A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Article about economy slump pushing ppl down the ladder. MT - is talked about. On MSN Economy Watch. nm

Posted: Sep 10, 2012

x

Article on MSN Economy watch. sm - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Interesting, indeed. Thanks for posting. I posted the link here. It is very sad that the person who wrote the article thought that the situation of the MT named in the article was "extreme" regarding the steep loss in her wages. Definitely not an extreme example as far as our profession goes these days.

He didnt say it was uncommon, he said extreme. Which it is an - extreme reduction in pay. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

extreme - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I respect your take on the article. My impression remains that he is saying that her situation is extreme; i.e., exceeding the ordinary for a medical transcriptionist.
Her situation was extreme. It was not uncommon. - Agree to disagree (but I am right) nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x

There's a link to MSN within the article for more - stories from people, because - s/m

[ In Reply To ..]
they plan to do a continuation of the story. I wrote and told them the MT they mention in their story is actually one of the luckier ones, and that many of us are actually even worse off, as far as how far our pay has fallen.

I think this is an excellent opportunity for MTs to get our story out there. Maybe if enough people in MT respond to MSN's story, someday they'll do a story highlighting the medical industry as a whole. Could expose a whole lotta closet skeletons.

Although the situation of that MT wasn't the extreme - end of shrinking MT income, -S/M

[ In Reply To ..]
I think compared to workers in most other professions who have also seen their share of problems, the situation of MTs IS extreme.

Article about economy slump pushing ppl down the latter - Disgusted

[ In Reply To ..]
What on earth are you quibbling about?? We all know the basic idea stated in the article is true--many probably weren't making as much as this person in the article, but the dramatic pay drop for the same work and the fact that there are few good options out there I think we all agree on--we all know we are not making the same $ for the same amount of work and that it's true all over not just 1 or 2 companies, and we know about offshoring and automation! It's a shame we all turn so easily to nit-picking at each wnen we're all in the same boat really.

Correction - Disgusted

[ In Reply To ..]
That should be ladder, not latter!

Similar Messages:

I Find Myself In A Slump
Mar 13, 2015

I just cannot motivate myself.  Not sure why!  I have a great job, lots of work available, but lately I am finding myself doing everything BUT work!!  The stress from the lack of a good paycheck is killing me too.  You would think I'd be pounding away at the keyboard right now, yet here I am on this forum whining!!  lol Okay, done.  Maybe I'll go transcribe a job or two now and try to focus.  :/   ...

Shoulder Procedure S/l Ladder-jay
Sep 17, 2010

May be arthroscopic or open, s/l Ladder-Jay procedure, tried lederje, laderje? ...

Sure Are Pushing That Swap Board -- NOT FOR ME!!
Jun 02, 2015

XX ...

How Long Should I Expect The Holiday Slump To Last?
Dec 25, 2010

I am trying to learn a new clinic account and find little to no work.  I can't even come close to getting my minimum line requirement of 1,200 daily.  How long does the holiday slump generally last? ...

Obama Is Really Pushing Electronic Medical Records
Jul 30, 2011

I have heard and read that Obama is really pushing the EMR, and by the year 2014, he wants all hospitals/clinics to implement this or else be taxed. He also is supposed to be offering grants and incentives if they do also. So any hospital or physician office that doesn't will be taxed more and will not get incentives, grants, etc. So I think most will try it cause they don't want more taxes and want the incentives, etc. So where does that leave us? If you work for a hospital, what ...

In This Economy, Would You (sm)
Mar 07, 2012

take a job with a one hour commute?  It is an in-house transcription position and pays $16.  I know it is not the greatest pay but at this point I am wondering if it is worth it just to get out from the whole MTSO thing.  Honest opinions appreciated. ...

Organized Or Not, MT Or Not, Global Economy Or Not,
Aug 16, 2011

During a time when millions of Americans are out of work, with no hope in sight of finding another job, and people up in Washington jabbering away about "Fixing the economy", the bottom line, and the truth, is this: No American company should be putting bigger profits ahead of all else.  Not when so many skilled Americans are in such dire need.  It's just not right, and it's time to tell the government we won't tolerate their allowing big business to squash the rest of ...

Layoffs, Acquisitions, Economy, Companies. Sm
Sep 03, 2010

With the economy the way it is, layoffs happen.  Do you really think that companies like to lay people off?  If they lay people off, there is less being transcribed and less being invoiced and less profit lining their pockets.  While I agree that email seems a cold way to lay people off, what option did they have?  Everyone works remotely, right?  If they started to make phone calls, it would've caused a panic for those who weren't being laid off.  This wa ...

Do You Think That As The Economy Improves That Industry Wide Salaries Will Begin To Improve?
Sep 22, 2010

I know and accept the fact (albeit grudgingly) that ASR and offshoring are the wave of the future, but do you think that as the economy improves that things will cycle and what we do will once again become valued with the recognition of our value being reflected in higher salaries?  Or do you think that the unhappy reality is that regardless of the economy salaries will either remain stagnant or continue to trend downward? Thanks in advance for your input. ...

