A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Is the RHIA worth going to school for? - sm

Posted: Aug 13, 2012

I'm a former MT who has been in school working towards AA in HIT and will sit for my RHIT this winter.  I am considering contiuing my education and getting my bachelor's degree and going for the RHIA, but is it worth it?  I currently work in medical records and when I get my RHIT I will be a coder where I work.  Two more years of school just seems daunting and exhausting to me, but then I wonder if RHIA would be a good career move.  Any thoughts?

Informatics is the way to go - transitioning MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm finishing up my AA and sitting for the RHIT soon too. I researched options and decided the RHIA might be redundant educationally. Univ. of Cincinnati has a bridge program that will apply alot of your AA classes. Look into Govenors Univ too. They have accelerated classes. Also, think about capitalizing on your experience and education and further it with a bachelors in Health Informatics to emphasize Electronic Medical Records. This will put you ahead of the curve. Hope this helps.

Similar Messages:

Best School To Get Online Bacherlor's In RHIA Besides WGU?
Jul 25, 2013

Which school (that offers the program online) is the best to get an RHIA besides Western Governor's University? I'm not interested in going there. ...

Is It Worth It To Go Back To School And Accumulate Tons Of
Sep 26, 2013

I really, really, really want to go back to school.  Problem is, I'm a single parent living on my one income which is going down pretty much every month.  Being an MT just isn't working anymore.  I want to go back to school, but in order to do that, I would need to take out some serious student loans just to help me pay my bills, let alone pay the school debt.  I have an AA degree already, so I think it would take me about 2 more years to get my bachelor's degr ...

Coding Salary Compared To MLS/ Is It Worth The Cost Of School?
Nov 22, 2014

I currently work at Nuance.  Was a TL (transcription lead), now in Quality, getting paid hourly.  Everyone is moving to production pay soon which is scaring the bejesus out of us all.  Is the difference in salary as a coder (even as entry level) worth it enough to invest in schooling and change careers or should I just be looking for an entirely different career?  How long before you can start making more?  How hard is it to get licensed?  I am a pretty quick study ...

To Get A Job With An RHIA
Sep 21, 2012

would I need a Bachelor's degree in something else. I have seen this as a qualification on some jobs. To be honest, I am not sure what jobs would be open to me if I had an RHIA. Any help and/or direction is greatly appreciated. Thanks. ...

Should I Become A RHIA??? Need Help Please
Jul 30, 2014

Hi, I am thinking of getting a bachelor's degree in Health Information Management and becoming a certified RHIA. I was wondering if anyone currently working as a RHIA can tell me: 1) Is it hard to find a job after you finish school and get certified? 2) About how much money can you expect to make? Hi, I  am thinking of getting a bachelor's degree in Health Information Management and becoming a certified RHIA. I was wondering if anyone currently working as a RHIA can tell ...

WGU RHIA Program
Jun 02, 2013

Has anyone here gone through WGU and become a RHIA?  I am currently a RHIT, but I'm thinking of furthering my education.  I really like computers and technology and I think this looks like a good program.  I just wonder if RHIA is worth it because I see a lot of jobs require either RHIT or RHIA. ...

Just Did It..going Back For My RHIA Sm
Jan 01, 2015

I can't stand this industry and what it has become. I am sick of making peanuts for thoughtless people.  I will hold on to my job while I have to but I signed up to go back and finish my Bachelor's degree so I can become an RHIA and get into coding or corporate.  I need more open doors.  I have an A.A.S. in HIT but that hasn't opened many doors.  ...

Should I Skip The RHIT And Go For RHIA?
May 09, 2012

So, I'm confused and could use some advice.  I am in an accredited HIT program all online to receive my AA degree and sit for the RHIT.  I have just two semesters left to complete the program.  I am very unhappy with the education I have received, and I am not sure I could even pass the RHIT.  I am considering quitting this program and enrolling in a bachelor program where I can sit for the RHIA (it's a healthcare informatics degree through WGU).  I am wonderin ...

