A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Andrews Grads, a question for you - minimolly

Posted: Jul 11, 2013

I was wondering how many hours it equates to on the transcript? 

Thank you

If you are asking ... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
If you are wondering if Andrews qualifies for getting one year of the AAPC credentials' 2-year experience requirement waived, yes, it does.

The AAPC course is in the range of 80 hours or something like that. In addition, Andrews teaches inpatient coding, A&P, pathophysiology, reimbursement& billing, phamacology, and so forth, so they are quite a bit more.

Did that answer the question?

I was asking for college purposes, but my hours don't transfer :( - sadtogothroughall again

[ In Reply To ..]
I looked at my transcript from Andrews and sent it to a CAHIIM-accredited college to get a bachelors, but was told today none of my credits from Andrews will transfer. Oh well, I will just go ahead and take my certification exams and then decide what to do. If I had realized at the time I would have opted to get my degree first, but since I wanted out of transcription I just jumped the gun. I am not sorry at all I took the classes from Andrews, I am just disappointed they aren't transferable to a regular college. So, I will have to take ALL of it again. I guess one good thing is I will be able zip through the coding, A and P, pathophysiology, pharmacology classes. :oD

You might be better off this way - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Even though you'll have to double up with repeat classes, when you get a coder job, your employer may very well have tuition reimbursement for your college classes... saves you a bit out of pocket.

You are better off this way - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
It would not make sense to wait 4-6 years to get a coding job that you could get now. You would lose more money the other way, not this way.

College credits aren't guaranteed to transfer, either. Schools are under no oblîgation to take them. Some would refuse to take credits from Harvard.

Check the school's policy on credit by exam. You can simply test out of those courses.

Also ask if they will give credit for coding if you have certifications. Some will.

While you are at it, check to see if they will take CLEP tests. You can knock out a lot of courses that way.
Good points! nm - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Similar Messages:

Question For Andrews Grads/soon-to-be Grads
May 15, 2013

How long did it take you to go through their coding course?  Thanks! ...

Any Andrews Students Or Grads?
May 08, 2010

I wondered if there are any current coding students or graduates from Andrews around?  I'm close to enrolling in their coding program, and I would really love to hear from others who have taken the course.  ...

Andrews Grads Anyone Taken The ICD-10 Transition Course
Apr 08, 2014

I just wondered if there were any Andrews grads who have taken their transition course yet?  ...

Calling All Andrews Grads
Jan 20, 2015

What prior profession did you come from? Were you able to pass the CCS after graduation? How long did it take you to find a job? Did your CCS help even though you had no coding experience? What kind of entity are you working for? Are you glad you chose Andrews? Any other comments for me? (I am about to apply there) ...

Question For Andrews School Grads
Nov 20, 2013

Okay -- I think I've made my decision to not go back to my local community college after I finish ICD-9 fall semester.  I just don't feel it is giving me what I need, and it is not preparing me to pass anything.  Most of the students in my class are taking coding as just another class they have to pass so they can move on to something else.  I am paying a lot of money because I'm out of state, and I don't feel like I'm getting value.  I've n ...

How Long Did It Take Andrews' Grads To Finish Course?
Apr 22, 2015

I'm getting ready to enroll in the Andrews program. I was just curious how long it took previous grads with families and working? I currently work 30 hours weekly & have 2 children. I realize it could be 12-18 mos. before I finish and everybody's different, so looking for a rough idea of how it went for others.  Thanks! ...

Andrews Coding Grads/students: Questions
Feb 03, 2015

Okay, I wrote the previous post, but I have a few more questions. Any help is appreciated. How much does the coding program cost? How long did it take you to complete, full-time or part-time? Did you feel job-ready when you finished the course? Are there any hidden fees for exams, etc.? If you went the Andrews for MT as well, how would you compare the intensity of the two courses?   I did attend Andrews for medical transcription 8 years ago, and I loved the program then. That is why ...

Any M-Tec Grads On Here?
Oct 04, 2010

I have been researching an MT career and schools for about 3 months now.  I would love to be a WAHM so I do not have to pay daycare like a LOT of mothers out there. My SIL has been a medical transcriptionist for many years and is a walking advertisement for me.  I am still not totally convinced to put thousands of dollars into M-TEC and get training just to end up that money in the hole and jobless.  I know there are no guarantees in life.  I just want this to be a stepping ...

New Grads, This May Help
Nov 01, 2010

The first must have e-book you can get from AHDI getting your foot in the door 2 years experience not required.  I wished I knew about this book right out of school.  I spent months researching and did exactly what the book says.  It gives tips on reference materials, test, companies and looking for a job, resume tips.  EXCELLENT BOOK!  If you can join AHDI they offer webinars on things that might be helpful to you.  I have also talked to countless MT's who say ...

$10.50 Per Hour, NO NEW GRADS
Feb 11, 2012

Has anyone else seen the ad?  They want at least 3 years of experience (no new grads), with VR experience (so presumably this is doing VR), and one of the positions is doing op notes (op notes being the most difficult of the Basic 4 of acute care).  They will start her out at the whopping rate of $10.50 per hour!! Below someone advised another MT to mow lawns or take in laundry; there's more money in those.  They were right. ...

Question For WGU Grads Please
Jul 16, 2012

How many of you WGU graduates have passed the CCS? Thanks! ...

