A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Bus driver said she graduated from medical billing/coding school - Squarepeg

Posted: Sep 25, 2012

and the reason she's driving a bus is because she hasn't been able to find a job as a coder since graduation. I asked her if she took her certification exam yet, and she said no. I didn't say anything but maybe this is the reason why she hasn't gotten hired yet.

Absence of a certification = Big Issue - I agree!

[ In Reply To ..]
Not having a certification is #1.

Even more than that is the REASON she does not have it. In all likelihood, her school didn't emphasize it. She doesn't even know it's necessary. That says something about the training, and it isn't particularly good. They might not bother encouraging students to test because they know they can't pass.

Maybe - see message - Passing through

[ In Reply To ..]
After spending money on school she didn't have the $300+ for the exam fees and dues in AAPC or AHIMA, if she was unemployed at the time that could have been the case. Also, having certification does not guarantee that a person will find a job, it's tough without actual work experience. It's not nice to judge others without knowing all of their circumstances.

Nobody was judging anyone - squarepeg

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

You dont know her circumstances either, you are guessing. But no - judging of anyone here. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
s

That would be really poor planning if that's the case - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Anyone getting into medical coding should be aware at the beginning that it's going to take passing a credentials exam to demonstrate to employers that you can do the job. That's the way it works in coding. No, it doesn't work that way in medical transcription, but it does in medical coding. BIG difference. We all know that.

You know from the start that you're going to have to take that CPC test and the CCS exam too. Too many people don't plan ahead. They go for training that is short, fast, cheap, and at the end, they have nothing to show for the time, effort, and money they did spend. They have to start all over or just consider coding a bad idea and go on to doing something else. Nobody wants to take a second course after they've already taken one. You would have to study what you already studied once. So most people just choose to mark it up as a mistake and go on. They don't realize that if they had done it right the first time, they would have made an investment in their future.
How did MT get brought into this? - Passing through
[ In Reply To ..]
The discussion was about a woman who became a bus driver because she was not able to find a coding joh.
Passing Through - SM
[ In Reply To ..]
No one said the woman BECAME a bus driver because she could not find a job as a coder. The OP said she WAS a bus driver who could not get a job in coding.

How did MT "get brought into this"? I did not write that post, but this is my understanding of it. It got brought in because we often have to explain the credentialing issue from an MT perspective, since many MTs do not understand that certification in coding is nothing like certification in MT.

Here is what happened. "I agree" made an accurate statement about credentials in coding. In fact, that is a good assessment of the situation. Nobody judged the bus driver. You then attacked "I agree," accusing her of judging the bus driver. Your statements about the problems you felt could explain why the bus driver had been unable to get credentialed are the arguments MTs often make about credentials. In other words, if a credential was optional and not very meaningful, cost would be a good reason not to get it.

The "poor planning" response to your post simply saw the MT-type response and sought to explain it from that perspective to help you understand.

So, MT got brought in because you appear to be an MT and because you argued from an MT perspective.

MTs often come into coding feeling that credentials are optional and too costly. They often feel that it is unfair of employers to expect coders to be credentialed. They often feel that everyone deserves a chance, regardless of credentials. They often express a view that one credential should be enough.

In coding, however, credentials are required, not optional. It isn't that emplyers want them, but that they must have them because it is a necessary part of their compliance program. Employers have to be able to show that they did everything possible to assure that their coding and billing was done correctly. When the expectation is that you will hire credentialed coders, you hire credentialed coders. In coding, credentials are minimum preparation for a job. The chance to prove yourself is given after you have credentials, not before. Why? Because credentials are the accepted minimum job preparation, and also because many noncredentialed coders have failed exams already, sometimes several times. If a coder cannot pass an exam, that coder is not going to work accurately, either. You need only to look up the size of the fines Medicare applies and the other repercussions for fraudulent and abusive billing to understand why no employer can afford to hire a noncredentialed coder.

There is also a very good chance that a noncredentialed coder will never be able to pass. This is a known phenomenon. Employers cannot risk hiring one. They just have to hire credentialed coders.

Reputable coding programs do make this clear to students. Students should not graduate thinking they should apply for jobs before credentials. You get your credentials first.

Certification does not guarantee getting a job - On the other hand

[ In Reply To ..]
Not being certified pretty much guarantees that you won't.

Certification in coding is much different than in MT. In coding, you really must be certified. Employers almost all require it. Reputable schools make this clear to students.

The cost is a job-related expense. Membership in AHIMA is not required. Membership in the AAPC is required but, again, that is part of joining the profession.

You are right that we do not know her circumstances, but employers do not know, either. I can tell you that they will assume an uncredentialed coder is unable to pass the exams or unwilling to try.

I just read that it is now REQUIRED for coders in Texas to be certified. I expect that to spread.

