A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

MT transition to physician assistant - sm

Posted: Mar 05, 2011

I am considering this.  I am interested in biology and medicine, but do not want to be a nurse.  Anyone know about physician assistant's courses, how rigorous they are, how expensive and how much time it takes to complete them?  I am in the middle of getting my associates degree right now in general studies.  The original plan is going for a masters in social work, but biology and medicine is holding my interest at this point, so wondering if I should switch majors.  Is a BA needed, and then a physician assistant program, similar to the nursing program?  Looking for opinions or people who are in the know to share, a kind thanks!

BA needed, of course - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
After completing your bachelor's, you need to complete the PA program of about 26 months. The training is quite rigorous.

Difficult to gain admission - dreamer

[ In Reply To ..]
I am thinking about this too. Check out the PA forum for lots of info on this. From what I found out, this is getting as hard to get into as medical school! The competition to get in has really increased in recent years, and the GPA required for admission is higher than I though it would be.

In this case, harder means extra worthwhile. Transition's - not the word for this leap, though. :) NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

have you consider - cindy

[ In Reply To ..]
a nurse practitioner? If the PA program is hard to get into, then a nurse practitioner is almost the same thing. The difference is that a nurse practitioner can treat and prescribe without the supervision of a physician and therefore you can essentially have your own practice where a physician assistant can treat and prescribe only under the supervision of a physician. I am pretty sure that a nurse practitioner requires a BA degree in nursing and then an additional two years for your masters. Good luck to you. You have a long road ahead, so you might want to explore both options to see which will work best for you.

supervision - mt

[ In Reply To ..]
NPs cannot prescribe w/o physician supervision in most states. The training for an NP is comparable to that of a PA. NP does end up with a bit more autonomy.

I live in PA - mt4now

[ In Reply To ..]
I live in PA and NPs can prescribe without a physician. One of the NPs I work with came from NJ/NY and could prescribe in both of those states without an attending. Definitely worth at least checking out what your state requires.

I was rather surprised to find an NP in psychiatry. She was a social worker at one time and then went back to get her BA in nursing and on to get her NP in nursing. She is now a practicing psych NP. Maybe something OP might want to look into since it is along the lines of social work but much better pay.
I live in TN, and there is basically no difference - between a PA and a NP
[ In Reply To ..]
They can write prescriptions all they want and have stand alone offices in which a physician is not on site, but they still have to have an overseeing physician. I would say the local programs cost about the same as they are both from very expensive private schools. Both the PAs and NP can come from any bachelor's program, at least where I live.

I personally find it very scary that someone can go 4 years for a business degree and then in less than 2 years for a NP degree can all of a sudden prescribe medications. I have worked as an assistant for one in the past, and believe me, they are no doctor.

One of the offices I worked for let NP students do clinicals there. If you wanted to specialize, you had to go back for extra time. I'm thinking it was a year as one of the students was considering doing this. So, basically, that is 7 years of schooling.

In Maryland you do not need a doctor supervising a NP - cindy

[ In Reply To ..]
The office I do to has a NP that owns her own Urgent Care Clinic. She does not need a doctor overseeing her at all.

its about 60,000 for the program - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Not including the money it takes to get an Associates and Bachelors before the actual program. We are looking at over 100,000 in debt when it is said and done. Wow. This program is expensive and it seems futile to even try, so nevermind. Sticking with MSW for now.

Suspect you didn't intend THAT big a leap; however, - note not futile for those who go for it. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Yes, but the pay is worth it. - PA

[ In Reply To ..]
My sister-in-law is a PA and she is making 140,000. Great money, and she says it is very rewarding.

Wow, that is really good. That is as much the - average family physician makes nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

MT to physician's assistant - Msmello

[ In Reply To ..]
Hi, PA programs require at least a Bachelor's degree to get in and are Master's programs 2-3 yrs in length. They are extremely rigorous programs usually full-time or part-time. Nursing has so much more versatility as a career and schooling can be a little easier on your life, not to diminish nursing school in comparison, nursing is a hard program too, but length and scheduling of classes might be easier to fit into your life. Hope this helps.

Similar Messages:

Referring Physician Vs Requesting Physician
Apr 30, 2013

What is the difference between referring physician and requesting physician? ...

