A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

getting references is hard when all the MTSOs I worked for are closed - IC-AL

Posted: Mar 25, 2013

So I'm applying for a substitute position with my local school system and they want two professional references. 

I don't want to ask the current MTSO I work for, nor the physicians in my private accounts.  I've worked for this MTSO for 5 years, a pretty significant length of time considering.  So I'm looking at my resume over the last 10 years and there are five companies closed/bought out.

I have been in contact with a company I worked for from 1997 to 2003, and they are willing to write a reference, so there is one reference. I'm pulling at straws here.  I have a call into the recruiter to ask if a current coworker can write one for me. 

I don't expect anyone to have an answer.  I just wanted to write this down where others might understand or be in the same situation.  I'm wondering if the moral of the story here is be sure to secure a professional reference before your MTSO closes/sells (which you'd have to be a mind reader to do that before they announce it, right?)

Here is what I do - see message

[ In Reply To ..]
I know what you mean. This is even harder when applying online because you can't explain anything.

The only thing I put on a resume is "references available upon request."

If a reference is required at the same time as the applying process, and you can possibly fit it in, put your client's/supervisor's name and try to work in that the phone number given is the last contact number you have for that person.

That's what I do.

References - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Most employers want a reference they can contact themselves, not a letter written in the past. The days of providing old, written letters started going out when phones came in.

Professional references do not need to be employers. I would just find other people, preferably reputable ones, who know of your work.

I was asked just last week to serve as a professional reference. I gave the individual my contact information along with the correct form of my name, my credentials, and my job title. With that, the employer can contact me. In most cases, they won't.

I can't even call them for an interview until I have - IC-AL

[ In Reply To ..]
the references in writing. They must be on letterhead or sent by email. The recruiter did tell me I could get anyone to do the reference (her examples: Pastor, daycare worker, coworker, etc.) so I will ask my coworker/friend to send an email for me for the second reference.

In addition to getting the two references submitted, I have to pay for and be finger printed and have a copy of my high school diploma (which I have). In fact, the instructions say that once I have all these items lined up, I will call them for an orientation appointment, meaning the only step left would be scheduling me to work.

This is all very stressful just for a substitute position, but I need it so I can apply for the next full-time position that becomes available in my district. I really need health insurance.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for you - and sending up a prayer

[ In Reply To ..]
You got this!
thank you, really means a lot - IC-AL
[ In Reply To ..]
My mom was on hospice care for 23 months before she died last month. I feel like I've been on a battleground all that time. It really means a lot that you are rooting for me :)
I know all about the stress of a loved one - in hospice care SM
[ In Reply To ..]
I am rooting for you too!! One step at a time. :)

References - 2tiredMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Why would you not ask your clients? I have numerous clients, and when I asked them for a Letter of Reference, they have only been too happy to provide it, especially if I type it for them....at no charge.

I wish you luck!

I probably could but - IC-AL

[ In Reply To ..]
I feel lately that I have been extending their good graces lately. My mom just passed the last week of February and I took off two weeks. They were so sweet and understanding and extremely! patient with me. In fact, one client (a surgery center) just added their main doctor to the pool that same week. He was backed up two months with the other MT and they told me not to worry, just do it when I could get to it. As of tomorrow, I will be completely caught up with him. I will continue my private accounts even if I get hired, because the lunch room lady job only pays $13/hr. I'm a single mom with a 9 yo adopted child. Shoes these days for kids are expensive!

oops, that reminds me, I will need scrubs to wear...

Similar Messages:

References
Jul 18, 2013

I have had NUMEROUS MT jobs and I usually "jump ship" when things get bad, work runs out, etc., and it has gotten to the point where I have no references that I feel would say positive things.  Does anyone else have this problem?  I am actually trying to get a job in the "outside world" but everyone wants "references" and it is hard to explain that these transcription companies are not even in my same state, they no absolutely nothing about me, so it makes it very difficult.   ...

