A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Transition from MT to coding - Lissybell

Posted: Sep 19, 2013

A question for anyone. Would you enroll in a community college program for medical coding at 57 knowing it would cost 5 grand to complete the course, and also with the knowledge that there are very few if any entry-level positions available in coding on the west coast. I see positions for in-house MT's and coders alike in other parts of the country all the time, but not so much on the west coast. I'm torn about this question, whether the commitment required would be worth it as I would still have to work 40 hours a week. Just looking for feedback. Thanks!

well i'm 35 and back in school full time, going for my master's - in social work

[ In Reply To ..]
working full time too. I don't think any education is a waste of money.

It actually can be a waste of money when you're nearing retirement years... - ItDepends

[ In Reply To ..]
I think learning is always good for personal development, fulfillment, etc., but when a person is nearing retirement years, then they do have to weigh things. I'm in the same boat as the OP. I am not far off from 60 and am on the West Coast. It seems that coding jobs are slim as it is, but I've never seen anything for a new coder. The question is whether or not to gamble, to accrue student loan debt with only a few years left to work towards a job that might not be available.

No, I wouldn't - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Because I went back to school at 37 for coding, got my AA, RHIT certified, CCS certified, yet I cannot find a job in coding due to lack of experience. I have depleted my savings, still working in MT and unsure of my future. I am now nearly 40, and if I could do it all over again, I would have gone back to school for something more hands on.

exactly that's why i'm going back for social work - know quite a few coders

[ In Reply To ..]
that can't find work. One now is a manager at an apartment complex. ANYTHING you can get fast and easy like that will be flooded with competition.

I actually wish I would have gone into social work - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I regret my decision big time. I was going back and forth between coding and social work. I wish I would have listened to my heart and gut. I would rather be helping people and doing something I know I would really enjoy rather than sitting at a computer all day. Good luck to you
thank you!!! my dream is to work in a Childrens Hospital - but ill be happy with anything.
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Then do it now! - Nothing is stopping you.
[ In Reply To ..]
It amazes me the number of people who are miserable in their current circumstances, yet continue wallowing in them.

If you don't like what you are doing, get out of it!!! There is nothing chaining you down but excuses.

New student debt in one's 50's? Pretty chancy. - on my way out of MT
[ In Reply To ..]
Who wants to spend their retirement paying off student debt - especially when there's no guarantee a career will be there at the end of one's studies? College is a business and as we see from all these MT and Coding schools, they oversell careers the same way MTSOs overhire MTs!
Student debt is not a given - Many no-cost and low-cost options
[ In Reply To ..]
I have no student debt because I chose an in-demand field that my employer would help with, selected training programs on the basis of quality and cost, and just didn't take out student loans. I paid cash up front and even sold my textbooks on Amazon.

I started out in the same boat you are in, with next to no income from MT work. I just did it one step at a time. Now I make enough that if I did have a few thousand in student loans, I could pay them off easily.

If you do this incrementally, you can start working and pay for it as you go.

Thanks, its food for thought! - on my way out of MT
[ In Reply To ..]
I do have tuition reimbursement possibilities with my new employer, so I will look into doing it the way you suggested.

My neighbor got a free education due to offshoring of work... - ETOHPRN

[ In Reply To ..]
She worked a factory job making shoes, and all that work was shipped off to China, so the government paid for her to go to school and get a bachelor's degree, and she chose social work.

That was about 7 years ago and she still hasn't been hired for any social work jobs (in our state) due to government hiring freeze. She's currently a janitor at a local college. She loves the work though, has great bennies, but to me it just seems like such a waste of an education.
:(
Off topic...sm - CaliMT
[ In Reply To ..]
I just had to say how much I love your nickname, ETOHPRN. It takes a group of MTs to understand and laugh at that! The way things are going in this career lately, I may just begin taking your prescription!
I already have that 'script and I keep refilling it! :) nm - Soon to be ex-MT
[ In Reply To ..]
x

Transition - Lissybell

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks to all who provided input on my question. It saddens me that folks study hard to get through a program, study even harder to earn credentials only to be shot down and not be able to get a job in coding. I also think in my case, age is a factor. I had considered coding really only for the money as I went from taking home 3400/month to less than half of that after my employer decided to outsource and eliminate the transcription department. As I have 10 more years of working, I will continue on at my current place of employment (Precyse) and see what opportunities I can find out there. I have no problem going to an office for work, or working from home. I just think I really need a change some days! Trying to stay positive in this industry is difficult. I think most of us could get a job at McDonald's and perform that job easily, but how many people do you think can just walk in and do transcription or editing? The skill set we use every day is just not commensurate with what we are being paid. Those of us who have been MTs for a long time and used to get paid good money, are now just disillusioned. I wish everyone luck in their endeavors for a brighter future.

Thanks again all :}

Lissybell - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
There is no occupation where *everyone* who completes training gets hired. Not even nursing.

