A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Can you take the RHIT or CCS having just finished coding school? - wondering sm

Posted: Apr 01, 2010

I am thinking about taking a billing/coding class, but noticed that getting a job after that involved having the RHIT or CCS.  I am wonding if this will be a catch 22 and don't want to spend time in school for coding if I cannot pass these 2 tests when I am done, as it looks like I will not be able to get hired without these certificates.  Sorry about the confusion on this.  Thanks for your time and info.

Not all jobs require that - Redpen

[ In Reply To ..]
You can take the CCS exam regardless of whether you've taken a course or not--all that is required is a high school diploma.

The RHIT is a health information management credential, not a coding credential. It requires completion of an associate's degree program in HIM.

Not all jobs require an RHIA or RHIT. Lots of coders have neither, and they don't have any trouble finding excellent jobs.

If you keep seeing only jobs that require RHIAs and RHITs, then you're not looking far enough or in the right place. I'd guess that very few of the jobs on the AAPC website require those credentials.

I know literally hundreds of coders who make up to 70K or more. Very few are RHIAs, a few more are RHITs, a few have AHIMA coding credentials, but the majority are AAPC credentialed.

And, yes, it is entirely possible to get a job in coding without having any credentials at all.

It sounds like coding is better than MT. - Thank you for the info!! sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I was and am just so nervous that taking coding classes would be a waste of time, but I am looking for something that pays better than MTing. My concerns are how difficult it would be to break into coding and that I would still be making minimum wage. Obviously I am just very frustrated with MTing and am looking for a more decent job.

Response - Redpen

[ In Reply To ..]
No matter what occupation you choose, getting a job requires a lot of work. Getting a first job requires a lot MORE work and you have to start at the bottom, not the top.

There is a pervasive view that all college graduates are snapped up into jobs of their choice, but it's a false view. A lot of computer science and accounting grads end up never working in the field at all, and this is true of any field.

Your concerns are valid. You owe it to yourself to find out how the job market works in your area and nationally. This information is readily available through networking with memgers of professional organizations and by obtaining salary information those organizations post on their websites.

The federal government publishes job outlook information which indicates health information technology (the field containing coding) is a good choice. Both of the professional organizations and Advance for HIM publish salary survey information on their websites.

I won't post the links because they change and because it will be a good experience for you to find this information yourself. In particular, go to the AAPC website and the Advance for HIM website and find their salary surveys. You'll see decent incomes listed there. From the AAPC website, you'll also see that there are a lot of coders who have jobs--that entire organization wouldn't exist if there weren't enough coders to need it.

Also find the contact information for the local AAPC chapter. Make a point of attending one of their local meetings so that you can meet working coders and see for yourself that there ARE jobs and determine your chance of success. Not one person there started at the top and not one person there was handed a job on a silver platter, but they're all working.

I can tell you that I don't make minimum wage and that nobody I have ever seen in coding makes minimum wage, but you have no reason to believe me. This is something you will need to ascertain for yourself.

Get the information you need to make an intelligent, informed decision so that if you decide to tackle coding you'll be able to devote your best effort toward it. You're on the right track--information-gathering is what you're supposed to do at this point. Just don't stop with taking anyone's word for it. The people here don't know the information you need, but you can find it at the websites I mentioned.

Redpen, ? - Jan

[ In Reply To ..]
Can you explain the difference in job duties of a CCS (hospital) and a CCS-P (also hospital)? One hospital is looking for a CCS, the other hospital is looking for a CCS-P. What would one expect going from one to the other? I have read the descriptions on AHIMA, but I would like to hear from someone in the field who has seen the difference first hand. I have seen conversations about テャテつ「テδッテつソテつステδッテつソテつスthe facility sideテャテつ「テδッテつソテつステδッテつソテつス and the テャテつ「テδッテつソテつステδッテつソテつスpayer or physician side.テャテつ「テδッテつソテつステδッテつソテつス

Please check the ad again - Redpen

[ In Reply To ..]
Before I answer, look back at the ad again and check to see that the second hospital is looking for a CPC-P. Are you sure it's a CPC-P? Not a CCS-P or CPC-H?

