A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Career change - RHIT, coding and LPN? - sm

Posted: Aug 02, 2011

I've been an MT for 10 years but for the past year I have been in school working towards an AA degree in Health Information Management.  I would like to be an RHIT and do coding somewhere.  However, I like it but not enough to want to do this for the rest as my life as I am only 34.  I love the medical field and want to stay in it but am thinking of switching my major.  I think maybe switching to LPN and then eventually become an RN.  I think that I might enjoy working with people more rather than sitting in front of a computer for 8 hours a day.  I am also worried that coding will become just like MTing and I don't want to waste my time.  What to do?

Time for a change - Lisa

[ In Reply To ..]
Agreed. I have been in this business for 14 years, currently am barely holding onto a job at a hospital and in school to get my LPN license. I plan on transitioning to RN. I have taken some of the classes for RHIT but found them to be SO boring I could not take it. It has taken me some time but I feel I am on the right path now. Good luck to you.

Absolutely. RN is not just a potentially noble work, it's - extremely varied--you can go so many different

[ In Reply To ..]
ways and places with it. Good for you guys.

career change - maridots

[ In Reply To ..]
anytime you can upgrade your status you should do it. you already have a head start since you are familiar with the medical terminology, go for it and don't stop with LPN, go all the way for RN. Spend a couple years doing LPN work then move on, you'll find yourself limited eventually since you aren't an RN. Best of luck to you!

Good choice once you have experience - HospitalBrat

[ In Reply To ..]
Getting the experience is hard, though, because a lot of places look first at your patient care experience. Get what you can before applying.

My dad is a hospital administrator. He started out in big research hospitals but later switched to small town settings, where he is much happier. Your chances of getting on in a smaller place are much better, and you get more cross training because in that kind of a setting, everyone has to pitch in and help wherever they can.

It also changes your perspective on typing! Working in larger settings has always been a bit more difficult for me because of the number of management positions who have never had a day of hands-on patient care.

Good luck! Once you are able to break into the nursing arena, you can pretty much go anywhere you want, and it's a highly gratifying job.

MT to Nursing - RNMT

[ In Reply To ..]
My advice to anyone choosing to become an RN is to not stop with the Associate Degree, but continue your education as far as you can.

What options are there for career change? - anom

[ In Reply To ..]
I have done medical transcription 18 years and I am 38. It is all I have ever done and with family responsibilities and the economy the way it is going back to school is not an option. Any ideas of what other careers I may qualify for?
Other ideas - Cathy
[ In Reply To ..]
Other options might be secretary, medical receptionist, medical/dental assistant (some places will offer free training--like the local orthodontist does). I had interviewed for a real-time captionist position at a local university and was considered well qualified for that. The hours didn't work for me, but it was a great position with summers off. You might want to consider medical billing or coding. AHIMA has some online classes for coding and other areas that might be worth looking into, but not sure if other schools would be better or how that would compare. Try "to think outside of the box" if you don't want to do MT anymore.
EMR data migration clerk - Alice
[ In Reply To ..]
I've recently seen ads for this category, don't know anything about it, but it looks interesting.

EMR DATA MIGRATION CLERK
Also check career development websites, etc. - Cathy
[ In Reply To ..]
You can also go to your department of labor for help with career advice and other resources. I came across this website today, myskillsmyfuture dot org, that helps you transition to another career by giving you suggestions of what jobs use similar skills as your current job.
interesting website- unfortunately - maggie
[ In Reply To ..]
the jobs listed are not super great sounding- the only one that even comes close to the same pay would be paralegal/legal assistant, which would still require going to school. I am surprised that medical librarian is not on there- that has been something I have considered, since I am not physically able to do nursing. The other thing that sounds interesting to me and there is a 2 year online program for it is cancer registrar. We have one here at our hospital that I might try shadowing some day to see what it involves.

Similar Messages:

Former RHIT Looking To Get Back Into Coding
Jan 06, 2014

I have my AA degree and sat and passed for the RHIT about 10 years ago.  I worked as a coder for just one year before I decided to become an MT.  Obviously, this is a choice I now regret.  I no longer have my RHIT so I would need to study for it, but so much has changed since then and I'm not quite sure where I should go for refresher courses?  I've checked out AHIMA and they have a few options for me, but just wondering if anyone has any advice or if they've t ...

RHIT Vs. Coding Cert.
May 13, 2014

I am RHIT eligible and would definitely need a refresher before I took the test.  If I am looking for coding positions, would it be better to have a coding certification or the RHIT? Does it matter? ...

RHIT Prepare You For Coding
Jul 23, 2014

I see programs to sit for RHIT but does that prepare you for coding?  Is it required to get your CCA for that?  ...

Can You Take The RHIT Or CCS Having Just Finished Coding School?
Apr 01, 2010

I am thinking about taking a billing/coding class, but noticed that getting a job after that involved having the RHIT or CCS.  I am wonding if this will be a catch 22 and don't want to spend time in school for coding if I cannot pass these 2 tests when I am done, as it looks like I will not be able to get hired without these certificates.  Sorry about the confusion on this.  Thanks for your time and info. ...

