A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

In this economy, would you (sm) - tough choice

Posted: Mar 07, 2012

take a job with a one hour commute?  It is an in-house transcription position and pays $16.  I know it is not the greatest pay but at this point I am wondering if it is worth it just to get out from the whole MTSO thing.  Honest opinions appreciated.

I think the following - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I think an hour drive is crazy. However, I would love to take a job in house if the benefits were good and if they had opportunity for advancement. I would think that they help pay for schooling for do something else, which would be a benefit at this point. With the ever-soaring gas prices, I would be worried. Is that an hour round trip or an hour each way? Is there any way you could move closer to the hospital?

I wish you luck in whatever decision you make.

I would take it in a heartbeat - olddddMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I live in a major city so anywhere I could work outside of home would be an hour commute, even if it's only a 20-minute drive when not rush hour. I would take it for the benefits alone and $16 is not bad these days. do they offer OT? I would give anything if one of the hospitals around here would hire in-house but they all outsource. Also the benefit of being able to continue working for that hospital if they decided to get rid of transcriptionists, that would be a plus.

Figure out what your daily gas expenses would...sm - oldtimer

[ In Reply To ..]
be. If you are looking at 90-100 miles round trip per day the gas will add up. I think that $16/hr is a decent pay though, especially if you get benefits too.
I agree, gauge your gas expense - mt
[ In Reply To ..]
If you're going to work for minimum wage, you could do that at home.

I have done it. One of the better decisions I've made. - anon.anon

[ In Reply To ..]
It turned out to be more lucrative than I could have imagined, because there was tons of OT. There is something to be said about making the same amount (or more) each paycheck, rather than being all over the place from month to month working for an MTSO, where I always felt like I was on a tight wire without a net (felt?...heck, I WAS walking on a tight wire without a net!).

And then there's the excellent benefits, paid time off (felt downright decadent after 10 years of nothing, working for MTSOs), and regular raises annually.

As someone else has posted, if things turn bad and you are outsourced, there will be opportunities for you to get a job elsewhere within the hospital. They'll pay for your schooling. And, worst case scenario, at least you'll be eligible for unemployment, unlike if you're an IC.

Any chance of you moving closer to the hospital at some point? That's what I ended up doing. Did not regret it.

Economy... - IBMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Gas, increased insurance rates, wear and tear on the car, clothing, time loss in transit, etc., are all cost factors. Is carpooling an option? Personally, I would take the hospital job despite the costs involved.

I do that very thing. - JustMe

[ In Reply To ..]
I live in a very small town where there aren't any transcription jobs. Working for an MTSO doesn't seem to cut it for so many people anymore so I am driving one hour and 15 minutes each way 5-6 days a week to a hospital in a larger town. My base rate is only 10.00 an hour but with incentive I average from 15-20 daily. It's either that or make minimum wage in a grocery store in my town. I do worry about the upcoming gas prices though as I hear they are supposed to dramatically increase by summer. Good luck to us all!

Wouldn't commute 1 hr. for $16. $25+? Maybe. - An hour of driving each way - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
would eat up a lot of gasoline. Depending on where you live, it could hit $5/gal. this summer. Auto insurance premiums may go up if they find out you're commuting so far. Plus car will have to have more shop visits for preventative maintenance.

If taking public transit, the cost will probably be maybe a little less, but not much. Plus public transit can be unreliable.

Still, everyone's circumstances are different. For me, it'd be an hour of city-driving. More on bad-traffic days, bridge closure days, etc. An hour of open highway driving in the country? A different breed of cat.

Or, maybe your shift is during off-commute hours. That's why I had considered a job an hour away. It was late swing shift, coming home around 1:00 AM. NO traffic! But that job paid more like $32/hour. So I'd have probably driven thru fire, tsunamis and tornados every day for that kind of money. (Didn't get the job... they thought I lived too far away!)

Does that job offer outstanding benefits? Full medical/dental, with low deductibles? Paid vacation time? Opportunities to work overtime for higher pay? Great working conditions? Or maybe cost-of-living and merit raises? (Ahhh... remember those?)

Sometimes the commute can be a good thing... alone time to listen to music or a book on CD. Or, on the train, a chance to work on a laptop, read a book, or take a nap.

Still, take a long hard look at the commute. If it were temporary (like you're going to move there, or get to work from home, or just test it to see how it goes, it might be worth at least a try. Never know for sure til you do.

If you want to be sure before saying "yes", do a test-commute. Drive to the office at the same time you normally would on a workday. See how it goes, then factor in variables, like weather, road construction, etc.

Good luck!

How long before they start outsourcing?...nm - L&L

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Hospital job - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
Personally, I'd find a way to make the on site job work, at least give it a shot. As someone said, there will be other opportunities within your organization, and having benefits is a huge deal. I'm facing a double whammy at my on site job, Epic and possibly outsourcing, but they are helping to place us in other spots. I interviewed today for something that I really hope I get, so I hope I'm not jinxing things by posting. Maybe you can cut corners somewhere so you can afford the fuel for your car. Good luck whatever you choose and keep your fingers crossed for me!

you must consider - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
the dollar value of your benefit package in with your hourly wage and compare THAT to the MTSO deal. I recently turned down a local hospital job -- afraid I would be bored -- and now my company is being sold to Nuance and I regret my choice. I did not read all the posts here, but one poster gave the 'what if's' should the hospital job later outsource or something -- she is right on the money. Its a win-win situation to go with the hospital. Yes, THEY still give yearly increases. I am a veteran MT, and I would advise to take the hospital job.

Similar Messages:

Organized Or Not, MT Or Not, Global Economy Or Not,
Aug 16, 2011

During a time when millions of Americans are out of work, with no hope in sight of finding another job, and people up in Washington jabbering away about "Fixing the economy", the bottom line, and the truth, is this: No American company should be putting bigger profits ahead of all else.  Not when so many skilled Americans are in such dire need.  It's just not right, and it's time to tell the government we won't tolerate their allowing big business to squash the rest of ...

Layoffs, Acquisitions, Economy, Companies. Sm
Sep 03, 2010

With the economy the way it is, layoffs happen.  Do you really think that companies like to lay people off?  If they lay people off, there is less being transcribed and less being invoiced and less profit lining their pockets.  While I agree that email seems a cold way to lay people off, what option did they have?  Everyone works remotely, right?  If they started to make phone calls, it would've caused a panic for those who weren't being laid off.  This wa ...

Article About Economy Slump Pushing Ppl Down The Ladder. MT
Sep 10, 2012

x ...

Do You Think That As The Economy Improves That Industry Wide Salaries Will Begin To Improve?
Sep 22, 2010

I know and accept the fact (albeit grudgingly) that ASR and offshoring are the wave of the future, but do you think that as the economy improves that things will cycle and what we do will once again become valued with the recognition of our value being reflected in higher salaries?  Or do you think that the unhappy reality is that regardless of the economy salaries will either remain stagnant or continue to trend downward? Thanks in advance for your input. ...