If it does say CPC-P, what does it say about the job duties?

I ask because it's unusual for a hospital to want a CPC-P. Unusual, but not unheard of. I just want to make sure it's a CPC-P for sure, and not a CCS-P.

I can still answer if you don't have the information, though. :)

CCS-P or CPC - Jan
[ In Reply To ..]
I don't have the first ad, but it was a hospital looking for a CCS. The other ad is looking for a CCS-P and/or Certified Professional Coder CPC. It is a medical center. Basically, I just want to know what a "pro" or "payer" coder would be doing as opposed to just a hospital inpatient/outpatient coder. Thanks!
Differences - Redpen
[ In Reply To ..]
Basically, the one hospital wants an inpatient coder who can code inpatient stays. The other wants a coder who can code the facility portion of things like ambulatory surgeries, cardiac caths, chemotherapy, dialysis, or whatever it is that the hospital provides for outpatients.

The whole concept of inpatient versus outpatient in coding is an oversimplification. It's the general breakdown of services and also the main division in the coding rules, but there is a lot more to it than that.

Inpatient coders code an entire stay of a patient who was admitted to the hospital. That might be a day, a week, or a month. They sum it all up in one set of ICD-9-CM codes using certain rules. The CCS covers this type of coding in particular.

Hospitals do more than just inpatient stuff, though. They have diagnostic services like x-rays and lab, and they have outpatient surgery centers, nuclear medicine centers, and so forth. When patients come to the hospital for a day to use those services, and they are not formally admitted, those services are coded using outpatient rules for ICD-9-CM diagnoses and CPT procedures.

The inpatient and outpatient diagnosis rules are slightly different and the procedure coding rules are slightly different. This difference makes it more challenging to learn and use both types of coding.

Notice that the hospital itself does not DO the surgery or interpret the x-ray. It provides staff to help with the surgery and take the x-rays, but a professional provider has to actually show up and DO the surgery or READ the x-ray. There are thus two parts to these services -- the facility part and the professional part.

The medical center is going to code their part themselves. They'll code for the use of the OR, the recovery room, and everything on their side. The doctor who did the operation or read the x-ray will code their part of it, too. You then have two separate sets of codes being submitted to the payer, the facility portion and the professional portion.

In fact, when a patient is admitted to the hospital, the inpatient codes cover the facility part of the procedures, but the doctors still code and bill their own services. The doctors will also code and bill their professional services for seeing the patient, reading x-rays, etc.

The CPC covers the ICD-9-CM and CPT coding for these outpatient services, both the facility part and the physician part.

However, things become more complicated as time goes on. At very small facilities, a single coder might do everything. At larger facilties there is too much and it is a lot to remember--it's hard to juggle all the differences. It might be more effective for coders to specialize. There are thus the CCS-P and CPC-H credentials which kind of cover the facility part of the game.

The CPC-P, or payer, credential kind of covers what all the above looks like when it is viewed from the side of the insurer (the entity which will be paying).

These aren't hard and fast exclusionary differences, either. The CCS talks about CPT procedures, and some inpatient coders also assign CPT codes to their inpatient stays, and some ambulatory surgery coders at facilities might assign ICD-9-CM procedures, as well as CPT, for the benefit of the hospital's database.

There is overlap among the credentials. They're all kind of different, though. It's not really possible to say that one is the equivalent of another offered by a different organization. They're all unique and slightly different. They test different things and their focus differs.

Generally speaking, if you have either a CCS or a CPC, you're going to be ok. Those are where most people start out. If you have both, you're really doing well. If you have a need for one that is more specific, you can get that one, too.

Now, too, there are subspecialty credentials. The one in interventional radiology and cardiology offered by the AAPC is notoriously difficult and very valuable, too.

The one thing that is never appropriate, in my opinion, is credential-bashing. As I pointed out above, all of these credentials demonstrate mastery-level skill, but do so in different areas. In my experience, the exams offered by one organization are not easier than those offered by the other--they're just different.