I don't know what it is about MTs that makes them think everyone who completes a school is guaranteed a job. It may be that MTs used to be hired by MTSOs almost automatically. If you pass the test, you were hired and either sunk or swam. Once you got good enough, you could get any job out there.

It isn't that way in any other field. Coding is actually pretty good in that respect. There are some things to consider, though.

The first is that new graduates often have to take training or entry level positions. No matter how valuable you feel your MT experience is, it is not coding. As a new grad, have no experience coding, which is the skill you are being hired for. However, your experience with medical report content IS valuable in learning coding and can sway an employer in your favor if you present it appropriately.

Second, employers NEED you to be certified. This is not a whim, but a requirement for THEM. They have to hire credentialed coders to meet CMS and their own compliance expectations.

Third, the credential itself has a lot to do with getting hired. AAPC credentials are focused on outpatient coding. Right now, 25% of newly certified CPCs can't get jobs.

AHIMA's are focused on hospital and inpatient coding, are much harder to get, and may be strongly preferred by hospitals simply because the HIM staff at hospitals are AHIMA credentialed members who will support their organization.

There are several ways to improve your chances. One way is to get a job in or around coding, like a hospital HIM dept., or a clinic business office, before you graduate which you can use for experience. Employers really don't know what to do with folks who have been at-home workers for 10 or 20 years. Coding is no exception.

Another is to look for jobs in all circumstances. Be aware that there are far fewer jobs in hospitals than outside them. If you refuse to look anywhere but hospitals and there are only two in your area, you are unlikely to get hired. Having a CCS may help.

Stick with standard certifications like the two old standbys, the CPC and CCS. Don't think employers recognize that the CPC-H means you are an expert in hospital coding...the credential is too new, it does not cover inpatient coding, and hospital employers are more likely to want a CCS. The specialty certifications may limit you more than help you if you don't have the CPC first.

The certifications from other organizations are not respected like the above. They are what career colleges offer at the end of "medical office billing coding" programs. Offices and nursing homes might hire you after a course like that, but not hospitals because the coding is too watered down.
The course you take has a lot to do with it, and so does the credential.

Inexperienced, but appropriately credentialed, coders do get jobs. They often have to really market themselves, but they do get jobs.

I don't know why some coders don't get hired. I can only suggest that you consider the coder market in YOUR area very closely, along with your personal characteristics.

Started out coding, then switched to MT - on my way out of MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I hated coding/billing with a passion! The liability is as bad or worse than that of an MT as far as blame goes, and you will be dealing with lots of people fighting over the payment of claims. You will argue with patients who have no clue why they needed pre-approval from their insurance company in order to get a procedure (and they'll blame your incompetence that the claim wasn't paid), insurance denies many claims automatically on first billing and you have to rebill and rebill and recode and rebill to get anything paid, and doctors offices "forget" to percert most radiology and don't give a hoot if the radiologists ever get paid at all. I am not a people person and I hated that job so bad. I loved transcription because I was allowed to work in peace without arguing with everyone on the bill chain. I would never go back to coding/billing if I could help it. Just my opinion.

That is billing - Coding

[ In Reply To ..]
has nothing to do with billing.

Really? Coding has nothing to do with billing? - on my way out of MT

[ In Reply To ..]
In a small Dr's office it most certainly does, and they are the ones most likely to give an newbie coder a chance. Even if coding and billing are completely kept separate, the billing department WILL ask you to recode rejected claims in hope that they will be paid with a different code. I find it really amusing to be told coding has nothing to do with billing - without the coding nothing gets paid. I assume you haven't actually done either, to make such an amusing statement.
That was billing, not coding - Yes, they ARE different
[ In Reply To ..]
The post above mine that said coding has nothing to do with billing meant that the WORKof coding is nothing like what billers do. That is an accurate statement.

You did something that is BILLING, not coding. Coders do not mess with claims, collectjons, or phone calls to insurers or patients.

Coders review medical records, determining what conditions to code and the correct code assignment. They educate providers regarding dcumentation required to code appropriately.

Coders, at least real ones, do not change codes to get something paid. First, we don't do it because there is one correct code and not some kind of get-it-paid options assortment. We also know what meets medical necessity well in advance, so we work with providers to match that *ethically*, not through fraudulent code assignment.

I AM a multi-certified coder with considerable coding experience, so don't say I don't know what I am talking about.

I did get my first job in a major medical center. Many coders do.
Oh, I see, YOUR experience is the ONLY one possible - on my way out of MT
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm so sorry I don't fit neatly into your little box that tells you what a coder MUST do to be "real".

