A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

How many spend considerable time correcting demographic errors? - Angie

Posted: Mar 21, 2013

I can't believe the number of errors entering the wrong demographics, apparently by the clients, that we have to research and clean up for zero pay!

*raises hand* Especially looking up patient names. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]

Could we discuss the legalities of this topic? - Duchess

[ In Reply To ..]
How about using white out? hmmm big NO NO in my book? Am I wrong to think this way? and yet, no one seems to think it is a big deal...patient's name changing from one chart to the next...Nickname used on one, legal name used on the next and then changed back?

Are there any ramifications for these kinds of things that you have no control over? and really don't want control over? If there is, what do I do to protect myself?

not sure what you mean about white out? - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Obviously, if it's the wrong patient's name, that's a problem. However, there is nothing wrong with one note saying "Sandra" and another note saying "Sandy". There are no legal ramifications to this, and there is nothing you have to "protect" yourself from. Not sure what you are talking about.

I'm talking about...sm - Duchess

[ In Reply To ..]
a form in the chart that has the patient's name handwritten and when an error is found, it's whited out. Or when a patient's name is put in legally and then changed again to a nickname...yep, happened, first time it was in as Jane S. Doe, next time the header was Janie S. Doe, along with the form that patient fills in for demographics, completely changed from what it was before....??? very confused here??? but keeping notes for myself just so I know what is correct or not because I care whether it's done right or not.

I see - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
You're right, white-out should never be used in medical documents. I also agree that the pt's legal name is the only name that should be on their chart, whether paper or electronic.

That said, I have seen patient charts modified incorrrectly because someone "thought" the name *should* be "Edward" when, in fact, the patient's legal name was "Eddie".

Either way, there is nothing you have to protect yourself from.
In the medical records department...SM - Old Anon
[ In Reply To ..]
where I worked for 9 years, every piece of paper in a patient's chart had an ID on it that was generated from a card (like a credit card) that originated in the admissions office. It included their name, MR#, admission episode, and date of admission. If they had multiple admissions, the MR# remained the same but the episode number would change and become a 2nd chart. Whatever name the patient gave when admitted was taken from 2 forms of ID, usually a license and their health insurance card. We very rarely saw nicknames, but if the patient's name was indeed, Eddie, that is what his admission info reflected. No one changed anything in the medical record as far as demographics. It was not necessary and it was just not done. As far as correcting demongraphics in a transcriptio platform, that's a whole different story. First of all, if a doc keys in the wrong patient ID number, say that of Sally Smith, and her demograhics populate the header, but then starts dictating on Joe Schmoe, we are required to find Joe Schmoe's info and populate the header correctly. There are no legal ramifications to doing this because Joe Schmoe is the correct patient, and his dictation belongs under his name. In fact, we are required to do this. I think the gal with the whiteout is talking apples when we are talking oranges. These are two very different scenarios. I hope you understand white out gal.

Similar Messages:

How Much Time Do You Spend On Demographics?
Apr 30, 2014

I have an account where the doctors never enter demographics. I'm spending 5 minutes on each report filling in demographics and cc's from doctors who only slur a last name.  Many partial doctor names need to be Googled.  If I do about 36 reports a day at 5 minutes each with demographic research then I'm spending 3 hours of my shift working for nothing!   How is it for the rest of you? ...

Why Do People Spend Time On This Board...
Mar 04, 2010

when you don't work for the "Q" ? Why do you care what is going on here?  I'm just curious.  ...

How Much Time Do You Spend Reading Email?
Jun 24, 2015

My QC sends out these extremely wordy emails several times a week.  I end up skimming them, for a couple reasons.  One, because I work on so many different accounts/hospital sites that I'm truly never going to retain any of the information anyway. Second, and most importantly, I DON'T GET PAID TO READ THEM! This can't be legal and has been bugging me forever.  Do they seriously think we get paid enough per line to "compensate" reading email?? What do you all do? ...

Correcting Spelling - Which Is More Time Efficient?
Nov 22, 2010

Fixing errors on the fly or letting them stay until you spellcheck the entire document?  If it's a they're/there/their type of error, obviously you have to fix it ASAP, but for the ones where your fingers just make a major flub that gets red lined, which do you find to be a better use of time?  I can't stand seeing all those red lines, so I almost always backspace and make the correction right away, but I'm wondering if that isn't more of a time waster than n ...

