A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Is medical coding a better way to go now rather than transcription? - Jan

Posted: Mar 29, 2011

Is medical coding now a better way to go rather than transcription?

Some people prefer one over the other - Bo

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't think either one is better than the other, but they are different.

Most coders don't work at home.

Transcriptionists are paid on production and have to have good typing, spelling, and grammar skills.

Coders can sometimes make better money because of benefits since they work on-site.

Coders don't have to type so much.

Those are just some differences to consider. There probably are many more. Personally, I am not really sure which I like better. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Some people prefer one over the other - Bo - Jan

[ In Reply To ..]
I guess I was referring mostly to all the lousy medical transcription companies out there, lousy pay by line, lousy training of all the different clients. Are coders paid by the hour? Thanks.

I think most coders are paid hourly and not on production - Bo

[ In Reply To ..]
There may be some exceptions of course.
coders - Viva
[ In Reply To ..]
Coders are generally paid hourly but I don't know how many reports they are expected to finish in that amount of time.
coding involves careful detective work to find exactly the right codes, not too many, not too few.

coding vs. transcribing - Nell

[ In Reply To ..]
You are sooo right. Most of the medical transcription companies are lousy to work for, 1) because they are greedy and would rather pay you by the line than hourly (a rip off since they are paying now what they did 20 years ago), 2) they are usually too busy to train properly, and 3)they have cornered the transcription market so now you can very rarely find an inhouse transcriptioin position or get paid hourly. Coders have to take their time and do the job right. The same is true for medical transcriptionists or at least until someone got the bright idea to make it a production job. This makes for a lose-lose situation. People who are getting paid by production are not going to take the proper amount of time to do a good job, there is no money in it for them. The transcription companies don't care as long as the work gets churned out and hopefully nobody will notice the mistakes and poor grammar, etc. in the reports, especially if the work was outsourced to India. It is all about greed. Since you want to make money, I would opt for the coding job, and you won't have to spend tedious, countless hours trying to understand foreign speaking dictators.
those countless hours - dnh
[ In Reply To ..]
as a coder you can spent your tedious, countless hours trying to decipher illegible or conflicting and confusing documentation instead!
Agree - jm
[ In Reply To ..]
Combing through a chart with a fine-tooth comb. Was this present on admission? Ok, go back and read the H&P, ER, physician notes, again. Where is it? One doctor documents one thing in the beginning, some other doctor phrases it differently, and the Final Diagnosis looks like some stranger came in and slapped some diagnoses on there. They document in a way that you cannot capture according to guidelines. Then you have to hold up the chart to query. BUT make sure when you "query" you don't ask it in the form of a question, because that is considered leading. So spend another hour writing up a query that is acceptable and the doctor might understand...tedious. OH and don't forget, you better meet your quota!
Sounds like you're saying it's a 4-letter word, W-O-R-K. - I love it!
[ In Reply To ..]
That's one 4-letter word that I'm happy to claim. LOL.
Happy for you. Are you a coder? nm - jm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
I did some coding, but was not credentialed and it could barely be called coding - I think I would love it though
[ In Reply To ..]
I used to do the kind of coding where you just used the same codes every day and it really didn't take any thinking, in a doctor's office. If I were going to do it again, I would want to be a real coder, a CCS, CPC, and be able to code both inpatient and outpatient, not just a doctor's office or small clinic where the codes are already written down for you.
I see - jm
[ In Reply To ..]
How you would love coding compared to that kind of coding. With inpatient and outpatient coding you are definitely working and busy and engaged!

Coding and Transcription - jm

[ In Reply To ..]
Coding and transcription are completely different animals.

coding vs transcription - Freebie

[ In Reply To ..]
I thought about coding a few years ago, started the classes and hated it. You'd think it would be about the same thing but it's not. I also hears a lot at that time about coders not being able to get jobs after they put out for the education because you have to have at least 5 years of experience (I think it was 5) in an acute care facility. I dropped the classes.

If you are certified, you can bypass the years of experience - From what I have seen

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm not sure why you hated it, although it may be just a personal preference. It's probably a good thing that we all don't like the same kind of work.

If you are a certified coder, your chances of getting a job as a new graduate are very good. Just make sure when you enroll that graduates of the school you are enrolling in are able to pass the certification exams. Most schools are just offering more of an Introduction To Coding, which is not enough.

Not for everyone, not even every MT - MTC

[ In Reply To ..]
Coding, like transcription, is not for everyone. MT experience provides a good background to learn coding, but does not guarantee that one will enjoy coding or be good at it. I made the transition easily and do enjoy coding.

Similar Messages:

Medical Transcription Versus Coding/billing
Jan 18, 2010

Does anyone have an idea which career might pay best, medical transcription or medical billing/coding? I am curious about which pays best. ...