What do schools teach? Some teach "generic" one-size-fits-all coding. This may be inpatient only or or a mush of inpatient/outpatient. The student has an overview, but can't really do either well enough to work without substantial OJT. Other schools teach only outpatient coding. Still other schools teach both outpatient and inpatient coding separately, so that students can see and understand the differences.

Do experienced coders typically code everything? No, they quite often specialize. Many prefer whatever type of coding they began with and stayed with, and they may heartily dislike the other type. As with anything in life, we're more comfortable if we're familiar with something. Long-time inpatient coders seem to have the most difficulty switching, while outpatient coders can pick up inpatient with little difficulty, often thinking it is easier because it doesn't use CPT. Of course, everyone is different, so this doesn't hold true for everyone.

I hope that answered your question!
Yes - Jan
[ In Reply To ..]
It answers it perfectly, thank you! I work in a small hospital and have my CCS and CPC-H. I got the CPC-H instead of the CPC or CCS-P because I thought I never wanted to work at an office for physicians - only hospitals. I mostly code OP surgeries and some inpatient so am lucky to do both. But, I am also kind of blind to the テ「徙ther side,テ「 the payer side. When I start looking around for greener pastures and they want a CCS-P or CPC, I wonder how big a change it would be or if they would accept other credentials when they specifically are asking for CCS-P. Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Similar Messages:

MTs With RHIT Please, And How To Pick A School?
Nov 15, 2012

Wow, I'm a little confused. I hope to train for coding for if/when my in-house transcription job dries up, so I asked around the hospital about whether I should get my RHIT. (Yes yes I know I can't go into full-fledged coding the day I get the RHIT. I want to be in position to help out in the transition to ICD-10.) Response was positive, and they suggested any program accredited by AHIMA. Doesn't this leave out Andrews? People on this site seem to like Andrews. My state has ...

Newbie Who Just Finished School
Nov 06, 2009

I just finished MT school/training and am beginning to look for jobs. I live in a small town so I'm sure I'll do work from home.  However, I am as nervous as heck because I don't know if I can manage 98% on most tests.  I haven't yet taken an employment test, but by the time I finished school I was hovering around 96-97 and just couldn't seem to get any better.  Do I even have a chance here?  ...

Going To Go To School For RHIT, Does It Matter If It Is Accredited Through CHAIIM
Nov 13, 2014

I have gone through coding school.  I am not credentialed and it's been about 2-1/2 years since I finished school.  So, I am rusty in the guidelines and  thought just going for an Associates would be beneficial.  So, I wondered if it really matters if the school program is CHAIIM accredited, or if any AAS degree in Health Information program will be okay and then get the RHIT crendential.      Thank you in advance greatly! :)  ...

Former RHIT Looking To Get Back Into Coding
Jan 06, 2014

I have my AA degree and sat and passed for the RHIT about 10 years ago.  I worked as a coder for just one year before I decided to become an MT.  Obviously, this is a choice I now regret.  I no longer have my RHIT so I would need to study for it, but so much has changed since then and I'm not quite sure where I should go for refresher courses?  I've checked out AHIMA and they have a few options for me, but just wondering if anyone has any advice or if they've t ...

RHIT Vs. Coding Cert.
May 13, 2014

I am RHIT eligible and would definitely need a refresher before I took the test.  If I am looking for coding positions, would it be better to have a coding certification or the RHIT? Does it matter? ...

RHIT Prepare You For Coding
Jul 23, 2014

I see programs to sit for RHIT but does that prepare you for coding?  Is it required to get your CCA for that?  ...

Career Change - RHIT, Coding And LPN?
Aug 02, 2011

I've been an MT for 10 years but for the past year I have been in school working towards an AA degree in Health Information Management.ツ I would like to be an RHIT and do coding somewhere.ツ However, I like it but not enough to want to do this for the rest as my life as I am only 34.ツ I love the medical field and want to stay in it but am thinking of switching my major.ツ I think maybe switching to LPN and then eventually become an RN.ツ I think that I might enjoy working with people more ...

