A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

WEBMEDX - fair and accurate comments by transcriptionists who work for them? - being replaced

Posted: Nov 19, 2010

Webmedx has contracted to do all the transcription at our hospital and off-site radiology center.  The current transcriptionists are being offered jobs with Webmedx, at approximately 1/3 of what we were making!  There is no guarantee that they will keep us on the account and no clear definition of what a "line" is.  Current Webmedx transcriptionists please comment on the company with fair and accurate information so we can decide if we want to align ourselves with this company (if we can even afford to)...  We may all make more money on unemployment than we would with this company!  While I know that Webmedx corporate may "lurk" and comment here I would greatly appreciate a wide variety of comments so we can be well-informed.  Thanks so much for your information. 

webmedx - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
If you will do a search on the archives, you will find many, many comments. I think your statement summed it up, 1/3 is being offered to you! Unfortunately, this is what is happening to all US transcriptionists, most hospitals outsource now. I am trying to get into another line of work.

Having said that, up until recently Webmedx was among the best of the big nationals, in my opinion. However, lately there has been poor communication and not much work. We are expected to flex to meet our hours/week, meaning we might spend 10 hours or more a day trying to get in our 8 hours. This greatly cuts into your ability to have a life outside of Webmedx! Good luck with whatever you decide.

Have read a lot on this board but looking for the most up to date info... Thanks! - being replaced

[ In Reply To ..]
Having been a MTSO owner in the past I am all to well aware of what is going on. I've been a transcriptionist and an MTSO for 30+ years and have seen my salary and the salaries of my sub's go down year after year! I am probably too old to go back to school for a year or two and then get rehired. But, I am also too young to retire and absolutely have to work because of finances. Therefore the most accurate info I can get will help me and the other transcriptionists being "offered" employment by Webmedx!

current webmedx - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I was hired several years back and am at the highest pay scale, which is still better than the other nationals offered me when I recently looked. Sounds as if you would definitely be at the highest scale as well. I am wondering, though, if their "highest" pay isn't lower than what it used to be.

To answer one of your questions, you would more than likely be expected to have at LEAST 1 other account, when I started 2 accounts were assigned. Then what happens is that you still run out of work, and end up taking more accounts to try not to run out of work. I have 6 now and still run out. And, with 6, my pay is not as good when I get the accounts I rarely do, as I need to constantly refer back to the account specifics as well as learn the new dictators.

They had a recent announcement that they had several new big accounts, and that we should all have plenty of work again and that they would be hiring additional MTs when those accounts started. I have yet to see any improvement.

Having said that, with your past experience could you sign on with them or another company as the account manager? That might be another option to consider. If you do interview with Webmedx, ask what your options are and if you could get into another position. I don't have any set answers, the economy and job market are really tough now. I would definitely interview with more than 1 company to get a better idea of your options, and best wishes to you!
Once you're hired, you'll have access to the posted - Anonny
[ In Reply To ..]
production matrices for all MLSs, as well as the incentive pay schedule. A thoughtful look at what people are actually producing, plus a little punching at a calculator, will give you guys the most reliable answer to your biggest question. The first X factor, of course, is one's base pay, and the other large variables reliability of work flow (bigger factor now than usually) and how hard you care to work.

As you will see, incentive scales at WMX reward well for higher levels of production and are just standard market for low production. High producers at Webmedx still make a very good income, although they do have to work very good for it. There are plenty of low producers, too, and everywhere in between.

If you guys were paid hourly, though, getting used to production pay is going to be a shock. At $28/hour (assuming a good but not tip-top producer with steady work), a 15-minute break taken ON the clock each day (i.e., 15 minutes' less production) would cost $35/week or something like $1700/year. An hour dribbled away in phone calls, snacks, petting the pooch, etc., on the clock: subtract $140/week, or that rewarding stroll around Macy's one week and joining friends for dinner and theater the next. Working a full schedule but choosing to work less hard and settling for 10% less production per day will cost people anywhere $3-6K/year (or as I think of it, THE vacation).

On the other hand, working on production goes the other way too, and I really, really like that about it. Want more money? Divide the amount by lines per day needed and go for it.

Regarding being offered a third of what you made before? You really need to factor in the incentive pay level you expect to be willing and able to reach to reach your actual likely cents/line--a rate that will look at least somewhat better. It's too bad, but above-current-market pay rates were probably a significant part of why your department is being outsourced.