"Latter/ladder Number Of Failed Therapy"
May 01, 2014

I'm embarassingly stuck on the sound-alike ladder vs latter. I know the difference, the ladder being the physical structure used for cilmbing, and latter being positional in a sentence, the second option of two things, the end half, etc (much like how I used it for this sentence).  However, I find myself second guessing which one to use as neither really made any sense to me. The doctor says repeatedly,"She has failed a [ladder/latter] number of therapy." My gut is saying latter, ...

This Article Just Says It All.
Oct 09, 2012

Whole WSJ Article
Mar 08, 2014

A medical services company owned by a J.P. Morgan Chase JPM +0.85% & Co. private-equity arm is preparing to file for bankruptcy protection in the next two weeks as it struggles under a hefty debt load and declining sales, people familiar with the matter said.M*Modal is in discussions with its creditors on a prearranged restructuring plan that would streamline its trip through bankruptcy court, these people said. The bankruptcy negotiations come about 18 months after One Equity Partners took ...

MedicalScribes - An Article About Them
Sep 07, 2010

This is an interesting article about using medical scribes to do transcription.  It is a way for doctors to create electronic medical records and not have to enter information into computers themselves. http://articles.latimes.com/2010/sep/06/health/la-he-medical-scribes-20100906 ...

Interesting Article On VBC...
Jun 14, 2011

http://health-information.advanceweb.com/Article/VBC-Compensation-for-MTs.aspx Read the comments too.  The second one is on point! ...

Article About Nuance
Feb 19, 2011

I don't work for Nuance or the other 3 MTSOs listed, but I found this article clear and with devastating details about the exact cost of what happens to the local economy when employers opt to switch to the offshoring companies: http://www.abc4.com/content/news/slc/story/University-of-Utah-Hospital-sending-local-jobs/ApYQbQl0d0OqwCx2vzmjlQ.cspx or search "University of Utah Hospital sending local jobs overseas" "Hundreds of people just like Rachelle are losing their jobs at medical tra ...

Article About MT Credentialing
Apr 09, 2011

I just brought in my mail and there was the March 28 issue of "For the Record", a magazine that was part of my AHDI membership benefits. I don't know why they're still sending it to me because my AHDI membership ran out, but I the cover story of this issue is "The MT Credentialing Debate: What do Medical Transcriptionists Gain by Adding RMT or CMT to Their Resumes?" I haven't started reading it yet, but it should be interesting! ...

Recent Article About MQ
Aug 01, 2011

http://ahdilounge.blogspot.com/2011/08/medquists-new-ceo-re-branding-on.html   They seem pretty happy about having 28 sites in India and want to keep offshoring more of their work.  I really wonder how many Americans, if properly educated about the whole thing, would really want their medical history sent overseas.  I know clinics/hospitals don't care.  They are using MQ and other services that offshore because they want to save a buck on services.  Yeah I know, s ...

Interesting Article...
Aug 07, 2011

This just basically proves that it still takes a human to do what a computer can't do...     ...

A Link To An Article
Mar 14, 2012

http://mttoolsonline.com/2011/01/25/medical-transcription-a-salary-perspective-over-11-years/ Article about MTs salaries compared to other jobs in the HIM department.  If you don't want to click on the link, google the following:  Medical Transcription A Salary Perspective over 11 years. ...

Good Article: ST Vs. SR
Jun 16, 2012

MTs Need to Get Off Inaccurate Pay Scale http://www.fortherecordmag.com/archives/050712p29.shtml#.T7hYiI60y30.facebook ...

Another Interesting Article...sm
Jul 12, 2012

found this interesting and encouraging... ...

Medigrafix Article
Aug 22, 2012

http://www.wowt.com/factfinders/headlines/Medical-Workers-Not-Being-Paid-166705406.html?mobile=yes ...

For The Record Article About MT Pay
Sep 11, 2012

http://www.fortherecordmag.com/archives/091012p22.shtml   ...

Another Great Article
Sep 12, 2012

From the magazine "For the Record."   http://www.fortherecordmag.com/archives/091012p22.shtml ...

Interesting Article Re EMR
Sep 22, 2012

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/22/business/medicare-billing-rises-at-hospitals-with-electronic-records.html?smid=pl-share Please read!   ...

Here's A Article About Compensation
Mar 11, 2013

Here’s an article by For the Record magazine that is worth reading. Sometimes, their articles are a lot of fluff, AHDI stressing we need them, or words just filling a page, but this one affirms what we have all known for a very long time.   http://www.fortherecordmag.com/archives/091012p22.shtml Interesting what is written about the Transcend lawsuit too. What can we do? At the end of the article, it mentions “MTs need to work with their employers to develop a fair compensat ...

M*Modal WSJ Article
Mar 08, 2014

A medical services company owned by a J.P. Morgan Chase JPM +0.85% & Co. private-equity arm is preparing to file for bankruptcy protection in the next two weeks as it struggles under a hefty debt load and declining sales, people familiar with the matter said. M*Modal is in discussions with its creditors on a prearranged restructuring plan that would streamline its trip through bankruptcy court, these people said. The bankruptcy negotiations come about 18 months after One ...

Must Read Article
Apr 10, 2014

I had to share this with each and every transcriptionist out there.  It is always darkest before the dawn.          ...

A Must-read Article!
Mar 25, 2015

Just saw this article posted in Nuance board.  MTs need to stop working for companies who do not value them!!!  We all know what companies this article and I are talking about! ...

Must Read Article On EHR
May 07, 2015

. ...