A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Is RHIT worth it? - sm

Posted: Sep 13, 2010

The hospital where I live has 4 openings for coders, but they all require that you have an RHIT certification.  I know in order to have this you must have an AA degree.  How many of you have this and would it be better to have this rather than study at Andrews or Career Step?

RHIT - Raine59

[ In Reply To ..]
I can't give you a simple yes or no as to whether getting an RHIT certification is worth it or not but I will tell you my experience. About 15 years ago, I took AHIMA's distance learning program (it was called a "correspondence course" back then) in medical records and got my RHIT certification (it was called ART back then). I had no previous experience in healthcare at all. I did pass the certification exam with no problem. Their course included coding but it was a fairly small part of the course. I thought I would be able to get a coding job and did get a couple of interviews but as I had no experience, they weren't really interested. And to be honest, I don't really think I had enough coding training in my course to be able to do a good job. So just to get my foot in the door, I took a transcription job. Quite honestly, the transcription part of my course wasn't any more extensive than the coding part was but somehow I muddled my way through. As it turned out, I liked transcription and stayed with that for quite a few years with the same hospital until we were outsourced to one of the large national companies and I went home to work on the same hospital I had been with. As the MT profession started to go down the drain, I decided to try to go back to coding but what little coding training I had was now 15 years old. So I decided to take a coding course and am now about 2/3 of the way through my program and hope to be able to get certified and then get a job though it's still hard to get into coding without experience. I think having an RHIT along with a coding certification will help but I wouldn't expect to be able to get a coding job with just that. But back to your question, I'm surprised that your hospital is expecting an RHIT but not a coding credential, although maybe the RHIT programs these days include more coding training than they once did. Is it possible you could contact someone either in personnel or HIM at the hospital and ask if they would consider a CCS or one of the other coding certifications? I hope this is some help.

Thanks so much for your helpful post! - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Agree with Raine and . . . - More

[ In Reply To ..]
Agree with what Raine said. Be sure about what they require. Some job ads have been on file in HR since 1990 and are just dragged out without anyone really looking closely.

It would be unusual for a facility to require an RHIT only. First of all, the RHIT doesn't demonstrate much in the way of coding. If this were a job coding inpatient, you would want to see a CCS. The CPC, CPC-H, and CCS-P all demonstrate higher coding abiilty than the RHIT.

And what about the RHIA? That's a 4-year degree. Do they not accept that????

If they truly required just the RHIT, I would wonder if the coding supervisor or HIM director had only that credential, with no coding certifications, and perhaps didn't want to worry that a newcomer would outshine him or her.

If there is an HIT program at the local college, it might be that this HIM director is trying to support them. You sometimes see requirements like this in college towns, especially if the person controlling the hiring is on the faculty.

You also might see something like this if the HIM director hadn't kept up with events in the field since 1990. I have seen HIM professionals who were simply unaware that there were coding credentials and/or what they meant. For instance, because the CCS doesn't require any college, some HIM folks think it's a lesser credential. But, you're not getting the credential for the amount of time you spent in school, but for the complexity and caliber of specialized work that you can do.

If it were true that an RHIT was the absolute requirement, I wouldn't qualify for it with an RHIA and several coding credentials. Then again, I wouldn't want to work for someone who was so small-minded or ignorant.

You can learn coding without having to spend 2+ years taking English, math, speech, and whatever else prerequisites and fillers a college requires. You also might benefit from learning coding in a less pressured environment with instructor facilitation if you need it--college coding is taught just like everything else . . . sink or swim. You often don't learn coding very well in college classes, as the substantial number of RHITs and RHIAs taking repeat coding courses indicates.

There are two ways to approach this. You can take the RHIT degree program which might not teach you coding very well, spending 2 or more years in it before being able to work. (A lot of them have so many prerequisites for required courses that you can't even begin the program for a semester or a year.)