Good luck landing where you want, and welcome to Webmedx if you choose to join us. :)

Wait a second..... - Frustrated

[ In Reply To ..]
So is this the "BIG" account coming to free us all of NSA? If so, I was told the company was NOT hiring or taking in-house staff and this was the solution to the NSA over and over again. Do I smell another lie by Webmedx?

If you can go with another company I would. I takes me at least 15 hours to get my 8 in. I work from the wee hours to the late night. It USED to be a great company but no longer.....Good luck.

To frustrated... - Being replaced

[ In Reply To ..]
Please explain free us all of "NSA". Yes, the in-house staff was offered the jobs (if this is the same BIG account you heard about). What is "NSA"?

wait a minute - frustrated

[ In Reply To ..]
no studies available.....no work
I heard it was 4 accts, not a single big one. nm - Conjunction
[ In Reply To ..]
Then, they wil probably hire on those existing MTs also. no message - nonoteme
[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Several were offered jobs... - housecat

[ In Reply To ..]
approximately 15 people were offered work this week by Webmedx at our facilities.

Cut in pay - Life as we know it

[ In Reply To ..]
I work for another company, however, it is the way transcriptionist pay is going -- down. You will not find it any higher elsewhere probably. They all do studies of who is paying what and because of being able to outsource to India and VR our pay is being cut dramatically.

Webmedx - disgusted

[ In Reply To ..]
Let's see, where to start. Do you do VR on your account now? Web pushes the VR big-time and they've cut our pay twice now, the last time with the promise of their new fantastic M-Modal speech engine because we would be able to do so much more. It is junk and even the highest producers are still taking a cut in pay. Whatever they are telling you, I would question, as they have a proven track record of blatantly lying if it benefits them. Oh, did I mention there is little to no work here? God knows what they'll do with you. They "PROMISED" us that we had new accounts coming on and nobody would be hired, but they would use existing MTs without work. Did I mention they lied? The insurance rates were raised last year about this time. I am sure they'll do it again this year, and it is lousy insurance. That is off the top of my head at the moment.

What I would do - Current WMXer

[ In Reply To ..]
Here's the thing: Webmedx is probably the highest paying large MTSO. (How we drool over your hospital-based pay!)That being said, they might not be hiring you at their highest rate; so if you can, try to negotiate a higher starting rate. I did that coming from another company and they granted it.

I think their management style is pretty decent for a large company. I have had two managers so far and they have been helpful, flexible and don't bug me much. On my particular team I rarely run out of work (working the evening shift).

It has been mentioned about the communication problem - and I agree they could stand to improve on that. It is rather unnerving that people were let go and an account lost and it was just sprung on us. So take that for whatever you wish - for me it means my job is always unstable and I don't like that.

But if I was coming from a hospital situation, I would probably give the new company taking over a try just because I would know the account so well. However, you mentioned they said they would not guarantee you the account you are currently on. I would question that if it was me and try to negotiate that as well. A selling point is that you guys know the account so well that you will be able to train the VR software better and provide better samples for anyone else who has to transcribe it.

I think the VR rate is decent. It is a better percentage of the straight transcription pay than most other places I have seen. So that's something to consider.

I felt like the platform was kind of clunky to learn, but maybe I'm just getting old! It is not Word-based, so if you are used to that then there will be a learning curve.

That's all I can think of right now. My heart goes out to you and your colleagues.

I believe that was very well said, I second that! NM - NM

[ In Reply To ..]
NM inside

Yes, pretty much agree. There are 2 platforms, and - Anyone.

[ In Reply To ..]
I picked up the word-based one, Enterprise, the first day without fuss since so many keystrokes were standard, with stickies on the monitor for the special combos.

QA's good and professional here, no silly aggravations--a real plus. I came in skilled and was off training after a half day's work. No nonsense from someone who doesn't like semicolons versus someone who does, or whatever.

How is the QA at Webmedx? Is it super-picky? - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Not too bad, in my experience (SM) - Current WMXer

[ In Reply To ..]
I think they are pretty decent. Not really comma-happy or anything. I am on a mostly verbatim account so I don't have to spend much time "cleaning up" the reports with pronouns and prepositions.

