A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Jumping off the MTSO merry go round (sm) - Long time MT

Posted: May 11, 2010

A couple of months back I posted my opinion about how things started going south for MTs when we no longer worked directly for the hospitals.  I decided to put my paycheck where my mouth is and started looking.  Lo and behold, practically in my own backyard I found a large hospital group who had been outsourcing everything, but then took it back in house because of poor quality and TAT.  My new job starts in a few weeks.  Great benefits, more leave time than I currently accumulate, holidays, cost of living increases, incentive plan AND I still get to work from home.  I am soooo happy.  I haven't been this happy since, well since I left a hospital job 14 years ago to go to work for an MTSO.  Come to think of it, that was the last time I had a raise!  Sometimes there is a light at the end of the tunnel - you just have to look for it.  :-)

Congrats!!! - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Hospital gigs are definately the cream of the crop... double so if they let you work from home. I worked for a hospital for a long time until I moved and they told me on the day I closed my house that I wouldn't be able to work from home in this town ;-(...

I hope you love it and enjoy your raises and PTO!!

Thank you (sm) - Long time MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I feel like it's Christmas in May!

Way to go! - qCMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Congratulations on your new job, and best of luck to you :-)

way to go! and glad to hear the hospital took it back, did - the right thing. sign of good times to come.

[ In Reply To ..]
you have inspired me to do the same.

In house - travelinMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Several years ago I was sent to help out a hospital Transcription Dept. that was behind due to the fact that they had outsourced their transcription, which meant they let all their transcriptionists go, and then the work was so baaaaadddd, they brought it all back in-house. I had to chuckle when I heard the transcriptionists talking about how they had gotten together when the hospital called begging them to come back. They all told the hospital what days and hours they would work if they wanted them back along with the salary they wanted and "they got it". I wanted to give them all a high-five.

How wonderful! (sm) - Happy For You

[ In Reply To ..]
I have recently started searching for a hospital job too, having had one in the past and loved it. I find it difficult to find hospital MT department e-mail addresses on line, though. The hospital web sites I have come across usually just offer a fancy application system online, to which there is rarely if ever any kind of response. I would love to know, did you call them directly or e-mail them as your first step? Again, congratulations!
No, don't contact the department, call HR - me
[ In Reply To ..]
Definately go through HR. The MT department head would be angry if you bypassed them. Keep checking with HR after you put in the online application.
HR? - How wonderful! (sm)
[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. When you say go through HR, do you mean in person, or online?
Most have a phone number you can call - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Usually they have a phone number that you can call, just tell them that you submitted an application and would like to make sure it had been recieved. After you submit your application online (or mail or in person, though online I think is easiest) wait a week or so and give them a call. Usually the HR department (at least in my hospitals) are buried somewhere in the bowels of the hospital or are off site in another building. I applied for a job that was across the state where I was going to move, but I didn't have an address yet. When I called to check on my application they had not even sent it up to the manager for review because I lived too far away to be set up at home with them. When I told her I would be moving that week she forwarded my app up to the MT department and I was hired a week later ;-) Always check back weekly. If nothing else at least they will keep your app on file for next time and know that you are dedicated.
Thanks so much! - How wonderful! (sm)
[ In Reply To ..]
Your detailed reply is so much appreciated :-)
I filled out their on-line application - Long time MT
[ In Reply To ..]
I found the job posting at the hospital website and jumped through all the appropriate hoops including filling out the on-line application. Within 24 hours they had emailed me that I satisfied the preliminary requirements and my application had gone to the MT dept. supervisor. Within a week I had my interview. If you want something bad enough, you can't take any shortcuts. You have to jump through the hoops.

Congratulations. I'm curious to know... - VRMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Did you take on the entire hospital or (as I'm assuming) they hired back all their Mts to work from home instead of in-house? Had they already started this when you contacted them? What a great deal for you! I've thought of getting together with a few other MTs in my immediate area and trying to pick up a small hospital account. Again, congratulations!!

The entire hospital (sm) - Long time MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Not only the entire hospital but their sister hospitals in the area. It's been in place for a while now, but they are expanding their hospitals and need more MT editors.

So now you're still transcribing from home but directly for a hospital? - Congratulations!

[ In Reply To ..]
Sounds like a great solution. Congratulations!

Congratulations - RLee

[ In Reply To ..]
Good luck to you in your new job. I am sure you have now found a place where you will enjoy going to work. There may be light at tne end of tue tunnel if more hospitals/clinics take back their own accounts. It is up to us MTs to prove we can do it without the MTSO's. Good luck again.