Or, you can learn coding first and then finish up the rest of the courses for the RHIT later *if* you later feel that it would profit you. You might find that it won't help your job prospects or your income one bit -- it's *coding* that pays best. The jobs that RHITs do might not seem so appealing later. At that point, if you really want to do that, you can find an online college that will give you credit for your coding certification. Some will give you credit for several courses or will let you test out of them.

Finally, keep in mind that hospitals aren't the only sources of jobs for coders. There are more than 4 jobs in your community--probably hundreds of them--and most of them are at offices, clinics, ambulatory surgery centers, and so forth. The majority of those places won't care about an RHIT at all, but will require a coding certification focused on coding physician services, like the CPC, CPC-H, or CCS-P.

For a better view of the job market, please find the AAPC website (just add .com to that). There are salary surveys, information about non-hospital coding, and you can find your local AAPC chapter. Try attending a local meeting to meet some coders who probably aren't RHITs--you may get a much better perspective on things.

I meant RHIT in addition to CPC - thanks

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Similar Messages:

How Do You Get Your RHIT? Also Does It Pay More?
Aug 05, 2010

How does one go about getting their RHIT after the coding certifications?  Are there classes and schooling involved?  or just the exam?  thanks in advance ...

Should I Go For My RHIT Or
Sep 20, 2012

take a coding course? I cannot afford to do both at this time. I was also wondering if I were to go through HIM to get my RHIT if I could also get my CCS and CPC with just the HIM courses? I hope that makes sense. Thanks. ...

RHIT
Feb 12, 2013

Can anyone tell me if the RHIT degree is only useful for coding and billing?  What kind of jobs are available to an RHIT with an associates in applied science?  ...

RHIT Certification
Jan 05, 2010

Looking at college courses at the local community college, I figure I am two semesters away from an associates degree and ability to be RHIT certified.  Are you guys certified?  Is there online work for coding?  Is the pay decent?  In your opinion, is this a good move to make?  ...

CCS Without RHIT (Considering Andrews)
Feb 26, 2011

Coders: In a situation where a new graduate of a program has the CCS but not the RHIT, do you believe this would be an obstacle to finding employment? I notice some jobs say CCS or RHIT and some want both. I am weighing the pros and cons between attending a program that I know will prepare me to pass the CCS (Andrews) versus a program to earn a degree that will make me eligible to take the RHIT and, hopefully, pass the CCS. For background, I am a medical transcriptionist and also will graduate ...

RHIT Courses/certification
Jul 06, 2011

Hi, I was wondering if anyone in the Chicago area would care to comment on the RHIT associates degree course at College of DuPage?  Does it prepare  you well for the RHIT certification exam?  Is it a good preparation for the RHIA program you later pursued (I am thinking of University of Illinois-Chicago)?  I am an 18-year transcription veteran hoping to become a coder and then possibly a Direction of HIM eventually.  ANY help would be much appreciated!  Thanks in Ad ...

Terrified To Take The RHIT Exam
Feb 07, 2012

I got a degree in health information technology in 2007 by an AHIMA certified program. I did it after I got laid off from a transcription job and getting fed up, realizing I would be more marketable with the degree. I continued to work in QA at home and never took my RHIT because I was worried I'd fail and not get my money back for it. I feel like more doors would open up for jobs if I could get it. I wasn't very good with my coding classes and the statistics stuff plain old terrifies ...

RHIT Or Registered Nurse
Apr 15, 2012

Just wondering what the majority thinks about these career paths. It seems as though a lot of MTs are moving or considering a move  to the RHIT/RHIA world of especially medical coding. I am assuming that the lure of 'work at home' is pulling many in this direction, and I have actually seen where many are questioning whether medical coders are 'paid per code' or 'paid per case' or what? I asked myself what are these people thinking? Has anyone experienced this, ...

What Other Jobs Can Those With RHIT Credentials Do
Apr 26, 2012

Just curious what else RHIT's can do besides coding? ...

