A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Where would I start, in order to report a HIPAA violation? - who to contact? SM

Posted: Oct 15, 2014

I think this really should be reported and looked into,  as long as we're all supposed to be taking HIPAA so seriously.

And, no, it doesn't matter what the violation was, I'm not posting it here for everyone to argue over the dirty details.

Start by. sm - Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
googling "report HIPAA violation." Seriously, there are plenty of sites including the HHS (Health and Human Services) site to guide you.

If you are working for a company, it needs to be - reported to the HIPAA compliance

[ In Reply To ..]
officer there. Start with your manager. Document and put in writing what you believe is the violation.

you might want to bounce it off us - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
just to make sure it's really a HIPAA violation. Otherwise, you might end up looking foolish.

Agree ... be sure it IS a violation first. - Sm

[ In Reply To ..]
If you work at home, about the only violation you could encounter would be an unencrypted email or other electronic file.

A HIPAA violation is an unauthorized release. It is not a potential or lossible release. Things said in notes, like names and numbers, are not HIPAA violations.

If you feel a provider released something on you, that would be different. There are explanations on the HHS site I linked below.

Could you be more transparent? - GG

[ In Reply To ..]
She doesn't need to share it here. If you are curious, just say so.

of course she doesn't need to share it here - transparent

[ In Reply To ..]
But most MTs have some confusion about what a HIPAA violation is. Plus, the OP sounded a little emotional about it, which is never a good time to make a decision. Depending on whom she works for, she could be considered a liability and/or unprofessional enough to lose her job.

I wonder why the dislikes on this post. Would you - want it reported if it were on you? SM

[ In Reply To ..]
What if it were your name on those reports?

I've seen so many times here where people are chewed out and/or a post deleted for posting something on this site that's a violation because it potentially identifies someone.

I'm looking at the other side of the coin, but apparently the dislikes only see one side with two faces?

JMHO

possible reasons - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I imagine most people find it tedious that the OP could not figure out how to report a HIPAA violation. Furthermore, the OP has already told us that she is preempting an argument by not telling us what the violation is - while telling us the violation doesn't matter.

Any of us would want it reported if it were us or a loved one. That's not the point here, though.

Yes, that's why I disliked it - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x
Disliked it because no juicy details provided? - That sounds about right. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Don't be silly. - Really...
[ In Reply To ..]
lack of "juicy" details? How odd to assume that. You must be projecting. I disliked because they asked for help yet were abrasive and condescending. They could have simply said "I'd rather not share the details." I guarantee there would not have been all the dislikes.

That is why I disliked it, too. - Details not a part of it

[ In Reply To ..]
I did not like the way it was worded. It made it seem that the OP thought HIPAA was silly and the employer's focus on it annoying, and that the OP's motivation was revenge.

No details were necessary. If the OP couldn't figure out how to report it, then it is likely she does not know what a HIPAA violation is. People were just trying to save her the embarrassment of reporting something bogus and possibly losing her job because of it.

You basically go HHS.gov website and they have an electronic - GG

[ In Reply To ..]
form you fill out with the who, what, where, when and why and your contact information, name, address, phone, etc. Then the HHS will contact you and investigate your claim. It's fairly simple.

You don't need to post the particulars here for the nosey nellies and you don't have to worry about looking foolish. The HHS investigates and if they feel it is a true violation, they will contact the offender and begin the violation protocol; fines, prosecution, etc.

I know all of this because I worked for a doctor's office. It was shared office space with another doctor's office - separate practices, but shared space. Long story short, the other doctor's nurse and front office clerk were notorious for gossiping about the patients, looking them up on facebook, etc. It was bad. Finally, I had one of their patients come to me practically in tears saying that while she was in the exam room, she heard the nurse and the clerk talking about her mother (who was also a patient) being a "drug seeker" and how the daughter was going "down the same road." They were speaking very loudly in a public area and everyone could hear. This woman who came to me had come to see the doctor because she had hurt her back at work and was in pain. The nurse and clerk made horrible and public assumptions about this woman.

I encouraged the woman to file a complaint and I myself filed one as well because I had enough of working with such unprofessional, infuriatingly stupid people. And the process was as I described above.

Good Luck!

Similar Messages:

HIPAA Violation...
Nov 11, 2013

I posted earlier about a HIPAA violation I believe the company I am subcontracting for is committing. I'm considering filing a complaint, but not sure what this would entail. Before I go too far into it, has anyone filed a complaint against an 'employer,' for lack of a better term, as I am a subcontractor & not an employee? This issue is weighing heavily on my mind. I do have proof of emails sent back and forth that are not encrypted or secured in any way containing reports with t ...

