A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I am enrolling in the Andrew's School next week and am getting nervous - Suzanne

Posted: Jan 24, 2011

Hi. My name is Suzanne and I am enrolling in the Andrew's School for Medical Coding next week, on Tuesday February 1, 2001 and am getting nervous. I am a medical transcriptionist and I want to know if any thing I have done in the last 10 years, such as medical terminology and anatomy, will help me. Of course I will take that part of the course, but I want to know if that will help. Also, I am most nervous about deciphering the codes. I guess what I am asking is how do I know I will be a good coder and will  understand coding. I  am 54 and I hope I am not too old for this.  I know I will do well on the medical terminology, but I am scared about the coding in that will I understand it.  I must sound dumb I know, but I am scared.  Thanks for listeninig and I hope you will respond to me. 

Fondly,

Suzanne

You'll do fine - Raine59

[ In Reply To ..]
Relax, you'll be fine. I just finished Andrews in December after also being an MT for 10 years or so and I'm also close to your age. Your MT training will be very helpful. You will ease into coding a little at a time. It is challenging at times but certainly not impossible. Email me if you have any questions.

Thanks - Bizzi One

[ In Reply To ..]
Raine59 - I just personally want to say "thank you" for all your kind and encouraging emails as you have progressed through Andrews School and now on to certification. I enjoy reading your replies, as they have been encouraging to me, and I'm sure to others. I'm hoping to enroll in Andrews School later this year. Please keep us posted on how things progress for you!!

I agree with Raine - No need to be scared

[ In Reply To ..]
Learning coding isn't especially difficult, but it takes careful attention to detail. It also takes lots of practice, making mistakes, being corrected, learning from the corrections, and moving forward. I went through the Andrews Coding course years ago as an 'older' coding student. I had the same feelings. I didn't know if I could learn it. I knew some terminology and had worked in a doctor's office using the codes that had been given to me by the doctor. I just didn't know if I could transition to 'real' coding. I found out I could and I loved it! You'll be surprised at how well you will do.

Don't be scared - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm 56 and am approaching the end of my coding program through another school, I've actually already been on one job interview for an outpatient coding job. Being an MT will help you at all levels. You won't be deciphering codes but learning how to apply them and doing a lot of problem solving. None of us know for sure if we will be good coders until we try, that is why the course is there and you will have plenty of time to practice, review and study. It is a challenge but I am sure you will do well. Best wishes, please let us know how you are doing.

coding - Viva

[ In Reply To ..]
Coding is complicated and sometimes confusing. You just need to stick with it and go over the more difficult chapters or parts again until you absorb it. I am 45 and in this process right now. It takes a while to really absorb new info, but I think you will get it.

Nervous - Oldnewcoder

[ In Reply To ..]
Hey Suzanne,

Don't think you are the only one who is nervous. I am starting AHIMA Basic Coding as soon as all the paperwork is done and I get my books. I also am a former MT for 20 years, so that makes me pretty old to learn new tricks. I am sure that my background as an MT is going to be useful. I have taken coding classes before but they were way to introductory to get me a job. I have always heard that MTs make good coders and I am sure that employers will see it that way too. Also just because we are not as young as we would like to be, employers see us as an asset because of our life experience and our stability. It's all good. Best of luck to you.

Cathy

Similar Messages:

I Am Putting In My Paperwork For The Andrew's School For Medical Coding And I Am Nervous
Oct 01, 2013

Hi Friends: My name is Suzanne and I am sending in my paperwork to enroll in the Andrew's School for Medical Coding and I am nervous.  I am nervous because I do know I can do it, but what about my age of 57.  I am too old for studying for this field?  I am a medical transcriptionist and have been for 12 years and I am a fast thinker and learner and I know I can do it, but what about the Affordable Care Act and the jobs being outsourced like medical transcription. Can you ...

Wait On ICD-10 Before Enrolling In School?
Dec 28, 2011

Am a current Mt looking to get into coding, specifically looking at Andrews.  I am not familiar with coding at all, so this may be a dumb question to those familiar with it - but here goes! Would it make more sense to wait until the implementation of ICD-10 to invest in the courses or is this a mute point pretty much?  In other words, would it be easier to "transition" from 9 to 10 or start fresh with 10?  Hope this makes sense and TIA for any input.   ...