Is this a school bus driver? - (see message)

[ In Reply To ..]
The reason I ask is that the school bus company in my area advertises in the newspaper, and their starting pay is $12/hr....well above what I was able to make as an MT after we went to VR. My husband has a business contact whose wife drives a school bus for a small suburban district, and she makes $15 an hour. I know you're talking about coding; but as a long-time MT who doesn't have an interest in going back to school at this point, I'd consider driving a school bus if I could stand the early-morning hours, the split shift, and loud children! :-D

She's a driver for a paratransit transporation company - squarepeg

[ In Reply To ..]
She picks up people and takes them places, it's a door to door service here in the DC area.

Similar Messages:

Coding/billing School
Apr 26, 2014

I am wanting to go into billinig/coding.  There is a tech school very close to my home. They have coding/billing  program  which takes 1 year to complete full time.  I am wondering this:  How much does a newbie make just starting out in either billing or coding and what are my chances of getting a newbie job right out of school?  Thanks for the info. ...

Billing/Coding School Recommendation Sm
Jun 28, 2010

Thinking of taking billing/coding courses since transcription is going downhill.  Any good on-line schools that are AHIMA accredited?  Do you have to take courses only accredited by AHIMA?  What about their courses?  Any suggestions and/or help would be appreciated.  (Also, I don't want to take a course that takes years to complete.)  Thanks in advance! ...

Anyone Know Of A Good Online School For Billing & Coding
Nov 30, 2012

nm ...

Best School To Go To For Medical Billing
Jan 25, 2013

I currently am working at a nursing home as the office manager and the company is wanting to bring the billing inhouse, having me do it. I have done some billing in the past, but would definitely need a refresher! Thanks in advance! ...

I'm Cannot Afford To Quit Work As A MT And Go To School For Coding/billing. S/m
Aug 22, 2012

I will have to continue to work full-time while taking classes.  Which online schools are accredited?   And is there a big difference in getting a job/pay for having diploma or certificate?  I'm in Florida and there are a lot of schools advertised.  I want a good school, not a scam program.  Thank you. ...

Medical Billing/Coding
Feb 13, 2015

Does any one know of any good medical billing and coding schools online? ...

Transcriptionist Also Does Medical Coding/billing?
Nov 16, 2009

I was wondering if anyone who is a transcriptionist also does medical coding/billing.  I wonder if we are any safer with this field and what the pay is like.  It looks to be about the same from what I have found on line.  I have been doing transcription for 10 years and am getting tired of what is happening in the industry.  It is tedious, hard work to sit on your butt all day and only get paid when your fingers are on the keys.  I am thinking of working in an office or hospital for a chang ...

Information On Medical Billing/coding
Sep 08, 2010

I am interested in obtaining some information on the medical billing/coding certifications.  If anyone has class or school informaiton that is realiable I would greatly appreciate it.  I am looking for online certificated classes. Thanks ...

Future In Medical Coding / Billing
Feb 08, 2012

I have a question about coding and billing.  For three years in the '90s, I coded and transcribed for a small, rural, hospital.  I was responsible for outpatient, ER, inpatient, surgical etc. coding and transcription.  It was mostly ICD-9, and HCPC coding.  If I want to code from home in the future, what would you suggest I do, an online program?  Do you think coding from home would be an opportunity or do most hospitals/clinics/physicians require experience at a facility first, and wo ...

Coding/Medical Billing Jobs?
May 05, 2012

How plentiful are the jobs for coders and medical billers? Currently I am an MT but looking into other career options. Thanks! ...

Is Medical Billing/coding Also Going Overseas?
Aug 03, 2013

gotta be honest, i despise medical transcription - booorrrrring - BUT i still want to work at home. i know coding/billing probably isn't any more interesting, but because i still want to work at home, i'm considering learning it. does anyone have any knowledge and/or experience with it? if so, is it, too, also going overseas? are there any work at home jobs that are not going overseas? ...

Medical Coding And Billing Sites
Oct 07, 2013

Hello out there. Are there any medical coding and billing sites like this one. Any information on websites or where to look would be greatly appreciated. ...

MT Looking To Take A Course In Either Medical Billing Or Coding To Have Something Else For Training
Feb 25, 2014

I need to make a switch if I should lose my transcription job. Which would you recommend to get into first? Wondering if I should take a medical billing course first which would help me get hired somewhere else and does have a billing background help with coding?? I have a local vocational school that offers a medical billing course but nothing nearby that offers coding. Also I would prefer to do an online course and not sure which one would be the best. I don't want to spend money if ...

Medical Transcription Versus Coding/billing
Jan 18, 2010

Does anyone have an idea which career might pay best, medical transcription or medical billing/coding? I am curious about which pays best. ...

My Thoughts On Learning Medical Billing And Coding
Nov 09, 2011

After seeing the writing on the fall for MTs, I started school 1 year ago.  I am currently in an online associates degree program.  I am an on-the-job trained MT.  I also earned my CMT through a lot of self study and I work hard to keep that CMT credential (no bashing.  Needed it at the time for the job I had).  My college program is currently business administration with a completion in medical billing and coding.  I already know that to get a coding certifica ...

