A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Thanks for all the comma/and help family - MT2020

Posted: Feb 27, 2010

Now I have another one:  first or 1st?

First metatarsal, or 1st metatarsal

First rib, or 1st rib

When should you use first and when should you use 1st? 

Thanks family!

numbers - from BOS

[ In Reply To ..]
This is from an earlier version of the BOS:

ordinals
Ordinal numbers are used to indicate order or position in a series rather than quantity.

Ordinals are commonly spelled out, especially when the series goes no higher than 10 items. However, as with all numbers in medical reports, AAMT recommends using numerals: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc.

Do not use a period with ordinal numbers.

3rd rib (or third)
5 th finger (or fifth)
She is to return for her 3rd (or third) visit in 2 days.
She was in her 9th (or ninth) month of pregnancy.
His return visits are scheduled for the 15th and 25th of next month.
The 4th cranial nerve...

Similar Messages:

To Comma Or Not To Comma, That Is The Question
Dec 03, 2011

Hi, Does a comma belong in this sentence? "The liver is enlarged and demonstrates diffuse increased echogenicity, consistent with fatty infiltration." -OR- "The liver is enlarged and demonstrates diffuse increased echogenicity consistent with fatty infiltration." Thanks! ...

Do You Family Still Come First? I Would Like To Know!
May 01, 2010

After being at a company with no work and little respect for the MT, I decided to quit and find another job.  I have been testing great,passing the on-line tests easily,and getting interest, and job offers.  My only problem is that all the jobs offered to me are for the afternoon shift.  Please do not get me wrong, I will work afternoon shift if my kids do not have food on the table, but I would rather have my afternoons, evenings free to spend time with my kids after they are gon ...

No Family Support
Mar 29, 2010

I was all set to just quit MQ this past weekend, I had just had enough, even though I don't have another job yet, but am finishing my courses, which I am almost done with.  But my husband got upset about being the only breadwinner and dipping into the savings.  I can't get him to understand what I have to go through.  I keep hoping they will just fire me or lay me off so I can get unemployment, but so far nothing, even though I'm certainly not turning in the work I ...

Death In Family
Sep 10, 2010

Does MQ offer bereavement pay?  I don't have any PTO time left, but have to attend a funeral out of town.  (another expense I cannot afford...)  ...

Does Anyone Do Family Practice?
Apr 30, 2011

I have been doing transcription for about 7 years now, but almost all of that has been doing family practice work in SOAP note fashion.  When I first graduated I briefly did some work doing OP, H&P, discharges, et cetera.  I only did that for a short time and then started working at my current job. I have been with this small MTSO for 6 years doing family practice. I also did some letters and SOAP notes for peds endo for a while while doing the family practice. Anyway, over the las ...

How Do You Get Your Family To Leave You Alone?
Mar 23, 2012

It's hard enough to get my lines in.  I tell my family I'm on the clock, I have to work, but they just don't pay any attention.  If they are here, they walk right in, sit down and start talking, even though they can see my fingers poised over the keyboard and my headphones on.  If they are not here, they call, and then they have to repeat everything three times.  I know I could clock out but I can't just abandon a job I'm in the middle of so even if I ...

Family Medical Leave
Apr 18, 2010

Be sure you have enough work hours every 12 months to get family medical  leave if you need it. You will need to have 1250 hours for the past 12 months. If you work the 24-hour work week, you will have 1248 hours, missing two hours. While Medquist of course has the discretion of giving you family medical leave even with the 1248 hours, they are not required to do that. Then you will either have to let your relatives who need your help manage without you or lose your job.  At your CCM&# ...

I Guess We Now Dictate With Our Family
May 11, 2010

I just had an idiot dictating with what sounded like his whole family in the background, foreground, everyground.  Two young girls talking and giggling and then saying goodbye to each other.  Daughter talking to mother.  Some kind of beeping noise like a piece of heavy equipment backing up....beep, beep, beep, beep.  Dictator just yapping away.  How inconsiderate!!!!  Okay, I'm done.  ...

Hate Having To Tell My Family To Leave Me Alone
Feb 02, 2013

I have told them, if my ears are in I'm working.  If I'm not working, I'm not making money.  I have only 8 hours in which to get this work done. But still, they will walk in here and start talking.  Then I have to tell them again, and that always makes me feel BAD! ...

ANYONE KNOW ABOUT THE FAMILY ACT LEAVE AND HOW IT IS HANDLED
Jul 08, 2013

may need to take a leave of absence for a while....I cannot find an employee handbook anywhere, was employed by Transcend when Nuance bought them out ...