They are pretty picky, though, about demographics, and those can be rather detailed and tedious. Whenever I get feedback it is usually on a demo issue.
QA - QA
[ In Reply To ..]
I currently do QA for webmedx. For the most part, we try not to be comma happy and not get picky about little things like that. Mostly, we fill in blanks (unless it is 100% review), check the demographics to ensure accuracy, check the carbon copies are done, look over the report for any critical or major errors and send it on. We have a really great group of MTs here and they are very dedicated to their jobs. I appreciate that. As for the demographics, we have to be super picky about that because of HIPAA. Webmedx has had its share of difficulty this year but hopefully they will learn from their mistakes and can move forward. Overall, I have been very happy with this company. I hope everything works out for you also. : )
QA - frustrated2
[ In Reply To ..]
QA at Webmedx I have always loved. They are great about giving advice when asking questions. There are no "powerplays," no insults, just friendly, professional advice. They honestly make a person feel like they are on the same team trying to achieve the same goals. That is one of the things I will miss, the wonderful QA that are still there.
QA - Appreciative
[ In Reply To ..]
As part of the QA team, I appreciate this. It has always been my opinion that we are on the same team and the ultimate goal is ensuring the patient's report goes back to the doctor/clinic/hospital with complete accuracy. If you go in with this idea, then the "powerplays" are not there. I am not superior to anyone. I simply have a different role.
Thank you! - From another WMX QA Person
[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for your kind words. I always try to be helpful with feedback. After all, I am an MT first and QA second, we ARE on the same team. I love working with MTs like yourself who realize that we ARE a team and not adversaries.

Thanks again for your kind words. It makes getting up and going to work worthwhile to know that we are appreciated...

Webmedx - Tired MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I have worked for Webmedx for almost 8 months. There is usually good volume of work; however, when there is not, we are expected to log off and keep checking back. On Sundays in particular, an 8-hour day can turn into 12 or more. VR on my accounts are 5.3 CPL, straight typing is 8.5 cpl. Hope this helps.

Your cpl is much higher than what we were offered. - housecat

[ In Reply To ..]
Way higher.

Had been with them for 6 years - greenerpastures

[ In Reply To ..]
and voice recognition was .3 CPL!! Whomever posted the above is the only one making that line rate, I guarantee you, if they are in fact. Almost all of WMX's accounts are completely voice recognition now, and paycuts just keep coming. So sorry! Would find another hospital to work for. :(
No, she/he is not the only one making that rate. I - a wmx mt
[ In Reply To ..]
actually make a bit more than 5.3 for ISR and make more than 8.5 for straight transcription.
I got a good rate - when I worked for them (sm)
[ In Reply To ..]
I negotiated the same cpl I got at the company I came from, more than 8.5. Maybe that is different now, as this was more than 2 years ago. If I were you, I would try to talk them into a better rate.
There was no negotiating... - housecat
[ In Reply To ..]
We did try negotiating and they said it was 7 cents a line or nothing.

At least you'll be lined up with work and won't have to go fishing for it (nm) - nells

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Webmedx - Housecat

[ In Reply To ..]
Not necessarily. Webmedx is training their transcriptionists using our work - reports we could be doing before we're out of jobs.

To Housecat - ArmyMom

[ In Reply To ..]
Are you perhaps located in a landlocked state in a city starting with "L?"
No - housecat
[ In Reply To ..]
Are you? :)
Yeppers - ArmyMom
[ In Reply To ..]
Apparently WMX just got a contract with my facility to do clinic notes. I was wondering if any of our people got a job there.
WMX stated they opened 3 accts - Housecat
[ In Reply To ..]
this week.

I hope your son or daughter is safe and I am grateful for their service.

fair and accurate - curious

[ In Reply To ..]
you could be in the situation that 25 of us are in, i.e. jobs outsourced to India and you can go work one hour away for less money at the company that took us over and everyone would have to apply not guaranteed a job at all and rarely get to type. Otherwise look for a job at a companies that only wants ICs and/or There is such bad raps about all companies....said

Similar Messages:

Any Comments On WebMedx?
Oct 22, 2009

I am looking to make a change from MedQuist.  Does anyone know how WebMedx compares? ...

All The Over The Top Comments Regarding Webmedx
Sep 02, 2010

1. It sucks to lose a job, period.  At least 10 million people have gone thru the process in the recent past and none of them liked it. 2. No matter how it was delivered, you would still be upset. I gty you a phone call would have gone this way...."Hello, I am XX from HR and I need to inform you blah blah blah..."  Read from a script with no substantive answers due to today's legal environment and discrimination laws.  Having had the news delivered to me this way in the ...

Webmedx,nuance Paycut On OLD VR PROGRAM Not Fair!
Dec 01, 2011

I have gone over my pay records over the past couple of years or so and my salary correspondence from this company with a qualified unemployment case worker. When I recently told her that now it appears they (wmx,nuance) are going to even cut my pay more the option I  have is to quit and then file an appeal. If the company were to try and fight me on ALL the cuts I have received in the near past I have everything to show the case worker to get the highest benefits ...