I was hired to do both coding and billing. I worked in a small office for 2 doctors. The other 3 ladies in the office also did BOTH coding and billing. I did it for 2.5 years - and I CODED every day, I BILLED once a week, I POSTED payments daily, I received and made phone calls regarding BOTH billing and coding every day. I was asked to change codes and rebill by my office manager on a regular basis - if the patient had chest pain and asthma, and I'd coded for asthma which got rejected, maybe I should recode for chest pain instead. I find it amusing you think there can only be ONE possible code - that would mean that a patient could only have ONE symptom? How interesting! When we got busy we were allowed to take reports home and code them on the weekends. Unfortunately you had not yet informed us we weren't "real" coders - our paychecks for doing it caused us to think we were, so it was an understandable delusion on our part, wasn't it?

I am amazed that you think there is no place in the entire world that a person could be both a biller and a coder, but there are many small offices where a person is expected to do both. I've recently seen quite a few ads in the paper for private practices that make it clear in the job description that is what they want. I guess you need to call any doctors with these ads and explain to them that its impossible, so that people will stop pulling double duty and be ONLY a coder or ONLY a biller per YOUR direction, and if they dare to do it they will not be "real". And make sure to tell any patients you see that there is only ONE symptom with ONE code that they are allowed to have, and any other they might have will not be "real" because you and their provider say so!

Enjoy your "real" coding career, and hopefully you won't meet anymore outlaws that have the nerve to bill and code simultaneously and ruin your "reality". Similar to MT, some people with certifications think that makes them "real" and makes anybody else drawing a paycheck for doing it "less" real. Maybe you should take a Valium before my next confession - I only ever learned to type radiology - so I'm not a "real" MT either - but darned if I didn't draw a paycheck for acting like one for 10 whole years. Now I'm off to my next career adventure - my job experience is "real" to that hospital, imagine that!
Coding/billing - Me again
[ In Reply To ..]
Based on the facility where I work (it is quite large) the billers code and vice versa. Heck, even the nurses and doctors assign codes because we all want to get paid. Any "real coder" who does not see how the 2 are related is clueless, it's actually kind of scary. Diagnosis codes are used in many other ways too, but reimbursement is probably the main one. Having to rebill is also common, you are not mistaken.
Explanation for readers - Clearing up the confusion
[ In Reply To ..]
There is only one code for any disease, condition, or situation. It is selected using a formal structured process intended to result in the correct code.

There are formal, structured rules for determining the code(s) which describe any medical encounter and/or procedure. Insurers will only pay for services that they cover and are for conditions they feel warrant being treated with that service or procedure. In other words, that "meet medical necessity." Insurers disclose their rules and coverage requirements in advance, so no guesswork should be required.

Outpatient claims allow for several diagnoses. The reason for a particular condition is linked to that condition. You check in advance to be sure it meets medical necessity. Coding software will examine your coding for this, as well.

Errors result in claims being denied. ERRORS, not optional code choices. Denials related to coding indicate a coding problem.

Professional coders are trained to code correctly. Certification exams by the 2 major professional organizations test for accuracy in this. Professinal coders are not copying codes from what doctors circle on charge tickets. They should not need to look further back in a record to find a better diagnosis, because they know to find the correct diagnosis first.

There is nothing wrong with being a biller or biller-coder or coder-biller, but they are not professional coders. The fact of doing some code-finding, which is what they do, does not make someone a professional coder. There is more to coding.

The jobs are so different that employers of coders do not normally consider coder-billers qualified. If they had furthered their education and gotten certified, it would be different.

Just trying to present the other side of the story. It is one thing to be discouraged from a job for legitimate reasons, but you don't want to be taking advice from someone who doesn't understand the job.

Just as CNAs are not RNs, yet refer to themselves as nurses, coder-billers are not professional coders, yet refer to themselves as coders. The CNA does nursing, yet does not perform the same duties or fill the same roles an RN. The CNA is usually clear about the difference because it is a matter of state licensing. Educational programs are different and they make this clear.

A coder-biller does some "coding" but does not perform the same duties or fill the same role as a professional coder. The coder-biller is NOT usually clear about this because it is not a matter of licensing. The roles are not defined by laws, but by professional organizations and certifying groups. It is possible to learn some these jobs without attending formal programs, and billing-coding programs in career colleges often misrepresent them, so the distinction between them can be blurry.
I prefer - the ivory tower
[ In Reply To ..]
When I decided to become a coder, I wanted to code. I did not want anything to do with billing, data entry, answering the phone, filing, or claims. No thank you. I code. I read charts, assign codes, use coding software. I work in hospitals. These days the physician offices and clinics are often connected to the hospital. In these cases, there are coders who code their office visits. But these coders are either in the hospital or employed by the hospital and they just code the office visits and procedures. Billing is done elsewhere. I know a lot of offices do have people who do many jobs, like the person above. If you do and have some of that experience, that would be a good segway into coding. Some doctor̢۪s offices do not have official coders, but if they are owned by a hospital they will have.
I was not afforded that luxury by my employer - on my way out of MT
[ In Reply To ..]
She told me it wouldn't be fair to the other employees if I got to pick and choose which parts of the job I wanted to do and delegate the rest to others. I always felt it was good to be multitalented instead of putting my eggs all in one basket. I have experience in nearly every clerical area you can name. It has helped me segue from one job to another quite easily - I can manage your office, keep your books, do your data entry, process your payroll accurately, edit your letters for typos, etc. etc. Skill/experience versatility is a lifesaver when your favorite career (in my case MT) becomes obsolete.