So What Happens If You Have A Personal/family Emergency ..... Sm
Jul 08, 2014

and have to take time off at the last minute? And have no PTO time? Will I be fired? ...

Family Insurance Coverage
Nov 07, 2014

Someone posted a message about a week ago that they were a single parent and could not afford the price of family coverage. Well, I am in the same boat. Family coverage with Nuance and most insurance companies I have checked out will cost me around 450.00 per month for just me and my son. But, I don't have to carry him under the same policy. If I take BCBSMA through Nuance and insure him under BCBSNC he is only 100.00 a month saving me around 250.00 dollars and month. I hope this helps ...

Oh Brother! My Whole Family Is Mad At Me For Working Tonight.
Dec 24, 2009

My husband has had it with this company and slave job and making half the pay.  He wants to go to church tonight and wants us to have time with family and play games and watch movies tonight, BUT I HAVE TO WORK TONIGHT AND TOMORROW MORNING!  Back to back.  Frankly, IT SUCKS BIG TIME!  Doctors and nurses have fun.  They get to talk to people when they work on holidays and give gifts to each other and listen to Christmas music and socialize while working.  Me?  I ...

The Family Wishes To Trim Her Pharmacal *pia*?? Thanks Nm
Jan 05, 2010

nm ...

S/l Keratin Malaysia... Just In Family History NFI
Jan 25, 2010

In the family history, just says "Father has s/l keratin malaysia" malashea... any ideas?  thank you ...

Capitalization - Family Planning Clinic ?
Oct 14, 2010

In a medical transcription report is "family planning clinic" capalized? Thanxs ...

Long Day..How Would You Type (this Is In Family History) Sm
Jun 03, 2011

father of the baby's brother had (this account is verbatim). Thanks so much! ...

$700 A Month For Health Insurance For My Family?
Feb 10, 2012

When I worked in-house at a local hospital until a couple of years ago, I was able to get health, dental, prescription plan, life, etc., insurance for my whole family (90%/10%) for only $250 a month.  The hospital paid the other half of the premium.  Unfortunately our nice little community hospital got bought out by a nationwide hospital corporation which had a preexisting contract with a national transcription company.  At first I was just like, well, here we go, I guess I'l ...

Company Question Regarding Family Members.
Mar 23, 2012

Does anyone have family members in the same household working for the same company?  Is this allowed?   Thanks ...

Where Can I Find The Family Leave Form??
Nov 20, 2013

x ...

Did Anybody Else Get A Goodbye Letter To The Nuance Family?
Jan 01, 2014

nm ...

Comma Or No Comma!
Oct 17, 2009

PROCEDURE Total Thyroidectomy, complications bibasilar discoid atelecatasis with probable pneumonitis. Is there a comma, other punctuation or no punctuation?? Any and all help appreciated   ...

Comma/and
Feb 25, 2010

I'm just a little confused as to how to use comma/and combination?  apples, rasperries, and pears OR apples, rasperries and pears Recently I was told that "and" is the comma.  I thought the AHDI standard was comma before and.  ...

Need Comma Help
Mar 06, 2010

Hi everyone, No I'm not post happy, but I do have a few questions that I feel need to be answered. I am having a hard time with commas. When I did a transcription test (none medical) for a transcription service, I got my test back and it was all marked up and they said it was mostly punctuation errors, like commas. Can anyone suggest how I can overcome my comma problem so I don't fail anymore transcription service tests? I was really embarrassed to get my test back because it wasn� ...

Comma Help!
Mar 20, 2010

Past medical history includes a transient ischemic attack treated since that time with aspirin. Comma after attack?? I'm thinking no comma..... ...

Comma?
Jul 13, 2010

"Each time the hernia would protrude he would have significant discomfort." Do I need a comma betweed protrude and he?   ...

Comma With NOS
Dec 07, 2011

Mood Disorder NOS or Mood Disorder, NOS   Thanks! ...

Comma Or No Comma
Jul 25, 2012

When the sentence begins with "From _____ standpoint" - Should there be a comma after "standpoint?" From a cardiology standpoint, he is clear for surgery. OR From a cardiology standpoint he is clear for surgery. Thank you.   ...

Comma Or No Comma?
Sep 12, 2012

On 07/25/2012 the patient underwent whatever. On 07/25/2012, the patient underwent whatever. One QA says comma, another QA says no comma.  Can anyone reference this for me? Thx!!!!   ...

Comma In As Well As
Mar 20, 2013

Please advise on commas in "as well as".  I think it should only be one prior to like; "She is on some probiotics, as well as some natural hormone substitutes." Thanks! ...