A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

VR editing - it's time to give - DT

Posted: Feb 03, 2012

I have never done VR yet but after looking for several months I've come to the conclusion that it's time to give in and apply for VR positions as that's all there seems to be in this industry.    I'd much rather have half the income than no income.  I'm looking for opinions from everyone that reads this:  Are most of these companies advertising willing to train to do VR?  I'd appreciate any feedback.  Thanks everyone.

vr - all different

[ In Reply To ..]
All the VR platforms have to have some training for their MTs, they are all different in how to go about getting the jobs and sending. Otherwise you listen to the report and read what kind of crap the system thinks it heard the doctor say and you just have to change the words to what the doctor really said. Lots of stopping and changing, and listening, a few words and change 2 out of 3 of the words as they are wrong. That is basically what you do. Not much training for listening and changing the words that are already on your screen to what the words should be. Just a major pain to have to change every sentence. And get paid half as much.

I totally agree. - lizzie

[ In Reply To ..]
I had never done VR either. Found a job with a new account - told me 50/50 VR and straight typing. Well, I have 90% VR - at 4 cents a line - and 10% straight typing. It takes longer to fix a messed up report. After a few hours, it's mind numbing. I'm so bored with this I almost want to quit. Yesterday I made a whopping $8.75 an hour doing VR. No, I'm not a newbie. I've been a MT for over 30 years. I think this is a crappy way to transform dictation and pay cheap wages. Oh - and I also have to make sure the header is correct, google doctor names, search for correct PT info and I DO NOT get paid for this part. I have spent up to 10 minutes searching for patients that the dictator didn't bother to insert in the header.

VR - Seasoned MT

[ In Reply To ..]
WOW, it sounds like I could have written that note. Same here, 30+ yrs of experience, etc. Three wks ago I actually had to restore my computer and when it was all fixed, my platform did not restore. Needless to say, I am no longer doing VR editing. I would just get SO angry while doing it knowing that it took a lot of time to do, I wasn't getting properly compensated, AND someone at the top was getting rich quick. The gaul to pay 4 cents. :(
You guys, VR doesn't HAVE to be like that. It can be - set to put out editable copy. SM
[ In Reply To ..]
Editing can be swift, wonderfully productive, and enjoyable when the reports put through are actually of editing quality.

When companies instead send us stuff about as readable as a plate of macaroni salad, it's because they can send us what is really transcription work as editing and we transcribe them--AT HALF PAY.

The problem isn't SR--it's employers using SR to cheat us to increase profits.

I have a suggestion: Audit your earnings on your really bad reports. Working for $3/hour? Don't stop there. Subtract the OPPORTUNITY COST to do them: that is, what you would have earned doing a properly editable report during that time. What's your bottom line? You actually lost $2 over that hour, paid them $2 for allowing you to work? Are you literally subtracting from your income by doing those terrible reports that're not balanced out by unusually good earnings on others?

Once you're angry, DO something about it. I am and do a number of little things which have lightened my burden a bit with some these reports, and increased my earnings, but I won't say just what because I don't want to give my employer a clue. If others would help themselves even a bit, a little passive resistance here and there, working smarter where it'll help, I'd personally really appreciate it. I'm not in a position to switch fields right now (neither too lazy or too fearful, BTW, just shackled) and hate allowing them to cheat and abuse me because I'm competing for work in a pool of victims. You can't turn this all around, but doing SOMETHING will help us all.

OP, plan to enjoy editing when it's good. It can be even more satisfying than transcribing. You can also help yourself best by planning and working to make as much editing as you do transcribing. That's equitable pay and some in this field are paid equitably. Why not you?
VR doesn't have to be like that - VTMT
[ In Reply To ..]
What are you trying to sell?

VR - Karen

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree with Lizzie. Recruiters at my last job told me the work was 50/50 MT/VR when it was actually almost 100% VR at 4 cpl, not to mention that it was also heavy ESL and I didn't get paid for research. I've been doing MT for 20 years and used to make $25+/hour, now I'm lucky if I make $7/hour. I made $11,600 last year. That's it. I now have such a dismal view of the future of VR/MT that I'm getting out. And when people tell me they want to take a course in MT so they can work at home, I tell them don't bother.
VR - VTMT
[ In Reply To ..]
I used to make $29,000/year and last year made just under $12,000. I got out and this year I will make double what I made last year. They don't give a crap about the MTs because they will just outsource to India.