Anyone Here Go From MT To Medical Assistant?
Sep 26, 2013

I'm looking at a program in my area that is 9 months long to become a certified medical assistant.  I do realize that MAs don't get paid much (about 14 an hour where I live which sounds awesome to me right about now as I'm a poor MT), and there really isn't any advancement in this type of job.  But, I do want to do something hands-on in the medical field and this seems like a good way to go.  My local hospital is phasing out all the LPNs and replacing them with ...

Anyone Know Anything About Mobile Assistant Inc
Oct 07, 2014

Any info would be helpful. ...

Mobile Assistant US Transcription
Nov 08, 2011

Curious about a company by the name of US Transcription who also do Mobile Assistant. Has anyone ever heard of them or worked for them? ...

MT Vs Med Assistant Vs Med Records Tech
May 31, 2012

I have heard and read of MTs moving out of this field into coding. But has anyone transitioned out of MT to med assisting or a medical records technician? Or does anyone know someone who did? I've been trying to research information and was wondering if it is better career and/or better salary that does not require too much schooling? ...

Mobile Assistant - Does Anyone Work?
Jan 22, 2014

Does anyone work as a Mobile Assistant?  I am wanting to find out approximate range of pay before applying. Thanks :) ...

Anyone Heard Of Mobile Assistant ?
Dec 02, 2014

Wondering if anyone has heard of or works for mobile assistant out of Wisconsin. Experiences? ...

Cancer Registrar Vs Medical Assistant? Sm
Jun 01, 2013

I'm considering getting out of transcription. I've been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis.  I'm looking into either CRM or MA - CRM through AHIMA online or MA at local community college.  I'm worried that CRM is too much of a "niche" job. There is a nearby cancer treatment center. However, I'm also worried that MA would not necessarily pay that much.  I would appreciate any input/advice anyone cares to offer.  ...

Mobile Assistant Transcription Company
Mar 17, 2014

I sent a resume to several jobs from the MT Jobs search and was sent a test for this company.  Has anyone ever worked here before or is currently employed.  If so, could you tell me about them. ...

TTS Administrative Assistant Position-SALARY???
May 04, 2015

Did you see the job posting for TTS Administrative Assistant.  Now how in the world is that a salary position?  Don't these people know the IRS is checking out all these misclassifications, just to avoid paying OT?  That's a huge red flag, an exempt position that is nothing more than a glorified secretary or clerical position.  I worked for a company once that had to pay back wages for all the hours worked, as they misclassified an exempt position (salary) that shou ...

BURN - The Arm Was Irrigated With A S/l Pulsar Lavage Assistant
Aug 09, 2010

the arm was irrigated with a s/l pulsar lavage assistant with 3 L of s/l lactating ringers ...

I Am So Very Excited!! I Am Starting A Dental Assistant Program (sm)
Jan 27, 2011

in March, will have it completed on May 1st and will be walking away from MT forever!!!  For anyone who are thinking about leaving this field, I wish you all the best and for those who decide to stay, the same, I wish you all the best as well!!  I am nervous but so excited to start something new!  I just received my W2 and after working long hours, nights, weekends, giving up all of this time with my family, it earned me an incredible amount of $14,000.  I have been told that ...

Oticed A Lot Of Medical Assistant Jobs Looking For EMR Experience
Oct 31, 2012

looks like there may be a place for us MTs to go once MT dies out completely ...

Mobile Assistant - Financial And Insurance Transcription?
Mar 26, 2013

Has anyone worked for Mobile Assistant, a company that has financial and insurance transcription? If so, what was your experience like with this company?  Thanks. ...

Going Back To School And Getting Certified As A Medical Assistant
Mar 24, 2014

I have been in the field of Education for 23 yrs and have been an Administrator for the past 13. Due to the economy,  schools would rather hire those with no experience and pay them less than seasoned veterans like myself. I have 2 in college and a 10yr old I adopted at birth so I am far from retirement. I am considering going back to school and getting certified as a Medical Assistant (which would include Phlebotomy and X-ray tech) and Medical Billing/Coding or Transcription. I am currently un ...

Mobile Assistant - Want Me To Update My Operating System To Windows 8
Aug 09, 2013

Hi, I am being offered a job at Mobile Assistant, but they want me to update my operating system to Windows 8 and I cannot afford this, but if they are worth it, I might consider.  Does anyone know anything about this company? are they worth it? P.S. I am in desparate need of a job. ...

Trying To Decide Between Enrolling In A Medical Coding Course Or A Physical Therapy Assistant Course
Sep 20, 2011

TIA :-) ...

