A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

"5 professional references" - sm

Posted: May 03, 2012

Isn't that a bit of overkill?

No - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
It's standard practice. If one of your references can't be reached, it gives them 2 more choices.

I dunno, but - Seriously

[ In Reply To ..]
My husband has had to provide at one place TEN. I thought that was a lot. I don't know if they even call them because I've never had one of my references tell me they were called.

Overkill - Weary MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I think that's overkill. If someone has that many "professional references," they've been going from job to job.
Not necessarily - Seriously
[ In Reply To ..]
He implements systems and is a traveling engineer, so basically he spends 2-3 months on one project and is off to the next. He has been offered positions at places he's implemented the systems, at, but really they (and yes I'm super proud of him) can't afford him, not necessarily because of salary, but he likes the changing environment (he's also been at this over 20 years).
I'm bonded for a bank job back in 1975; my finger- - prints permanently on file. I HAVE to be honest!
[ In Reply To ..]

For a high manegerial position, it might fly. But for - a low-income worker like an MT? OVERKILL.

[ In Reply To ..]
It's especially problematic if you were an employee for a long time at your last job. My best professional references have either retired, died, or moved away and I lost touch with them.

Just one more way longevity stabs MTs in the back.

I think it's overkill too for most jobs - Seriously

[ In Reply To ..]
One of my sisters in law had to do a credit check, a background check, and a felony check for a position at a dollar store (I don't know which one as there are 4 in her area of different names). They wanted she said three professional references and she has never supposedly been asked that, so she used her friends. I doubt they'd know any difference.

I do know states are starting to implement laws against preforming credit checks to employees and I have to say I'm for it. My theory is that there are a myriad of reasons someone could have bad credit and a thief, especially an identity one, could have good credit.

I don't even HAVE 5 professional references! - mamabear

[ In Reply To ..]
I've been an MT at home with the same company for nearly 15 years. I've had two supervisors during that time, one of which is my current supervisor and the other one retired and I have no contact information on her. I had one job before this, and that supervisor is also retired (I do keep in touch with her).

I haven't had any coworkers for the last 15 years (obviously) and the ones from my one previous job I haven't kept in touch with so it would be kind of weird calling them up after 15 years to ask them to give me a reference!

If someone asks me for 5 references, I'd be in trouble!

Professional references - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
Do not necessarily mean co-workers. They can be current managers, former managers, doctors who know your work, people in other professions/occupations in your community who know you, etc. I haven't had a lot of jobs but I know that even years ago when I changed MT jobs, most employers asked for 3 professional references and 1 or 2 personal references.

Similar Messages:

How Do I List Professional References On A Job App If I Don't Know My Coworkers?
Sep 04, 2012

I have worked at home for 15+ years and other than occasional email exchanges between me and a supervisor I have no contact with other people at my company or even on my account.  I was filling out a job application the other day and it wanted three professional references other than the supervisors.  I was completely lost and had to leave it blank.  Has anyone else run into this, and how do you handle it? ...

References
Jul 18, 2013

I have had NUMEROUS MT jobs and I usually "jump ship" when things get bad, work runs out, etc., and it has gotten to the point where I have no references that I feel would say positive things.  Does anyone else have this problem?  I am actually trying to get a job in the "outside world" but everyone wants "references" and it is hard to explain that these transcription companies are not even in my same state, they no absolutely nothing about me, so it makes it very difficult.   ...

No References?
Apr 24, 2014

Okay, so what do you do if you have no "work" references because every company you have worked for previously has gone out of business?   They specifically want "work" references, not personal (no friends, relatives, clergy, etc.)   ...

Better Have 3 References
Sep 27, 2014

I could not upload my application and resume due to not having 3 references.  ...

ORTHOPEDIC REFERENCES
Mar 26, 2010

I am going to start doing orthopedics next week and I am just wondering does anyone have any reference websites they would share. Thanks in advance. ...

References For Psychiatry
Apr 26, 2012

About to start doing psychiatry and was wondering if anybody has any suggestions for good references and quick guides. ...

Pharmaceutical References
Nov 13, 2014

Does anyone recommend a good website to refer to when looking up generic/brand name drugs?  JMJ ...

Why So Much Pressure About References?
Jan 18, 2015

I'm baffled...I applied with Patient First through Careerbuilder.  I had recruiters pursuing me for months, I get back to them and they tell me I'll be coming to Virginia for testing that I did awesome on the first test, yada yada yada...then I get a call from HR because I didn't fill out the profile on the Patient First website, and now they're all gung ho about references!  I worked at the same MTSO for over 6 years - there's a lot of turnover in MTSO's, ...

About References. MT Over 25 Years And Have None
Mar 25, 2015

I initially went to work as an MT in-house for a practice in 1990.  They outsourced to a company that I went to work for in 2000.  The medical practice was bought by a hospital, so switched their work to another facility.  I continued to work at home for CyMed.  They were sold to SPi, who eventually closed shop.  I left in 2009 to work for Meridian Health Solutions.  In 2013, Meridian sold out to MM, and here I sit at MM, who states they ONLY verify employment, and ...

On Line References
May 31, 2015

Are there any programs/books you could recommend that go the computer.  I had retired, but now seeking work again and unfortunately got rid of my reference books!  Thanks ...

Neurology & Neurosurgery References
Feb 26, 2010

I am picking up a new clinic and I am hoping those of you who have been doing Neuro/Neurosurg might be able to suggest some of your favorite links for these specialties.  I am very excited about the new clinic, but pretty nervous too.  There is so much to learn.   Any ideas on where I can find the best references in these fields?  Thanks in advance.... ...