Grads:Certified Ratio
Nov 16, 2010

I am still deciding which coding school will be the best for me.  I was wondering what the grad:certification ratios are for these coding schools.  Does anyone know if this information is available to the general public? ...

Best Paying Company That Will Take New Grads?
Jul 10, 2013

x ...

Career Coding Step Grads??
Apr 21, 2015

Any Career Step grads on here who were able to get a good paying REMOTE job right after finishing the course? How long did it take you?  I know they only get you ready for the CPC and CCA (versus CCS).....and how soon after finishing were you able to sit for and pass the CCS?  ...

Caution To Students And New Grads - Scam Alert - Do MT Work (Internship) For Free
Mar 10, 2011

There is still another scam company out there offering to help "train" students and graduates. They will kindly let you do their real work, the work clients are paying them for. This is unacceptable and unethical. It will not look good on your resume because potential employers do not look kindly on this. If, for example, they find out that you did your 'internship' with XYZ Company, you will probably never know the reason why your resume was rejected or tossed.  Working for free ...

M Tec Or Andrews?
Jun 03, 2010

I am an LPN looking into the field of MT.  I am tired of standing on my feet for 2-3 hour med passes and lifting and turning patients.  I am ready to work hard from home.  I understand that both M Tec and Andrews are great schools.  Is one better then the other?  How do experienced MT's feel about the two? Thanks!!  ...

Andrews
Oct 06, 2012

I'm considering Andrews coding, but would love some feedback for those who enrolled that had no medical or MT background. I have very little medical background and it seems the MT's are favored as they are more familiar with terminology.  For those enrolled how do you like the course?  Do you find the course interesting?  I already know its challenging! Thanks for any info you can provide! ...

Andrews Or CCO??
Feb 05, 2015

I'm trying to do as much research as possible into changing careers from MT to coding, and I've narrowed down my two choices of schools to Andrews and CCO (CodingCertificate.Org).  According to CCO's website, they now offer courses that will prepare you to take the CCS exam.  I've heard positive things about CCO, but I've also heard positive things about Andrews, and how thorough it is, but also that it's very difficult.  I would love to hear either f ...

Just Enrolled At Andrews!
May 11, 2010

Okay, so after much debate and research, I enrolled in Andrews course for coding yesterday! :)  Now I'm just waiting for my materials to arrive, reading over my 1st set of instructions, and trying to navigate my way through loads of information on the student forum.  All I can say is WOW.  I think this course is going to be wonderful and very challenging.  I'm actually a bit overwhelmed at the moment! LOL!  But I'm excited!     ...

Linda Andrews?
May 23, 2010

When this board first started up Linda was on here quite often but haven't seen her in a while.  Oh well, just noticing.  Wow, this board has taken off! ...

To Linda Andrews
May 25, 2010

Per the request you sent via email, I have tried to call the number you provided four times but only get your voicemail.  I did call during office hours.  If you wish to communicate, email me again and let me know when I can reach you.  I do not give out my number, which is unpublished for personal reasons, nor do I provide my email address to individuals I do not know personally.   ...

Why Is CS So Much Cheaper Than Andrews?
Aug 27, 2010

Just wondering what the difference in price is?  CS has a much more impressive website and they have been very good at answering my questions.  Why would they be so much cheaper? ...

CCS Without RHIT (Considering Andrews)
Feb 26, 2011

Coders: In a situation where a new graduate of a program has the CCS but not the RHIT, do you believe this would be an obstacle to finding employment? I notice some jobs say CCS or RHIT and some want both. I am weighing the pros and cons between attending a program that I know will prepare me to pass the CCS (Andrews) versus a program to earn a degree that will make me eligible to take the RHIT and, hopefully, pass the CCS. For background, I am a medical transcriptionist and also will graduate ...

For Those Of You Who Have Graduated From Andrews
Jan 19, 2012

Are any of you actually working as coders? ...

Andrews Students...
Feb 06, 2012

For those of you who are past or present Andrews students... how did you/are you paying for your course? I know you can either put a down payment or pay in full.  Just curious, thanks. ...

Deciding On Andrews BUT
Feb 26, 2012

I know Andrews does not give out any discounts on their $3,800 charge, but are there ways to get help lowering the cost through any organizations you are aware of?  Thanks. ...

I Did It! I Enrolled In Andrews
Mar 05, 2012

for medical coding. I'm excited and a little nervous. Looking forward to getting started. ...

Any Graduates Of Andrews Or M-Tec?
Sep 04, 2012

Would like to know if any graduates of Andrews or M-Tec became employed shortly after completing course and how much I could be expected to earn on a part-time basis (20 hrs/wk)? ...

Andrews School -- Job
Sep 19, 2012

I am an MT who was laid off from my job and I am seriously considering coding school.  So far, I am leaning towards Andrews, they sound the best.  My question is, will I be able to find a job that pays well afterwards?  I have looked at a few job postings online in my area and it looks like entry level coders are only 10 bucks an hour.  This concerns me as I don't want to put out a lot of money for coding school if I am not going to be making much money.  Also, ...

Andrews School...which Course To Take?
Nov 13, 2012

This may not be the right board, but I thought I would put it here. I have been interested in taking the coding course through Andrews for over a year now. I was just wondering if that is the way to go or if I should take a different course that they are now offering. They now offer billing and medical management. I know that medical transcription is out because I am already a transcriptionist and that is not going well. Any and all advice is welcome. Thank you. ...