I Am Too Old To Start The Andrew's School For Medical Coding
Feb 07, 2012

Dear Friends: I am 55 and I am a transcriptionist of almost 11 years and I want to switch carreers and am choosing medical coding and want to enroll in the Andrew's School.  Do you think I am too old to start a new career? I do not think so, but I would like some thoughts. I am healthy and I know I can do it.  Any thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks for your time.  Fondly, Suzie ...

I Am Deciding Between The Andrew's School And Career Step. I Would Like Some Recommendations On
Jun 12, 2010

Dear Coders: My name is Suzanne Lasky and I am a medical transcriptionist who wants to go into medical coding and am have decided through many months of investigating different schools between The Andrew's School and Career Step.  I would like to know your recommendations, what you think of the programs and pros and cons of both.  Thanks so much.  Fondly, Suzanne ...

I Will Be 56 Tomorrow And I Would Like To Attend The Andrew's School For Medical Coding
Aug 27, 2012

Dear Friends: My name is Suzie and tomorrow I will be 56.  I would like your opinions as to whether you think I am too old to start studying for a new career in medical coding.  I 100% sure that I want to attend the Andrew's School for Medical Coding.  I have been a medical transcriptionist for 11 years having attended M-TEC and I love this profession, but I see that the career is shrinking and there are less opportunities.  I think my background as a transcriptionist wo ...

Used My MT Week Gift Card To Apply To School
Jun 30, 2014

I was going to hang out for a bit and see if they offered another coding class. But the day the card came in the mail they lost my main account that I had had for over 10 years. Since there was not even a courtesy notice given until a week later to any of the MTs it just made my decision easy. So thanks for the MT week money, I sure put it to good use. I start in August. ...

Something To Think About Before Enrolling
May 14, 2010

For those of you currently thinking about making the leap from MT to coding, please think about this before investing in a coding education right now.  ICD10 is coming in a couple short years, implementation in 2013.  Facilities are now gearing up to retain their current coding staff beginning next year (mandatory). So you are being taught ICD 9 if you go to school now, but if it takes you 2 years to complete your education, then right when you finish, ICD9 will be a thing of the past ...

Any MTs Here Enrolling At Andrews?
May 07, 2015

Lots of MTs here. Are any of you making the switch to coding and getting your training through Andrews?  Why did you choose Andrews School? ...

Enrolling In Career Step
May 11, 2010

I am going to enroll in Career step tomorow.  I looked into Andrews, but if I had the 1000 to put down I would not be looking for a new career.  LOL.  Wish me luck! ...

Andrew's Vs. Career Step
Oct 10, 2011

What is the difference besides price on these two schools? Do companies hire based mostly on what school you graduate from or by how well you test?  Does one school really prepare you better than the other, or are you paying for the name? ...

Thinking Of Enrolling For BIlling/Coding But I Have Questions.
Jun 12, 2014

I am thinking of starting the billing/coding courses at my community college in August. It will take me less than a year since I have courses that will transfer from my MT certification. I hear that with ICD10 it is a good field to go into. What is the reality? When I became an MT last year I didn't ask these question to people who actually worked in the field and now I am sorely disappointed with my pay and I don't think I can stick it out an Nuance to get the 2 or more years experien ...

Andrew Students. Just Wondering If You Would Like To Share What Grades You Are Getting On The Codin
Dec 04, 2011

Trying To Decide Between Enrolling In A Medical Coding Course Or A Physical Therapy Assistant Course
Sep 20, 2011

TIA :-) ...

Nervous
Mar 02, 2012

waiting for my phone interview to begin....sorta nervous! ...

Medtrans MT School? Anyone Heard Of This? Looking To Start MT School That Is Affordable.
Dec 21, 2011

:) ...

NEWBIE GETTING NERVOUS
Aug 29, 2010

I'm new to the profession and new to the boards. I am here just trying to get a feel for the real world in transcription. I have to say the few things I have read on here so far are making me very nervous. I am just finishing my course within the next month or two through Penn Foster so the search for a job is in my near future... These are a few things I am curious about:  Is the MT job market really that bad? What advice can you give me as a new MT? Have any of you MT's out ...

Interviewing Soon And Nervous
Oct 01, 2010

I have an interview coming up and I am a little nervous.  I have not had an interview in years and I don't know what to expect.  The last two times I had interviews with an MTSO, they did not really interview me but instead just told me about the account and wanted to know what shift I wanted to work. For those of you who have been interviewing recently, what was it like?  What questions can I be expected to answer.  Thanks. ...