se·gue [sey-gwey, seg-wey] verb, se·gued, se·gue·ing, noun
verb (used without object)
to make a transition from one thing to another smoothly and without interruption: The conversation segued from travel anecdotes to food.
Thanks for the segue - you
[ In Reply To ..]
can't tell I used to be a transcriptionist from that now can you? oops! Been gone too long. A segway is one of those little wheely things you drive around.
Thanks for the explanation, but one paycheck is as "real" as another - on my way out of MT
[ In Reply To ..]
"Insurers disclose their rules and coverage requirements in advance, so no guesswork should be required." "Coding software will examine your coding for this, as well."

I did coding/billing from 1999/2001. We had no coding software to rely on with preloaded codes for us to select. We had no feedback from insurers - in fact we got "black boxed" lists from Medicare that deliberately hid payable codes from us. If things have changed since, fine, but that was not my experience when I did it.

"There is nothing wrong with being a biller or biller-coder or coder-biller, but they are not professional coders. The fact of doing some code-finding, which is what they do, does not make someone a professional coder. There is more to coding."

Personally, I feel a paycheck for doing a job as directed by my employer is all that is ever needed to be "professional".

pro·fes·sion·al [pruh-fesh-uh-nl]
adjective
1.following an occupation as a means of livelihood or for gain: a professional builder.

"The jobs are so different that employers of coders do not normally consider coder-billers qualified. If they had furthered their education and gotten certified, it would be different."

That is a matter of choice between employer and employee. Some employers have different ideas as to what suits their needs. My employer in this case deliberately hired people off the street with no training. That was her choice and her preference, as she wanted people with a fresh perspective that could be trained to do things the way she wanted, instead of by someone else's rules and standards.

"Just trying to present the other side of the story. It is one thing to be discouraged from a job for legitimate reasons, but you don't want to be taking advice from someone who doesn't understand the job."

Again, YOUR job experience is not the ONLY job experience possible, and YOUR employer's needs are not EVERY employer's needs. As evidenced by the multitude of job ads by small offices that require their coders to do double duty as billers.

"A coder-biller does some "coding" but does not perform the same duties or fill the same role as a professional coder. The coder-biller is NOT usually clear about this because it is not a matter of licensing. The roles are not defined by laws, but by professional organizations and certifying groups."

There are employers/employees that have no desire or need to participate in professional organizations and certifying groups in order to accomplish their goals.

"It is possible to learn some these jobs without attending formal programs"

You're darn right it is, and not everyone "needs" a certification to feel "professional". I'm old school - a firm believer that if you can do one type of clerical work, you can learn to do any other, and that's all any of this is really - and if you think a certification or title is going to cause someone above you (like a doctor or administrator) to see you as something else, they won't. I've learned on the job at all my employers, and in this case, my employer sent us to coding optimization seminars now and then. "Professional" coders and "professional" MTs may get certified to their heart's content and thump their chests and do the Tarzan yell because THEY got certified, but that does NOT necessitate that EVERYONE must do exactly that in order to do that job. I'm actually very glad I never wasted the time, money and effort to become a certified MT, as it would have given me nothing greater than what 10 years of "unprofessional" MT experience has gotten me - in the long run.
Sorry, but coding is not clerical work - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
You are missing the point. No one is disrespecting what you do or did. This has nothing to do with what your employer made you do or whether you got paid for it.

It has to do with the nature of the job. A job, I might point out, that you claim to have hated and which you now recommend that others avoid.

You aren't getting that the job you hated is not the job we are talking about when we say "coding."

I have no doubt that you hated that job. I would, too. It WAS clerical work. IT WAS BILLING.

You are confusing and misleading others with your arguing. Stop turning this into a personal attack. Your former job that you hated just wasn't what we are talking about.

"Professional coder" is not chest thumping. It is the title of the job that you did not do, but which you confuse with the job you did. Professional coders are people who do that job. The job of professional medical coder is not clerical work. Billing IS clerical work, but professional coders are not considered clerical workers. They are categorized as ancillary medical professionals by the federal government -- the same as health information administrators, pharmacists, nurses, laboratory technologists, speech therapists, and audiologists.
Yeah, it is - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
%
Some would lead you to believe no job is "real" - without certification
[ In Reply To ..]
And usually the people selling this train of thought are also selling certification or have purchased that certification themselves! Yes, folks, nowadays a college education and certification is needed to file a piece of paper, answer a phone, or swab out a toilet! Just ask a college with such a program or someone "certified" in filing/phones/toilet swabbing and they will tell you all about how THEY are professional and anybody who does it minus certification is an unwashed heathen that will do a substandard job. On this board we know better - many of us never became certified MTs and we're all being devalued equally - certified or uncertified, our career is still being killed by corporate greed. Coding could just as easily go down the same path in the future.
Good luck getting a coding job without it - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
Nm
I DID get one without it. You're not paying attention - on my way out of MT
[ In Reply To ..]
I got a coding job without certification, in fact I was hired to code with no experience whatever! Don't fret that I am taking work away from "real" coders, I decided I didn't like it and don't want to do it any more. I will not split hairs any further with anybody who feels I wasn't a "real" coder - the job was advertised as coding, I learned coding, I have 5 coding seminar certificates hanging on my wall at this very moment. I wore my ICD-9 manual to rags coding, I have coding on my resume, my ex-boss gives me good recommendations to this day. Set me down in a room with nothing but a list of diagnoses and an ICD-9 manual and I can code the entire list correctly without a computer babysitting and confirming my choices.