MT In Transition
Apr 27, 2011

I work for Precyse, and they are now sending the 3rd new account in my region over to India, and we are constantly without work anymore.  I have applied for a job with Transcend Services.  Can anyone tell me about this company please?  First and foremost, do you run out of work very often?  ...

Something To Transition To!!!!
Dec 24, 2011

Is your MT career dead? Don't know what to do? Here's the NEXT BIG THING! And you get to still stay at home! hmmm, I wonder if I can hook my headset up to my phone.... LOL  =]   http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/22/phone-sex-moms_n_1166075.html?1324589894&ncid=webmail19 ...

Transition
Jan 16, 2014

How does one make the transition over to acute care with no acute care experience. All the jobs I see want acute care. I fully understand that. I am willing to make the transition if someone would give me a chance. I ran into this as a new MT back 4 years ago. I have clinic experience, but no acute care experience.  I'm looking for jobs daily as I lost my job 2 weeks ago due to electronic records. I need to work as bills are stacking up.  What companies hire for clinic work, wil ...

Physician Look-ups
Nov 23, 2010

Does anyone have any good websites for looking up physician names?  Started a new job and I am all over the country on some of these physicians.  Sometimes i have a full name, other times just a last name and no clue as to what the speciality is.  Thanks in advance for your help.  ...

Physician Thank You
Dec 08, 2014

So, I'm editing this report and it comes to the end and the physician states, "Transcriptionist, thank you so very, very much.  I appreciate you and your work."  Totally made my day!  Since this physican doesn't know it was me doing the report, I wanted to pass it on so hopefully it'll make someone else's day too.  Please no negative comments.  I have enough negative (as we all do).  Let me just enjoy the thank-you, and even more the appreciatio ...

Transition To Third Shift
Feb 02, 2011

Hello everyone! I was wondering if anyone who works or has worked third shift in the past could share with me any advice they might have. I have always worked first shift, but I have been offered a really terrific position working third shift on the weekends, and I am finding myself wanting to give it a try. I know it would be a difficult transition at first, and I would need to focus on taking good care of myself. If anyone has any advice, I would so greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advanc ...

Transition From MT To Coding...
Mar 17, 2011

I'm thinking of making the jump after years (22+) in MT and LT and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on the best way to go about doing this.  I have found a couple of prep courses for the CCP exam, but it would be nice if I could hear some actual experiences that people have had with some of the actual courses out there.  It would be great if you could provide links to the places that y'all have gone to.  Feel free to e-mail me if you'd prefer.  Tha ...

Nervous Transition
Oct 21, 2011

I have come into transciption within the past four years. This is something I have always wanted to do and finally found a way to get into the field. There does not seem to be alot of money in straight typing, and less in VR. I have always made incentive, but still - its just not enough and I work very hard to get that. Right now, I work for a company with straight typing only, no VR. I am taking a position with a company that has VR and it sounds to me like the position is pre ...

DSG - Hows The Transition Going?
Mar 07, 2012

Haven't seen any recent threads lately and just wondered how everyone was doing? Are things getting better for everyone? Were you able to get back on original accounts before the change? I read a thread on here a couple weeks back where people had been kinda shuffeled around and was wondering had it gotten any better for you all. ...

CMTs Who Transition
Mar 20, 2012

Will you or have you let your CMT expire? ...

How Long Did Your Transition Take?
Jul 19, 2013

For those of you who worked for a hospital department that went to an MTSO, how long did the transition take? We received the notice the beginning of 11/10 and they're still not fully transitioned. The first MTSO was swallowed up by a 2nd MTSO. It's possible by Sept we'll be on Powerscribe and then my job will end. P-scribe was not supposed to be the platform in the first place either. I was kept on as an IC to help with the transition. There have been countless tech problems ...

Transition From MT To Coding
Sep 19, 2013

A question for anyone. Would you enroll in a community college program for medical coding at 57 knowing it would cost 5 grand to complete the course, and also with the knowledge that there are very few if any entry-level positions available in coding on the west coast. I see positions for in-house MT's and coders alike in other parts of the country all the time, but not so much on the west coast. I'm torn about this question, whether the commitment required would be worth it as I ...

Transition To Nuance
Jun 09, 2014

Looking for good, bad, ugly, but please just the plain truth about Nuance. I will possibly transitioning to them from my company that they bought, going from IC to employee. I am very nervous about this and need some REAL HONEST insight as to their work environment, management, attributes, and downfalls. Thanks ...