Anyone Accused Of A HIPAA Violation And Let Go?
Jun 22, 2010

x ...

Major HIPAA Violation By BCBS Of GA
Jun 26, 2010

So today I get a letter from BCBS of GA.  Whoops, they had a security breech on their website.  Someone "may have" gotten acccess to my name, SS #, and credit card info. They made "security changes to prevent it from happening again". They are offering me one free year of "identity protection" under Debix Identity Protection Network (has ANYONE out there every heard of this company?).  They want me to leap on to the DIPN website and give them all my information so they can prote ...

HIPAA Violation? I Requested My Medical Records
May 27, 2010

and paid to have them sent to me.  The last 20 pages were someone else's medical record.  I called the records dept and told the clerk, and she acted like it was no big deal and could I bring them back?  At first, I just wanted the extra 5 bux back that I paid for these (5 bux per 20 pages is what they charge).  Then I wondered if someone else got a part of MY medical record?  She assured me not.  This really sounds like a big fat HIPAA violation and I think th ...

Dictating With Kids In Room - HIPAA Violation?
May 26, 2013

So I just took a HIPAA course regarding the "new rules" regarding our liabilities and obligations under the law.  I often get dictations by doctors who are obviously working at home with their kids running freely (and loudly) through the room, and perhaps a caretaker's voice now and then.  If its a HIPAA violation for ME to have other people listening to dictation, isn't the doctor dictating in the presence of others who obviously have no business hearing that dictation a rep ...

HIPAA Violation? My HMO's Records Dept Accidentally Sent
Jan 10, 2015

instead of my own.  I called and told the person (it was the exact person that I had send the records)  and he acted like it was no big deal -- he just goes, "oh could you bring that back here today?"  Of course I will bring them back, but I think it was funny how he made it seem like there was nothing wrong with the scenario.  He probably thought I had no idea about HIPAA.  ...

Anyone Experiencing HIPAA Violation Threats Of Fines/termination?
Nov 11, 2009

Anyone experiencing HIPAA violation threats of fines/termination? ...

HIPAA - Need A Quick Check On HIPAA Rules
Oct 29, 2009

Hi, I need a quick check on HIPAA rules.  With respect to the health care debate, I want to write to my senator, etc., about a situation with a patient I transcribed on.  The only info. I intend to give is that the patient was a:  Russian immigrant, on welfare and receiving Medicaid benefits--when he should not have.  He and his "sponsor(s)" was responsible for his care and living expenses.  Further, I transcribed a note in which the doctor said that this patient wanted to re-sched ...

If I Start Some Coding Training, Do I Need To Start Learning ICD-9 Or ICD-10?
Jan 09, 2010

nm ...

Violation
Apr 08, 2010

I received an email too 2 days ago from ccm needing an explanation of why I had a patient's report open when I was not actively transcribing.  I know there was a night when I had signed out and I had a window still opened that I did not realize was opened.  I had minimized the window in case I needed the document again to refer to.   Geesh.  sometimes I don't even feel like wasting my time to search old reports.  I feel like its constant harrassment lately ...

HIPPA Violation?
Dec 22, 2009

I guess its not really something new, but as I was visiting a friend in the hospital yesterday a doc was sitting at the nurse's station just dictating away.  I clearly heard patient's name and identifying info and her entire medical history while standing outside the room waiting for nurse's to finish with my friend. ...

Has Anyone Got A HIPPA Violation
Apr 07, 2010

Has anyone else gotten a HIPPA violation for referencing old reports when typing an ESL ? ...

What Constitues An Ethics Violation?
Apr 21, 2010

Hello, One of my friends here at MQ was just put back on 100% QA after one bad audit.  Now, due to First Time Right, she will be making 3 cpl less for ALL HER LINES since it all is going to QA - except for that 10% allowance that she has. This is just SO not right!!!  How is anyone supposed to live on a pay cut like that?  For 8-9 cpl, it's a 30% pay cut! Is this reportable to anyone?  (If anyone would care...)  What can we do about this - besides quit? ...

Has Anyone Ever Reported Someone For A HIPPA Violation? (sm)
Aug 02, 2010

The daughter of a friend of mine works in the clinic that I worked at for 18 years in medical records is known to read charts and then tell others about what she has read.  For example, someone who has an STD that she knows, she has told lots of friends about it and I have heard it myself.  Does anyone have any idea what happens when you report someone for a violation?  I am sure that they take the person's name who is reporting it but can you tell me what else is ...