RHIT And Medical Coding Future
Oct 09, 2011

Does anyone have good input on whether medical scribes are the new medical transcriptionists only being filled my medical students, medical assistants or a part-time or piecemeal clerk at a lower rate (hourly or by piece) than medical transcriptionists -- if lower pay is even possible? Also, what are any inputs on RHIT and the medical coding future? I already have a bachelor's degree but thought about another associate degree in RHIT in a CAHIIM accredited program. From your viewpoint, wou ...

RHIT DEGREE VS CODING CERTIFICATION
Feb 13, 2013

In researching an HIT degree, I have mostly come across job descriptions that include coding.  I am currently a medical transcriptionist and jobs are now being shipped off shore.  Are coding jobs being shipped off shore as well?  And, if so, what would the benefit be of a degree in Health Information Techology?  What jobs are available other than coding and medical records? ...

Has Anyone Very Successfully Finished Their Coding Courses Only To.....
Dec 02, 2013

Feel that it's not really what you want to do?  I finished my coding course at Andrews and truly don't feel that's what I want to do.  I feel disappointment in myself because I invested that much time in school and did very well, but I feel it's not really the job for me.  I was just wondering if anyone else has gone through this or anything similiar? Did you just stick with it until you found a job and did your feelings change?   I kept try ...

Has Anyone Ever Gone Through Allied School For Coding? Other School Recommendations?
Jun 24, 2014

I was wondering if anyone has ever gone through Allied School in California for billing & coding.  If so, how was your experience?  Were you able to find work in coding after finishing the course and getting your certification?  I have been a medical transcriptionist for the past 10-11 years and am now looking at getting into coding.  My best friend and I are going to take a course together.   If you wouldn't recommend Allied as a school, who would you reco ...

Coding School - Fate Of Coding Due To EMR
Apr 10, 2012

Wondering if there are any coders out there who can give me an idea of the fate of coding due to the EMR. Are there still coding jobs out there? Would it be wise to attend school for coding at this point or do you think it will be lost to the EMR eventually? I live in a rural area and there are advertisements for registered/accredited coders at medical facilities, but I'm afraid of spending all that time and money on schooling only to not be able to find a job. Any information/insight w ...

Coding School - Considering Going To A School
Sep 22, 2011

I am an MT who is considering going to school for coding.ツ I am thinking about taking the course through Andrews and will probably start next year because I will have to save up some of the money.ツ I am wondering if you think coding may eventually go the way of medical transcription and be outsourced to India.ツ I do not think it will so I just wanted to get the opinions of other coders.ツ I realize it will be a hard course but I think it will be worth the effort.ツ Any thoughts would be appre ...

Coding School????
Nov 04, 2010

Hi, I am looking into taking courses through a local community college for coding and wanted to know if this would be adequate enough to find a job once I have finished. It is a 32 credit hour program and stated that I would have a medical coding certificate once I completed the courses. I just don't want to spend money on a school/program that won't do me any good once I finish. I already feel I did this with my medical transcription course and don't want to waste any more money. ...

Has Anyone Gone To School For Coding At
Jul 08, 2011

I know they only have campuses in Wichita KS, Tulsa OK, Joplin MO, but I was just curious if anyone had gone there. TIA! ...

Coding - Getting The First Job After School
Jan 21, 2013

Question for all the coders - A young friend of mine is about to graduate from a community college with a 2-year degree in Healthcare Administration, with a good deal of her school work covering coding, billing, and insurance. She will have a new baby soon and wants to work from home as a coder (or other close field, if you can suggest one). I think I know the answer (if coding is like MT), but, is that possible? What companies, if any, hire newbies, or what is the best way to get ...

What School Did You Go To For Coding?
Jul 27, 2013

What school did you go to to learn coding? Do you feel it taught you enough to be a good coder? ...

In 2003 I Went To Coding School, I Am Also An RN
Mar 02, 2010

I can't find a job.  Sometimes it is because I am too old. maybe my coding experience is too distant. Anyone know anyone who got a got thru the board.   Thanks Maria ...