I also got many transcription jobs without certification. I've just been hired as an Informatics/PACS assistant by a hospital that gave me credit for my entire coding/billing/transcription history (they based my pay on my years of experience). My entire medical career has been without certification - yet my skills are recognized by employers and I can prove those skills to anyone who cares to test them.

Its so amusing to be told things I've done are impossible. I guess they are - for YOU. If you care to read the fine print in the coding want ads - many of them say certification "preferred" but guess what - they truly like experience and no certification OVER certification with no experience. Competence - I can prove it. Only the insecure need a title to feel their skills are solid.
OK, you win! - You are an expert!
[ In Reply To ..]
In my organization, your "informatics/pacs assistant" job would be a level 4. The department that has those jobs would be thrilled with your coding background, too, because they don't know any better, nor do you need it in that job.

We require coders to be certified. They are 6-10s.

Certification is expected by Medicare. Facilities have to expect it as part of their compliance program.

When you worked in that job, it was years ago and things were different. A lot has changed since then. Coding now involves more than diagnoses, for one.

Congratulations - on
[ In Reply To ..]
your new job. You are going down a path due to where you̢۪ve been and what you know. All of those skills are valuable and it is working for you. You don̢۪t need certification for those positions. You are happy, they are happy. You̢۪re path could have gone towards coding, but you don̢۪t like it, so you went a different way. Follow your path. Others may choose to do coding, which is a different path, that̢۪s all.
Your sarcasm is poetry to my eyes - slowrhythmichandclap
[ In Reply To ..]
It isn't often I see such an expert display of sarcasm. I have a tear in my eyes. That was truly great.

Brava, sister!

(and that isn't sarcasm)
I beg to differ - Me again
[ In Reply To ..]
You have never heard of an insurance claim being denied because the diagnosis codes were inadequate or not explained clearly enough? I guess what you are saying is that you are never wrong. It is not unethical to resubmit a bill, and on occasion there is not only "one correct code." The billers/coders I know sometimes do have to dig deeper and do additional record review research to make sure their facility gets paid. You apparently never deal with insurance companies from your ivory tower, but they can be difficult, and you'd be amazed at the reasons they have for denying claims or paying at a lesser level. Very few coders educate providers unless they work in compliance or auditing. I'm not saying you don't know what you are talking about, but perhaps that you might be misinformed.

That sounds like medical office admin - not coding

[ In Reply To ..]

In the same boat. sm - Kindred

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm 51 and have been considering the coding avenue.

I got my MT certificate from our local community college, so would absolutely not recommend a community college from my experience for coding classes. Even though I had 4.0 average with MT classes, absolutely was not prepared to do real MT work upon completion. Thank goodness I found an in-house internship opportunity (Roder/Atlanta) and learned what I needed to know through hard work and perseverance and the help of many hands-on, in-house mentors!

I was considering the Medline "bridging course" if I do anything.

I don't mind going to work out of the home, not a problem at all, but like all the other posters are stating, how in the heck are you supposed to get your foot in the door?

Not to mention that according to what I read in the Sunday paper, and which I believe, is that the age 50-60 group is having the hardest time finding work.

It seems we are all either going back to school or toying with the idea to learn another trade. Would it even be feasible?

I am holding on to the idea that with all of our transcription experience, it should blend well with coding knowledge, but who the heck knows.

I wish I had majored more in medical assisting, but my local community classes only offers those courses at their satellite school an hour away, no on-line courses, etc. I cannot seem to find another option.

I don't think coding is going to be the answer for me.

I actually thought of doing this... - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I went to my family doc recently for a simple annual visit, used to take an hour at most. I was there 4-1/2 hours. My doc and her nurse were almost pulling their hair out trying to figure out the computer system, the EMR. It took an hour for the nurse to go through it with me and another hour for the doc to go through it when I finally saw her. I don't have major medical issues, so it was mostly answering, "no" to questions, not like they had to fill out a bunch of hairy stuff.

My doc said they absolutely hated the EMR system. She said she used to see 20 patients a day, and now they see about 10. Also other docs she knew had also started seeing about half the patients they normally did, all due to fussing with typing in the EMR.

