A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Advice for increasing productivity in VR editing? I have a hard time matching what I made typing. - Hannah

Posted: Mar 08, 2012

Thanks for sharing

just accept the fact that you will not match what - you made typing

[ In Reply To ..]
That was the plan in place for VR, to cut pay.

Hannah, there are tips on the VR forum. Keep pushing - and you will see improvement daily. SM

[ In Reply To ..]
Whether you only approach double your transcription line count or exceed it will ultimately depend on what kind of work you're given, not just your performance. A lot of companies have it stacked against you these days, not specifically to screw you over but to shave labor costs, for too many a make or break situation.

The one specific tip I'll suggest here is perhaps the most important--refuse to accept advice and ignore comments from people who want you to join them in failure. Misery may love a crowd, but it's a miserable crowd, to be avoided like the plague it is.

Rather a contradiction here, no? - Boggled Mind

[ In Reply To ..]

"...not specifically to screw you over but to shave labor costs".

Labor costs = wages & benefits, so I'd love to hear your explanation how it is possible to "shave labor costs" WITHOUT screwing the laborer? Where do you think these savings come from - or, more accurately, WHO do you think these savings come from?

Boggled, if you won't pay enough attention to understand - a single sentence, could that be a problem

[ In Reply To ..]
with editing in general? The clue's in the words "not specifically to screw you over but to shave costs"--your boggling ones. We work in the information age and an information field. That means our brains are the tools we use to climb out of any miserable holes we allow ourselves to trip into, and of course to avoid them in the first place. Short form: Think.

not stacked against you? - are you kidding me?

[ In Reply To ..]
That is specifically what companies are doing to MTs. Wow. I hear people on this board sharing the truth about their working conditions. Are you even an MT? Where do you work and what do you do?

AYKE, I refer you to my answer to Boggled. You know, people are - hard wired to learn aurally, spatially, 5 other

[ In Reply To ..]
ways, only one of which is verbal, i.e, via the written word. I'm sure this field is full of people who came to it for typing and now find themselves without a perhaps critical facility for taking in written information, i.e. aren't specifically talented at reading in a line of work that now requires it.

I started out feeling snarky out of irritation, but I'm now totally serious here. This has to be a basic problem for many. Of course, this would be totally in addition to having the deck stacked against us by our employers.

The big lie about SR: You'll be able to do - twice as many lines.

[ In Reply To ..]
Very rarely, I'll see an SR document that doesn't have a lot of fixing to be done, and in such cases you can rock some lines.

Unfortunately, the operative phrase here is "very rarely". I have many reports that require fixes - often multiple fixes and even complete reworks - on nearly every single line and no matter what "tricks" or "techniques" I use, the best I can do is about 1.5 times the number of straight transcribed lines. I can usually transcribe about 250-275 lines per hour, and typically I'll average maybe 350-380 lines average by SR.

Given that SR also constitutes the greatest part of the work, it means that I've been reduced - after more than two decades in this business - to making $14-16 an hour. Every now and then, if I'm lucky, a bit more.

It is, and always was, a bald-faced lie that you're going to be able to process twice as many SR lines as you can do by straight transcription. And I hardly think any of us should be surprised if yet another development in this business has resulted in the MT getting shafted just one more time while the "suits" just keep on making more and more and more.

How they sleep at night, I have NO idea.

The big lie about SR: You'll be able to do - twice as many lines. - newgirl

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm going to apply for an internship with a VR company recommended at my school here real soon, and just graduated from EvCC. Right now I do home health care for $8.00. $14.00 an hour sounds excellent!!!

newbie - think about it

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't think a newbie will make $14 just starting out. Prepare yourself for the distict possibility that you may actually make less than $8 an hour for quite a while.
Newbie, I'm the "will see improvement daily" person, but I deplore - anyone thinking $14/hr is good for the
[ In Reply To ..]
skills and talent required for this work. A major problem we're having is literate adults who ever were willing to work for $8/hr willing to drag rates down by working for a bit more.

I hope you do so well that this sets a whole new standard for what's appropriate for you, well enough to understand that a person who can do this work should be making significantly more than someone doing data entry or calling out "next" and passing out forms at some government counter. Not busting their butts for LESS.

Which VR engine do you use? - I think the shortcuts vary with the program type.

[ In Reply To ..]
There is a big long list for M-Modal VR shortcuts on their board, but you gotta scroll to the bottom or maybe click on "Febuary" to find it.

Short cuts vary with your speech recognition software.