OMG, where have you been? we don't have to PROVE we can work - without the MTSOs (sm)

[ In Reply To ..]
We were all there was before the internet. We started without MTSOs. We come from being in the next room to the dictators working from records, magnetic belts, tapes in 2 sizes, to phones - working on typewriters, word processors, and finall the almighty computer starting with monochromes without internet connections.

I do believe they know we can handle it.

lol - what do you call an MTSO in medical transcription? - heheheh

[ In Reply To ..]
MT Interrupted.

Similar Messages:

Round And Round The Mulberry Buomplain I Go.
Apr 27, 2014

Less than a year ago, the account I worked on was completely off-shored (within about 6-9 months of Nuance purchasing Transcend).  I was put on a new account that supposedly had lots of work and it at least had a reasonable amount for a while.  I actually liked that account (or rather set of 2 accounts) which would explain why that account went to EPIC.  Today is my first day on a new set of accounts, new region, etc.  We were told that our account assignments were based on o ...

Jumping Professions
Jan 06, 2010

I am medical transcriptionist contemplating jumping over to coding, is this an easy transition?  Has anybody else done this?  Any information/stories would be helpful as I contemplate this decision. TIA!! ...

Round Plessage?
Sep 23, 2011

The patient has a Hills-Sachs lesion.  It sounds like they want to do a s/l round plessage??  for treatment.  I cannot find this anywhere and may just don't hear it right.  Thanks. ...

I Wish I Could Buy A Round Of Cosmos For All Of You
May 20, 2014

Without this board I would feel even more isolated than I already do, so I would like to say thank you to all of you for the support and the laughs. It makes work life a little easier for sure. Cheers to all of us enduring life as an MT in 2014, the crazy dictators, sketchy platform, demanding supervisors, etc etc....with dignity and pride for the important work that we do. Clink....and drink! :-)  ...

Round Table Meeting
Jan 18, 2013

Today our inhouse hourly waged MTs group figured out a way to keep our work in our clinic and not being outsourced.  We are going to make our present wage AND get back some of the doctors that went to outside line count charge.  We put our heads together and figured it out and our director (not an MT in any way, shape, or form) is all for our plans.  Now that is what I call a first step to keeping our jobs in house!  We were scared to present this but it would have been worse ...

Audits At 99%. Has It Changed? Was It Round
Mar 20, 2013

just wondering.  Was it at a lower rate before.  and now its higher.  What is going on?  anyone know. was it always 99% and now its 99.5,  i thought a few years back it was like 95% ...

With Everybody Jumping Ship From These Companies--
Mar 07, 2014

and everybody sending resumes to the few remaining companies that are left, this is going to cause a big glut of hungry MTs looking for jobs, so guess what?  The MTSOs are going to start lowering their line rates, upping their requirements for equipment, internet, etc., and the MTs are going to be the ones losing even more in the end.  Then with shipping the remaining work to India and the EHR, it is DEFINITELY time to get out of MT!  The ones who can't see this and are hangi ...

Offered A Job Away From Synernet, But Not Sure If I Am Jumping Out Of The Pan Sm
Aug 25, 2014

into the fire. From what I read here on the boards, most of the companies have something awful about them (or multiple things), so even though this company sounds a lot better (and it is also in Maine), I am at the same time excited as well as scared. When I hired on to Synernet I was ecstatic. The pay was low, but the benefits were great and it sounded like the people cared, plus "no VR in sight." Fast forward ....... VR, bad communication, soul-sucking notes from QA and management, paychec ...

Employees Jumping Ship?
Dec 03, 2014

After the new compensation plan was "explained" today, I wonder how many employees jumped ship.  No one should have to work under those conditions. Smh  ...

Considering Jumping Nuance Ship
Jan 22, 2015

Are there any good IC positions that use Editscript?  I have 5 years experience on this platform.  I have a ton of heme onc experience as well.  I can get on my BF's insurance, so I don't see why I shouldn't go to contracting and be done with this pay system...   ...

Round Rock/Pflugerville Area MTs
Jun 15, 2011

I'm looking for MTs in the Round Rock/Pflugerville/North Austin area to network with.  I've been in the business for 10+ years and just don't really know any MTs in my immediate area.  I'd love to hear from you! ...

Jumping To Yellow Voice Box On DocQscribe
May 25, 2011

I haven't edited on DQS in a while. I can't seem to find the answer to this in the manual. If the cursor is at the beginning of a paragraph and the yellow voice box is in the middle and that is where I want the cursor to be how do I "jump" to that point in the text? Thanks! ...

