A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Do any BOOKS come with Career Steps Coding Program? - wondering

Posted: May 11, 2010

or is EVERYTHING on line.  Wondering how hard it would be to backtrack to study for exams?

Books - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
They furnish the coding books. There are companion texts to several of the modules but it is not mandatory to purchase them, though I plan to in the near future. It's not too hard to backtrack if you just want to review one section because you can choose what you want to review from a dropdown menu. Trying to review all that material on line for the final might be a problem, though.

Similar Messages:

Career Steps
Nov 21, 2013

I got an email saying they are now offering EHR training.  I haven't checked to see how much it costs yet. ...

Coding Books Recommendation
Jun 09, 2010

Does anyone recommend any beginning coding books to explore the field of coding and possibly get a head start while I am awaiting school?   Thanks so much. ...

Books For Coding Classes (sm)
Mar 17, 2012

We are using the book "Basic ICD-9-CM Coding."  I would like to know what other books other schools are using for Coding I.  I do not think this book is the best for me!  Can anyone suggest any others? ...

Fabulous Way To Save Money On Coding Books!
Aug 16, 2012

Now that I have your attention . . .it is THAT TIME of year again.  Before you order your 2013 code books, remember that there is only one ICD-9 diagnosis code change for 2013.  You do not need to buy a new book this year.  Just get the change from the CDC website and add it by hand.  Same with the procedures. There will be a gazillion CPT changes, sad to say, so get a head start on those.  The CPT books should be available soon, if not already.  The AMA publishes ...

What Do Hospitals Do With Their Coding Books From The Prior Year?
May 23, 2014

I was just wondering since each year the coding books are updated, what do hospitals do with the previous year's books?  There hasn't been an update to ICD-9 since 2012? Correct?     Thank you, PT ...

Is The CareerStep Medical Coding Program A Good Program?
Nov 22, 2010

TIA ...

Career Step Vs SUM Program?
Aug 25, 2011

I'm currently enrolled @ Career Step and stumbled across this forum tonight.  This is the first time I've heard about this SUM program.  Should I be nervous that Career Step doesn't use this program?  I admit, I did not have the money for Andrews or M-tec and thought the AHDI certification was the important thing.  Now I'm not so sure.  Will I be passed over by recruiting agents without this knowledge? Thanks   ...

Opinions On Career Step's MT Program
Feb 26, 2010

I am looking to get some opinions on Career Step's MT program. Has anybody been able to find a job after completion? Any information would be greatly appreciated!  ...

Career Step - How Long It Took Some Of You To Complete The Program
Oct 21, 2009

I am currently enrolled in the Career Step program and I am wondering how long it took some of you to complete the program. I am a mother to 3 kiddos and I don't have time to work on it every single day. It seems a bit overwhelming if you look at all of the reports there are to transcribe. So, how long did it take for you to complete the program? Thanks, MT Mommy 2B ...

Familiar With The Transcription Program At Either Career Step
May 29, 2012

Is anyone familiar with the transcription program at either Career Step, MT at Home, or Medical Transcription A to Z?  Opinions would be appreciated. ...

Which Coding Workbook Does Your Coding Program Use
May 20, 2014

Thanks for your response.  ...

Coding Career Question. Sm
Apr 21, 2010

I just responded above that I am researching schools now to change from MT to coding. However, after checking the want ads for about a month now there are hardly any ads for a coder. What other positions would a coder be qualified for? I am afraid to waste my time and money, only to get out of school and find there aren't any jobs available. ...

Career In Medical Coding?
Jul 22, 2011

I am considering training for medical coding but I don't want to spend the $$ if in a few years that industry goes the way of medical transcription with computers taking over our jobs and putting us out of work. I would welcome any and all information and opinions on this as well as recommendations for coding programs to enroll in. ...

Coding Career Question
Sep 22, 2011

What are the opportunities for coding within a specialty medical clinic, i.e. orthopedics?  I am currently halfway through a coding course and I feel like I would be happiest working within a clinic rather than a hospital.  I just wonder what opportunities exist and what the average salaries would be for outpatient coding within a clinic.  Do these jobs even exist?  Or would a job within a clinic also include billing and other related duties, not just coding reports all day ...

Career Step Coding Graduates.....
Mar 01, 2011

1.  How long did it take you to complete the course? 2.  Were you able to pass the certification exam? 3.  Are you working as a coder? 4.  Overall opinion on the career step coding course? Any info would be greatly appreciated.  TIA ...

Looking For Career Options, Exploring Coding
Jul 11, 2011

I walked into my community college and asked an advisor to give me a list of choices of careers I could study locally that would be quick. My sole purpose is to re-enter the working world as fast as possible. Medical Billing / Coding was one of the options. A friend reffered this site to me in response to an MT oportunity and, as if my prayers were answered, I noticed the Coding / Billing forum which has answered many questions. However, I have more, I always do. How d ...