No References?
Apr 24, 2014

Okay, so what do you do if you have no "work" references because every company you have worked for previously has gone out of business?   They specifically want "work" references, not personal (no friends, relatives, clergy, etc.)   ...

Better Have 3 References
Sep 27, 2014

I could not upload my application and resume due to not having 3 references.  ...

ORTHOPEDIC REFERENCES
Mar 26, 2010

I am going to start doing orthopedics next week and I am just wondering does anyone have any reference websites they would share. Thanks in advance. ...

References For Psychiatry
Apr 26, 2012

About to start doing psychiatry and was wondering if anybody has any suggestions for good references and quick guides. ...

Pharmaceutical References
Nov 13, 2014

Does anyone recommend a good website to refer to when looking up generic/brand name drugs?  JMJ ...

Why So Much Pressure About References?
Jan 18, 2015

I'm baffled...I applied with Patient First through Careerbuilder.  I had recruiters pursuing me for months, I get back to them and they tell me I'll be coming to Virginia for testing that I did awesome on the first test, yada yada yada...then I get a call from HR because I didn't fill out the profile on the Patient First website, and now they're all gung ho about references!  I worked at the same MTSO for over 6 years - there's a lot of turnover in MTSO's, ...

About References. MT Over 25 Years And Have None
Mar 25, 2015

I initially went to work as an MT in-house for a practice in 1990.  They outsourced to a company that I went to work for in 2000.  The medical practice was bought by a hospital, so switched their work to another facility.  I continued to work at home for CyMed.  They were sold to SPi, who eventually closed shop.  I left in 2009 to work for Meridian Health Solutions.  In 2013, Meridian sold out to MM, and here I sit at MM, who states they ONLY verify employment, and ...

On Line References
May 31, 2015

Are there any programs/books you could recommend that go the computer.  I had retired, but now seeking work again and unfortunately got rid of my reference books!  Thanks ...

Neurology & Neurosurgery References
Feb 26, 2010

I am picking up a new clinic and I am hoping those of you who have been doing Neuro/Neurosurg might be able to suggest some of your favorite links for these specialties.  I am very excited about the new clinic, but pretty nervous too.  There is so much to learn.   Any ideas on where I can find the best references in these fields?  Thanks in advance.... ...

CMT Exam, No References For Transcription?
Nov 28, 2010

Is it true that on the CMT exam, during the transcription portion, that you cannot use any references or a spellchecker? If so, how is that even possible? ...

Question About Cypress References
Aug 03, 2012

The job wtih Cypress sounds interesting; however, I am just curious about the references being "physician references."  I have been working at home for about 20 years and my references are all MTSO-type references.  Do they overlook this or does it actually have to be doctors?   Thanks. ...

Nuance Horrible For References
Feb 12, 2014

Nuance is horrible for giving references needed for new job but should have figured.  Now they are holding me back from getting another job how nice, glad they can manage ti pay their bills but hold others back frim doing the same!!! ...

How Do I List Professional References On A Job App If I Don't Know My Coworkers?
Sep 04, 2012

I have worked at home for 15+ years and other than occasional email exchanges between me and a supervisor I have no contact with other people at my company or even on my account.  I was filling out a job application the other day and it wanted three professional references other than the supervisors.  I was completely lost and had to leave it blank.  Has anyone else run into this, and how do you handle it? ...

MT To Closed Captioning?
Jul 27, 2010

I have been doing some research on closed captioning and CART jobs/career. I searched the archives here, also. Does anyone know, however, if one needs to be a court reporter in order to learn the above jobs?  I'm wondering if one can learn stenography, etc., in some type of program without going through the entire curriculum of court reporting. Thanks! ...

MTEC Closed
May 06, 2014

I graduated from there 3 years ago.  Gave up on a MT career but still get their employment opportunity emails.  The one today said they're closed.  News to me.  Anyone know why?  ...

MTEC Is Closed
May 08, 2014

Their last day was May 5.  It looks like they're closing down services to grads, too, something I thought would never go away.  In my mind, there is no doubt transcription is a sinking ship.  ...