Penn Foster Coding And Medical Billing Program?
Jan 29, 2015

Hello, Just wanting opinions/experiences with Penn Foster's Training Program Coding and Medical Billing. Thanks in advance. ...

Will More People With Health Insurance = More Medical Coding And Billing Jobs?
Jun 29, 2012

The people I know who will now be getting medical insurance will obviously now go to the doctor when they get sick. It makes sense to me that there will be more coding and more billing, right? That's a good thing for us I think. ...

Online College/university That Offers Certified Medical Coding/billing?
Aug 03, 2010

What are some of the best online college/university that offers certified medical coding/billing? ...

Using Dragon Medical Practice, Version 2 For Transcription, Coding, Billing, Editing - Is It Worth I
Dec 29, 2014

It was recently suggested to me that I get Dragon Medical practice Edition, Version 2 for use on transcription, coding, billing and editing. As someone who works from home, I am hoping to investigate the pros and cons of investing in this program and whether its worth it ($1,399.00!!) Does anyone have any experience using this program for transcription, etc who would like to comment? Is it worth the time investment and the money investment? Is the program fairly easy to set up and use ie: l ...

Andrews School And Medical Coding
Jul 29, 2012

Andrews School and Medical Coding.  Is this a good program. ...

Good Medical Coding School
Jun 13, 2013

Hi, does anyone out there know of good medical coding schools, either in school or online, perferrably online.  Heard of The Andrews School?  Any info would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.  Minny ...

I Am Too Old To Start The Andrew's School For Medical Coding
Feb 07, 2012

Dear Friends: I am 55 and I am a transcriptionist of almost 11 years and I want to switch carreers and am choosing medical coding and want to enroll in the Andrew's School.  Do you think I am too old to start a new career? I do not think so, but I would like some thoughts. I am healthy and I know I can do it.  Any thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks for your time.  Fondly, Suzie ...

Is There Any Prerequisite For The Andrews School Medical Coding Program
May 11, 2010

do they include anatomy? ...

I Will Be 56 Tomorrow And I Would Like To Attend The Andrew's School For Medical Coding
Aug 27, 2012

Dear Friends: My name is Suzie and tomorrow I will be 56.  I would like your opinions as to whether you think I am too old to start studying for a new career in medical coding.  I 100% sure that I want to attend the Andrew's School for Medical Coding.  I have been a medical transcriptionist for 11 years having attended M-TEC and I love this profession, but I see that the career is shrinking and there are less opportunities.  I think my background as a transcriptionist wo ...

I Am Putting In My Paperwork For The Andrew's School For Medical Coding And I Am Nervous
Oct 01, 2013

Hi Friends: My name is Suzanne and I am sending in my paperwork to enroll in the Andrew's School for Medical Coding and I am nervous.  I am nervous because I do know I can do it, but what about my age of 57.  I am too old for studying for this field?  I am a medical transcriptionist and have been for 12 years and I am a fast thinker and learner and I know I can do it, but what about the Affordable Care Act and the jobs being outsourced like medical transcription. Can you ...

Recently Graduated From MT School, Can't Find A Job!
Feb 14, 2010

I have recently graduated with a certificate in Medical Transcription and am finding it difficult to find a job! I am a Respiratory Therapist full-time and just want something part-time at home for extra income and to gain experience to hopefully do transcription as a full-time career.  Can anyone give me any advice on how to go about finding employment?  I have put my application in for several jobs but my lack of experience has been a problem. I think that maybe I am just looking in ...

Hired For Coding/billing/transcription, But Told No Coding
Aug 13, 2013

Accepted a job, gave 2 weeks notice, and yesterday was my first day.  I was to be helping out transcription (1000 jobs behind), and then sitting with billing and training with coding as their coder will be out on maternity leave in December.  The office is adding another surgeon, and they are rapidly expanding.  So I gave a proper 2 weeks' notice to my former employer (2 hours on the road there and back, low salary - now less than half distance and $3 more an hour) and starte ...

Has Anyone Ever Gone Through Allied School For Coding? Other School Recommendations?
Jun 24, 2014

I was wondering if anyone has ever gone through Allied School in California for billing & coding.  If so, how was your experience?  Were you able to find work in coding after finishing the course and getting your certification?  I have been a medical transcriptionist for the past 10-11 years and am now looking at getting into coding.  My best friend and I are going to take a course together.   If you wouldn't recommend Allied as a school, who would you reco ...

Billing/coding
Apr 20, 2010

has anyone thought about or actually made the swith from mt to billing/coding? ...

Coding/Billing
Jan 11, 2011

Anyone know if MedQuist has coding/billing jobs and would hire a new grad from CareerStep?  Thanks!  ...