CCA, CCS, CPC, RHIA, Informatics Question
Jan 30, 2014

I am thinking about going into health informatics. I've been looking at the program through WGU. Through their program, you complete your CCA credential before graduation. You would also qualify for your RHIA certification when you graduate. They state that a CCS or CCA credential will satisfy the coding courses in the program. Would it be better to do the coding portion of the informatics degree through a program that prepares you to pass the CCS and CPC (like Andrews) or would you know ad ...

Texas State University RHIA
Sep 28, 2012

I learned yesterday that the TSU post baccaulaureate certificate requires only 15 hours.  Wow.  I can't stop thinking about it.  I'm going to see if I can get accepted (yes I live in Texas).  ...

RHIT/RHIA Program That Also Prepares For CCS?
Feb 19, 2014

I am a current MT and am looking to start the transition to coding/HIM.  I already have a bachelor's degree in business. I know I would like to work in hospital coding, at least initially, so I want a very good foundation in coding.  This always leads me to Andrews school, as I definitely want to obtain the CCS to help my prospects.  However, I am also open to other possible opportunities in HIM, and it seems that an HIM degree/RHIT or RHIA would be beneficial to have in tha ...

Medtrans MT School? Anyone Heard Of This? Looking To Start MT School That Is Affordable.
Dec 21, 2011

:) ...

Has Anyone Ever Gone Through Allied School For Coding? Other School Recommendations?
Jun 24, 2014

I was wondering if anyone has ever gone through Allied School in California for billing & coding.  If so, how was your experience?  Were you able to find work in coding after finishing the course and getting your certification?  I have been a medical transcriptionist for the past 10-11 years and am now looking at getting into coding.  My best friend and I are going to take a course together.   If you wouldn't recommend Allied as a school, who would you reco ...

Coding School - Considering Going To A School
Sep 22, 2011

I am an MT who is considering going to school for coding.  I am thinking about taking the course through Andrews and will probably start next year because I will have to save up some of the money.  I am wondering if you think coding may eventually go the way of medical transcription and be outsourced to India.  I do not think it will so I just wanted to get the opinions of other coders.  I realize it will be a hard course but I think it will be worth the effort.  Any thoughts would be appre ...

Sum CDs Worth?
Nov 25, 2009

I was a student at M-TEC and dropped out. I have all 3 SUM CDs still. One is opened and 2 are still sealed. I just don't know what these are worth and can't find anyone selling them that has a listed price anywhere. Thanks in advance for your help on this!   ...

Is It Worth It?
Feb 18, 2012

Editing at .04 cpl, is it worth it? For 250 lines per hour, that is $10 an hour. Maybe that is good considering we work at home? Seeking opinions, please. Not trying to start a war. ...

What We Are Worth
Mar 08, 2012

I invite any person of management in any MTSO to sit at their computer for an entire shift and see what we go through day after day and see if they feel they are being paid a proper, living wage.  There are way too many factors that eat into the paltry wage we start out with, and it's high time this was recognized as an occupational hazard and we are duly compensated.  It's only going to get worse, not better, if something isn't done.  Of course, I realize nobody r ...

Getting Out Is So Worth It
Mar 20, 2012

Looking for a job is terrifying, heart-in-throat time.  On the other hand...you discover there are jobs with YEARLY EVALUATIONS (yes!)...RAISES (double yes!)...PROMOTIONAL OPPORTUNITIES (I can't believe it!)...absolutely stunning, you don't realize how brainwashed you are, how hammered you are, till you GET OUT. Scared...but free. Don't think of it as shaking like a leaf.  Think of it as fluttering like a butterfly. ...

We Are Worth More
Apr 22, 2012

We are worth more in so many ways.  I am very disheartened with the way things have changed in our profession.  We used to be paid much better, and have a better chance of moving up the ladder as well.  Now we are almost at poverty level on wages.  I really don't understand how anyone can expect people who are very highly trained and specialized in this field to live on what we are being paid, or to treat us as if we are second-class citizens.  I would challenge any ...