CMT Exam, No References For Transcription?
Nov 28, 2010

Is it true that on the CMT exam, during the transcription portion, that you cannot use any references or a spellchecker? If so, how is that even possible? ...

Question About Cypress References
Aug 03, 2012

The job wtih Cypress sounds interesting; however, I am just curious about the references being "physician references."  I have been working at home for about 20 years and my references are all MTSO-type references.  Do they overlook this or does it actually have to be doctors?   Thanks. ...

Nuance Horrible For References
Feb 12, 2014

Nuance is horrible for giving references needed for new job but should have figured.  Now they are holding me back from getting another job how nice, glad they can manage ti pay their bills but hold others back frim doing the same!!! ...

Legal Transcription - Good Website References
May 16, 2012

Hi!  I used to work for MQ, frequented this board often and appreciated the sound advice.  I have since retired from the medical transcription industry.  Recently I was asked to transcribe some recorded conversations that will ultimately be read aloud in court for a child custody case.  I'm not worried about the actual transcribing, just about proper formatting and such.  I would also like to know an approximate amount to charge, i.e., by the line, by the page, by the hour, etc.?  C ...

Help? I Need Two Names To Give As References. I Live In The Country
Feb 09, 2013

supervisor at a company I've been with for years, the others having disappeared with a wave of the corporate wand at various times. I haven't told her I'm leaving yet and am a little afraid of the reaction; she's good at her job but can be...volatile. So, if anyone could help me, please e-mail, and I'd be happy to reciprocate.  ...

Getting References Is Hard When All The MTSOs I Worked For Are Closed
Mar 25, 2013

So I'm applying for a substitute position with my local school system and they want two professional references.  I don't want to ask the current MTSO I work for, nor the physicians in my private accounts.  I've worked for this MTSO for 5 years, a pretty significant length of time considering.  So I'm looking at my resume over the last 10 years and there are five companies closed/bought out. I have been in contact with a company I worked for from 1997 to 2003 ...

How Professional Doc
Jun 11, 2013

I can still her you and really is unprofessional. ...

Professional Transcrptions Of NW FL
Mar 29, 2010

Compensation is .05 cents for every 43 black characters.  Who would want this job?  Maybe they will get a lot of applicants from India.    Saw this advertised on an MT related job board.  ...

PROFESSIONAL LICENSE
Dec 03, 2010

We should really push for professional licensure for this job like RNs, Rad Techs, RTs, RD, and CNAs.    Hospital and clinics require these people to be licensed… then why not us?  May this will stop shipping work abroad.  ...

Professional Transcription Services
Mar 31, 2010

Any info on this company?  TIA! ...

Professional Dictation Associates?
Apr 07, 2010

Hello, Does anyone have any updated info on this company?  I couldn't find much in the archives, aside from one post by someone else looking for info.  Anything will be appreciated.    Tx!  :) ...

Lack Of Professional Etiquette
Mar 22, 2011

Has professional business etiquette really slipped so far?  I can't tell you how many times I have applied to a posting for a job on here or have emailed my supervisor/authority figure at work and never even received an email back acknowledging my email was received. How hard is it to say....Thank you for your concerns. I know that we need to discuss them, and I will get in contact with you shortly to do so.  OR  Thanks for applying to the position or thanks for sending your ...

No So Professional Regarding Shower Gifts
Feb 28, 2012

I just do not think its professional to send out emails regarding gifts for a baby.  If so many people asked why not just send them an email via their own personal email or a phone call.  Why do we all have to know where we can register for gifts.  They are not so employee friendly with us in other ways.  Think about it.  ...

TTS - Friendly, Polite, Yet Professional
Mar 10, 2012

Earlier this week TTS contacted me asking if I was interested in working with them (I had applied back in 2010 and due to various working conditions offered, I had declined the position). However, this offer, I must say, was most attractive. I read the post below; however, after talking with the recruiter I found: a.  She was most knowledgeable and helpful with my questions, friendly, polite, yet professional. b.  Pay offered was close to 10 cpl (straight text) and close to 5 cpl (VR).  ...

Professional Dictation Associates
Aug 19, 2012

This is some of the worst audio I have EVER heard in my 30+ years in this business.  I have sent emails and IM's but "apparently, the problem is on my end, becuase everything is as clear as a bell."   NOT!  Short, clippy, clinic notes, and QA pickier than all get out.  I notated a tempate where I thought there was an incorrect spelling and was called on the carpet was that -- actually QA was wrong.  With the amount of lines they expect as an IC per day, it is ridiculous and of course, ...

Cornerstone Professional Services
Jun 04, 2013

I am greatly disheartened that you still have comments from when an old supervisor was there and that is hurting our company.  We place adds with you all on occasion and would like to know how to reply to some of these nasty comments.  At least give a company a chance to defend themselves from old disgruntled transcribers.  Seems a bit one-sided.  Some of these comments are borderline slanderous. ...

Windows 7 Premium Vs. Professional..please Help....
Aug 16, 2014

The computer I just bought has Windows 7 premium.  Now I'm wondering if most companies want the professional edition?  Ugh, then I'd have to buy that separately.  Can anyone tell me if companies mean premium home version or professional version when they say Windows 7 required?  TIA! ...

Anyone Know Of Professional Medical Transcription, INC
Sep 14, 2014

Have searched everywhere on this company but have found nothing but job opportunities.  Anyone know anything?  Are they good to work with?  Pay scale?  Thank you ...

Professional Medical Transcription, INC
Sep 16, 2014

I have searched archives, not finding anything.  Does anyone have any information on PMT please?  Thank you. ...