A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Would this be a good practice book for me - sm - Coder-to-be

Posted: May 21, 2011

Workbook for Step-by-Step Medical Coding 2011 Edition [Paperback]

I want some more practice for the course i am taking.  would this be a good practice book? 

What I really want is a practice-type of workbook or questions that would be like the cPC exam - multiple choice-type.  can anyone point me in the right direction?

I don't know, but I didn't want your message to seem to be ignored - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't know that book, so I can't answer your question. Hopefully someone else will. Good luck though!

Thanks for responding :) nm - Coder-to-be

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

You should ask your instructor that question - See msg

[ In Reply To ..]
I think the AAPC courses use that set of books, just with their own cover on it. It has minimal coverage of ICD-9 with more CPT, but that matches the focus of the credential. AAPC has an exam review book from that series on their website.

Whether it would be good for you would depend on what you are using now. You didn't tell us that, but if you did, we would be in a better position to help you.

You should ask your instructor for advice on supplemental materials. YOU might think you need supplementing, but your instructor might think you do not.

The question is why you think you need this. If your grades aren't that good, you need to fix the underlying problem that is causing the errors. What good will it do to get more practice doing it the wrong way?

If you are just nervous about this and think you'd be better if you just had more practice, that can go on forever. Nobody ever thinks they're "ready." At some point, you need to just take the test and see how you do. You get another retake within a year at no extra charge.

Similar Messages:

Good Drug Reference Book?
Feb 23, 2011

I am a newly hired MT and do not have a drug reference book yet.  I am looking for suggestions for a good drug reference book.  Also, looking for any other suggestions that may help me improve my knowledge and speed.  Thanks! ...

I Want More Practice
Oct 17, 2009

I am loving the company I am working for.   I am new to the field, and they have helped me so much to develop my skills.  BUT I am currently only transcribing one specialty(rehab).  I would like to get some practice in acute care, surgical reports, etc.  I've seen several practice CDs on the net and ebay, and just wondered if any of them are worth it.  I have zero experience in other specialties except for the little bit I did during training, and I just want t ...

ESL Practice
Jan 28, 2010

Hi, I'm taking Allied's course and there is no section on ESL dictations. Where can I get samples to transcribe? Or at least listen to? Thanks. ...

Moving Practice To EMR.
Dec 22, 2009

I received a call today from a doctor that I know.  His practice is switching over to EMR, and he wants someone to coordinate that transition.  New patients are easily entered into the system, but he has a temporary need to get the old records into the EMR system.  His office staff is too busy to add this big job to their workload, and I think he correctly determined that he needs someone who can read the old office records, understand them, and then extract the info that needs to ...

Does Anyone Do Family Practice?
Apr 30, 2011

I have been doing transcription for about 7 years now, but almost all of that has been doing family practice work in SOAP note fashion.  When I first graduated I briefly did some work doing OP, H&P, discharges, et cetera.  I only did that for a short time and then started working at my current job. I have been with this small MTSO for 6 years doing family practice. I also did some letters and SOAP notes for peds endo for a while while doing the family practice. Anyway, over the las ...

Common Practice
Jan 11, 2012

Is is common practice if you are placed on hold to pay them back 3/4 of your pay?? Is everything out there like this? ...

MT Dictation Practice Sites
Nov 16, 2009

Thanks for all the useful comments and equiptment tips. I am waiting for my internship.   Want to keep my skills sharp. What on-line sites would you all recommend for daily MT dictation pracrtice? I am currently redoing over and over my course materials. Also what does one do to improve on grammar and punctuation skills? Thanks. from Vermont, Diane     ...

New MT Needs Practice Test For All Specialties
Nov 08, 2011

I am planning to take an MT test at the libary.  Never done it online before, or MT.  Anyone want to help me know things I need up front, like what are good sources for using during test and just transcription?  I don't even know what questions to ask.  I've done MT before quite a bit but on analogue machine.  I have medical terminology in chiropractic, mental health, neurology, and on a trial basis (the hospital).  Should I order an overall practice book ...

Phoenix Practice Solutions
Jan 30, 2013

Stay away from Phoenix Practice Solutions for their pretend call-ins for a pretend appointment setter service. Also, you will get stuck with paying for a phone.  They make you role play, can you believe this - HOW LOW WILL THEY GO!   ...

Need A Contract Between MTSO And Practice
Feb 13, 2013

Could somebody help me out with a sample/template for a contract between an mtso and a medical practice?  thanks in advance! ...

I Was Taught And Practice Communication Is Key
Mar 11, 2014

Today is March 11 - that's 11 days since those of us who USE to work on a large account for OTI went POOF.  There has been little to NO communication since then.  Since March 4, I have applied for so many job postings, MT - nonMT - employee - IC it really doesn't matter I just need to make $$ and support my family!  It is very frustrating that you don't even get a canned answer "sorry, the positions are filled"  or "sorry you don't meet our specifications" ...

Pathology Transcription - Dictation To Practice?
Nov 01, 2009

I am testing for a transcription position within a hospital, but I have never done pathology transcription before only sleep medicine & consultations. Does anyone know where I can download sample pathology dictation to practice before I have to test with them on Thursday. Any help would be appreciated! ...