Career Change - RHIT, Coding And LPN?
Aug 02, 2011

I've been an MT for 10 years but for the past year I have been in school working towards an AA degree in Health Information Management.  I would like to be an RHIT and do coding somewhere.  However, I like it but not enough to want to do this for the rest as my life as I am only 34.  I love the medical field and want to stay in it but am thinking of switching my major.  I think maybe switching to LPN and then eventually become an RN.  I think that I might enjoy working with people more ...

Am I Too Old To Start A Career In Medical Coding
Jan 30, 2013

Dear Friends: I am 56 and I am a medical transcriptionists of 11 years and I am very interested in broadening my career and pursuing a career in medical coding.   I am interested in the Andrew's School.   I have two questions.  My first is what is the future of medical coding, i.e., will it be done offshore in the future like transcription and will it be replaced by the EMR.  The second question is am I tool old for training& ...

Has Anyone Completed The Career Step Coding
Jan 17, 2015

feel you were adequately trained. How long did it take to complete? Any information would be appreciated. ...

Career Coding Step Grads??
Apr 21, 2015

Any Career Step grads on here who were able to get a good paying REMOTE job right after finishing the course? How long did it take you?  I know they only get you ready for the CPC and CCA (versus CCS).....and how soon after finishing were you able to sit for and pass the CCS?  ...

Career Step And AHIMA Coding Programs
Apr 29, 2010

What is your experience with either of these schools in terms of relevance, quality of instruction, materials used, preparation for exam and coding on-the-job, responsiveness of the school? I'm considering both and would really appreciate your thoughts. Thank you! ...

I Am Almost Done With My Coding Program But
Sep 22, 2011

now I don't know if I want to be a coder :(.  I planned on taking the CPC and then after a few years taking the CCS.  Before I started my program, I was naive and didn't realize how difficult and complex coding is.  I don't know that I can sit in front of a computer for 8 hours and code all day long.  It's almost too much like MTing (desk work, I mean).  Plus, I am not confident in my ability to even pass the CPC.  I am not very satisfied with th ...

Advice Needed On Coding Career And Getting My Foot In The Door
Jul 25, 2011

So, I've been an MT for 8 years.  Previously, I did medical billing.  I am so burnt out from doing MT and having a dead-end job that I am working towards my AA degree in Health Information Management, then want to get my bachelor's, then would like to go to graduate school for Health Care Administration.  Anyway, if want to become a coder, as I am working my way up the HIM ladder, would it be wise for me to take a job in medical billing first?   I don't ha ...

Which Online Coding Program
Aug 17, 2010

How does one know which online coding program to take when they all seem pretty good, besides the price difference? I specifically want to know about AHIMA or Career Step from someone who has graduated and found a job. I know they have testimonials on their website, but how does one really know?  I was thinking about either their program or the one from AHIMA, which seems a lot longer, but apparently with either you will be able to sit for the credentialing exam, and they seem to be close in ...

Does Anyone Know If The Andrews Coding Program...sm
Dec 09, 2010

offers training of the 3M encoding software?  I read that Career Step does and when I look at most coding jobs, they require training and experience using 3M encoding software.  Thanks for your help! ...

AHDPG Coding Program
Jan 18, 2012

Has anyone attended thisl AHDPG coding program?  I see they are recommended by AAPC.  I am a little leary of them as I have never heard of them  before. ...

Question About A Particular Coding Program
Sep 07, 2012

I am looking for a medical coding program and have been checking into various ones. I came across this one and it seems too good to be true. All others have been at least $1000 but usually more than that. This programs states it is only $349 for a 6 month indepth course. You can find it at www.medicalcodingpro.com or just google Medical Coding Pro. My concern is, does this program really train you from scratch or is it meant as a refresher course for people who have worked in this field pr ...

Is It Important To Take A Coding Program That Is
Jul 29, 2013

or does it mostly boil down to going to a school with a good curriculum and then getting a certification? I'm trying to decide between a community college program and Career Step.  The community college program, I won't be able to graduate from until 2015, which seems like forever, but with Career Step, I could be done in a year from now.  Career Step is AHIMA approved, and MModal (my current employer) told me that the AHIMA approval is important. ...

CPC/CCS Coding Program Other Than Andrews
Sep 03, 2013

Does anyone know of a (non-degree) program other than Andrews that upon completion will allow you to be eligible to sit for the CCS and CPC exam. I have researched the Andrews program and think it sounds great and comes with awesome recommendations from this board. I just want to explore any other options available before I take the plunge. Not necessarily needing a degree, already have Masters in Health Administration. Thanks so much. ...

Coding Program And FT/PT Status . Wonder
Mar 11, 2014

If chosen for this program and moving down to PT production, I wonder if you are then considered PT and will lose health benefits? Has anyone inquired about this yet? ...