A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Question for WGU grads please - sm

Posted: Jul 16, 2012

How many of you WGU graduates have passed the CCS? Thanks!

They have a 100% pass rate on the RHIA exam. - That trumps everything else

[ In Reply To ..]
WGU is not a coding program. It is an AHIMA-accredited informatics program leading to the RHIA. As in all RHIA programs, coding is taught, but all of health information administration is taught as well. They have a 100% pass rate on the exam, which covers coding and the rest of the domains. In addition, their grads have already passed a bunch of choice, high-demand computer exams, so they are well-prepared to get jobs. Informatics is the up and coming thing now since hospitals have to go electronic.

can the get jobs in coding? Yes. Without the CCS? Yes. Do some RHIAs eventually get the CCS? Yes but they will still get jobs without it. They are able to work for all the remote coding companies that require an RHIA. They also qualify for high-paying HIM jobs other than coding.

So, I don't know if they even take the CCS, but they do not need to.

I am in this program - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
We do not take the CCS exam. As the above poster said, we take the RHIA exam. This program doesn't cover much coding. It's more about technology and healthcare management. I really have no reason to take the CCS as I don't want to do coding. I want to be more on the informatics side, which is why a lot of people take this program.

I am in this program - sm - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
How is it going for you at WGU? Are you enjoying your studies? I am seriously considering going for the B.S. in Health Informatics.

I love it - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I cant study and take exams at my own pace. I've completed three classes in six weeks, but I also work full-time. This program is very challenging, but I feel that I am really learning and I have so much support from WGU. I forgot to add that the this program requires you to take the CCA exam.
Exams - MTCODER
[ In Reply To ..]
I have 120 college credit hours from an accredited college. I was one course away from graduating 15 years ago when life happened. I have extensive education in health care and have just finished an AHIMA approved coding program and will be sitting for the CCS shortly.

That being said, I want to finish a degree but I work full time and have an army of youngish children. I have extensively researched WGU and am very familiar with the program. I am weak on the technical side but exceed their admission requirements.

With that background in mind, when you say the courses are difficult what exactly do you find most challenging about them? Are they a lot of busy work so far? Lord I hate busy work. I understand the WGU curriculum is writing intensive but that is okay with me as that is my strong suit.

What about exams? On exams that require a proctor are you paying out of pocket for that service? Do you find you require a proctor often?

I cannot get a straight answer from WGU but in your experience if a person comes in with a CCS (a higher level credential than CCA) would they still require the CCA?

Do you feel that WGU is really very flexible? If you needed to take say a week off in the middle of October would that be a problem? I appreciate your time!
To answer your questions - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
If you have the CCS, then you do not have to sit for the CCA. There is a lot of reading and writing in this program. The hardest part of this course are the tech exams. These exams have to be taken at a proctored authorized Vue testing center. You have to schedule this test and it is already included in your tuition. There are other exams that you take at home via your webcam and they watch you take your test to make sure you're not cheating. There are also performance assessments which are just basically regular tests. WGU is very flexible, and you can take off as much time as you need as long as you finish at least two classes in six months, which is easy to do. If you are weak on the technical side, I think this would be your biggest challenge. The tech exams are pretty intense.
Materials cost question... - ...Looking at WGU...
[ In Reply To ..]
I've been considering WGU Health Informatics Program for a while now. If you do not mind sharing, what additional costs besides the tuition have you incurred for materials? They say "most" are included but that leaves a lot of wiggle room. Thanks in advance.
Have you asked them? - Wondering what they said
[ In Reply To ..]
I know the website says most, but did you ask them? It depends on the program, but there should be an estimated cost somewhere. I think I saw it. Try looking at the financial disclosure pages where they have to tell you the costs.

If you have not spoken to them yet, you should. They will answer your questions. WGU is not a diploma mill or a for-profit. Their tuition is astoundingly reasonable, especially for such a high-demand degree program. People pay more than 30K for the old fashioned paper-record RHIA at other universities with ALL book costs on top of that.

I would not let that concern hold you back. They are not being deceptive about this at all. They have no need to.

WGU stands for??? - curious

[ In Reply To ..]
Which school is WGU? I looked on the AHIMA site, and was not sure. Will be looking for course like this soon after I finish my coding classes. Thanks so much.

Western Governors University - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
:)

Similar Messages:

Question For Andrews Grads/soon-to-be Grads
May 15, 2013

How long did it take you to go through their coding course?  Thanks! ...