I Really Hate The Jumping Ballerina Graduate Over There
Jun 09, 2011

lol ...

A Round Of Applause For The Nuance Suits
Aug 17, 2013

Hundreds of jobs out of TAT this morning across the board.  Betcha the clients are getting a little bit cranky.  While you are holding your employees to unobtainable standards of perfection to perfect your VR so you can get rid of us and send the meager rest to India, you will have run this company into the ground first.  Don't the clients penalize you when reports are late?  Make sure you pass that loss on to us, the MTs.  Don't dare take respon ...

CP Hoop Jumping - I Should Have Been A Circus Performer...nm
Mar 31, 2015

cc ...

You Know Those Little Black Sponge Pads That Go Over The Round Type Headsets??.....
Sep 13, 2011

Does anyone know where to get GOOD quality ones?  I've been suckered TWICE by buying them online---they are these little thin things that break every single time before I can get them over the ear piece.   The only ones I've found so far that are good are the ones that come with the headset, but I don't want to buy a new headset every time I just need new pads.  I'd be so appreciative for advice on where to get good quality ones.  TIA!!!  ...

Merry Christmas Everyone!! :)
Dec 21, 2009

have a great one!! Abby ...

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!
Dec 25, 2012

My Christmas wish for all of us is that we find great companies to work for and definitely make more money. (I believe in the tooth fairy and Easter bunny too!). Happy and healthy holidays to everyone. ...

Merry Christmas To ME!
Dec 21, 2013

Bwahahaha! I am finally rid of this craphole! Quit right in the middle of my shift 2 nights ago, and I have to tell you.....I feel fabulous. Got the call from my supervisor today saying she would hold off putting my paperwork in on the chance that it was a split second decision and I'm rethinking it now plus the good old "no notice, no rehire" diddy they throw out.  My response: No offense to you in what I say, because you have been a really good supervisor.  It may have been a ...

Merry Christmas -- NJA
Dec 24, 2013

Scheduled to work today and NJA.  No surprise as it happens every year.  Hoping some work trickles in today.  I don't want to sit here all day as well as all you other MT/ME's.  I have tomorrow off and then back on Thursday and Friday with probably no work either.  This paycheck is going to hurt.  Hoping for a sock full of money from Santa.  Ha. Ha.  Hope all of you have a Merry Christmas and that you enjoy your time with your family/famili ...

Merry Christmas To All Currently Working!
Dec 24, 2009

Typine away and feeling very alone, a little sorry for myself, when I remembered all of you are out there working away too! So Merry Christmas to all of you, and God Bless Us Everyone! ...

To All Who Read Here: Merry Christmas!
Dec 25, 2009

I just want to wish you all a very merry Christmas.  I hope you keep all your family and friends close at this time and that you're all snug and warm.  I know this year has not been easy. Keep the faith. ...

Merry Christmas MTStars And MTs Everywhere! Nm
Dec 24, 2010

nm ...

Merry Christmas From, Web/Nuance
Dec 12, 2011

So nice of them to break the news about a  pay cut right before Christmas.  ...

Merry Christmas From Nuance
Dec 24, 2014

Just got a peek at next pay, the first with the new pay scale. I was astounded to see the pay was the highest I have seen in years! True, I worked my S off to get it, and I realize it can disappear in a flash at the whim of QA,  but in this probably very brief moment I'm going to bask in the glow and hope for the best..... Indeed, Merry Christmas!! ...

Merry Christmas To All! MModal, Take Note On
Dec 25, 2012

Not even a card or word or wish or acknowledgement from my MModal supervisor or QA coach or management.  Not a word that I even existed as I work on this holiday for their company. On the other hand, I work a retail position part time. MModal take note. It didn't cost them much in either money or time. This company had the class to send a real card not an e-card to my home (that was hand signed by every member of management), had a small box of cookies and seasonal coffee fo ...

Merry Christmas, NJA. How Do I Enter OOW On Webclock?
Dec 25, 2013

What I mean is, do you let the clock run for an hour and clock out, or the scheduled 8 hours and enter OOW in the comments section?  Haven't done this before.  ...

MERRY CHRISTMAS/HAPPY HOLIDAYS
Dec 23, 2014

Everyone have a safe and hopefully happy holiday!     (Sorry, wanted to spread cheer on this board today).  ...

LOVE THE SNOW FLAKES.... MERRY CHRISTMAS
Dec 15, 2010

MERRY CHRISTMAS And HAPPY NEW YEAR To All !!!! And To Those Who Do Not Celebrate Christmas
Dec 23, 2014

BEST WISHES for the holidays ...