She knows I'm an MT, and she showed me the screen, the finished product, which she said was a "choppy" read, she hated it. She mentioned she was thinking about hiring someone to type it in for her. She said she could use someone like myself to do that part for her, as she cannot type well and is unhappy she doesn't have face-to-face contact with patients because she has to spend so much time entering info into the computer, backing up in the system to make corrections, just navigating it took too much of her time.

I told her some MTs were wanting to do this job, called "scribes," but some thought it would be a passing fad. Her response was she would love to hire someone like that and she knew of other docs who would, too.

After I got home, I seriously thought about contacting her to ask if she would consider hiring me as a scribe. But I'm full time in school, working PT, and luckily my MT schedule allows me to take evening classes. With this semester and next to go, I'm reluctant to get into a job that would interfere with school, so I'm waiting it out for now.

Anyway, I know many MTs go out in the community and acquire their own clients and accounts for MT work. I think it is feasible for MTs to advertise themselves as scribes, shop around and see if docs are interested. If docs see hiring a scribe could increase the number of patients they see, well, I think it's worth thinking about. If I were not getting close to finishing school, I would have seriously looked into whether my doc would hire me in a scribe capacity. We have the typing skills, familiarity with how a medical record is formatted and put together, we know how to navigate computer programs related to medical recs. Who better to do a scribe job?

By the way, I'm not trying to start a debate about scribes, good job to get into or bad. I just saw a doctor who seemed to want one.

I would LOVE that! sm - Kindred

[ In Reply To ..]
That would be right up my ally!

I really did used to be a people person, I swear!

By golly, I am going to look into that!

Kudos to your insight!

I did it - Would do it again

[ In Reply To ..]
I learned coding, got hired in a trainee position, coded for a large facility, and then went back to school for an RHIA. I was able to move into informatics because of my coding background.

Would I do it again? Yes, absolutely. Health information administration is one of the fastest growing fields around, is achievable through online study, and can be done in an incremental fashion. Salaries and working conditions are good.

Your mileage may vary.

Hey I'm headed into informatics too! - on my way out of MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Start my new job next week as a PACS assistant in my hospital's Rad Informatics department - they gave me credit for both my coding/billing and transcription experience to decide on my starting wage. :) They did say 1/3 of my work will be transcription/editing and the rest will be cleaning up messes in PACS and scheduling. :) :)

Good for you! - Would do it again

[ In Reply To ..]
Once you get situated, see if they will pay for school. The health information administration program in informatics at WGU leads to several computer certifications, is affordable, and can be done in less than 4 years if you are motivated. Your chances of being accepted are better if you are already working in something related.

Lissybell - Please sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I am living proof that the transition from MT to coding can be done. I am a little younger than you but I don't think that matters here. I have been working FT as an MT while attending coding school for about a year. I spent less than the $5000 you mentioned, books included. I am just now finishing my course, am already a CPC-A and I am scheduled to take the CCS.

I say where there's a will, there's a way. I was also worried about the "experience needed" aspect for new coders, but everyone has to start somewhere. For me, it looks like I may have a job lined up. The reason for this is because I have been researching my options BEFORE I finished my course and I have been persistent (maybe to a fault). Anyway, I just thought I'd tell you that nothing is impossible, no matter what you may read on these boards to the contrary. I say if it's something you're interested in, go for it!

no way - me

[ In Reply To ..]
I was an inpatient coder for a number of years then went back to MT because at that time it paid better. Spouse coded in military and went on to get certified, yet everybody he talked to told him they required 2 years of experience.

Comments on that - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Not to criticize you or your husband, but certification can mean a lot of things in coding. Certified as what by whom? And when? Some credentials are not accepted by nearly all employers. Some were not accepted by certain types of employers until recently, and still might not be by some.

The "sorry, we require 2 years of experience" excuse is a euphemism for "we don't feel confident with you for some other reason." In your husband's case, my guesses would be his recent military experience. That worked against him because a lot of employers fear hiring the military, worrying about PTSD, aggression, having to hold jobs open during deployments, and other stupid things. There is also a belief that the military does not do real coding, that the coding is "different" and does not include reimbursement issues, involve Medicare, and so forth. All of those things need to be addressed in the application process.

He would probably have no trouble getting on with the VA. Another option would be to try to work through a veteran reintegration program for that first job placement.

Similar Messages:

Transition From MT To Coding...
Mar 17, 2011

I'm thinking of making the jump after years (22+) in MT and LT and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on the best way to go about doing this.  I have found a couple of prep courses for the CCP exam, but it would be nice if I could hear some actual experiences that people have had with some of the actual courses out there.  It would be great if you could provide links to the places that y'all have gone to.  Feel free to e-mail me if you'd prefer.  Tha ...

