A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Career in medical coding? - anon

Posted: Jul 22, 2011

I am considering training for medical coding but I don't want to spend the $$ if in a few years that industry goes the way of medical transcription with computers taking over our jobs and putting us out of work. I would welcome any and all information and opinions on this as well as recommendations for coding programs to enroll in.

I'm not concerned about that. - Coder

[ In Reply To ..]
Look through the posts below for previous discussions on this.

Why I think medical coding is a great career! - My Thoughts

[ In Reply To ..]
Medical Coding determines how much money a hospital or facility makes. A lot of attention goes to any activity that makes a difference in the bottom line. Coding does.

I was talking to my doctor last week, who is planning to retire early. He says the changes are driving him to retire. He also believes what I have also heard, that doctors will be replaced by computers in the future. You'll just walk in to an exam room, no nurse will be needed, you'll just type in your own identifying information, hook yourself up to a monitor, and the machine will print out the results. No doctor needed.

The same thing will happen when something's wrong with your car. No mechanic needed. Pharmacy techs are already being replaced. Realtors are being replaced. Computer technologists are being replaced. I talked with one this week from overseas who was sharper than the ones I had talked with before they connected me to him to solve the problem. The others, low-paid technologists from America, didn't understand the question.

Some people are already ordering their groceries online. Their refrigerator places the order for them. No grocery clerks needed.

My point is this. Absolutely nothing is 'safe' from being replaced by technology. If we look for something safe, I don't think we are going to find it. Ditch digging? That's done by computerized machinery in many cases. Maybe fence installation. Someone has to dig those post holes. Someone has to feed the cattle I suppose.

No career is safe.

The other truth is, there will always be jobs in these areas for those who have the very best of skills. Nobody cares as much about degrees as they used to, but credentials (proof of having skills) mean more than ever before.

If you decide to go into coding, go into it by getting the skills that will prepare you for a CCS exam and maybe a CPC as well. You can't have too many credentials. People with degrees are going without jobs. Coders with credentials are doing just fine, if they have good work ethics, are able to work with people well, etc. Those skills are always going to be important too. The only way someone with a CCS will fail these days, in my opinion, is if they have poor work ethics or a really bad personality that nobody wants to hire.

I took a long, hard, serious look at coding, - and the similarities - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
to where MT was about a decade or so ago were just too close for me. The fact that most is done inhouse, there currently seems to be a shortage of them and it's something the hospitals need, and the fact that it's already headed in the direction of OC's, remote work, and subcontractors. Going to school at night while working full-time, it would take years to learn any profession, not to mention money I don't have and can't afford to borrow. No, it just seemed too risky. If I were already doing it, or just about there school-wise, and most certainly if I were 25 instead of 60, I would maybe give it a shot, but would probably then start right off the bat continuing in night school and learning yet another trade. So if you go into it, (or any healthcare office profession these days), do so with your eyes open for some kind of a backup career, just in case. If I still had the energy to do this all over again, I'd probably look more at court reporting (mainly because as a juror I've found the whole process really fascinating), or else think about becoming a paralegal.

Court Reporting and Paralegal Work Are Getting Lots of Bad Press These Days - I would not go that direction

[ In Reply To ..]
Court Reporting students, because most never get to the speed required to be graduates, really don't seem to be recommending court reporting. It's turning into a career disaster. Coding is one of the best careers, although I understand not wanting to study for it if you are at or near retirement age. I probably wouldn't do that either. I think it, like everything else, will probably change a little here or there, but it's one of the best careers out there, if you are certified.

There are hospitals that have been on EHR systems for years and still use both medical transcriptionists and medical coders. I'm seeing a lot of MTs that have transcribed for years lose jobs and then find out that they can't pass employment tests. Some of them never were very good but have been getting along all these years. Now things are getting tougher. We're going to lose a lot of people who have always thought they were good at transcription or coding. The certified ones are going to be fine, if they have workable personalities and can deal with change. Otherwise, more jobs are going to be opening up. We see that happening now.

Well, ok, but . . . - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Well, if that works for you, fine, but I'm not sure your view of coding, as a profession, is particularly clear. You'd be willing to go into court reporting -- which is famous for being a problem to learn and even more of a problem to get work -- because you thought what you saw of it on jury duty was fascinating, but you aren't willing to consider coding because you THINK it looks like MT was ten years ago? And because you assume it's headed toward subcontractors?

Nothing could be further from the truth. When the financial health of your organization hinges on accurate coding and when CMS is sending RAC auditors in to try to take back what they already paid you--and that's just a minor part of it--you aren't going to do anything that will reduce your control over your coding.

It certain does not take years to learn, either, even if you are working full time, and it doesn't have to be burdensomely expensive.

Coding career - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
The OP raises some legitimate concerns. I recently completed a coding program only to learn that it is not easy to land a job as a new coder, certification or not. I am working in a coding-related position abstracting data. I'm not seeing coding heading toward subcontractors, but computer-assisted coding is having an impact and reduces the need for coders in some instances. You make the prospect of RAC auditors, etc. sound attractive; to me, that's just stressful,in addition to employer productivity expectations. Not everyone will find coding a good fit; isn't it better to question things before spending money and finding that you have made a mistake?
That also depends on where you live and what kind of certificaton you have - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
A lot depends on where you live, the kind of certification you have vs. what the employer wants, and timing. If you only have 3 hospitals in your area and they aren't hiring, it is a problem. You would then have to look at insurance companies, clinics, and maybe even doctors' offices.