Medical Coding - Leaving The Transcription Industry
Dec 12, 2010

I wanted to ask anyone out there how to go about leaving the transcription industry (11 years in) and going into medical coding.  Do any of you know of a bridge over program at any of the institutes?  I got my education at a community college that is nationally accredited so I can transfer credits.  Just curious before I start really looking.  Thanks ...

Using Dragon Medical Practice, Version 2 For Transcription, Coding, Billing, Editing - Is It Worth I
Dec 29, 2014

It was recently suggested to me that I get Dragon Medical practice Edition, Version 2 for use on transcription, coding, billing and editing. As someone who works from home, I am hoping to investigate the pros and cons of investing in this program and whether its worth it ($1,399.00!!) Does anyone have any experience using this program for transcription, etc who would like to comment? Is it worth the time investment and the money investment? Is the program fairly easy to set up and use ie: l ...

What Impact Will The Electronic Medical Record Have On The Medical Coding Career
Mar 20, 2011

Dear medical coding students and medical coders: I am starting The Andrew's School of Medical Coding on April 1, 2011 and I have I am looking forward to it. I want to ask you your opinions. I was at the dog park with my pug Cruncher yesterday and I was telling my friends that I was looking forward to starting school and one my friends who is an oncologist at NIH was advising me that I should think twice about starting medical coding as a profession because the implementation of the electron ...

Hired For Coding/billing/transcription, But Told No Coding
Aug 13, 2013

Accepted a job, gave 2 weeks notice, and yesterday was my first day.  I was to be helping out transcription (1000 jobs behind), and then sitting with billing and training with coding as their coder will be out on maternity leave in December.  The office is adding another surgeon, and they are rapidly expanding.  So I gave a proper 2 weeks' notice to my former employer (2 hours on the road there and back, low salary - now less than half distance and $3 more an hour) and starte ...

Going From MT To Medical Coding
Feb 04, 2010

Any informatioin regarding medical coding and billing? I am thinking about going back to school. I recently lost my MT job. Thanks! ...

Looking For The Medical Coding Job
Sep 29, 2013

Hi everyone   I am an experienced medical coder(3 years) from India. Got CPC certification.  Is there any opportunity for me to work in US. If yes,  How should i proceed with?...What are the requirements.....Currently iam working in India... Kindly reply ...

Medical Coding Help!!
May 14, 2014

Hi I am currently enrolled in coding and scheduled for my CPC exam next month. I am so confused with all of it!! I really don't understand what you are supposed to code exactly from a note? Do you code everything, pmh, social history, procedures, impression, diagnoses? This is the hardest part for me, is knowing exactly what I am supposed to code. I had thought that it was just mainly the procedures and the disagnoses or impression, but sometimes it seems to be things listed in the whole r ...

Medical Coding Outside The US
Sep 17, 2014

Hello! I am hoping someone can help me! I am currently a remote coder for a hospital in NC. I am going to be moving to Costa Rica next year and am trying to find a contract company that will allow me to work outside the US. When I started my search I didn't think it would be hard, I figured with remote positons becoming so popular it wouldn't matter what country I was working in as long as I can connect to the internet. Unfortunately, I've called and emailed many companies and the ...

Medical Transcription At Home To Become A Medical Scribe?
Jan 20, 2015

Has anybody left medical transcription at home to become a medical scribe?  I have an opportunity to do so but there aren't any scribes currently in my area and I don't know anyone who has worked as a scribe before.  The scribe position starting pay is almost double what I make as an MT per hour so it is very tempting, I just don't know much about it. ...

Has Anybody Been Trained To Do Medical Coding And Do They Like It?
Nov 10, 2010

Has anybody been trained to do medical coding and do they like it?  I am trying to figure out where to go next since transciption no longer pays the bills and I am sick of sitting down for 12 hours a day.  I am ready to work away from home.  I just do not want to invest time and money in classes where I cannot get a job or where the pay is worse that what we make now.  ...

Career In Medical Coding?
Jul 22, 2011

I am considering training for medical coding but I don't want to spend the $$ if in a few years that industry goes the way of medical transcription with computers taking over our jobs and putting us out of work. I would welcome any and all information and opinions on this as well as recommendations for coding programs to enroll in. ...

Medical Coding Schools
Jun 06, 2012

I have been researching schools & certifications for coding and getting a bit overwhelmed! I have pretty much decided on an online course but now to decide which one? From reading the forums i hear Andrews college is pretty good but this will cost $3800 and take about a yr. Another option i have is thru Ivy Tech which will be covered by FAFSA grant. I also checked into the classes directly thru AAPC. Is anyone familiar with any of these online classes that could give me some input? I am lean ...

Medical Coding Classes
Jun 16, 2012

Trying to decide which online course for medical coding to take.  I am hearing Andrews college talked about quite a bit and have researched them but will not be covered by my FSSA grant. anyone have any input on online coding courses that would be covered by my FSSA grant? Unfortunately finances are a big determining factor. ...