Some questions to ask about VR - You may or may not get answers, though

[ In Reply To ..]
You want to find out what the acceptable draft percentage is that the software allows. Some systems allow the draft to come out at only 75% which means you're correcting 25% of the text. Other companies have a higher standard - Transform/MD Network is one of those. This is all about how the company wants to manage the software, not the ability of the software to produce accurate records.

Ask about if every single one of their dictators is on VR or are there exceptions made for dictators that clearly should not be in that type of environment.

Ask them about how they train their MTs and how many MTs they have on any given account. The thing with VR is the MTs all have to be doing the editing the same way. Things like when the doctor says kilogram if the machine puts kg you have to change it back to kilogram, if that's what the accounts specs say, etc. The other thing is if you have a whole phrase that is wrong, rather than deleting the whole phrase and inserting the new phrase, the way I was taught was that you have to delete each word and replace each word - otherwise the software doesn't learn the individual words in that garbled phrase.

Ask them how long the typical training is and if there is someone who can work with you in addition to that if you need it.

Find out how long the account you are being hired for has been on VR. If it's a new account, then the VR will still be learning (as will the MTs, very likely) and so the drafts will require much more correction. If it's been on VR for a while, then theoretically, it should be much more accurate. Theoretically.

Most companies will train you. Some, like Nuance, have designated training people or a training team.

The big thing with VR is you may have to retrain the way you actually read. I know I did. When I read for pleasure, I tend to skim and so as a result I read very fast. With VR I had to completely retrain my eyes to look at every single word. That took a while, but once I did that I noticed I picked up quite a bit of speed. Still didn't ever make as much on VR as I do typing, but it is what it is.

Oh, please, your changing each word doesn't correct voice recognition - VR learns voice, so if the, sm

[ In Reply To ..]
company is not having the physician train the VR to their voice, they need to be putting the corrections back through the VR with the physician's voice. VR doesn't know that you changed one single word in a document unless it is trained with the voice. MTSOs would like you to believe that you are training it, but wise up. VR stands for voice recognition, not transcritionist keystrokes.

I have a different experience... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
When I started my job, VR was consistently misspelling a tool name. Well, I was consistently correcting it. It took a few months, but I started noticing that VR was putting both the misspelled term and the correctly spelled term in there. Probably because some MTs weren't correcting it, VR didn't know which was correct, so it put both in there.

Wouldn't this be an example of VR learning/changing from our corrections?

If you can type, you can do VR, every company trains on software - whether it is VR or not, nm

[ In Reply To ..]

you must be on a gravy account... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
...because I use all of my MT skills when I'm VR/ASR editing, particularly grammar and terminology/A&P much, much more than just typing.

So, unless the MT is on a gravy account, i.e. VR that actually does what it's supposed to do and/or a dictator who does what he/she is supposed to do, then being able to type just isn't going to be enough to get the job done CORRECTLY.

I agree. VR is like doing QA. You need to proof the report. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

VR editing - DT

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks everyone for all the comments. It's very helpful.

HALF THE INCOME - MLS

[ In Reply To ..]
If I had to get half of what I already get which was already cut in half, then I would qualify for foodstamps. Anyone else on foodstamps?

I wish. - lizzie

[ In Reply To ..]
My husband is on disability so his income plus the crappy one I make disqualifies us for any help even with his medical bills from Medicare. I took this job because I was told the account was 50/50. Well, no it's not. I do 95% VR paying 4 cents a line. I'll make much less this year than the previous years doing straight typing even with slow periods.

Similar Messages:

Time Give Away = Money Down The Drain
May 20, 2011

Is anyone else fighting back against all the time we are expected to give away?  Every time they ask us to sit waiting for work to come in for 15 minutes, they are only paying minimum wage for your state.  If you are making more than this with your calculated base, they are cheating you!  I lose approximately $7 dollars an hour when asked to wait.  I for one have had enough!  Pray for me, as I may push this to the limit of losing my job, but when you think about it, that ...

Advice For Increasing Productivity In VR Editing? I Have A Hard Time Matching What I Made Typing.
Mar 08, 2012

Thanks for sharing ...

QA Keeps Changing Pro-time To Pro-time Or Pro-time Or Pro-time....once And For All, Which Is Correct
Apr 07, 2011

x ...