Closed Captioning
Mar 29, 2015

Hey all, just a thought - if you're all tired of these transcription companies, it seems that closed captioning/court reporting out of your home is the way to go. I recently checked into this and it is very lucrative and you don't have to deal with outsourcing, low pay, all the "fun stuff" that medical transcription has to NOT offer. And, if you have a medical background, you get paid more as we are in high demand and would mean more pay. Again, just a thought and am definitely excited ...

Legal Transcription - Good Website References
May 16, 2012

Hi!  I used to work for MQ, frequented this board often and appreciated the sound advice.  I have since retired from the medical transcription industry.  Recently I was asked to transcribe some recorded conversations that will ultimately be read aloud in court for a child custody case.  I'm not worried about the actual transcribing, just about proper formatting and such.  I would also like to know an approximate amount to charge, i.e., by the line, by the page, by the hour, etc.?  C ...

Help? I Need Two Names To Give As References. I Live In The Country
Feb 09, 2013

supervisor at a company I've been with for years, the others having disappeared with a wave of the corporate wand at various times. I haven't told her I'm leaving yet and am a little afraid of the reaction; she's good at her job but can be...volatile. So, if anyone could help me, please e-mail, and I'd be happy to reciprocate.  ...

Closed With 2-0 Nylon Suture Followed By
Dec 04, 2011

nm ...

Does Anyone One Know Any Companies That Do Closed Captioning?
Apr 04, 2014

I see some listed online but not sure what's legit.  Want to branch out from MT work. TIA. ...

The Tax Loopholes HAVE BEEN CLOSED Effective 2011!!
Aug 26, 2010

The bill has finally passed.  It is not illegal for companies to offshore, it is just not so profitable for them to do so.   ...

Closed Book Ortho Exam
Sep 04, 2011

I thought I had found a reference indicating a "closed-book" exam for SI joint pain.  Now I can't find it and I have been using it for a couple of weeks  and I don't know whether I found it or just thought I had found it.  Anybody familiar with it? ...

Closed-captioning With Speech-recognition
Jul 11, 2012

Hey guys, the other day I tested a software program called VoxcribeCC, it works well on videos. If you do closed captioning or subtitling, it really eases the task with its speech recognition and time stamping functions. Accuracy is pretty high. I think it is way more powerful than dragon  ...

Has Anyone Heard Anything About Typing Closed Captioning
Aug 29, 2014

Would that maybe be an option for those of us in need for work? That's not something I'd think would be going away and I remember hearing years ago that the pay was better than MT.  Though what's happened to that field in the years since, I have no clue.  I just can't imagine that every being outsourced. ...

Since The Window To Request Thanksgiving Has Closed
Oct 22, 2014

and the window to request Christmas is about to open, and the new rule our "scheduler" made up is that we can only take one of them, it would be nice if she would PROCESS THE THANKSGIVING REQUESTS SO WE KNOW IF WE CAN REQUEST CHRISTMAS OR NOT.    On a side note, since we can only take one of them, I suspect because she thinks it will make her job easier, that's going to throw way too many people working on completely dead holidays, which will lead to her having to fill out a ton ...

S/l Closed Tang Quads (some Type Of Exercise)
Mar 18, 2010

I have recommended that she start on a very vigorous exercise program including S/L closed tang quads and hip stabilizing exercises as well as walking and aerobic-type exercises.   tia.   ...

I Wonder If AHDI Could Be Closed And Reopened Structured As A Union
Sep 12, 2012

It would only work if we kept the skeleton of the organization, throughout anyone in any position of authority who has ever gone overseas or been part of sending work overseas. They would not be eligible to serve in any capacity. We would benefit from the albeit small membership still there and could build from that point. In a union, the members are the boss. If the leaders don't act in our interests, they will be gone. Why wouldn't that work? I think it would be too difficult to st ...

So.........corporate Offices Are Closed Today. Bet They Are Paid For It And NOT From Their PTO.
Jan 20, 2014

x ...