Nervous Transition
Oct 21, 2011

I have come into transciption within the past four years. This is something I have always wanted to do and finally found a way to get into the field. There does not seem to be alot of money in straight typing, and less in VR. I have always made incentive, but still - its just not enough and I work very hard to get that. Right now, I work for a company with straight typing only, no VR. I am taking a position with a company that has VR and it sounds to me like the position is pre ...

Soon To Be A Nuancer And Am Nervous
Nov 27, 2012

I'm getting ready to have software installed on my computer this week and am having second thoughts after reading the posts on this board.  I'm really upset about the off-shoring that Nuance does and was naive when I applied (I should've checked on the boards first).  I'm not sure if I should back out or give it a try.  The account I'm assigned to supposedly is a new clinic account so everything is up in the air - it'll be straight typing and then mov ...

MT Transitioning Out And Nervous
Jan 25, 2014

Seeking advice from other MTs who are currently in school for another field or have already transitioned out of MT. One semester to go and I will hopefully be prepared to enter a career field that has nothing to do with MT. Problem is, I find myself worrying about working outside the home. I've been an at-home MT for almost 12 years. I have found a new enjoyment being around people in my classes and activities, but I'm so used to the home environment as my workplace. I am ge ...

Webbers, The New Changes Are Making Me Nervous.
Apr 08, 2011

I hate this paranoid feeling like I'm baggage and not part of the team anymore.  Do you think they'll improve communication and it will feel like the old, happy Webmedx again? ...

New Hire - Nervous - What Would It Take For Them To Fire Me?
May 04, 2012

. ...

Applying To SoftScript But Nervous
Nov 12, 2012

Well, I am going to go ahead and apply to SoftScript and I must say I am nervous hearing the negatives about the work, but at the same time if I don't get out of Nuance I will pull my hair out soon. At least I have read a few positives about SoftScript. I have read NO POSITIVES about Nuance. I came in as part of a buyout several years ago and it is scary to think I might be leaving one bad to another bad, but at the same time I think Nuance is trying to push some of us out anyway and I have ...

I Am Already A Nervous Wreck Today
Mar 18, 2014

I know every time the phone rings or I get an Ipswitch email i'm going to have a tiny heart attack lol   The news probably won't come until tomorrow but it's the waiting to determine my whole future that's got me on edge! ...

Amphion, Anything Good Or Bad. I'm Nervous.
Oct 14, 2014

Anyone out there have any experience with Amphion?  Good and bad comments are requested.  I'm nervous about them. ...

Has Anyone Ever Gone Through Allied School For Coding? Other School Recommendations?
Jun 24, 2014

I was wondering if anyone has ever gone through Allied School in California for billing & coding.  If so, how was your experience?  Were you able to find work in coding after finishing the course and getting your certification?  I have been a medical transcriptionist for the past 10-11 years and am now looking at getting into coding.  My best friend and I are going to take a course together.   If you wouldn't recommend Allied as a school, who would you reco ...

Nervous Waiting On Tests Results For A Job
Jun 27, 2013

I'm worried I didn't pass it. I pored over it with a fine-tooth comb many times, so if it's meant to be, it will be, and if not, it won't. I am really broke though, so I am keeping my fingers crossed that I passed it. Can anyone else relate? ...

I Have A Job Interview Tomorrow At A Hospital And I'm So Nervous
Sep 24, 2014

I have a job interview at a huge hospital tomorrow for a medical records analyst.  I'm very excited that I even got a call for an interview, but I'm also scared beyond words.  I haven't had a face-to-face interview in 12 years and I've become such a hermit that I'm scared to death of going for an interview, driving there, answering questions, etc.  I went back to school, just finished and got my degree, applied for this job and now I have an interview so i ...

Work Comp For Nervous Breakdown LOL?
Feb 25, 2015

I probably shouldn't even be complaining considering how bad most people have it at this company (and I spent 4 years waist deep in the existential horror of ever expanding BoBs and ASR so I know it can be so much worse), but sometimes the little stuff just drives me nuts.  The last three months have been a QA rollercoaster.  In December, I flunked my quality audit.  Oh my god, I put "were" instead of "was."  I can see how that's a critical error.  Hundreds of ...

Anyone Happy At Precyse? Just Started, Kind Of Nervous About Their Platform. NM
Sep 12, 2014

xxxxx ...