A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

time give away = money down the drain - a1typist

Posted: May 20, 2011

Is anyone else fighting back against all the time we are expected to give away?  Every time they ask us to sit waiting for work to come in for 15 minutes, they are only paying minimum wage for your state.  If you are making more than this with your calculated base, they are cheating you!  I lose approximately $7 dollars an hour when asked to wait.  I for one have had enough!  Pray for me, as I may push this to the limit of losing my job, but when you think about it, that may be the best possible outcome as I am tired of always trying to fight for what is wrong.  I am asked to attend phone meetings that are unpaid.  I am asked to do training that is unpaid.  The list goes on and on and I have had enough.  May consider hiring an attorney, as I think they wrong us at every turn. 

Maybe we should itemize the time spen, & bill them. - (sm)

[ In Reply To ..]
Of course, they would just laugh at us. But then again, those of us who carefully document stuff like this, could then take our carbon copies of said invoices to the nearest State Labor Board. I would imagine all corporate laughing at MTs would stop at right about that point.

Sweet Revenge - Terminator

[ In Reply To ..]
I really wish MQ would get their come-uppance. They can't expect that we will calmly and willingly accept all the cuts in pay. I used to make more than twice as much only 10 years ago. Each little change they do takes more small change out of our pockets, but it adds up to thousands in very little time. Of course we're resentful and angry. It's a knee-jerk reaction. We're so over-qualified for this job with education, experience, intelligence and honesty. With those traits, we should be making twice what we do here. I've been looking elsewhere for a career change. Transcription is going down the tubes for us. Unfortunately, I must have sent dozens of resumes out for related jobs in and out of the medical field without any response. It's not like the old days where human resources would get a few mailed resumes and a real person would actually contact you. Searching for another job is a full-time job in itself, and in this economy with so many unemployed people with the time to spend sending resumes, it's a bleak option. What's a transcriptionist to do??

Similar Messages:

Too Much Time Too Little Money
Mar 03, 2010

Is anyone else as sick and tired of the amount of time spent (not being compensated for) reading about all the fluff at MQ during the last 3 years!  I am so out of here.  It's just a matter of time.  Good Bye MT all together.  ...

Any Suggestions To Turn NJA Time Into Money?
Aug 31, 2010

Does anyone know of anything worthwhile (i.e., money-making) to do while sitting around waiting for the next job to load?  My time is worth more than watching the clock tick away waiting for MQ to throw me a job here and there.  What irks me is how I have to make that wasted time up in my own free time, and not only that, but what time suits THEM best, i.e., Friday or Saturday nights.  The gaul.  Anyway, I was wondering how you all spend that idle time being more fruitful.&nb ...

So Free With Advice - Don't Waste Your Time/money
Mar 21, 2011

On the newbie page is yet another thread with nothing but mindless- "don't waste your money/time" posts from supposedly experienced MTs. Like it or not, MT isn't disappearing.  Neither is AHDI.  Like it or not, credentialing is going to be a fact of life if you're an MT.  I'm no big fan of AHDI either, but I have paid enough attention to what's going on in the industry to know what the wind is bringing in. The MTs who do little more than bash and dash, w ...

Time Versus Money - Long Commute
Aug 01, 2012

I am doing some thinking about what is important to me. I have been looking at jobs on Indeed.com and found 2 coding jobs that I might qualify for down the line, but they both involve a 1-1/2 hour commute via public transportation each way. So that's 3 hours a day getting there and back. After working at home more than 10 years, that idea seems very daunting to me. I could look for work closer to home, but the pay would be considerably less doing outpatient coding for a dr's office ...

Make More Money Full Time At McDonalds
Jan 23, 2015

.07 cpl, paying once a month with a fee if direct deposit is utilized?  Geez, thought my job was hideous...  I could literally make more money working minimum wage 40 hours a week.  It is sad what this has come too. 19 years of hard work and dedication to watch it waste away...  ...

VR Editing - It's Time To Give
Feb 03, 2012

I have never done VR yet but after looking for several months I've come to the conclusion that it's time to give in and apply for VR positions as that's all there seems to be in this industry.    I'd much rather have half the income than no income.  I'm looking for opinions from everyone that reads this:  Are most of these companies advertising willing to train to do VR?  I'd appreciate any feedback.  Thanks everyone. ...

HAP Drain?
Feb 27, 2012

Can't seem to find an "HAP" drain.  I am sure I heard correctly.  "She has an HAP drain in place, which she has been taught how to empty." ...

Drain Type
Nov 24, 2009

Is it a Stavol or Stadol drain? Surgery is appendectomy and I cannot find either on google. ...

Drain Tubes?
Dec 03, 2010

I'm typing an operative report...the doctor recorder is playing VERY fast and I'm trying to decipher what she's saying. 'Two mediastinal drain tubes were brought in from the subxiphoid region, the tip of the left side directly under the thoracic cavity' ...

S/l Camino Drain
Apr 16, 2011

The patient underwent a temporal lobectomy and also had a decompressive laminectomy and s/l Camino drain placement.    ...

