A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Just did it..going back for my RHIA sm - Eyeontheprize

Posted: Jan 01, 2015

I can't stand this industry and what it has become. I am sick of making peanuts for thoughtless people.  I will hold on to my job while I have to but I signed up to go back and finish my Bachelor's degree so I can become an RHIA and get into coding or corporate.  I need more open doors.  I have an A.A.S. in HIT but that hasn't opened many doors. 

well that is great - but

[ In Reply To ..]
you don't need a bachelor's for coding.

Are you an RHIT? - You can code with that.

[ In Reply To ..]
If you have an AAS in HIT, did you take the RHIT exam and pass it? If so, you have enough for coding already.

Never took the test sm - OP

[ In Reply To ..]
I got my degree in 2007 and never took the RHIT and am sooooo rusty. I could go back and take refresher courses and try to get the RHIT but that's a lot of money to throw away if I fail. I just figured I'd get my Bachelor's and move into something supervisory.

That is why the doors did not open. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
It really isn't fair to say that doors did not open when you did not take the test to get the key to the lock.

You don't need to take "refresher courses" to prepare for the RHIT exam. I don't think there are any, anyway. Just use your books. You will need to do that to pass your RHIA coursework and the RHIA exam, because you need the knowledge from the RHIT for them.

The RHIA isn't a "supervisory" credential, by the way. You can supervise with the RHIT. The RHIA is a credential in more complex work, i.e., administration, control, organization. That's another reason to review--you need the foundation before you can build on it.
Thanks for your friendly response. nm - OP
[ In Reply To ..]
x

Similar Messages:

To Get A Job With An RHIA
Sep 21, 2012

would I need a Bachelor's degree in something else. I have seen this as a qualification on some jobs. To be honest, I am not sure what jobs would be open to me if I had an RHIA. Any help and/or direction is greatly appreciated. Thanks. ...

Should I Become A RHIA??? Need Help Please
Jul 30, 2014

Hi, I am thinking of getting a bachelor's degree in Health Information Management and becoming a certified RHIA. I was wondering if anyone currently working as a RHIA can tell me: 1) Is it hard to find a job after you finish school and get certified? 2) About how much money can you expect to make? Hi, I  am thinking of getting a bachelor's degree in Health Information Management and becoming a certified RHIA. I was wondering if anyone currently working as a RHIA can tell ...

WGU RHIA Program
Jun 02, 2013

Has anyone here gone through WGU and become a RHIA?  I am currently a RHIT, but I'm thinking of furthering my education.  I really like computers and technology and I think this looks like a good program.  I just wonder if RHIA is worth it because I see a lot of jobs require either RHIT or RHIA. ...

Should I Skip The RHIT And Go For RHIA?
May 09, 2012

So, I'm confused and could use some advice.  I am in an accredited HIT program all online to receive my AA degree and sit for the RHIT.  I have just two semesters left to complete the program.  I am very unhappy with the education I have received, and I am not sure I could even pass the RHIT.  I am considering quitting this program and enrolling in a bachelor program where I can sit for the RHIA (it's a healthcare informatics degree through WGU).  I am wonderin ...

Is The RHIA Worth Going To School For?
Aug 13, 2012

I'm a former MT who has been in school working towards AA in HIT and will sit for my RHIT this winter.  I am considering contiuing my education and getting my bachelor's degree and going for the RHIA, but is it worth it?  I currently work in medical records and when I get my RHIT I will be a coder where I work.  Two more years of school just seems daunting and exhausting to me, but then I wonder if RHIA would be a good career move.  Any thoughts? ...

CCA, CCS, CPC, RHIA, Informatics Question
Jan 30, 2014

I am thinking about going into health informatics. I've been looking at the program through WGU. Through their program, you complete your CCA credential before graduation. You would also qualify for your RHIA certification when you graduate. They state that a CCS or CCA credential will satisfy the coding courses in the program. Would it be better to do the coding portion of the informatics degree through a program that prepares you to pass the CCS and CPC (like Andrews) or would you know ad ...

Texas State University RHIA
Sep 28, 2012

I learned yesterday that the TSU post baccaulaureate certificate requires only 15 hours.  Wow.  I can't stop thinking about it.  I'm going to see if I can get accepted (yes I live in Texas).  ...

Best School To Get Online Bacherlor's In RHIA Besides WGU?
Jul 25, 2013

Which school (that offers the program online) is the best to get an RHIA besides Western Governor's University? I'm not interested in going there. ...

RHIT/RHIA Program That Also Prepares For CCS?
Feb 19, 2014

I am a current MT and am looking to start the transition to coding/HIM.  I already have a bachelor's degree in business. I know I would like to work in hospital coding, at least initially, so I want a very good foundation in coding.  This always leads me to Andrews school, as I definitely want to obtain the CCS to help my prospects.  However, I am also open to other possible opportunities in HIM, and it seems that an HIM degree/RHIT or RHIA would be beneficial to have in tha ...