She Dictates "He Is Fair Com Plected" Meaning He Has A Fair Complexion
Feb 08, 2010

Good morning all - I'm trying for a dermatologist today.  Not my usual account.  She dictates "He is fair com plected" meaning he has a fair complexion.  What is the right way to spell complected? I googled it, came up with a lot of variations and nothing concrete.  Thanks for your time!  ...

TTD Pay Accurate?
May 07, 2012

Do they pay on time and is pay accurate?  Is it 8 cpl?  Thanks. ...

Editscript VR Only 50% Accurate
Mar 05, 2010

So you get a report where the text has been typed by a computer. Then you must edit it. My sources (a large regional hospital MT Dept) tells me that the computer generated text is only 50% accurate, a far cry from what the vendors will tell the dupes at the hospitals who are buying into this junk. ...

Does Anybody Know If LPH Stats In 7.2 Accurate?
Mar 28, 2013

Mine shows consistently over the 150 minimum and sometimes over 200, but my supervisor keeps saying I am below 150, and you know what that means..... ...

Babbletype Ad Under Jobs Is Not Accurate
Feb 25, 2013

Ad says 0.90 per minute for verbatim transcription.  But when you click on their link to take their test it says 0.25 per minute, which they say translates to a steady income of $100 per week.  They are obviously not gearing their ad toward U.S. transcriptionists as none of us can live on that. ...

Even With Accurate ASR, Still Minimum Wage.
Mar 18, 2013

I had a couple of ASR reports that were stellar, being of the quality we were promised (of course, not from my usual accounts), and yet, the lph was still around minimum wage (hovering around 200). What's up with that!? The new statistics graphic shows the proof. Geez, they keep handing us more and more proof that earning a living wage doing ASR for MM is hopeless. Anyone doing at least 300 lph without having dictator standard reports? ...

Line Counts Accurate?
Sep 14, 2013

Over the last 2 pay periods, I have noticed my line counts not being as high as usual.  I have not changed anything and Im still doing the same hospitals.  I wonder did they stop paying for canned dictation?  That would not be right, sometimes that takes longer than just editing or typing because the doctor wants to change this, put in that, remove this.  It is not like we are just bringing up templates.  This job is so stressful.  I just want to be able to sit down ...

MM ASR Shows Off Even More Talent (in Not Being Accurate)
Nov 01, 2013

ASR replaced the dictated generic with the brand name of the drug. What the heck??? Now it is prescribing brand-name medications along with diagnosing patients and doing physical examinations. MM ASR is certainly multi-talented. ...

Does It Seem Like The Line Counts Are Not Accurate? SM
Jan 24, 2014

It seems like I am still working as hard and doing as many reports, but my line count is lower.  I was wondering if is just me?  Did they change the format or something? ...

Check This Out! How Accurate! (inside)
May 19, 2014

Nuance ES MTs. How Do You Keep Accurate Count Of Your Lines?
Feb 15, 2011

When I was Encompass, we used MT Monitor for EditScript, which did a fairly good job.  I never much paid attention to the Alt + x Metrics because of using MT Monitor pretty exlusively.  Now, since MT Monitor is soon to be nixed, apparently, it has stopped counting lines (just characters, but I can divide those by 65) and is missing whole reports over periods of time for me.  But Metrics is even worse.  It's recording only about 2/3 of my reports, if that.  I don&# ...

Nuance Line Counts Are Accurate?
Apr 05, 2014

Nuance gives me my line counts and they are loaded onto WebClock.  I have no idea what reports they are counting.  How do you know if the Nuance line counts are accurate?  I worked for several other companies and not only did they give the line counts but a tally of the reports that were counted.  So if I kept a log of daily reports I could compare to the total of reports that the company was counting.  With Nuance there is no way to know what reports they are counting.  I am on Dictaphone ...

Fluency Statistics Not Accurate For My Latest Shift
Dec 04, 2012

After a complete 8-hour shift, my statistics in Fluency as well as my Job Upload History in DocQScribe show me as having corrected (SR) 9 reports for a whopping total of 357 lines.  There is no way that this can be correct.  Did something happen to some of my uploads or is anyone else having this problem? ...