They do, but they're just the start. You use them plus - a bunch of others you make for yourself. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Similar Messages:

Increasing Productivity
May 22, 2010

Anyone know any good advice on increasing productivty using Medrite or just in general? I have been working for almost a year since graduating and i'm getting better slowly but surely, but i'd like to see more progress, as my pay rate is on the low side and I figured if I can be faster than I can kind of give myself a raise. Any help would really be appreciated. ...

Ideas To Increase Editing Productivity?
May 11, 2013

Since most of us are stuck editing for miniscule wages, lets share ideas on things you do, or have tried, to increase productivity. I haven't done editing for a long time so am experimenting with new things. Does anyone use their expansion software to perform commands like to quickly do reformatting? How about discontinuing duties you used to perform like searching for the first name of a doctor to CC? Timesavers when proofing, like ignoring the ROS and PE? How many can suces ...

Editing VR In BeyondTxt Has Made Me Severely Depressed.
May 02, 2010

I have never felt more worthless in my life.  I work for about half the pay, it takes longer to do because the drafts are so awful.  You get marked down if you don't use shortcut keys to navigate or whatever and the object is to keep you fingers on the keyboard, but you cannot keep them in the position you need to for transcribing or fixing all the problems.   I find my right hand is always on the control+delete key or end key, and my fingers constantly on the period or ...

So Is Their Rate 8 For Typing And 4 For Editing?
Dec 11, 2012

nm ...

I Am Typing/editing Reports
Mar 17, 2015

We need mandatory overtime for this? ...

Does Oracle Use VR Editing Or Are They Straight Typing
Jun 02, 2013

Does Oracle use VR Editing or are they straight typing. Also, noticed Oracle lets you make your own schedule as an IC, any other companies that do the same? ...

InScribe - Straight Typing Versus Editing?
Sep 08, 2014

Has anyone ever worked for them.  Is it hard to pass their test.  I sent the application in, and it was a long process.  How long does it take to hear back on the test results.  Are they a good company to work for?  Pay (cpl)?  Straight typing versus editing? ...

Productivity Time
May 10, 2012

Just curious .  .  . was anyone else shocked by an extremly high inactive time on their productivity report?  I was given an inactive time of a whopping 42%!!!!!!  How could that possibly be when I've never even been repriomanded for not producing enough?  So if this inacive time is accurate, that would mean that out of 8 hours a day, I am somehow sitting here for over 3-1/2 hours not working, and yet somehow still meeting my line quota?  Just wondere ...

Hard Time Finding A Job As An MT
Sep 29, 2010

Hi everyone my name is Amanda and I am a recent MT graduate.  I have been completing application after application and I either get an email saying that they are looking for 2 or more years experience, they are not currently hiring, or no response at all.  I was just wondering if anyone could offer any advice as to how to go about getting a foot in the door.  I am getting really discouraged and this process is so grueling!! ...

Having Hard Time Finding A Job As An MT
Sep 29, 2010

Hi everyone my name is Amanda and I have recently completed a MT course.  I am finding it very difficult to find work...I have completed several applications and keep getting emails that say they are looking for more experience, they are not currently hiring, or I get no response at all. I am just looking for some advice from anyone if they have any suggestions about getting into a job. This process is very grueling! ...

If You Are Having A Hard Time This Christmas
Dec 25, 2012

Dolly Parton - Hard Candy Christmas w/Lyrics - YouTube ...

I'm Having A REALLY Hard Time Believing
Dec 27, 2014

There are these 3 horrible ESLs, and I mean HORRIBLE--I cannot believe they are even allowed to dictate they are so all over place, mispronouncing every third word-- but my question is WHY, out of all the other fairly good dictators I do on a regular basis, are THESE 3 constantly being audited.  If I really believed it was random, (and I just can't) I would have less of a problem with this whole Fiesa thing.  But WHERE are the audits on the reports by the GREAT dictators?&nbs ...

Having A Hard Time Finding Clients
Apr 02, 2010

I have been a MT for three years.  I have been working for somebody else and have recently decided to start up my own business.  I have sent out over 200 letters/business cards to area doctors and thought for sure it would produce a better return.  I was just wondering if anybody has any advice.  I'm trying not to get discouraged and I just keep plugging along but I'm open to any and all thoughts.  Thanks in advance! ...

Any Other WMXers Having A Hard Time Concentrating?
May 05, 2011

I used to be a high producer. Now I just don't care. I dread having to start work everyday.  They have completely squelched my spirit and have sucked the life out of me. Now I'm just praying for a miracle so I can get them out of my life. They don't deserve me. ...