Practice Reports For Medical Transcription
Jun 28, 2010

My sister who recently graduated from MT school has started looking for MT jobs.  They now want her to test.  She feels she needs practice listening to actual dictated reports. Is there any site that has practice reports? ...

MTSOs Vs. Hospitals/Private Practice?
Dec 03, 2010

I've worked for several MT companies over the years just to end up going to another MT company for better pay, benefits, etc. Seems like a never-ending cycle. Anyone here ever worked from home directly with a hospital or private practice? Thanks for any response! ...

The Transcription Doctors - Regarding The Practice Of Penalizing Them
Jun 30, 2011

I would like to hear from current Transcription Doctors transcriptionists regarding the practice of penalizing them if they do not meet the required production rate, and also do they do the same if your QA percentage rate goes lower than what they require?  I have never heard of a company doing this before.  I don't see how they can keep people if this is true. ...

Nearly Every MTSO Engages In This Fraudulent Practice,
Oct 26, 2012

Most of us are not even aware of this, but the MTSOs have been doing it to all of us for years, and what they are stealing from us is huge.  Check this out. I will use just one report I did today to illustrate.  Template loaded for DS.  Report was half a minute long.  I am required to delete any unused headings.  All of the preloaded headings came to 200 characters.  Based on a 65-character line, that's 3.07 lines.  I had to delete all of those characters ...

Can Someone Direct Me To The Asr Practice Modules That Were Located
Apr 03, 2014

Department and then I think Human Resources and then I dont remember what comes next.   I did them about 1 1/2 years ago but I cant find them now.   TIA ...

Medical Transcription Practice Reports
Dec 27, 2014

I'm a recent honors grad and would like to find some practice reports to help keep my newly acquired skills sharp during the resume building/job search process.  Your tips are much appreciated. JB ...

Pt Was Passing The S/l Tolinger In Track Practice
Mar 22, 2015

Lost Acct To Practice Fusion Software
Jan 25, 2013

Has anyone heard of Practice Fusion?  I had this account for almost 20 years and has been forced into using Practice Fusion software in which the doctor types his own notes in a certain format in an EMR.  He has been trying to figure out a way to keep me on as his transcriptionist but haven't heard from him.   If anyone knows anything about this, please let me know. Thanks You ...

If You Work For A Private Practice Oncology Office
Nov 25, 2014

When I did MT, I worked for an oncology office.  Perhaps those may be dwindling like the MT career... ...

Does Anyone Work For A Small Company That Handles Private Practice?
Sep 04, 2014

I am looking for a smaller company that needs help with private practice transcription.  Does anybody know of one that needs help?  I can't find anything when I search.  I am currently going part-time at a large company to get them off of my back about how long I am glued to the keyboard and foot pedal and how much work I do per hour.  I have over 14 years of experience and I am good at what I do.  I want to work for a company that will appreciate that and not hound ...

Family Practice MT Needed For P.R.N. Work - Crystals Home Transcription
Sep 23, 2010

Has anyone applied and heard back from this company today? ...

Using Dragon Medical Practice, Version 2 For Transcription, Coding, Billing, Editing - Is It Worth I
Dec 29, 2014

It was recently suggested to me that I get Dragon Medical practice Edition, Version 2 for use on transcription, coding, billing and editing. As someone who works from home, I am hoping to investigate the pros and cons of investing in this program and whether its worth it ($1,399.00!!) Does anyone have any experience using this program for transcription, etc who would like to comment? Is it worth the time investment and the money investment? Is the program fairly easy to set up and use ie: l ...

Does Anybody Still Keep A Log Book?
Dec 05, 2011

I would like to start using my laptop in a couple of weeks (MQ upgrade) and it seems like a good time to give up the log book. I have been keeping one since I started 10 years ago. No patient info, just job #, work type and length. I just like the idea of keeping them honest, not really trusting them, although I only find a missing job once or twice a year. Just would like some feedback. I feel it may be slowing me down in between jobs. TIA. ...

Net Book For Transcription????
Dec 03, 2010

I currently use my own PC for my MT work.. but I am looking to get a new computer..  I use the express scribe program for work. I travel alot and I think it will help. pros and cons?? anyone else use one?? do you like it??   ...

What Do I Do With A Book Title?
Feb 10, 2011

dictated:  I recommended the book Everyone Poops. I don't know that I have ever known the rule for this.  If I ever did, I have forgotten it. 'Everyone Poops' "Everyone Poops" Everyone Poops Help please, and thanks. ...

BOS - New Book Of Style?
Jul 16, 2012

Anyone know when they are coming out with a new Book of Style?  I am afraid to buy the 3rd edition since it is from 2008.  Thanks. ...

Best Drug Help Book?
Jul 22, 2012

I am interested in updating my drug book as there have been so many new medications since my last 2001 Monthly Prescribing Reference Book and I cannot afford to keep subscribing to that.  What reference book/internet site would you suggest to help me with new medications.  Thank you for your help and response. ...

Reference Book
May 25, 2013

Does anyone know of a "be-all/end-all" reference book for all the stages and grades across all disciplines (specialties) and whether they are expressed in roman or arabic numerals.  If there is, it would be worth it's weight in gold to me (almost).  Thanks! - B ...