Similar Messages:

What Impact Will The Electronic Medical Record Have On The Medical Coding Career
Mar 20, 2011

Dear medical coding students and medical coders: I am starting The Andrew's School of Medical Coding on April 1, 2011 and I have I am looking forward to it. I want to ask you your opinions. I was at the dog park with my pug Cruncher yesterday and I was telling my friends that I was looking forward to starting school and one my friends who is an oncologist at NIH was advising me that I should think twice about starting medical coding as a profession because the implementation of the electron ...

Am I Too Old To Start A Career In Medical Coding
Jan 30, 2013

Dear Friends: I am 56 and I am a medical transcriptionists of 11 years and I am very interested in broadening my career and pursuing a career in medical coding.   I am interested in the Andrew's School.   I have two questions.  My first is what is the future of medical coding, i.e., will it be done offshore in the future like transcription and will it be replaced by the EMR.  The second question is am I tool old for training& ...

Coding Career Question. Sm
Apr 21, 2010

I just responded above that I am researching schools now to change from MT to coding. However, after checking the want ads for about a month now there are hardly any ads for a coder. What other positions would a coder be qualified for? I am afraid to waste my time and money, only to get out of school and find there aren't any jobs available. ...

Coding Career Question
Sep 22, 2011

What are the opportunities for coding within a specialty medical clinic, i.e. orthopedics?  I am currently halfway through a coding course and I feel like I would be happiest working within a clinic rather than a hospital.  I just wonder what opportunities exist and what the average salaries would be for outpatient coding within a clinic.  Do these jobs even exist?  Or would a job within a clinic also include billing and other related duties, not just coding reports all day ...

Career Step Coding Graduates.....
Mar 01, 2011

1.  How long did it take you to complete the course? 2.  Were you able to pass the certification exam? 3.  Are you working as a coder? 4.  Overall opinion on the career step coding course? Any info would be greatly appreciated.  TIA ...

Looking For Career Options, Exploring Coding
Jul 11, 2011

I walked into my community college and asked an advisor to give me a list of choices of careers I could study locally that would be quick. My sole purpose is to re-enter the working world as fast as possible. Medical Billing / Coding was one of the options. A friend reffered this site to me in response to an MT oportunity and, as if my prayers were answered, I noticed the Coding / Billing forum which has answered many questions. However, I have more, I always do. How d ...

Career Change - RHIT, Coding And LPN?
Aug 02, 2011

I've been an MT for 10 years but for the past year I have been in school working towards an AA degree in Health Information Management.  I would like to be an RHIT and do coding somewhere.  However, I like it but not enough to want to do this for the rest as my life as I am only 34.  I love the medical field and want to stay in it but am thinking of switching my major.  I think maybe switching to LPN and then eventually become an RN.  I think that I might enjoy working with people more ...

Has Anyone Completed The Career Step Coding
Jan 17, 2015

feel you were adequately trained. How long did it take to complete? Any information would be appreciated. ...

Career Coding Step Grads??
Apr 21, 2015

Any Career Step grads on here who were able to get a good paying REMOTE job right after finishing the course? How long did it take you?  I know they only get you ready for the CPC and CCA (versus CCS).....and how soon after finishing were you able to sit for and pass the CCS?  ...

Career Step And AHIMA Coding Programs
Apr 29, 2010

What is your experience with either of these schools in terms of relevance, quality of instruction, materials used, preparation for exam and coding on-the-job, responsiveness of the school? I'm considering both and would really appreciate your thoughts. Thank you! ...

Do Any BOOKS Come With Career Steps Coding Program?
May 11, 2010

or is EVERYTHING on line.  Wondering how hard it would be to backtrack to study for exams? ...

Advice Needed On Coding Career And Getting My Foot In The Door
Jul 25, 2011

So, I've been an MT for 8 years.  Previously, I did medical billing.  I am so burnt out from doing MT and having a dead-end job that I am working towards my AA degree in Health Information Management, then want to get my bachelor's, then would like to go to graduate school for Health Care Administration.  Anyway, if want to become a coder, as I am working my way up the HIM ladder, would it be wise for me to take a job in medical billing first?   I don't ha ...

Career Step Medical Transcription
Jun 09, 2012

Where to start? I was the top MT at the Dept. of Veterans Affairs Regional in Waco, TX. I have also been a proofreader for a top notch advertising agency in California and my first job was as an MT. I type 90 wpm. That said, I have not been able to find a position as an MT because I didn't have 'credentials'. So I researched the web and decided to spend my hard-earned money on Career Step. I passed the 1st portion of the test with 97% which actually more of a grammatical testing ...