Trying To Find Part-time Or Full-time Employee Position (hospital/clinic)
Apr 30, 2013

If anyone knows of a hospital, clinic, or large practice offering remote full-time or part-time employee positions, I would really appreciate an email.  I have the sudden need to help support a family member long term (in addition to myself) and really need to find a long-term remote employee position for the stability.  Yes, I watch all the various employment sites and even individual hospital sites, but I was hoping that maybe, just maybe someone who works for a hospital that does th ...

How Many Lines Is Considered Full Time And Part Time At Your MTSO?
May 06, 2010

I am wondering what the average for part time and full time status is either if it is done by line count or hours. Thanks so much! ...

FULL-TIME DOWNGRADE TO PART-TIME STATUS - Question
Dec 08, 2011

Has anyone working for an MTSO been downgraded from full-time status to part-time status based on not enough hours worked to be considered full time, yet making well above the minimum amount of earnings required for full-time status? ...

I Give Up!
May 04, 2010

I absolutely cannot even understand this part of the dictation to even try to break it up into something valid. It's under the physical examination, HEENT. "Pupils equal, round, and reactive to light and accommodation.  Extraocular muscles were intact. (s/l ophthalmolotin powasting)."  She goes into cardiac after this and clearly dictates that heading. ...

OK, I Give Up...
Feb 07, 2012

I thought I'd looked everywhere but obviously not.  Where are the links to external resources, sister MT sites, etc?  I'm sure I'll really feel stupid when you tell me. ...

Something Has To Give Here
Jun 20, 2012

ASR was doing better a little while back now it is way screwed up again...Which means they hired people that dont know what they are doing..They need to make it about a year or so on new hires before they go through the filter and screw it up..And you would think at the very least there would be a filter to keep misspelled words from printing out,,,Just my opinion ...

Ok, I Give Up!!!
May 25, 2013

is it just me or is there someone else out there thinking that ASR has gone completely nuts!  My usual 240 lph is down to about 160 lph with all the editing I have had to do tonight on my normally clearly-speaking dictators, i.e., Dictated:   MRSA bacteremia    ASR:  Cataracts Dictated:  ESRD, on                ASR: Anterior, a If it didn't require so much editing it could ...

DON'T GIVE UP
Oct 19, 2014

I just want to let everybody know there are other fields where we can put our skills to use. I responded to an ad asking for a transcriptionist and thinking it was medical I sent my resume of 20+ years MT and got hired . It turns out its a legal transcriptionist for workers comp lawyers. Right now I do 4 hours a day as they need me (as there is another transcriptionist there) and am making a lot more than medical transcriptionist. I'm hoping at some point they may offer full-time so I&# ...

I Give Up. No More OT For Me.
Jun 12, 2015

I've had it.  Today will be the first time I'm not going to be compliant with the "mandatory" OT.  I just can't anymore.  They mandate, then they run out and cancel the mandate.  They give a few days without mandate and then we're back on mandate.  I work a specific schedule for a reason.  I do NOT appreciate being jerked around.  Whether it's illegal or not, it is WHOLLY UNETHICAL.  I'm not an on-demand worker.  This 8-h ...

Does Precyse Hire Any Part-time Or Only Full-time?
Nov 03, 2010

nm ...

Overtime Because Of The Time Clock Time Zone Change?
Feb 06, 2011

It has been inconvenient, and maybe a bit confusing at times, to check my time card hours for my shift as, because of my time zone, part of my hours show up on the next day because I work 2nd shift. I wonder if I will get overtime for yesterday, even though I did not work overtime. I had to start work several hours early because of maintenance, so all hours were completed before the hour my hours start showing up on the next day. Fine. But the last couple hours of yesterday show up as today, ...

Anybody Else's Actual Time Worked Not Match Clocked Time?
Jun 13, 2011

Ever since they have changed Schedule Source and now it has a display called today's activity with "actuals" hours, this has not matched the hours shown with the time clock punches and is less than the hours according to the clock punch. The difference adds up to a significant amount over time. I am really suspicious about being jypped paywise. ...

MQ Rehire Policy For Part Time To Full Time
Apr 09, 2011

I worked for MQ full time and then went to part time last year, before finally quitting altogether because of health problems. I seem to remember an obscure policy that if you were full time and then went to part time, you could not go back to full time for a period of at least 1 year.  Can anyone verify that for me? IF, and this is a big IF, I were to go back to work for MQ, I would need to be full time. ...