Should I Skip The RHIT And Go For RHIA?
May 09, 2012

So, I'm confused and could use some advice.  I am in an accredited HIT program all online to receive my AA degree and sit for the RHIT.  I have just two semesters left to complete the program.  I am very unhappy with the education I have received, and I am not sure I could even pass the RHIT.  I am considering quitting this program and enrolling in a bachelor program where I can sit for the RHIA (it's a healthcare informatics degree through WGU).  I am wonderin ...

MTs With RHIT Please, And How To Pick A School?
Nov 15, 2012

Wow, I'm a little confused. I hope to train for coding for if/when my in-house transcription job dries up, so I asked around the hospital about whether I should get my RHIT. (Yes yes I know I can't go into full-fledged coding the day I get the RHIT. I want to be in position to help out in the transition to ICD-10.) Response was positive, and they suggested any program accredited by AHIMA. Doesn't this leave out Andrews? People on this site seem to like Andrews. My state has ...

Wondering If Anyone Here Has Taken The RHIT Exam?
Nov 30, 2012

I am going to be taking it in February and I've already begun studying for it, but I'm wondering if I'm studying too early for it?  Or maybe there isn't even such a thing as studying too early?! I'm already freaking out about this test! ...

Former RHIT Looking To Get Back Into Coding
Jan 06, 2014

I have my AA degree and sat and passed for the RHIT about 10 years ago.  I worked as a coder for just one year before I decided to become an MT.  Obviously, this is a choice I now regret.  I no longer have my RHIT so I would need to study for it, but so much has changed since then and I'm not quite sure where I should go for refresher courses?  I've checked out AHIMA and they have a few options for me, but just wondering if anyone has any advice or if they've t ...

RHIT Vs. Coding Cert.
May 13, 2014

I am RHIT eligible and would definitely need a refresher before I took the test.  If I am looking for coding positions, would it be better to have a coding certification or the RHIT? Does it matter? ...

RHIT Prepare You For Coding
Jul 23, 2014

I see programs to sit for RHIT but does that prepare you for coding?  Is it required to get your CCA for that?  ...

Positive Stories Of Getting A Job With A RHIT
Dec 28, 2014

Are there any positive stories of getting a job with a RHIT? I've read a lot of stories of a RHIT being a waste of time, but can anyone give me positive examples of getting a job with this degree? ...

Can You Take The RHIT Or CCS Having Just Finished Coding School?
Apr 01, 2010

I am thinking about taking a billing/coding class, but noticed that getting a job after that involved having the RHIT or CCS.  I am wonding if this will be a catch 22 and don't want to spend time in school for coding if I cannot pass these 2 tests when I am done, as it looks like I will not be able to get hired without these certificates.  Sorry about the confusion on this.  Thanks for your time and info. ...

Career Change - RHIT, Coding And LPN?
Aug 02, 2011

I've been an MT for 10 years but for the past year I have been in school working towards an AA degree in Health Information Management.  I would like to be an RHIT and do coding somewhere.  However, I like it but not enough to want to do this for the rest as my life as I am only 34.  I love the medical field and want to stay in it but am thinking of switching my major.  I think maybe switching to LPN and then eventually become an RN.  I think that I might enjoy working with people more ...

RHIT And Medical Coding Future
Oct 09, 2011

Does anyone have good input on whether medical scribes are the new medical transcriptionists only being filled my medical students, medical assistants or a part-time or piecemeal clerk at a lower rate (hourly or by piece) than medical transcriptionists -- if lower pay is even possible? Also, what are any inputs on RHIT and the medical coding future? I already have a bachelor's degree but thought about another associate degree in RHIT in a CAHIIM accredited program. From your viewpoint, wou ...

RHIT Or RHIM Can Transcriptionist Get There Or Do We Have To Start From
Aug 17, 2012

I'm trying to even just get HIM classes at my community college and even though I have a bachelors degree in education, then "back then - 14 years ago" when I was going from teaching music to medical transcrtiption they only had me take 3 classes and I got hired right away as a transcriptionist - I have since then transcribed for 13 years from home -- now think maybe I better go RHIT or RHIM and my local community college is saying I have to start from square 1 and go for an associates in H ...