My Start Menu Is Sideways And My Desk Top Is Sieways As Well And The Start Menu Is In The Upper Righ
Aug 12, 2013

My start menu is in the upper right hand corner and the desk top is on the side.  How can I fix it? ...

Dictating Out Of Order
Dec 07, 2009

This is driving me crazy!  My main account has several docs that dictate their review of systems and PE out of body system order, like instead of the neck head down, they dictate the abdomen or extremities first.  ...

(s/l) *low Order* Ramp...SM
Aug 29, 2010

The patient exercised today on a 2-minute children’s treadmill protocol.  I chose this protocol since there is (s/l) *low-order* or *well-order* ramp which I thought would be less likely to cause pelvic discomfort. ...

First, Second, Third-order... Angiography
May 02, 2011

Can anybody enlighten me on what is meant by the first-order.... angiography?  I've been trying to google it and it doesn't really explain. ...

Job Order Question
Oct 07, 2011

Does anyone know the order in which we get our jobs?  I mean I know that they are not first come first serve because the times are off.  Thanks! ...

Where Can I Order Headphones
Dec 30, 2014

Where can I order headphones that are of good quality and will not need a second mortgage to afford?  Thanks ...

Will Order _____ Legionella
Jan 15, 2010

Dictator says:  I will order ____ legionella.  It sounds like for-seat-um legionella. ...

Order Of Reference Materials
May 07, 2010

I know I have come across the answer to this question in the past, but can't seem to put my fingers on it now......  1.  CP   2/3.  BOS then Standards OR Standards then BOS?  In reference to the q.h.s. question...  since all 3 references usually appear somewhere on each CP, would not q.h.s.  vs nightly depend on the order of reference materials used?  The vast majority of my CPs have "BOS and Standards" at top and JCAHO at the bottom. ...

What Software Do I Need In Order To Get A Few Clients Of My Own?
Jun 20, 2013

I was just wondering if I wanted to acquire a few clients on my own, what type of software do I need besides something like Express Scribe?  Those of you who have your own accounts, what do you use?   Thank you :) ...

How Do I Upgrade In Order To See Swap Board? NM
Apr 09, 2010

No message ...

Transcribe Headings In Order Dictated?
Dec 05, 2010

I see this now at the top of some reports.  Anyone have any idea what this means exactly?  I remember reading about it in the DQS 6.1 update, but my screen looks nothing like that.  I've just been transcribing as usual.  ????  Am I missing something? ...

Why Aren't The Archives In Date Order?
Oct 31, 2011

Looking through archives here for info on a couple of companies, who uses ChartNet and so forth... there is NO order to the way posts are listed.  Why is that?  It should be an easy fix and soooooooooo helpful! ...

Question- Order Of Headings In Consult/H&P
Aug 26, 2012

I have a couple dictators who dictate impression/plan at the beginning of their reports. This comes through in ASR and so I have been leaving these at the beginning of the report even though it is not the way I was taught to do traditional H&P, consultation reports. I am not on a verbatim account. Also, the client profile does not mention this at all. Is it okay to leave the imp/plan at the top of report, or should I change these? ...

Flip Switch In Order To Use 2 Computers
Oct 29, 2012

Just bought Flip USB with audio KVM switch in order to be able to have 1 dedicated computer for work only and the other computer for unrelated work items. Have never used one of these before and just wondering if you were in your work program on 1, if you switch over to the other computer for say checking email, does the work computer shut down? I would hate for that to happen and perhaps lose work. Thanks. ...

MModal Guidelines Order Of Importance
Feb 12, 2014

With all this talk of people being audited more frequently, including myself.  I thought I'd try to help out a little.  MModal follows 4 documents when it comes to formatting, and they are really cracking down on it.  They have a certain order in which to follow, one trumping the other.  If you can't find what you are looking for in the first document, move on to the next one.  Here's the order: 1.  Client profile - this will list any exceptions to t ...

What Do You Get When You Order Instant Text From The Fitaly Site?
Jun 22, 2010

The site talks about how it works and how much it costs, but I don't see whether you get a link to a download or if they send you a copy on CD, and does it come with a hard-copy manual, or just a help file? It's a lot of money to spend, so I'd really like a better idea of what I'll be getting for it. Is their support good? Thanks. ...