RHIT And Medical Coding Future
Oct 09, 2011

Does anyone have good input on whether medical scribes are the new medical transcriptionists only being filled my medical students, medical assistants or a part-time or piecemeal clerk at a lower rate (hourly or by piece) than medical transcriptionists -- if lower pay is even possible? Also, what are any inputs on RHIT and the medical coding future? I already have a bachelor's degree but thought about another associate degree in RHIT in a CAHIIM accredited program. From your viewpoint, wou ...

RHIT DEGREE VS CODING CERTIFICATION
Feb 13, 2013

In researching an HIT degree, I have mostly come across job descriptions that include coding.  I am currently a medical transcriptionist and jobs are now being shipped off shore.  Are coding jobs being shipped off shore as well?  And, if so, what would the benefit be of a degree in Health Information Techology?  What jobs are available other than coding and medical records? ...

Possible Career Change
Jun 25, 2011

I am considering taking classes for MT as I am ready for a change in my life. As I am looking into MT I have come across several questions that I want to ask to save myself the stress, etc. of preparing to start something that may not be what I am looking for. I see the different schools listed that others have recommended and yet I also see where my local community college offers course in MT. In your opinion would the courses there be suffice to work as a MT? For those working as MT, what do ...

Looking Into Career Change From MT
Jul 10, 2012

I've been doing medical transcription for 17 years now.  It used to be a good field to get into and good pay, but as the medical transcription field seems to be slowly phasing out and it's getting harder to make a decent living as we are getting lower wages and less work, I've been thinking about going back to school and getting a bachelor's in health informatation managment or administration.  I already have an assosciate's degree, but I would like to know wha ...

Looking For Career Change
Dec 16, 2012

I have been doing transcription for 30 years. I am fed up with it. I started working in a hospital and was making $17 an hr when they decided to lay us off. Then we went contract with the company the hospital was using at .10 cpl. Then, in October, we found out that Nuance had taken over. Now I am making .8 cpl. I want to make a career change. I have been sending out applications since August, probably close to 30 or more, with no interviews at all, no calls, nothing. I think all they see is all ...

Considering A Career Change...any Advice?
Dec 15, 2009

I've finally made myself accept the fact that medical transcription is never going to return to its former state and have been wondering in what other field I have an interest and could once again earn a decent living. Does anyone on the forum have any paralegal or legal secretary experience?  I've been researching this field online and have found a few on-line courses but, as with MT, I know I have to be really careful which course I choose and from whom.  If anyone h ...

MT As Career Change Choice
Sep 06, 2010

Hi,  I hope you don't mind a visitor from the outside I'm here because I need to change careers. I'm 59 , female, single, and have done one career all my life which has been clinical social work/mental health counseling.  I'm burned out with this career and alot has indicated that medical transcription might suit me.  Where do I begin? What training do I need? Do I need training at all? (this may sound dumb) What schools are the best? Online versus ...

Advice On Career Change
Aug 24, 2011

I've been a medical transcriptionst for 25 years (most of that time working at home)...I can't believe how much money I am losing....I used to think that I would never go back into an office/hospital to work because I wouldn't be making enough money.  Now, I am at my wits end.  My pay has literally been cut in half, no thanks to EMR/VR.  I am at a loss as to what to do...should I change careers (at age 49) or keep doing what I'm doing, while getting further and ...

Career Change Back To MT?
Sep 24, 2011

I was a medical transcriptionist for 9 years, working from home.  Two years ago, I left the field and took an opportunity elsewhere.  At the time, it was a better opportunity financially.  It turns out that this position is not what I thought it was going to be.  The money is nice, but the stress and the job itself are making me miserable!  When I quit transcribing 2 years ago, I was making about 0.9 cents/line and only working part-time.  My current position pays a ...

New MT Thinking Of Career Change...
Jan 29, 2012

I have been working at an OBGYN office for 10 months now and for reasons I'd rather not get into, I am having issues with my MT supervisor. I love MT work. I do feel it is the right niche for me. However, my LPH is under 100 and I do not feel that I am getting enough work to improve my speed. I am still new and still learning. I'm starting to wonder if I might be better off setting up a home office and trying to get on with a company like Medquist or something. I am getting paid on ...

Career Change Advice
Jun 06, 2012

Hello!  I just found this board and am hoping for some advice.  I will give you some background information first.  I am a LPN, but have been a SAHM only for nearly 4 years.  I actually left the profession because of burn-out, and my husbands job allowed be to stay home.  I love being home, but I'm feeling a bit restless.  I'd like to start contributing a bit financially, without huge committments.  (I am VP of my kids' PTA and I keep plenty busy in many aspects). Last w ...