RHIT DEGREE VS CODING CERTIFICATION
Feb 13, 2013

In researching an HIT degree, I have mostly come across job descriptions that include coding.  I am currently a medical transcriptionist and jobs are now being shipped off shore.  Are coding jobs being shipped off shore as well?  And, if so, what would the benefit be of a degree in Health Information Techology?  What jobs are available other than coding and medical records? ...

RHIT/RHIA Program That Also Prepares For CCS?
Feb 19, 2014

I am a current MT and am looking to start the transition to coding/HIM.  I already have a bachelor's degree in business. I know I would like to work in hospital coding, at least initially, so I want a very good foundation in coding.  This always leads me to Andrews school, as I definitely want to obtain the CCS to help my prospects.  However, I am also open to other possible opportunities in HIM, and it seems that an HIM degree/RHIT or RHIA would be beneficial to have in tha ...

Going To Go To School For RHIT, Does It Matter If It Is Accredited Through CHAIIM
Nov 13, 2014

I have gone through coding school.  I am not credentialed and it's been about 2-1/2 years since I finished school.  So, I am rusty in the guidelines and  thought just going for an Associates would be beneficial.  So, I wondered if it really matters if the school program is CHAIIM accredited, or if any AAS degree in Health Information program will be okay and then get the RHIT crendential.      Thank you in advance greatly! :)  ...

Sum CDs Worth?
Nov 25, 2009

I was a student at M-TEC and dropped out. I have all 3 SUM CDs still. One is opened and 2 are still sealed. I just don't know what these are worth and can't find anyone selling them that has a listed price anywhere. Thanks in advance for your help on this!   ...

Is It Worth It?
Feb 18, 2012

Editing at .04 cpl, is it worth it? For 250 lines per hour, that is $10 an hour. Maybe that is good considering we work at home? Seeking opinions, please. Not trying to start a war. ...

What We Are Worth
Mar 08, 2012

I invite any person of management in any MTSO to sit at their computer for an entire shift and see what we go through day after day and see if they feel they are being paid a proper, living wage.  There are way too many factors that eat into the paltry wage we start out with, and it's high time this was recognized as an occupational hazard and we are duly compensated.  It's only going to get worse, not better, if something isn't done.  Of course, I realize nobody r ...

Getting Out Is So Worth It
Mar 20, 2012

Looking for a job is terrifying, heart-in-throat time.  On the other hand...you discover there are jobs with YEARLY EVALUATIONS (yes!)...RAISES (double yes!)...PROMOTIONAL OPPORTUNITIES (I can't believe it!)...absolutely stunning, you don't realize how brainwashed you are, how hammered you are, till you GET OUT. Scared...but free. Don't think of it as shaking like a leaf.  Think of it as fluttering like a butterfly. ...

We Are Worth More
Apr 22, 2012

We are worth more in so many ways.  I am very disheartened with the way things have changed in our profession.  We used to be paid much better, and have a better chance of moving up the ladder as well.  Now we are almost at poverty level on wages.  I really don't understand how anyone can expect people who are very highly trained and specialized in this field to live on what we are being paid, or to treat us as if we are second-class citizens.  I would challenge any ...

What You Are Worth
May 12, 2012

I'm curious.  How many of you cheering on this lawsuit think that things will change in a way that you will be paid "what you are worth?"  And what are you worth?  I mean seriously?  Is someone who does a lousy job as valuable as someone who does a stellar job?  Is someone with a shoddy education as valuable as someone with a first-class education?  How about those with no formal education at all? What is it you all think you will really accomplish with a law ...

New MT Is It Worth It?
Aug 18, 2012

I graduated a year and a half ago from a very good MT school. I graduated with high honors and felt ready to tackle this profession. I wanted to do this because it has always been my dream to be a stay at home mom and with this profession I felt like I got the best of both worlds. When I researched MT are suposed to make 30K or more. So I figured as a newbie maybe 20K or even 18K. Wow was I wrong. I got hired about 2 months out of school which was a huge relief but things rapidly went down hill. ...