more years by contracting directly to older physicians who refuse to change their methods. Maybe. Please note that new federal regulations will require even them to have their systems fully computerized very shortly and that soap-type notes are, relatively speaking, very easy to input directly.

In any case, since you ask, hopefully someone will answer your question with the name of a company, or perhaps an IC you could sub to, that still has some FP.

Similar Messages:

Family Practice MT Needed For P.R.N. Work - Crystals Home Transcription
Sep 23, 2010

Has anyone applied and heard back from this company today? ...

I Want More Practice
Oct 17, 2009

I am loving the company I am working for.   I am new to the field, and they have helped me so much to develop my skills.  BUT I am currently only transcribing one specialty(rehab).  I would like to get some practice in acute care, surgical reports, etc.  I've seen several practice CDs on the net and ebay, and just wondered if any of them are worth it.  I have zero experience in other specialties except for the little bit I did during training, and I just want t ...

ESL Practice
Jan 28, 2010

Hi, I'm taking Allied's course and there is no section on ESL dictations. Where can I get samples to transcribe? Or at least listen to? Thanks. ...

Do You Family Still Come First? I Would Like To Know!
May 01, 2010

After being at a company with no work and little respect for the MT, I decided to quit and find another job.  I have been testing great,passing the on-line tests easily,and getting interest, and job offers.  My only problem is that all the jobs offered to me are for the afternoon shift.  Please do not get me wrong, I will work afternoon shift if my kids do not have food on the table, but I would rather have my afternoons, evenings free to spend time with my kids after they are gon ...

Moving Practice To EMR.
Dec 22, 2009

I received a call today from a doctor that I know.  His practice is switching over to EMR, and he wants someone to coordinate that transition.  New patients are easily entered into the system, but he has a temporary need to get the old records into the EMR system.  His office staff is too busy to add this big job to their workload, and I think he correctly determined that he needs someone who can read the old office records, understand them, and then extract the info that needs to ...

Common Practice
Jan 11, 2012

Is is common practice if you are placed on hold to pay them back 3/4 of your pay?? Is everything out there like this? ...

Thanks For All The Comma/and Help Family
Feb 27, 2010

Now I have another one:  first or 1st? First metatarsal, or 1st metatarsal First rib, or 1st rib When should you use first and when should you use 1st?  Thanks family! ...

No Family Support
Mar 29, 2010

I was all set to just quit MQ this past weekend, I had just had enough, even though I don't have another job yet, but am finishing my courses, which I am almost done with.  But my husband got upset about being the only breadwinner and dipping into the savings.  I can't get him to understand what I have to go through.  I keep hoping they will just fire me or lay me off so I can get unemployment, but so far nothing, even though I'm certainly not turning in the work I ...

Death In Family
Sep 10, 2010

Does MQ offer bereavement pay?  I don't have any PTO time left, but have to attend a funeral out of town.  (another expense I cannot afford...)  ...

How Do You Get Your Family To Leave You Alone?
Mar 23, 2012

It's hard enough to get my lines in.  I tell my family I'm on the clock, I have to work, but they just don't pay any attention.  If they are here, they walk right in, sit down and start talking, even though they can see my fingers poised over the keyboard and my headphones on.  If they are not here, they call, and then they have to repeat everything three times.  I know I could clock out but I can't just abandon a job I'm in the middle of so even if I ...

MT Dictation Practice Sites
Nov 16, 2009

Thanks for all the useful comments and equiptment tips. I am waiting for my internship.   Want to keep my skills sharp. What on-line sites would you all recommend for daily MT dictation pracrtice? I am currently redoing over and over my course materials. Also what does one do to improve on grammar and punctuation skills? Thanks. from Vermont, Diane     ...

Would This Be A Good Practice Book For Me - Sm
May 21, 2011

Workbook for Step-by-Step Medical Coding 2011 Edition [Paperback] I want some more practice for the course i am taking.  would this be a good practice book?  What I really want is a practice-type of workbook or questions that would be like the cPC exam - multiple choice-type.  can anyone point me in the right direction? ...

New MT Needs Practice Test For All Specialties
Nov 08, 2011

I am planning to take an MT test at the libary.  Never done it online before, or MT.  Anyone want to help me know things I need up front, like what are good sources for using during test and just transcription?  I don't even know what questions to ask.  I've done MT before quite a bit but on analogue machine.  I have medical terminology in chiropractic, mental health, neurology, and on a trial basis (the hospital).  Should I order an overall practice book ...

Phoenix Practice Solutions
Jan 30, 2013

Stay away from Phoenix Practice Solutions for their pretend call-ins for a pretend appointment setter service. Also, you will get stuck with paying for a phone.  They make you role play, can you believe this - HOW LOW WILL THEY GO!   ...