Transition From Transcription To Billing/Coding
Nov 14, 2011

I am a medical transcriptionist that has been typing radiology the last 11 years. My job is going to be phased out by voice recognition soon. I'm thinking of going back to school for medical billing/coding. Has anyone else made this transition? Do you like or hate it? ...

Has Anyone Made The Successful Transition To Coding/billing
Sep 07, 2013

I'm thinking about getting certified in this area. Mostly considering coding as that has the smallest contact with patients and I get to work independently. I had some schooling about 20 years ago for coding, have been a transcriptionist 16 years, plus QA specialist and editor. I just want short-term schooling. I have hesitated going into this field because I am afraid it will go overseas, and that no one will give new hires a chance. I know one gal who went to school for it and gave ...

MT In Transition
Apr 27, 2011

I work for Precyse, and they are now sending the 3rd new account in my region over to India, and we are constantly without work anymore.  I have applied for a job with Transcend Services.  Can anyone tell me about this company please?  First and foremost, do you run out of work very often?  ...

Something To Transition To!!!!
Dec 24, 2011

Is your MT career dead? Don't know what to do? Here's the NEXT BIG THING! And you get to still stay at home! hmmm, I wonder if I can hook my headset up to my phone.... LOL  =]   http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/22/phone-sex-moms_n_1166075.html?1324589894&ncid=webmail19 ...

Transition
Jan 16, 2014

How does one make the transition over to acute care with no acute care experience. All the jobs I see want acute care. I fully understand that. I am willing to make the transition if someone would give me a chance. I ran into this as a new MT back 4 years ago. I have clinic experience, but no acute care experience.  I'm looking for jobs daily as I lost my job 2 weeks ago due to electronic records. I need to work as bills are stacking up.  What companies hire for clinic work, wil ...

Transition To Third Shift
Feb 02, 2011

Hello everyone! I was wondering if anyone who works or has worked third shift in the past could share with me any advice they might have. I have always worked first shift, but I have been offered a really terrific position working third shift on the weekends, and I am finding myself wanting to give it a try. I know it would be a difficult transition at first, and I would need to focus on taking good care of myself. If anyone has any advice, I would so greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advanc ...

Nervous Transition
Oct 21, 2011

I have come into transciption within the past four years. This is something I have always wanted to do and finally found a way to get into the field. There does not seem to be alot of money in straight typing, and less in VR. I have always made incentive, but still - its just not enough and I work very hard to get that. Right now, I work for a company with straight typing only, no VR. I am taking a position with a company that has VR and it sounds to me like the position is pre ...

DSG - Hows The Transition Going?
Mar 07, 2012

Haven't seen any recent threads lately and just wondered how everyone was doing? Are things getting better for everyone? Were you able to get back on original accounts before the change? I read a thread on here a couple weeks back where people had been kinda shuffeled around and was wondering had it gotten any better for you all. ...

CMTs Who Transition
Mar 20, 2012

Will you or have you let your CMT expire? ...

How Long Did Your Transition Take?
Jul 19, 2013

For those of you who worked for a hospital department that went to an MTSO, how long did the transition take? We received the notice the beginning of 11/10 and they're still not fully transitioned. The first MTSO was swallowed up by a 2nd MTSO. It's possible by Sept we'll be on Powerscribe and then my job will end. P-scribe was not supposed to be the platform in the first place either. I was kept on as an IC to help with the transition. There have been countless tech problems ...

Transition To Nuance
Jun 09, 2014

Looking for good, bad, ugly, but please just the plain truth about Nuance. I will possibly transitioning to them from my company that they bought, going from IC to employee. I am very nervous about this and need some REAL HONEST insight as to their work environment, management, attributes, and downfalls. Thanks ...

VR Editing Transition
Aug 06, 2014

Need some help here. I'm a small MTSO and have done straight transcription for almost 20 years.  I am in danger of losing my biggest client which will throw most of my subs out of work.  I've been scrambling to come up with ways to keep this account and have emailed the practice manager about ways that we could still help.  They are going to EMR and will be deploying Dragonspeak for the doctors.  Many of the doctors have nasty accents and I can only imagine what th ...

EditScript Transition
Aug 28, 2014

How long does it take for reports to transition from typed to edited when first being introduced to EditScript?  Its been almost 4 weeks and 90% or more of the jobs in my account are still straight typing.  Rarely do I see an edit job in the queue.  No one is saying how long such a transition takes.  Just wondering if anyone here has experience with their account going to editing and how long it took before they were actually doing editing instead of typing.  ...

EKG . . . . Late R Wave Transition
Jan 22, 2010

"Baseline EKG shows . . . . late R wave transition?" ...

Career Transition Idea
Jan 21, 2011

I came across this idea when looking for ideas to branch out from doing MT. A local technical school in my area offers a certification degree for a respiratory therapist. In doing some research, this doesn't sound that bad. You basically work with patient's who have trouble breathing, asthma, COPD, etc. Learn how to use all the oxygen breathing equipment and such, learn how to respond to a patient who might be coding and give proper airway support. It sounded a lot harder than it looks ...