Can You Recommend An Accurate Line Counting Program For Gross Lines?
Mar 10, 2010

I have been using MPCount for several years but recently upgraded to a new laptop & it will not work on it - incompatible. I tried out their new trial version of MPTools but it does not count my gross lines the same & I would be losing more $ than I would like with it. There is something programmed into the newer version that counts differently somehow. (That was even confirmed with the person who produced this program.) Are there any other line counting software programs out t ...

ORO FAIR NIX
May 20, 2010

... when dictators say "ORO-FAIR-NIX" for oropharynx or "LAIR-NIX" for larynx?  When they think of lynx do they say "LNIX" or manx and say "MNAX" ??  :) ...

Fair Pay??
Mar 24, 2012

This may have been discussed before, and if so, I missed it, but SR seems to be getting worse and worse all the time (and I use M*Modal for two different MTSOs), picking up less and less of what is actually said.  This is even on very clear-speaking dictators.  Some have been to the point of SR getting maybe 2 words right in 2 sentences.  In this case, I'm actually "typing," but getting paid the SR rate.  It struck me that the only fair way to be paid would be to be paid ...

How Is It Fair
Jan 08, 2014

Everyone of my accounts now requires manual addition of CCs and/or manual addition of ADT information and I don't get compensated? This rots, getting ready to quit. ...

Fair Wages
Feb 18, 2011

I think a fair wage should be in relation to the economy, that which allows you to meet your baseline financial needs without having to work a second job or long hours.  I worked for a service back in the early 80s for 6.5 cents per line.  Today, nearly 30 years later, they're offering 7.5 cents per line, yet costs are sky-high.   It's pathetic.  It's sweatshop third world.  It's true, we're stuck with the way things are, but ...

US Fair Labor Act
Sep 20, 2011

(e)Study of effects of foreign production on unemployment; report to President and CongressWhenever the Secretary has reason to believe that in any industry under this chapter the competition of foreign producers in United States markets or in markets abroad, or both, has resulted, or is likely to result, in increased unemployment in the United States, he shall undertake an investigation to gain full information with respect to the matter. If he determines such increased unemployment has in fact ...

Fair Chance Or Not?
Mar 03, 2012

Was just wondering if you seasoned MT's think 5 weeks on a new job is a fair chance for a fairly new MT? New platform to be learned, and the dictations were from a big pool with a lot of different doctors, though not many ESL's, and QA was pretty picky. Any opinions on this? ...

Is 14 Cpl Fair For Experienced IC?
Mar 28, 2012

I have been an IC for over 5 years and have decided to increase my rates from 12 cpl to 14 cpl.  In doing that, one of my doctors is thinking about replacing me.  I thought 14 cpl was a fair rate.  What does everyone else think? ...

How Do They Call This Fair?
Aug 15, 2013

So, I have a VR job and the VR is just bad.  I FINALLY got to where I could make around $11.00 per hour and was thinking okay, maybe this won't be so bad.  Well, just as I got up to where I could make a decent living, my MTSO decides to do a random audit and completely tore my reports apart.  There were NO critical errors and no errors that affected the content of the report, just things like commas in the wrong place, using a comma when dictator said "and" and other simple t ...

TTS - Any Comments?
Jan 10, 2013

Anyone have any experience with TTS good or bad?  Thanks!  To elaborate - I am possibly moving from a hospital situation to working for them. ...

Fair Charge Per Line In GA
Jan 01, 2010

I'm thinking about trying to go out and get my own doctor's office and have a question about what is a fair rate per line in the state of Georgia. I've been doing some research but there seems to be a huge range. Can anyone tell me if $0.18/line seems fair? Thank you for any help or information!!!! ...

Fair Line Rate For SC
Jan 04, 2010

I am starting up my own MT Business and want to make sure I am not over/under charging.  I was thinking 12 cents a line.  Is this too much/too little? I am currently working for a MT business and I am making 8 cents a line but that company is located in Virginia so I cannot really use them as  comparison of what to charge the doctor's offices.  Please advise! ...

Fair Standards Act/getting Together On This Stuff
Jan 04, 2010

Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place, but it seems like with all the screwing over that some of these companies do to us (and I know it's no accident that they don't encourage us to communicate amongst ourselves), few people here are suggesting some way of getting together to "encourage" the companies we work for to screw us over less, or at least less painfully. I know there's a Fair Standards act, for example, that supposedly covers even us (working on production). Whi ...

Whats A Fair Price
Jan 20, 2010

Hi all, Quick question. I live in washington state and I just graduated from my MT course and had a doc call me to let me know that he wanted me to do transcription for him and my question is what is a fair price to be charging, all I ever hear is what is unfair. Thanks, Dude Mom ...