Need A Contract Between MTSO And Practice
Feb 13, 2013

Could somebody help me out with a sample/template for a contract between an mtso and a medical practice?  thanks in advance! ...

I Was Taught And Practice Communication Is Key
Mar 11, 2014

Today is March 11 - that's 11 days since those of us who USE to work on a large account for OTI went POOF.  There has been little to NO communication since then.  Since March 4, I have applied for so many job postings, MT - nonMT - employee - IC it really doesn't matter I just need to make $$ and support my family!  It is very frustrating that you don't even get a canned answer "sorry, the positions are filled"  or "sorry you don't meet our specifications" ...

Family Medical Leave
Apr 18, 2010

Be sure you have enough work hours every 12 months to get family medical  leave if you need it. You will need to have 1250 hours for the past 12 months. If you work the 24-hour work week, you will have 1248 hours, missing two hours. While Medquist of course has the discretion of giving you family medical leave even with the 1248 hours, they are not required to do that. Then you will either have to let your relatives who need your help manage without you or lose your job.  At your CCM&# ...

I Guess We Now Dictate With Our Family
May 11, 2010

I just had an idiot dictating with what sounded like his whole family in the background, foreground, everyground.  Two young girls talking and giggling and then saying goodbye to each other.  Daughter talking to mother.  Some kind of beeping noise like a piece of heavy equipment backing up....beep, beep, beep, beep.  Dictator just yapping away.  How inconsiderate!!!!  Okay, I'm done.  ...

Hate Having To Tell My Family To Leave Me Alone
Feb 02, 2013

I have told them, if my ears are in I'm working.  If I'm not working, I'm not making money.  I have only 8 hours in which to get this work done. But still, they will walk in here and start talking.  Then I have to tell them again, and that always makes me feel BAD! ...

ANYONE KNOW ABOUT THE FAMILY ACT LEAVE AND HOW IT IS HANDLED
Jul 08, 2013

may need to take a leave of absence for a while....I cannot find an employee handbook anywhere, was employed by Transcend when Nuance bought them out ...

So What Happens If You Have A Personal/family Emergency ..... Sm
Jul 08, 2014

and have to take time off at the last minute? And have no PTO time? Will I be fired? ...

Family Insurance Coverage
Nov 07, 2014

Someone posted a message about a week ago that they were a single parent and could not afford the price of family coverage. Well, I am in the same boat. Family coverage with Nuance and most insurance companies I have checked out will cost me around 450.00 per month for just me and my son. But, I don't have to carry him under the same policy. If I take BCBSMA through Nuance and insure him under BCBSNC he is only 100.00 a month saving me around 250.00 dollars and month. I hope this helps ...

Pathology Transcription - Dictation To Practice?
Nov 01, 2009

I am testing for a transcription position within a hospital, but I have never done pathology transcription before only sleep medicine & consultations. Does anyone know where I can download sample pathology dictation to practice before I have to test with them on Thursday. Any help would be appreciated! ...

Practice Reports For Medical Transcription
Jun 28, 2010

My sister who recently graduated from MT school has started looking for MT jobs.  They now want her to test.  She feels she needs practice listening to actual dictated reports. Is there any site that has practice reports? ...

MTSOs Vs. Hospitals/Private Practice?
Dec 03, 2010

I've worked for several MT companies over the years just to end up going to another MT company for better pay, benefits, etc. Seems like a never-ending cycle. Anyone here ever worked from home directly with a hospital or private practice? Thanks for any response! ...

The Transcription Doctors - Regarding The Practice Of Penalizing Them
Jun 30, 2011

I would like to hear from current Transcription Doctors transcriptionists regarding the practice of penalizing them if they do not meet the required production rate, and also do they do the same if your QA percentage rate goes lower than what they require?  I have never heard of a company doing this before.  I don't see how they can keep people if this is true. ...

Nearly Every MTSO Engages In This Fraudulent Practice,
Oct 26, 2012

Most of us are not even aware of this, but the MTSOs have been doing it to all of us for years, and what they are stealing from us is huge.  Check this out. I will use just one report I did today to illustrate.  Template loaded for DS.  Report was half a minute long.  I am required to delete any unused headings.  All of the preloaded headings came to 200 characters.  Based on a 65-character line, that's 3.07 lines.  I had to delete all of those characters ...

Can Someone Direct Me To The Asr Practice Modules That Were Located
Apr 03, 2014

Department and then I think Human Resources and then I dont remember what comes next.   I did them about 1 1/2 years ago but I cant find them now.   TIA ...

Medical Transcription Practice Reports
Dec 27, 2014

I'm a recent honors grad and would like to find some practice reports to help keep my newly acquired skills sharp during the resume building/job search process.  Your tips are much appreciated. JB ...

Pt Was Passing The S/l Tolinger In Track Practice
Mar 22, 2015