Demographic Info, Headers And Cc
Nov 18, 2013

Before I shoot my mouth off, I just wanted to verify, and I can't get a straight answer from management.  Is it REALLY REALLY REALLY true we do not get paid for demographic information/searching, cc searches and headers in text of report.  Is that correct??  Thanks guys, I am fuming in the Southeast ...

Automatically Logging Demographic Information
Nov 16, 2012

I'm trying to eliminate redundant work.  Is there a way to populate a document in Excel with demographic information entered in a patient's typed Word report?  Any thoughts or advice on tracking/logging typed work would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.  ...

1 Point Errors, Critical Errors.
Dec 08, 2012

I get dinged for leaving out words like the, and others.  I am now understanding that this is not the correct policy, that others are not getting critical error, major error, off one point for this.  So, am I being singled out? Because I thought this was the norm.  I'd like to know so that while I am hanging on every word and will continue to do so, I thought I was not the only one with this...thanks in advance for the update.  ...

How Long Do YOU Spend On A Blank?...
Apr 30, 2010

One of the team leads sent an email out emphasiziing the importance of exhausting all resources before leaving a blank.  I feel like I do.  Just curious, how long do you think is an appropriate amount of time to spend researching a blank?  I say 3-5 minutes max.  After all, we are paid on production.  ...

Do You Spend 80% Of Your Life Worrying About Your Bad Job
Jun 13, 2015

It just seems to me that many MTs spend the majority of their lives worrying about the next bad thing that their employer is going to do to them. No solution. It just occurred to me that a lot of lives are gettng wasted hour by hour because of employer abuse or perceived employer abuse. Your choice. ...

I So Wish Every Person Above Me On The MM Totem Pole Would Spend A Day Doing My Job.
Mar 13, 2012

Doing ASR, I feel like I am typing backwards all day long. It's like when I was in typing class in high school backspacing to correct all the errors. This ASR makes me feel like I am taking 2 steps forwards, 5 steps backwards all day. It's so demotivating. ...

How Many Hours Did You Spend As An Andrews Student A Week?
Jun 10, 2015

Their website says students spend 15 to 30 hours a week on coding practice and reading assignments.  I know everyone is different, with different abilities and other responsibilities, etc. but I am just wondering how many hours some of you spent a week while being an Andrews student?  I am going to start soon and I am getting excited! ...

If Everybody Has Been Correcting The
Mar 11, 2015

garbled mess ASR puts to Eliquis, for example, for a couple of years now & it still hasn't "learned" the term, I have doubts it's set to learn at all.... seriously.... ...

Correcting Grammar
Feb 05, 2010

Do you correct the dictator's grammer? My 12 year old niece just recently corrected my mom when my mom said she was laying in bed.  Taylor went on to explain the difference between laying and lying.  I learned that in school but certainly had forgotten that rule. When the dictator says "The patient is laying in bed", do you correct it to lying?  Just curious.  I've had no complaints and I hate sending out dictation with grammatical errors.  ...

? About Spelling/correcting
Feb 21, 2010

Anyone ever had this happen? You spell something and you know it's right, plain and simple - however, the doctor corrects you on it, but its still wrong!! Do you spell it "wrong" -just for him only- to make him happy so he doesnt think you're not doing your job right or do you keep on spelling it "right", which he says is "wrong"?   ...

Correcting VR Question.
Jan 08, 2013

Does anybody happen to know if there's a best way to correct VR to hopefully have it actually "learn"?  For example, is it better to completely delete and reinsert the "respiratory" part in an error like "respiratory clear breath sounds" by using my expansion for the capped RESPIRATORY: heading, or would it supposedly learn better if I used case change and added the colon?  In other words, are corrections to existing text better or deletions/insertions instead? I don't ...

Correcting The Dictators
Jul 11, 2013

Just a small rant here.  WHY in the world do companies tell US, the MT to change this or that when the DOCTOR says it?  An example....VR work, hospital policy is dates in numeric, so doctor dictates June 22, VR types June 22, but we have to change this to 06/22.  Hospital says don't say patient names, but doctor dictates Mr. Smith, VR types Mr. Smith and WE have to change to "the patient".   I mean, wouldn't it be MUCH more simple to just TELL the doctors to say it ...

When Correcting The V-wreck
May 22, 2014

I can't help but think of my days and months of training and if I consistently put out work like I am correcting, I would have been fired in a New York minute!!!  Please don't post the normal you can get out, it's your fault for staying, blah, blah, blah.  I just wish someone would listen as to what a mess this is and the chances of mistakes getting through because there are so many corrections and words that are not even medical or consistent with the report.  Just ...