Having Such A Hard Time Finding Employment
Aug 22, 2011

Kicking myself for not having any acute care experience, big time.   11 years experience in other areas and I can't seem to make any headway.  Anyway, if you test for a position that states immediately hiring, how long should you wait before inquiring about how you did and/or when they are making any decisions?  A week? More?  It has been about 1/2 a week.  I just wondered.  I know they probably had a lot of tests to go through...but when they say immedia ...

People Must Have Made Up Time This Weekend Because I Have No Work Now.
Sep 08, 2013

nm ...

Still Can't Get Into MQ Mail And Having Hard Time Getting Into The Website At All After I Sign
Jun 24, 2010

nm ...

Fragment Versus Complete...having A Hard Time!
Oct 26, 2010

Cut made with a 15 blade into deep tissue. Is this fragment or complete? I am so confused. I would want to add a "was," but does it not having a "was" or "is" make it incomplete? I have been researching grammar, but I know sometimes medical fragment sentences tend to be acceptable. ...

Having A Hard Time Making Line Count
Nov 04, 2013

After being switched  every couple of months to new accounts I am now having trouble making any lines. Lately I have been wondering if they have changed how they count lines.  Also I am on an account that is done in the UK which means 100 percent ESLs and zero normals.  Anybody else struggle? ...

Having Hard Time Hearing Doctor On Voice Files
Nov 04, 2010

I wanted to know some pointers to get ahead with understanding a doctor's dictation in certain parts of a voice file. I am having a hard time even though I have been doing MT work for over a year. Any suggestions would really help.   Thanks ...

Alliance Health Documentation Hard Time Making Their Line Count Lately?
Jun 23, 2015

Anybody having a hard time making their line count lately? ...

VR Editing - It's Time To Give
Feb 03, 2012

I have never done VR yet but after looking for several months I've come to the conclusion that it's time to give in and apply for VR positions as that's all there seems to be in this industry.    I'd much rather have half the income than no income.  I'm looking for opinions from everyone that reads this:  Are most of these companies advertising willing to train to do VR?  I'd appreciate any feedback.  Thanks everyone. ...

Typing In DocQscribe Slow With Time Lag.
Dec 29, 2009

Periodically when I type in DocQscribe, it is slow to respond.  The letters take a tiny bit of time to show up, and when this is happening, it also is not responding to the foot pedal correctly, seems slower, and if I have it set to rewind a bit when I lift my foot, it doesn't always do this.  When this is happening, it sounds like the computer is working harder.  I can hear the hard drive running more. Any suggestions on what might be wrong would be appreciated. ...

I Made A Total Of $19,000 For 2011. Would Anyone Mind Sharing What They Made For The Year. I Am Ju
Jan 27, 2012

hopeful ...

Can Anyone Tell Me If MQ Stopped Matching
Mar 27, 2011

401k contributions?  I know they had a 50% match back a long time ago when I was first hired. I heard something about them not matching anymore?  Anyone know if this is true? I wouldn't be surprised with what they have already and continue to take from us.  Watching Suze Orman show; she says if your company doesn't match to stop contributing and start a Roth IRA.  ...

QA Scores Not Matching Up.
Jun 09, 2015

FIESA 99.7, Webclock 98.5. Anyone else have this happen? Just noticed it today but already approved my timecard yesterday. ...

My Company Is Implementing 401k, But Not Matching It.
Jan 20, 2012

Just an inquiry.  Is this better than getting 401K on your own?  Or do you need details to give a solid answer?  If they don't match it, I can't really see the good in it.  Just asking.  I am not savvy in financial matters.    ...

Matching Hospital Info On Files
Jul 30, 2013

I have been an MT for a very long time.  I remember when MTSOs first came about, we were not really required to make sure specific work types went to specific folders or do all of the hospital specifics such as that.  We sent our work to our MTSO and it was someone elses responsibility to make sure it found its right place in the hospital chart. Today, the MTSO that I work for deducts THREE points off of your score if you mismatch something in the database, so if you do this, you auto ...

Increasing Minimum Production By 20%
Mar 23, 2011

beginning June 1st.  I wonder what will accompany this change - reducing the workforce by 20% or lowering pay?  ...

Any Tips For Increasing Motivation/production?
Nov 15, 2010

I'm not sure if I'm burned out on MT as a whole (I don't think I am), just my current MTSO, or if I've got some component of ADD.  Whatever it is, I need to get out of this slump.  Increasing production just because I need the money doesn't seem to be a motivator.  I've been doing this for 21 years now.  I've always been a little distractible, but it seems to be getting worse.  Does anyone have any tips or tricks for improving their p ...