2 Jobs That Will Never Be Offshored...if You Want A Career Change
Jan 29, 2010

Makes sense to me; I'd opt to be an electrician (if I can't get on disability). Automotive technicians and mechanics repair and maintain automobiles and light trucks. Motorists need these services near their homes and businesses, meaning this hands-on work would be pretty hard for someone in another country to do. So rest easy. This job is staying close to home.  Training is a 6-month or 1-year automotive repair certificate program or a 2-year associate degree program.& ...

Current MT Needing Career Change
Aug 09, 2011

I've decided I am getting out of MTing.  The two options I am interested are completely different yet in the medical field which I love.  First is health information management, 2-year degree.  Would like to be a coder but worried it will end up like MT in 10 years.  Second is becoming an LPN and then down the road an RN.  I am in my early 30s and I've got a long work life ahead of me but want to be happy!  Which way to go? ...

Online School & Career Change At 40
Feb 02, 2013

Currently hold Bachelor Degree in Business Administration. Worked as executive admin asst for past 15 years. Considering going to Andrews on line MT school. Is this a good investment and career change for me or should I look into something else? Like the ability to possibly work from home. Also, which school is best choice for finding work at home job (Andrews, Career Step, Mtec, etc..)??? ...

Career Change After 20 Years Of Medical Transcription
Dec 22, 2013

Anybody got any ideas for a career change for someone that has been doing medical transcription for 20 years? ...

Career Change To Massage Therapist Suggestion
Mar 06, 2014

My son is attending massage therapy training and will be done the end of June. He will be making more money than I will be once working. It only took a year. He is going for another year to earn an AA, but will start working and go to school at night. It's kind of expensive, but I think it would be a rewarding career. There is an extensive anatomy course that we MTs would breeze through, so I thought I would pass this suggestion on. I realize some of you are in remote areas and thi ...

Beware Any Of These Coaches For Career Or Life Change.
Mar 11, 2015

The last one on here wanted to charge $497 for a 3-month package of some junk book and phone coaching and followup coaching sessions.  I've got her email.  I'd hate to find out what her "expanded " package costs.  You can find all the same information on line yourself for free.  How much time have you already spent job searching on line?   Don't waste your money with these people and your time.  Use your time wisely yourself. You could also lik ...

Coding Career Question. Sm
Apr 21, 2010

I just responded above that I am researching schools now to change from MT to coding. However, after checking the want ads for about a month now there are hardly any ads for a coder. What other positions would a coder be qualified for? I am afraid to waste my time and money, only to get out of school and find there aren't any jobs available. ...

Career In Medical Coding?
Jul 22, 2011

I am considering training for medical coding but I don't want to spend the $$ if in a few years that industry goes the way of medical transcription with computers taking over our jobs and putting us out of work. I would welcome any and all information and opinions on this as well as recommendations for coding programs to enroll in. ...

Coding Career Question
Sep 22, 2011

What are the opportunities for coding within a specialty medical clinic, i.e. orthopedics?  I am currently halfway through a coding course and I feel like I would be happiest working within a clinic rather than a hospital.  I just wonder what opportunities exist and what the average salaries would be for outpatient coding within a clinic.  Do these jobs even exist?  Or would a job within a clinic also include billing and other related duties, not just coding reports all day ...

Career Step Coding Graduates.....
Mar 01, 2011

1.  How long did it take you to complete the course? 2.  Were you able to pass the certification exam? 3.  Are you working as a coder? 4.  Overall opinion on the career step coding course? Any info would be greatly appreciated.  TIA ...

Looking For Career Options, Exploring Coding
Jul 11, 2011

I walked into my community college and asked an advisor to give me a list of choices of careers I could study locally that would be quick. My sole purpose is to re-enter the working world as fast as possible. Medical Billing / Coding was one of the options. A friend reffered this site to me in response to an MT oportunity and, as if my prayers were answered, I noticed the Coding / Billing forum which has answered many questions. However, I have more, I always do. How d ...

Am I Too Old To Start A Career In Medical Coding
Jan 30, 2013

Dear Friends: I am 56 and I am a medical transcriptionists of 11 years and I am very interested in broadening my career and pursuing a career in medical coding.   I am interested in the Andrew's School.   I have two questions.  My first is what is the future of medical coding, i.e., will it be done offshore in the future like transcription and will it be replaced by the EMR.  The second question is am I tool old for training& ...

Has Anyone Completed The Career Step Coding
Jan 17, 2015

feel you were adequately trained. How long did it take to complete? Any information would be appreciated. ...

Career Coding Step Grads??
Apr 21, 2015

Any Career Step grads on here who were able to get a good paying REMOTE job right after finishing the course? How long did it take you?  I know they only get you ready for the CPC and CCA (versus CCS).....and how soon after finishing were you able to sit for and pass the CCS?  ...

Career Step And AHIMA Coding Programs
Apr 29, 2010

What is your experience with either of these schools in terms of relevance, quality of instruction, materials used, preparation for exam and coding on-the-job, responsiveness of the school? I'm considering both and would really appreciate your thoughts. Thank you! ...