Part-time Versus Full-time Benefits
Jan 10, 2013

I'm curious as to the difference between the benefits for part-time versus full-time employment.  Are they the same?   ...

Should I Give Up 1 Job? Need Feedback. Sm
Dec 13, 2009

I work part time for 2 companies.  One company usually has plenty of work.  I love the work and the people and they are very flexible.  I can usually get full time lines.  The other company usually has no work and I really despise the work and the QA.  I'm tired of the constant frantic emails stating how there is so much work only to go on and find there are less then 10 jobs.  This company now wants us to be employees.  I don't want to be t ...

DONT GIVE UP
Feb 01, 2010

This board is sometimes so disheartening.  All of you new MTs, we are graduating from reputable schools, we are getting jobs and it is no different from any other occupation.  Times change, rules change, technology changes, but if we are not set in our ways and our not willing to grow, things will disappear.  We always blame everyone else, but maybe its time to look at the opportunities that do exist and concentrate on where we do want to be in 5 years or 10 years.  Peop ...

Does Anyone Know If There Is Someone To Give Feedback On FTR
Apr 13, 2010

I would like to give my feedback, a lot of hype for a BIG let down.  Swapboard a BUST.  OLD report lookup, andother BUST.  They need a HUGE anonymous suggestion box. ...

Please Give Us A Break..........
Jul 15, 2010

How many Medical Transcriptionist right now feel like they are being discriminated against because of your lack of experience?  Why are Medical Transcription companies only looking to hire experienced Medical Transcriptionist in a certain field?   Don't they realize the resources that are out there now, that can give someone the opportunity to grow in this field.  Right now there are so many people out of work and struggling to get a job and have little to no ...

Leave. Give It Up.
Jun 01, 2011

After working for more than 30 years as a medical transcriptionist, having gone through so many changes in the field, I left it all behind a year ago.  I worked the last ten years at home, the last few I was with MDI/Transcend.  MDI was a great company, but it all fell apart when Transcend took over.  Hope DF is sleeping well on her $16 million, I know many transcriptionists are not.  I saw my pay dwindle down to almost nothing and my TL cherry-picking, which really cut my in ...

Can Someone Give Any Info On DSG?
Oct 13, 2011

Can someone give any info on DSG?  Right now, I only care about if there's ASR in a big way, or now/low work in a big way.  Last ditch effort to stay in the business.  Thanks! ...

Ok....give It To Me STRAIGHT!
Dec 07, 2011

I have been considering going to Andrews to become an MT for and I have never done it because I get on these boards and get scared to death! I have worked in the Medical field for 13 years (as a clinical tech and surgery....included in that is some limited transcription and scribing). I now stay home with my kids. I have one in school and the other in pre-school. I would love to be an MT because I love the medical field and I would love something I can do from home. I do not expect to get rich. ...

Can Someone Give Me A Little Info On The
Apr 27, 2012

Mmodal platform?  I googled screen shots because I want to see what it looks like, but could not get anything. ...

Do You Think It Is Necessary To Give 2 Weeks?
May 30, 2012

Do you think it is necessary to give 2 weeks notice if I am ALWAYS out of work. For example I should be done with my 8 hour shift in an hour and I am not even half way through the day due to being out of work on my primary and ALL of my back ups. I just do not see the point in it. What do you guys think? Thanks and I hope everyone has a great day!! :) ...

Bah!! Give Me An ESL With An Accent ANY DAY Over
Aug 12, 2012

I Give Up. Has Anyone Filed For UE
Mar 12, 2013

My TSM is RW. Just WONDERING if anyone else in her region has filed? TIA ...

Don't Give Up - There's Hope!
May 24, 2013

I have a small medical transcription service. For years, all of my clients were physicians. With the implementation of the EHR, my business took a nose dive, but I’m now (thankfully and gratefully) beginning to build my client base up again which consists of non-medical clients. How many others have made a successful change like this in their once-only-medical-transcription service? ...

Can Someone Give Me Instructions
Jul 21, 2013

Mini rant:  Like what, they're worried some unauthorized person will sneak onto your computer and do a few reports?     Anyway have tried going into  the Fluency utilities, logging off Fluency and changing it, no luck.  Have tried cut and paste URL for Fluency without logging in and no luck.  Just asking because I don't especially want to spend an hour with Kumar/Phil at tech support if I can avoid it.  Thanks.   ...