What You Are Worth
May 12, 2012

I'm curious.  How many of you cheering on this lawsuit think that things will change in a way that you will be paid "what you are worth?"  And what are you worth?  I mean seriously?  Is someone who does a lousy job as valuable as someone who does a stellar job?  Is someone with a shoddy education as valuable as someone with a first-class education?  How about those with no formal education at all? What is it you all think you will really accomplish with a law ...

New MT Is It Worth It?
Aug 18, 2012

I graduated a year and a half ago from a very good MT school. I graduated with high honors and felt ready to tackle this profession. I wanted to do this because it has always been my dream to be a stay at home mom and with this profession I felt like I got the best of both worlds. When I researched MT are suposed to make 30K or more. So I figured as a newbie maybe 20K or even 18K. Wow was I wrong. I got hired about 2 months out of school which was a huge relief but things rapidly went down hill. ...

CMT Worth It?
Sep 08, 2012

I'm getting ready to buckle down and study for my CMT.  I got my RMT this spring and promised myself that I would get the CMT before I forgot too much.  I'm having trouble motivating myself to memorize all the abbreviations (this seems to be a favorite type of question), so I'm wondering how folks who have their CMT feel about whether or not it has helped them with their career or not.  Thanks for encouragement or discouragement.  I'd really like to know. ...

This Just Isn't Worth It
May 04, 2013

I have over 30 years experience.  I have worked in 2 major hospitals and as an independent contractor.  I know what I am doing.  Problem is, I am human.  I make mistakes.  But with this company, 1 mistake is huge.  It can bring your accuracy score down below their guidelines.  Just for a left out word that does not change the context.   I have just about had enough.  I really don't have to be talked to like a toddler when I make a mistake.&n ...

Is It Worth It To MME?
Jul 27, 2013

I currently make 9 cpl but curious if it would be worth it to jump over to MME.  Thanks ...

What Are We Worth?
Aug 22, 2013

I would love to hear from my fellow MTs what you think we are worth, not by the line but by the hour.  Indeed as I was doing research regarding "piece work" in America, I found very little information except that it went back to the guild system. However, I did learn that in England, if you do piece work (cpl, for example) and you are required to sign in and sign out, you cannot be paid for production, but only an hourly wage.  So what do you think we are worth? Let's consider whe ...

Is CMT Certification Worth It?
Feb 14, 2010

What are your feelings about obtaining your CMT credentials when VR (at least with my employer) doesn't follow BOS or acknowledge the styles, forms and practices that, at one time were the norm? I get blown away with sentence structure and grammar these days.  Do you think one should become certified with the latest trend with VR?  Seems to me "No", not worth it, unless I moved on to a company who did not use VR. But, then again, if this is the trend hospitals and companies a ...

Is RHIT Worth It?
Sep 13, 2010

The hospital where I live has 4 openings for coders, but they all require that you have an RHIT certification.  I know in order to have this you must have an AA degree.  How many of you have this and would it be better to have this rather than study at Andrews or Career Step? ...

BOS 3 Worth Buying?
Nov 15, 2010

Is it worth purchasing the BOS 3 before I start testing?  I have looked online to see what others have said, and it seems like most have said they wouldn't spend the money because it's not that different from the 2nd version.  One person said they read the book and saw only 2 changes from the previous edition.  I'm not sure what to do.  I'm worried that I'm going to need the newer version to pass the test.  Just wanted to see what others have don ...

Is This Profession Even Worth It?
Nov 19, 2010

I have to say this is my first time to this website and I am deeply discouraged by the forums I have read because it sounds like this line of work is basically dying a slow death. I am currently enrolled in a community college and am about to finish getting my certificate ( I am in my last class which is practice/internship) to become a Medical Transcriptionist but I'm beginning to wonder if it was worth it? I already had fears because of accounts going offshore and EMRs but reading some of ...

Current CMT's - Is It Worth It?
Jan 08, 2011

If I take the CMT test the goal is to increase my income from my current earnings as a full time MT/ME.  But is it worth the $$ and time required to prepare for and take the CMT test?  I am confident that I would have no problem passing the test after adequate review, etc. So is it worth the effort?  Bottom line -- it will cost money to take the exam and it will cost money to either enroll in a review course or buy review materials to prepare for the exam. And the CMT credential ...