Does Anyone Ever Hear Back Anymore From Jobs Posted? In The Past I Always Heard Back Even If I Was N
Dec 10, 2012

Back To Work After Back Surgery
Aug 23, 2012

Hello, I would like to transcribe from home again. However, I HAVE to get up and walk for a few minutes at least once an hour. You see, I had to have 2 back surgeries in the last 18 months. I've been a transcriptionist for many years and this is my profession. Does anyone have a suggestion what to tell these companies that will hire you to work from home when you have to get up so much? The last company I tried had a "pop-up" box that appeared on my screen if you were up longer than 10 min ...

Dang It - DQS Back Up But My Job Did Not Come Back To Me.
Mar 31, 2011

. ...

I'm Back...I'm Back In The Saddle Again!!!!
Jul 02, 2014

Back to being an MT, and yes, I am excited about that. ...

Well, Back To NJA Again..
Oct 27, 2009

Oh dear, here it goes again. ...NJA and a whole week to go on this pay period.  Due to my sickness I had to take off my 3a-5a shift, but now cannot get work to make up.   I long ago used up all my PTO.   Arrgggghhh.  Arggghhhh.   Argghhhh.  Argghhh.  I am practicing my pirate sounds for Halloween.  I've already got the screaming banshee routine down so much I have nothing but low growly voice left. ...

I Wonder If They'd Take Me Back.
Jun 22, 2011

I quit last July because they couldn't keep me "transcriptioning," sent my resignation to my supervisor, and then received a letter in October stating that I was terminated.   Loved it!  And I'm thinking of reapplying.  Ought to be an interesting experience.. lol..  just love it!  I don't have anything else to do, and what other company would let you not work for 3 months before they terminated you?   Did I mention how much I love this ...

I Got Back Into DQS
Nov 04, 2010

I just got back in so maybe problem is fixed?! ...

Getting Back In To MT
Dec 06, 2010

Thanks so much for any advice! I am newly divorced and working at a call center, and I have an MT certificate from Everett Community College, and even though I have lost 1/2 of my stuff thanks to my ex, I seem to have held on to my foot pedal, software, and that is about it. I would like to start over and try to find an MT job. I had an excellent GPA in school but have never worked. I graduated in 2007. Am I crazy to try? I figure it is now or never, anyway. If someone here is optimistic enough ...

Getting Back Into The Biz
Mar 15, 2011

Hi all, I'm getting back into editing after a 5-year hiatus.  I'm being offered .06 cpl at this time.  Back in the day, it was an hourly wage I made.. so, am trying to figure out what it's going to take volume wise to make a decent paycheck.  Anyone have any suggestions for me?  Thanks, I appreciate this site  and your input very much! ...

DQS Back Up For Me...nm
Jun 11, 2012

nm ...

MM Wants Me Back
Sep 17, 2012

ok so after 13 years, having to resort to food stamps and borrowing money to make my rent, I leave MM approx 2-1/2 months ago to to type for 2 docs and 2 PAs in a private practice at $15/hr, no weekends, no holidays, beautiful office building, 1 hour lunch...and I get a call asking if I would consider coming back to MM ... AND I wouldn't even have to test for them!. ha....ha ha....ha ha ha....ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ...

Anyone Back In Yet?
Oct 31, 2012

Just wanna take a nap. ...

Im Back Up
Nov 26, 2012

:) ...

Looking To Get Back Into MT???
Dec 15, 2012

I worked in medical transcription for about 3 years, but it has been about 3 years since I have done it. I really need to get back into it due to the fact my family needs the extra income. I cannot work outside the home because my daughter has special needs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. ...

Is Anyone Else Back In?
Nov 11, 2013

Everything (for me) seems to be uploading/downloading OK.  Light is still red though.  ...

BACK AND FORTH!!!!!!
Mar 12, 2014

Since the announcement of MModal bankruptcy, I have had such mixed feelings.  First of all, I have just begun my 17th year with this company.  I have been through many TSMs or whatever they are now.  I have only had 1 that was totally unreasonable which I guess is pretty fortunate.  Like everyone else, I make about half the money I used to with this company.  I am a tier 3 MT and have been since the beginning.  I have 30 years of MT experience, have a degree in heal ...

I Want To Go Back To My Old Job
Mar 25, 2014

I left in good standing I think! Two week notice, exit interview, good words about company, etc. ...

Wish I Had My Old MT Job Back...
Jun 29, 2014

I am still at M*Modal but have a different position which I thought was going to be a promotion, but I am not as enthused about it as I first was. Is it possible to go back to being an MT (since I am already an employee) even though there is a hiring freeze? How could I ask anonymously? ...

OK Now Back Up!
Sep 25, 2014

x ...

Has Anyone Been Able To Get Back In Yet?
Oct 01, 2014

. ...

Is Everyone Back In Now?
Oct 01, 2014

x ...