A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Any M-Tec Grads on here? - KLS

Posted: Oct 04, 2010

I have been researching an MT career and schools for about 3 months now.  I would love to be a WAHM so I do not have to pay daycare like a LOT of mothers out there.

My SIL has been a medical transcriptionist for many years and is a walking advertisement for me. 

I am still not totally convinced to put thousands of dollars into M-TEC and get training just to end up that money in the hole and jobless.  I know there are no guarantees in life.  I just want this to be a stepping stone to get through my family planning stage of life and then go to nursing school.

I already hold one degree, but have a different passion in life now.  My pie in the sky is to land a job that will allow me to raise my kids and pursue my passion for educating and supporting women during pregnancy and birth.  My passion alone will not pay the bills though.

I would just really like to hear a nicely worded honest answer from any M-TEC students or alumni about their program and if this is something I should pursue for the next 7-10 years of my life.  Are their jobs available to M-TEC grads?

Thanks in advance for your insight.

You are on the right track - pedalpusher

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't know if many students/graduates check here, but you can go to their website www.mtecinc.com and talk to students and graduates if you like.

M-TEC Grad - M-TECer

[ In Reply To ..]
I graduated from M-Tec in April of this year. IMO, they are the best school out there, and I am not just saying that because I graduated from there.

M-TEC's name goes a long way in helping you find that 1st job. Their instructors are top notch, and they help you in so many ways to achieve a good solid education.

I graduated with a 98% GPA. The next morning I sent one resume out to the company that I wanted to work for the most. They responded within a couple of hours. I tested for them, passed, and was hired. All of that within 48 hours of graduating. There are companies out there that take notice when you are an M-TEC grad.

All of that being said, there are other good schools out there. Do your homework before paying anyone. Make sure that you will have support after you graduate. Good luck!

M-TEC Grad - HappyTypr

[ In Reply To ..]
I graduated M-Tec, after 20 months of studying, in July. I am happily working for a company that did not even test me because I was an M-Tec grad. I was off QA in 10 days because they were so impressed with my work, thanks to the curriculum at M-Tec. I don't know about the other schools, but the M-Tec name certainly has weight with these companies. Just keep in mind that you will need to study hard and long so that you can graduate on time and learn those basics that will help you succeed in this business.

M-TEC Grad - another Mtecer

[ In Reply To ..]
I graduated at the beginning of the year with a high GPA and found a job within 9 days. The company didn't even test me because I was an M-TEC grad.

Something to consider re M-Tec - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
WebMedx acquired M-Tec not too long ago. Hence, the reason those hired by WebMedx probably do not have to test for a position. However, be aware that WebMedx recently lost a very large account and laid off numerous MTs.

Re: Something to consider - M-TECer

[ In Reply To ..]
Students don't hear anything from Webmedx while in school. Neither do they give the students special attention. If a new grad wishes to apply with them, they have to test like anyone else, and they also have to have a high GPA in order to even test to begin with. That being said, M-TEC takes care of their graduates and provides them with many employment leads. There really are companies out there that test, but do not require an M-TEC grad to test. Their reasoning on this is that M-TEC grads are generally able to hit the ground running. Then there are companies that DO require us to test. It really just depends on where you want to apply.

M-TECer - I agree with you n/m

[ In Reply To ..]
n/m

Similar Messages:

Question For Andrews Grads/soon-to-be Grads
May 15, 2013

How long did it take you to go through their coding course?  Thanks! ...

New Grads, This May Help
Nov 01, 2010

The first must have e-book you can get from AHDI getting your foot in the door 2 years experience not required.  I wished I knew about this book right out of school.  I spent months researching and did exactly what the book says.  It gives tips on reference materials, test, companies and looking for a job, resume tips.  EXCELLENT BOOK!  If you can join AHDI they offer webinars on things that might be helpful to you.  I have also talked to countless MT's who say ...

$10.50 Per Hour, NO NEW GRADS
Feb 11, 2012

Has anyone else seen the ad?  They want at least 3 years of experience (no new grads), with VR experience (so presumably this is doing VR), and one of the positions is doing op notes (op notes being the most difficult of the Basic 4 of acute care).  They will start her out at the whopping rate of $10.50 per hour!! Below someone advised another MT to mow lawns or take in laundry; there's more money in those.  They were right. ...

Question For WGU Grads Please
Jul 16, 2012

How many of you WGU graduates have passed the CCS? Thanks! ...

Any Andrews Students Or Grads?
May 08, 2010

I wondered if there are any current coding students or graduates from Andrews around?  I'm close to enrolling in their coding program, and I would really love to hear from others who have taken the course.  ...

Grads:Certified Ratio
Nov 16, 2010

I am still deciding which coding school will be the best for me.  I was wondering what the grad:certification ratios are for these coding schools.  Does anyone know if this information is available to the general public? ...

Best Paying Company That Will Take New Grads?
Jul 10, 2013

x ...

Andrews Grads, A Question For You
Jul 11, 2013

I was wondering how many hours it equates to on the transcript?    Thank you ...

Andrews Grads Anyone Taken The ICD-10 Transition Course
Apr 08, 2014

I just wondered if there were any Andrews grads who have taken their transition course yet?  ...

Calling All Andrews Grads
Jan 20, 2015

What prior profession did you come from? Were you able to pass the CCS after graduation? How long did it take you to find a job? Did your CCS help even though you had no coding experience? What kind of entity are you working for? Are you glad you chose Andrews? Any other comments for me? (I am about to apply there) ...

Question For Andrews School Grads
Nov 20, 2013

Okay -- I think I've made my decision to not go back to my local community college after I finish ICD-9 fall semester.  I just don't feel it is giving me what I need, and it is not preparing me to pass anything.  Most of the students in my class are taking coding as just another class they have to pass so they can move on to something else.  I am paying a lot of money because I'm out of state, and I don't feel like I'm getting value.  I've n ...

Career Coding Step Grads??
Apr 21, 2015

Any Career Step grads on here who were able to get a good paying REMOTE job right after finishing the course? How long did it take you?  I know they only get you ready for the CPC and CCA (versus CCS).....and how soon after finishing were you able to sit for and pass the CCS?  ...

How Long Did It Take Andrews' Grads To Finish Course?
Apr 22, 2015

I'm getting ready to enroll in the Andrews program. I was just curious how long it took previous grads with families and working? I currently work 30 hours weekly & have 2 children. I realize it could be 12-18 mos. before I finish and everybody's different, so looking for a rough idea of how it went for others.  Thanks! ...

Andrews Coding Grads/students: Questions
Feb 03, 2015

Okay, I wrote the previous post, but I have a few more questions. Any help is appreciated. How much does the coding program cost? How long did it take you to complete, full-time or part-time? Did you feel job-ready when you finished the course? Are there any hidden fees for exams, etc.? If you went the Andrews for MT as well, how would you compare the intensity of the two courses?   I did attend Andrews for medical transcription 8 years ago, and I loved the program then. That is why ...

Caution To Students And New Grads - Scam Alert - Do MT Work (Internship) For Free
Mar 10, 2011

There is still another scam company out there offering to help "train" students and graduates. They will kindly let you do their real work, the work clients are paying them for. This is unacceptable and unethical. It will not look good on your resume because potential employers do not look kindly on this. If, for example, they find out that you did your 'internship' with XYZ Company, you will probably never know the reason why your resume was rejected or tossed.  Working for free ...