Surgical Drain
Apr 20, 2011

OR report for lumbar laminectomy.  A S/L DP Mac Drain was placed overlying the laminectomy site at L5-S1 and a superficial Hemovac was placed in the subcutaneous tissues as well. Thanks in advance... ...

Snyder Drain ?
Jul 30, 2013

snider or snyder drain? Thanks :) ...

There Is A New Kind Of Drain Out There
Feb 06, 2015

NOT.... Dictated: required her placement onto midodrine ASR: required her placmeent on tomato drain. Folks, you can't make this stuff up ...

Gallbladder S/l Bili Drain
Nov 03, 2009

The patient underwent interventional procedures including chest tubes and a gallbladder s/l bili drain. ...

Flapjack Compressed Drain?
Nov 12, 2010

it sounds like: A 10 mm flapjack compressed drain was brought up through a separate stab wound incision... ...

Are Transcription Jobs Going Down The Drain?
Oct 25, 2012

I work at home for the local hospital/clinic and have for the last 12 years doing transcription.  Now all of a sudden we switched to a new system and a lot of the doctors are doing voice recognition and we are doing more editing of reports than typing.  Also, I used to work a solid 8 hours a day from 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.  Now I have to get up at 4 a.m. to grab work till about 8 a.m., and then there is no work till around noon.  Even after that it is sporadic, hit and miss.&nbs ...

S/l Chronic Small Drain Hepatitis B
Feb 15, 2012

s/l Chronic small drain hepatitis B ...

Sounds Like *Avens* Drain Placed In The Abdomen. Nm
May 17, 2012

nm ...

Parathyroidectomy - S/l Fluted Blake Drain Was Placed Through A Stab Incision Into The Nec
Jul 28, 2010

The 7  s/l fluted Blake drain was placed through a stab incision into the neck. ...

Two Drain Tubes Put Into Thoracic Cavity After Removal Of Teratoma
Mar 01, 2011

I have a foreign doctor who descibes two chest tubes put in, one with the tip showing under the left, the right thoracic cavity (s/l) sustaining its own. Anyone have an idea? ...

QA Keeps Changing Pro-time To Pro-time Or Pro-time Or Pro-time....once And For All, Which Is Correct
Apr 07, 2011

x ...

Pt Has A "throm And Topical Pad" Applied To Chest Wall Drain.
Aug 08, 2011

She does demonstrate some previous bleeding from the posterior chest wall drain site that has a stitch in place currently.  She has a thrombotopical pad applied to her anterior chest wall drain site.  ...

S/l "Lyovac" Drain Used In Knee Replacement?
Jan 19, 2010

See above. Can't find anything even close anywhere. ...

Can't Verify "brain Drain" Anywhere Regarding Surgery.
Jun 05, 2014

Scalp and forehead lacerations being repaired. The head is placed in a "brain drain" in order to wash the hair and judiciously shave the areas around the lacerations, preserving all of the other hair. Thanks in advance. ...

19 French "channel" Drain?
May 12, 2011

It sounds like he is saying channel drain during a GI surgery.  Has anyone ever heard ofa  channel drain or do you know of a good website that lists various surgical drains and their names?  I'd be very grateful for any info.    Thanks so much! ...

Prepping For Surgery: "Arms Were Tucked In And The "s/l Drain Stops" Were In Place&q
Mar 28, 2012

x ...

Money
Mar 29, 2010

Call me greedy, but what can a new MT expect to earn the first couple of months? Based on having plenty of work and working around the clock. I am putting out at least 1100 lines a day for now.  What is considered a good line count? ...

BIG MONEY
Jul 28, 2010

Okay, so I signed on with Transcend because they said, "Do you want to be guaranteed $900 per pay period as full time?" Well, sure. That sure reeled me in. I had always been afraid they ran out of work. Now it turns out that you HAVE to earn $900 IN ORDER TO BE full time. Big difference! It's like saying, "If you win the Olympic gold medal, you'll be guaranteed a first-place finish!" Or, "If you win the election, you'll be guaranteed more votes than your opponent!" It's so ba ...

How Do I Get My Money?!
Nov 21, 2011

Ok, finally, the horrors have happened to me. All was well, but now I'm getting seriously pissed. I work 8 hour shifts 5 days a week. Those hours are mandatory. My pay is equalling less than minimum wage. I e-mailed the company asking them about having to pay me minimum wage given the mandatory hours. The only response I got was "I'll look into it." That was over a week ago. In addition, the platform we use that records our lines is not recording all my jobs! I write down all the job ...

If You're In It Just For The Money, Don't Become An MT
Sep 03, 2012

I've had the same line rate (9 cpl) for 5 years, and I notice the new accounts they offer MTs pay 7.5 or 8 cpl at most. I must admit, though that I do work for a great company (I've been with them 12 years); they offer lots of flexibility (no required shifts or hours, just a reasonable line quota), payment promptly by direct deposit twice a month like clockwork, an easy to use transcription platform and wonderful QA and support staff. I have a lot of job satisfaction, though for my yea ...