Any M-Tec Grads On Here?
Oct 04, 2010

I have been researching an MT career and schools for about 3 months now.  I would love to be a WAHM so I do not have to pay daycare like a LOT of mothers out there. My SIL has been a medical transcriptionist for many years and is a walking advertisement for me.  I am still not totally convinced to put thousands of dollars into M-TEC and get training just to end up that money in the hole and jobless.  I know there are no guarantees in life.  I just want this to be a stepping ...

New Grads, This May Help
Nov 01, 2010

The first must have e-book you can get from AHDI getting your foot in the door 2 years experience not required.  I wished I knew about this book right out of school.  I spent months researching and did exactly what the book says.  It gives tips on reference materials, test, companies and looking for a job, resume tips.  EXCELLENT BOOK!  If you can join AHDI they offer webinars on things that might be helpful to you.  I have also talked to countless MT's who say ...

$10.50 Per Hour, NO NEW GRADS
Feb 11, 2012

Has anyone else seen the ad?  They want at least 3 years of experience (no new grads), with VR experience (so presumably this is doing VR), and one of the positions is doing op notes (op notes being the most difficult of the Basic 4 of acute care).  They will start her out at the whopping rate of $10.50 per hour!! Below someone advised another MT to mow lawns or take in laundry; there's more money in those.  They were right. ...

Any Andrews Students Or Grads?
May 08, 2010

I wondered if there are any current coding students or graduates from Andrews around?  I'm close to enrolling in their coding program, and I would really love to hear from others who have taken the course.  ...

Grads:Certified Ratio
Nov 16, 2010

I am still deciding which coding school will be the best for me.  I was wondering what the grad:certification ratios are for these coding schools.  Does anyone know if this information is available to the general public? ...

Best Paying Company That Will Take New Grads?
Jul 10, 2013

x ...

Andrews Grads, A Question For You
Jul 11, 2013

I was wondering how many hours it equates to on the transcript?    Thank you ...

Andrews Grads Anyone Taken The ICD-10 Transition Course
Apr 08, 2014

I just wondered if there were any Andrews grads who have taken their transition course yet?  ...

Calling All Andrews Grads
Jan 20, 2015

What prior profession did you come from? Were you able to pass the CCS after graduation? How long did it take you to find a job? Did your CCS help even though you had no coding experience? What kind of entity are you working for? Are you glad you chose Andrews? Any other comments for me? (I am about to apply there) ...

Question For Andrews School Grads
Nov 20, 2013

Okay -- I think I've made my decision to not go back to my local community college after I finish ICD-9 fall semester.  I just don't feel it is giving me what I need, and it is not preparing me to pass anything.  Most of the students in my class are taking coding as just another class they have to pass so they can move on to something else.  I am paying a lot of money because I'm out of state, and I don't feel like I'm getting value.  I've n ...

Career Coding Step Grads??
Apr 21, 2015

Any Career Step grads on here who were able to get a good paying REMOTE job right after finishing the course? How long did it take you?  I know they only get you ready for the CPC and CCA (versus CCS).....and how soon after finishing were you able to sit for and pass the CCS?  ...

How Long Did It Take Andrews' Grads To Finish Course?
Apr 22, 2015

I'm getting ready to enroll in the Andrews program. I was just curious how long it took previous grads with families and working? I currently work 30 hours weekly & have 2 children. I realize it could be 12-18 mos. before I finish and everybody's different, so looking for a rough idea of how it went for others.  Thanks! ...

Andrews Coding Grads/students: Questions
Feb 03, 2015

Okay, I wrote the previous post, but I have a few more questions. Any help is appreciated. How much does the coding program cost? How long did it take you to complete, full-time or part-time? Did you feel job-ready when you finished the course? Are there any hidden fees for exams, etc.? If you went the Andrews for MT as well, how would you compare the intensity of the two courses?   I did attend Andrews for medical transcription 8 years ago, and I loved the program then. That is why ...

Caution To Students And New Grads - Scam Alert - Do MT Work (Internship) For Free
Mar 10, 2011

There is still another scam company out there offering to help "train" students and graduates. They will kindly let you do their real work, the work clients are paying them for. This is unacceptable and unethical. It will not look good on your resume because potential employers do not look kindly on this. If, for example, they find out that you did your 'internship' with XYZ Company, you will probably never know the reason why your resume was rejected or tossed.  Working for free ...