Coding School - Already Know 75% Of The Coursework Having Been An MT
Jul 14, 2010

I am taking an online coding and billing course and the frustrating thing about it is I already know 75% of the coursework having been an MT for 100 years. I know medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, the anatomy of a medical record, etc. So I skip through and take the module test and move on. There are those on this forum who say MT experience doesn't help when transitioning to coder/biller. Can anyone elaborate on why they say this? ...

Feedback From Those Of You In Coding School
Aug 13, 2010

How are classes going for you?  Is coding what you thought it would be?  I have to say that there is much more to learn than I thought there would be but I really enjoy the research that is involved in the coding process, it is so important to read everything!  Learning the sequencing of codes has probably been the most difficult thing for me so far (I'm having trouble with the septicemia codes), but I understand a little more each day.  The ICD-9 coding guidelines defin ...

What Coding School Did You Enroll In?
Dec 10, 2010

I received a response from my previous post about coding. Can any of you post what schools you were enrolled in, now or in the past. There are so many out there. I thought I would be able to get a few from you, so I could their their respective websites. Also, did most of you enroll for online education or go onsite to school. Thanks. ...

Andrews School Of Coding A
Dec 19, 2010

Andrews School of Medical Coding and Transcription........... Just wanted to say a few words about Andrews School of Coding. 3 years ago I finished an AHIMA accredited program for Health Information, going through the program I realized there were some gaps that I needed to fill in on the coding end. I love AHIMA and being part of the organizaiton, and look forward to working in the field for a long time.  What I am finding with Andrews is that they offer an indepth, hands on training spe ...

Coding School - Looking Into Programs
Jul 13, 2011

I am looking into coding programs and have it narrowed down to possibly two.ツ They are Andrews and Kaplan University.ツ Does anybody have any experience with any of these that could help me with my decision. Also, are there any other coding programs out there that are worth looking at? Thanks. ...

Coding School And Certification
May 04, 2012

I am presently training in a new position at a physician's office.ツ I will be doing coding and billing.ツ I have coded in the past but I would like to go to school and become certified.ツ Can anyone please direct me in a good program rather on line or in the middle Tennessee area?ツ I have been an MT since 1986 and sadly this is a dying art.ツ Thank you. ...

Which Online Coding School
Jul 09, 2013

Can anyone please tell me which online coding school is the one to go to.  I have been in transcription for the past 10 years and I am literally terrified about what is going on with this business.  I still need something at home because I have little ones still running around.  I know coding is very hard to get into but so was transcription when I first started so I am willing to make the transition.  I was literally in tears yesterday when it was the 4th consecutive day wit ...

What's The Best Coding School Outside Of Andrews?
Aug 03, 2013

I was wondering what the best coding school is, other than Andrews? ...

CODING SCHOOL - Where To Start?
Feb 07, 2014

Can anyone give me an idea where to start and how to choose an online class for coding?ツ I've looked at so many and need a better idea of what the most important aspect I am looking for is?ツ Andrews, Codingcertificate.org, Careerstep, etc. HELP please! ...

Coding/billing School
Apr 26, 2014

I am wanting to go into billinig/coding.  There is a tech school very close to my home. They have coding/billing  program  which takes 1 year to complete full time.  I am wondering this:  How much does a newbie make just starting out in either billing or coding and what are my chances of getting a newbie job right out of school?  Thanks for the info. ...

Billing/Coding School Recommendation Sm
Jun 28, 2010

Thinking of taking billing/coding courses since transcription is going downhill.  Any good on-line schools that are AHIMA accredited?  Do you have to take courses only accredited by AHIMA?  What about their courses?  Any suggestions and/or help would be appreciated.  (Also, I don't want to take a course that takes years to complete.)  Thanks in advance! ...

Not Happy With The Coding School I Chose
Jun 27, 2011

I put a lot of research into my decision and decided to spend the extra money and go with a school that got a lot of great reviews and offered a format that I felt would fit my learning style the best.  One of the benefits of this school was that you are assigned an instructor who is there to answer your questions whenever you need them, etc.  Well after getting a 1/4 of the way through the program, I am finding that my instructor takes a week to 10 days to get back to me.  I han ...