Career And Education Advice For Medical Transcription
Nov 14, 2009

Hello, I am looking for advice from some of the seasoned MT's and those who have been in the field for about a year now.   I am looking into medical transcription; initially for part-time supplemental income and down-the-road as a full-time career.   Here are the questions that I have: Which schools, particularly online courses, are well known for developing successful MT's; more specifically which programs are good at helping their graduates land jobs? For someone who ...

Career Change After 20 Years Of Medical Transcription
Dec 22, 2013

Anybody got any ideas for a career change for someone that has been doing medical transcription for 20 years? ...

I Want Your Opinion About Career Step Online Medical Transcription Course Or Any Other School Which
Jan 19, 2011

can anybody tell me about good online medical transcription school. ...

Going From MT To Medical Coding
Feb 04, 2010

Any informatioin regarding medical coding and billing? I am thinking about going back to school. I recently lost my MT job. Thanks! ...

Looking For The Medical Coding Job
Sep 29, 2013

Hi everyone   I am an experienced medical coder(3 years) from India. Got CPC certification.  Is there any opportunity for me to work in US. If yes,  How should i proceed with?...What are the requirements.....Currently iam working in India... Kindly reply ...

Medical Coding Help!!
May 14, 2014

Hi I am currently enrolled in coding and scheduled for my CPC exam next month. I am so confused with all of it!! I really don't understand what you are supposed to code exactly from a note? Do you code everything, pmh, social history, procedures, impression, diagnoses? This is the hardest part for me, is knowing exactly what I am supposed to code. I had thought that it was just mainly the procedures and the disagnoses or impression, but sometimes it seems to be things listed in the whole r ...

Medical Coding Outside The US
Sep 17, 2014

Hello! I am hoping someone can help me! I am currently a remote coder for a hospital in NC. I am going to be moving to Costa Rica next year and am trying to find a contract company that will allow me to work outside the US. When I started my search I didn't think it would be hard, I figured with remote positons becoming so popular it wouldn't matter what country I was working in as long as I can connect to the internet. Unfortunately, I've called and emailed many companies and the ...

Has Anybody Been Trained To Do Medical Coding And Do They Like It?
Nov 10, 2010

Has anybody been trained to do medical coding and do they like it?  I am trying to figure out where to go next since transciption no longer pays the bills and I am sick of sitting down for 12 hours a day.  I am ready to work away from home.  I just do not want to invest time and money in classes where I cannot get a job or where the pay is worse that what we make now.  ...

Is Medical Coding A Better Way To Go Now Rather Than Transcription?
Mar 29, 2011

Is medical coding now a better way to go rather than transcription? ...

Medical Coding Schools
Jun 06, 2012

I have been researching schools & certifications for coding and getting a bit overwhelmed! I have pretty much decided on an online course but now to decide which one? From reading the forums i hear Andrews college is pretty good but this will cost $3800 and take about a yr. Another option i have is thru Ivy Tech which will be covered by FAFSA grant. I also checked into the classes directly thru AAPC. Is anyone familiar with any of these online classes that could give me some input? I am lean ...

Medical Coding Classes
Jun 16, 2012

Trying to decide which online course for medical coding to take.  I am hearing Andrews college talked about quite a bit and have researched them but will not be covered by my FSSA grant. anyone have any input on online coding courses that would be covered by my FSSA grant? Unfortunately finances are a big determining factor. ...

Is Medical Coding Safe?
Aug 03, 2012

EMR is done by the physicians directly, will this happen to medical coding eventually too? ...

Medical Coding Salary
Sep 13, 2012

I was thinking of finding a course to take medical coding and wanted an at-home position in this field.  Can someone please tell me an average pay that I would expect to make?  I tried looking online and everything says "it varies", so just a ball park figure would be great, so I can decide if I want to pursue that or something different.  TIA:) ...

Medical Coding Education
Jan 16, 2014

I'm still in the process of researching various online schools, but if I were to sign up with a program within the next couple of weeks, is it feasible to think that I can get through the program and sit and take the CPC exam before the end of year?  I've been told that to make myself more marketable job-wise, that I should be certified in ICD-9 and then can go on and take the ICD-10 proficiency exam through AAPC early next year.  Any thoughts? ...

Medical Coding Is So Difficult?
Mar 15, 2014

Where I work, I do prior auths for various tests and procedures that the physicians order. We are in EPIC and in the patient's chart, all the diagnoses have the codes listed right after them and any new diagnoses listed on the orders also include the code. So when I go to start the prior auth, the only codes I have to look up are the CPT codes for the test, which are referenced rather easily in the CPT coding book. Just the other day I had to get pre-determination for testing on a pat ...

Medical Billing/Coding
Feb 13, 2015

Does any one know of any good medical billing and coding schools online? ...

Transcriptionist Also Does Medical Coding/billing?
Nov 16, 2009

I was wondering if anyone who is a transcriptionist also does medical coding/billing.  I wonder if we are any safer with this field and what the pay is like.  It looks to be about the same from what I have found on line.  I have been doing transcription for 10 years and am getting tired of what is happening in the industry.  It is tedious, hard work to sit on your butt all day and only get paid when your fingers are on the keys.  I am thinking of working in an office or hospital for a chang ...