I Am So Sick Of Correcting > 50% Of MM ASR For 4 Cents.
Feb 17, 2013

. ...

I Feel Like I Am Correcting ILP Work.
May 12, 2015

MM ASR output looks just like ILP work. We really should be getting paid at least 2x to correct this junk. If they are indeed running ILP work through to "train" the program, send it to the ILP! ...

Correcting Typos - Opinions/survey - Sm
Feb 11, 2011

Just curious - do you all correct any typos AS you type or wait to do it/them at the end of the report?  I do mine as I type; just curious if others have a better way. Also, each day have a different word that won't "TYPE" out right that day - today is  STONE....this is coming out SEONT...dyslexic today.  But each day it's a different word that just won't behave.  Always interesting to see what my fingers will pick each day.  Anyone else have this h ...

Please, MME, Use Your Brain When Correcting/filling In Blanks.
Dec 18, 2012

There has to be a fine line between vertabatim and what is transcribed. :- Blanks are sometimes left for a reason, and anyone with the knowledge they should have to do QA should know when the value and/or unit of measurement is impossible. The measurement unit the doctor dictated, probably by mistake, was impossible. If that value was so, that duct would have been half the height of the patient. Although, the doctor was ESL, so he may not have known the difference anyway. At least I know ...

Correcting Redundant Grammar And Dinged By QA
Aug 09, 2013

Okay, I just started working here and I've been trying to keep my reports perfect.  When a doctor says "past medical history," I've been just typing "medical history" because isn't past and history together being redundant?  I'm still on 100% QA and all my feedback has the "past" put back in.  I'm not on a verbatim account, so shouldn't me correcting this be okay?   ...

QA Errors
Oct 30, 2014

What do I do if QA marks me for a major error but I think they made a mistake? The really wierd part is that the feedback page says it was NOT modified. Seems so strange to me that QA wouldn't modify a report with a major error.  ...

Can I Have Some Opinions Please, Re Errors,
Dec 08, 2009

Does anyone here believe that sending a copy to the wrong doctor is a critical error?  I am beginning to feel picked on.  ...

CRITICAL ERRORS
Jun 15, 2010

Has anyone at the Q been getting hit by "critical errors" on crazy stuff that has never been an issue BEFORE?   All of the sudden, after no feedback for about a month, no audits, nada, zilch, I got my audit and was given critical feedback for not capitilizing a department! (recovery room, radiology suite, cardiac cath lab...)  AND, in a verbatim report, with a client profile that says specifically, DO NOT ADD A HEADING IF ONE IS NOT DICTATED, for NOT adding a heading!  This makes me nuts ...

SYNTAX ERRORS:
Aug 15, 2010

If we get a "syntax error" message on a post we have just made, how do we get back in to correct the error without losing the entire post?  Every so often I forget, and put an apostrophe in the subject line, and end up losing the entire post.  I've tried the "back" button, "Alt-Z" (undo), etc., but it's all gone once that syntax message appears. ...

Documentation Errors
Sep 15, 2010

I work in a surgery center/clinic in medical transcription. I have never worked in the medical field before, so I'm not sure what is acceptable. We get massive amounts of documentation errors from the nurses in the surgery center and in the clinic. Is this usually acceptable?! Is it normal for a transcriptionist to be required to scan over the chart and correct all of their errors or should this be the responsibility of the nursing staff? It's DRIVING me up a wall! I'd say 75 ...

What Is Your Job Like When You Get Overflow? What About Errors?
Mar 08, 2011

I am a relatively new MT with a pretty good track record at my current job. I have been working there for about 6 months. Well, we just got a new acct, and my company was understaffed. I have been working myself to death. I should be able to do more, but I am a new MT, and I do not type very fast (about 55-60 wpm, slower when I am tired). They have a certain amt of mins of dication you are supposed to complete each day, and they have been giving me more than that. I have been completing what I c ...

Errors Used As Amunition
Nov 03, 2011

I hate when the supervisors hold on to errors you have made not showing them until YOU have done something that upsets them.  tired of it. ...

Common Errors
Apr 12, 2012

PLEASE NO NEGATIVE FEEDBACK!  This is truly meant to be helpful, not snotty, threatening, or negative so I expect the same in return. Military time:  Lately I have seen a lot of reports where people are inserting colons in military time.  Colons are NOT used for military time unless the hour, minute, AND seconds are given.  If the CP states that time is transcribed "3:00 a.m." this is for "regular" time and not military time. Spacing:  TWO spaces after periods that end ...