Is Medical Coding Safe?
Aug 03, 2012

EMR is done by the physicians directly, will this happen to medical coding eventually too? ...

Medical Coding Salary
Sep 13, 2012

I was thinking of finding a course to take medical coding and wanted an at-home position in this field.  Can someone please tell me an average pay that I would expect to make?  I tried looking online and everything says "it varies", so just a ball park figure would be great, so I can decide if I want to pursue that or something different.  TIA:) ...

Medical Coding Education
Jan 16, 2014

I'm still in the process of researching various online schools, but if I were to sign up with a program within the next couple of weeks, is it feasible to think that I can get through the program and sit and take the CPC exam before the end of year?  I've been told that to make myself more marketable job-wise, that I should be certified in ICD-9 and then can go on and take the ICD-10 proficiency exam through AAPC early next year.  Any thoughts? ...

Medical Coding Is So Difficult?
Mar 15, 2014

Where I work, I do prior auths for various tests and procedures that the physicians order. We are in EPIC and in the patient's chart, all the diagnoses have the codes listed right after them and any new diagnoses listed on the orders also include the code. So when I go to start the prior auth, the only codes I have to look up are the CPT codes for the test, which are referenced rather easily in the CPT coding book. Just the other day I had to get pre-determination for testing on a pat ...

Medical Billing/Coding
Feb 13, 2015

Does any one know of any good medical billing and coding schools online? ...

Transcriptionist Also Does Medical Coding/billing?
Nov 16, 2009

I was wondering if anyone who is a transcriptionist also does medical coding/billing.  I wonder if we are any safer with this field and what the pay is like.  It looks to be about the same from what I have found on line.  I have been doing transcription for 10 years and am getting tired of what is happening in the industry.  It is tedious, hard work to sit on your butt all day and only get paid when your fingers are on the keys.  I am thinking of working in an office or hospital for a chang ...

Home Coding Medical Insurance?
Jan 28, 2010

Hi Cj, Does your company offer health insurance for its employees that work from home?  Also, I assume remote coders can live anywhere or do they need to be in the state the company is in?  Thanks.         ...

Associates Degree Medical Coding
May 07, 2010

Im so confused, I keep reading on different forums on line how hard it can be to break into medical coding. Does having an AA degree help?  Is that a plus?  I see some on line colleges that are accredited offer AA degrees, AABS degrees, etc.....whats the difference? Is it better for a newbie to go straight to AHIMA and take their cluster of courses or take an on line billing class through one of the on-line universities, then go test at AHIMA and AAPC?  ...

Information On Medical Billing/coding
Sep 08, 2010

I am interested in obtaining some information on the medical billing/coding certifications.  If anyone has class or school informaiton that is realiable I would greatly appreciate it.  I am looking for online certificated classes. Thanks ...

Medical Coding - Risk For Offshoring
Feb 21, 2011

I am speaking with a counselor at a community college about a medical insurance coding certificate. I am more interested in outpatient coding in an outpatient setting and earning the CPC credential for professional coders. I really do not want to work in a hospital again. From a current medical coder's perspective, is outpatient coding and CPC a good option as compared to inpatient coding? What about the job market? Is the job marketing pretty stable for outpatient coders, who are not worki ...

Medical Coding In A Small Town
Jul 22, 2011

I am considering medical coding training and would like some recommendations for good programs. Also, I live in a town of about 15,000. We have a small hospital that is on the verge of closing due to $$ problems so I wouldn't count on getting a job there. The next closest hospital is 50 miles away. Could I make enough $$ to make up for the commute I would have to do every day? ...

RHIT And Medical Coding Future
Oct 09, 2011

Does anyone have good input on whether medical scribes are the new medical transcriptionists only being filled my medical students, medical assistants or a part-time or piecemeal clerk at a lower rate (hourly or by piece) than medical transcriptionists -- if lower pay is even possible? Also, what are any inputs on RHIT and the medical coding future? I already have a bachelor's degree but thought about another associate degree in RHIT in a CAHIIM accredited program. From your viewpoint, wou ...

Medical Coding - Do Any Of You Regret Becoming A Coder?
Dec 27, 2011

Do any of you regret becoming a coder? ...

Future In Medical Coding / Billing
Feb 08, 2012

I have a question about coding and billing.  For three years in the '90s, I coded and transcribed for a small, rural, hospital.  I was responsible for outpatient, ER, inpatient, surgical etc. coding and transcription.  It was mostly ICD-9, and HCPC coding.  If I want to code from home in the future, what would you suggest I do, an online program?  Do you think coding from home would be an opportunity or do most hospitals/clinics/physicians require experience at a facility first, and wo ...

Coding/Medical Billing Jobs?
May 05, 2012

How plentiful are the jobs for coders and medical billers? Currently I am an MT but looking into other career options. Thanks! ...

Andrews School And Medical Coding
Jul 29, 2012

Andrews School and Medical Coding.  Is this a good program. ...