MT Transition To Physician Assistant
Mar 05, 2011

I am considering this.  I am interested in biology and medicine, but do not want to be a nurse.  Anyone know about physician assistant's courses, how rigorous they are, how expensive and how much time it takes to complete them?  I am in the middle of getting my associates degree right now in general studies.  The original plan is going for a masters in social work, but biology and medicine is holding my interest at this point, so wondering if I should switch majors.  ...

M-Modal Meeting For DSG Transition
Feb 08, 2012

Well, I see MQ is still touting the fact that we can produce more with ASR.  Some things never change.  If I had had notice that DSG was selling out from under us, I'd have started seriously looking for another job a long time ago.  Not to mention 3 cpl less for QA submissions over 5%.  Same ol' place I left all those years ago that I swore i wouldn't go back to.  Actually, I didn't, I was just sort of "put" there.  Have choices, though, and have ...

Back-and-forth Transition Dance
Jun 17, 2012

So can someone tell me exactly why, after all the hype and cheerleading and 3 weeks of transition-from-Bayscribe-to-BeyondTXT craziness (bye-bye production, hello short paycheck!), now--with very little explanation--we've been told we're going back to square one and it was all for naught?  I'd sure like to know!          ...

DocuScribe Transition Question
Oct 22, 2012

I am typing on a platform from my old company.  Got an email today that we will start transitioning soon and training for DocuScribe.  Can someone whose been through this tell me how long it took to transition their account?  Really dreading this ... ...

Timesaver Transition To Webclock
Dec 16, 2012

Those who are still using Timesaver to log their time are supposed to be switching to webclock right? Does anyone know when that starts? I haven't heard anything about it recently.  ...

Legal Transcription - Transition Into Something Different
Jan 23, 2013

I have all these years of MT experience, but ready to transition into something different, specifically, legal transcribing. Most places (usually law firms) prefer that one have some experience either with legal transcription oreither be a paralegal or law student intern.  Is there a way I can somehow seamlessly transition into legal transcribing without all of that? ...

Andrews Grads Anyone Taken The ICD-10 Transition Course
Apr 08, 2014

I just wondered if there were any Andrews grads who have taken their transition course yet?  ...

Transition To Nuance Employee
Jun 09, 2014

Looking for good, bad, ugly, but please just the plain truth about Nuance. I will possibly transitioning to them from my company that they bought, going from IC to employee. I am very nervous about this and need some REAL HONEST insight as to their work environment, management, attributes, and downfalls. Thanks ...

Has Anyone Made The Transition Or Considered
Jul 25, 2014

looking or working in the IME report generating venue?  I have seen a couple of help wanted ads for this type of job.  Where you would take pt records and create an IME letter.  I was wondering if anyone out there has worked doing this before and what it is like. ...

ATSI - Transition From IC To Employee Confusion
May 06, 2010

A recruiter recently emailed me and stated in her email "After the minimumlines per day is satisfied for 3 consecutive periods as well as the 90 days you will be offered employee status and benefits".  What does that mean?  What does a consecutive period consist of - pay periods?  Annual quarters?  (and please don't tell me to "ask the recruiter" - I have to go through extensive testing before she'll communicate with me again and I want to know if its worth it). I ...

MT To Legal Secretary-- Tough Transition?
Dec 14, 2011

I have a passion for law but fell into the quick cash that comes with being an MT. Then I got an AAS in health information technology and am eligible to sit for my RHIT but it was so long ago, I'm afraid I probably wouldn't pass. So, I'm thinking it's back to the drawing board and was wondering how much additional education I'd need to get a legal secretary/admin asst job. With the degree I have, I've already had to become proficient in Office, filing, research, pro ...

If You Have Made The Transition From Cornerstone To DocQscribe
Mar 07, 2012

Was the transition easy and are you still able to do as many lines as on Cornerstone?  Is DocQscribe better or worse than Cornerstone?  ...

Wanting To Transition To At-home Transcription
Mar 12, 2012

Hi, I currently work full-time at a University Hospital in Iowa in the Department of OB/GYN and have been transcribing in this department for 8 years.  I transcribe for the residents and since their notes are so detailed I have experience in typing about other medical conditions besides just gynecology/ob related.  I have an hour commute one way and I am seriously thinking of quitting this job and trying at-home transcription so I can be closer to my daughter during the day.  She ...

AHIMA Article On Transition From Paper To EHR
Mar 19, 2013

I read in: http://library.ahima.org/xpedio/groups/public/documents/ahima/bok1_048635.hcsp?dDocName=bok1_048635 About EHR and the need to review file room staffing and need to reduce or redefine staff as the record becomes fully electronic, and consider work queues that are built into electronic record systems that will drive HIM staff members' work for the day (e.g., verbal orders that are not signed, transcriptions, etc.). What I am asking the coding forum today is,  Are coder ...