A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Are there any companies left that still provide a company computer for employees? sm - anon

Posted: Oct 07, 2012

I'm just talking about employees here, not ICs.  It amazes me that as a company employee, we would not be provided the most important tool we need to work with all set up to company specs, loaded with company s/w.  If we worked on site, would we be expected to bring in our own computers?  I don't think so.

Thanks.

Providing computers - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
The part of Nuance that used to be Webmedx provides computers and last I knew M-Modal did also.

Opti-Script provides a computer, but it is a rickety antiquated thing with XP on it. nm - I prefer to use my own.

[ In Reply To ..]
xxx

Windows XP required for some hospitals who have Nuance software - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Some hospitals haven't upgraded their Dictaphone (Nuance) software for several years, so it takes a Windows XP computer to work on those accounts.

And now computers have Windows 8. Wonder how many years it will nm - take for the industry to catch up. :(

[ In Reply To ..]
xx
My computer guy says, if its not broke, why fix it? Except to sell more - systems and make more money. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
I understand that -- I was happy with XP -- but after awhile, nm - you have no choice when you buy a new computer.
[ In Reply To ..]
xx
You can have a choice about XP - Precious
[ In Reply To ..]
You can pay extra to have XP put on any computer you buy. I could not use Vista with my company at one time and everyone was going that way, paid extra and got XP which I have at present. Plan to update computer before long and will still pay extra for XP.
Not sure that is still true. Got my last laptop when I did cause - computer guy said it was close getting SM
[ In Reply To ..]
to the time you would not be able to get XP at all. Plus there will come a time when MS will no longer have support for XP. In fact, that might already be true.
You can get XP still - Precious
[ In Reply To ..]

Windows.com is selling XP now and as far as how long support might last, that cannot be guessed here or any other item.
This is just me, but if I'm buying a new computer, I'm not paying sm - COMT
[ In Reply To ..]
more to install an old operating system on it. Fortunately, the companies I work for use Bayscribe, which stays pretty current with everything, so by the time I need another new computer (I just bought one a few weeks ago), they will probably be ready for Windows 8. I do agree with the person who said if it's not broken, don't fix it, but unfortunately eventually we all have to go with whatever is on the market. For what I use things for, I do not really notice much difference between XP, Vista, and 7.
You can special order a computer with XP or you can get - me
[ In Reply To ..]
a computer with whatever the current OS is and partition the hard drive so that you can run 2 operating systems, one of which would be XP. MS may/may no longer support XP, but really how often do you need support with XP? I've had XP for over 6 years and never had an issue.

They don't supply computers anymore because - people get up and leave

[ In Reply To ..]
jobs and don't return them. You supply your computer, it's a tax write off.

employee deductions hard to reach. sm - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
As an employee, I've never had enough $ deductions to meet the requirement to be able to deduct my computer, electric, internet, etc. I was only able to do that when I used to be an IC. Cannot afford to buy a new computer. Mine is old. Thanks.

I'm the original poster.

Precyse - supplies computer

[ In Reply To ..]
Precyse supplies everything you need.
express scribe - maureen
[ In Reply To ..]
hi,

i recently was offered a job but i am supposed to download express scribe to be able to do the job. is anybody else having problems downloading this software? it seems to download but when it has downloaded, it does not work?

i don't even know how to explain it.

please help.
maureen
uggh here we go again with ES - nn
[ In Reply To ..]
Trying to figure out why Express Scribe is not working. Do you run Malware Bytes and Superantispyware. Clean out your temporary files. I literally last week, had to wipe out my hard drive because of a virus -- run boot scans. However and I MEAN it, before wiping hard drive clean, save everything and go from there. I was able to install version 4.01 and had NO problems.

new computer - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I wonder what requirement you are talking about to use your deductions. I think I've always been able to use mine. I also use a CPA, not H&R block or something. I just picked up a nice new computer at Walmart (HP) after my antiquated one blew up and am very happy with it. Not sure, but maybe they or some others now have a lay away plan again, or a pay-out plan, or maybe you could use a credit card and pay monthly that way.

Deducting a computer on your taxes - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
An employee may be able deduct their computer expense on IRS Form 2106, which is the form for Unreimbursed Employee Business Expenses. It would have to be a computer that is used exclusively 100% for work only.

The only caveat is that you also have to be able to itemize your taxes on Schedule A, rather than just taking the standard deduction. Best to talk to your accountant for all the details.
Plus employee business expenses - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
are subject to something like 2% floor of adjusted gross income and then expenses deductible above that amount, which makes it hard to meet depending on how much you make. See last paragraph in link.

Company computer - Haveone

[ In Reply To ..]
TransTech.

Trurnaround Time Transcription - nn

[ In Reply To ..]
x

TransTech computer - runner2

[ In Reply To ..]
I also have a TransTech computer and it's old and slow and also have to pay a "rental fee". I've had about 3 previous to this one and had to return them all as they were old, slow, and crashed.

Silent Type - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Diskriter... - anon4

[ In Reply To ..]
at least for the account I've been assigned to, which has been great, because in the 4 years I've been with Diskriter, I've actually had to have mine replaced 3 times. No complaints from me; it meant a few nights off each time, ha-ha. Nice monitor also. Have never had to use my own PC for work in all the years I've transcribed, and I like it that way.

Patient First - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

companies providing computers - maureen

[ In Reply To ..]
anon,
a couple of years ago, i worked briefly for a company called spheris; they provided the computer, the training and everything.

good luck

Spheris is .....nm - Long Gone

[ In Reply To ..]
xxx

Thank you to all who have posted or emailed me. sm - anon original poster

[ In Reply To ..]
What a helpful group of MTs you are. You are much appreciated!

Similar Messages:

Keystrokes Ad Asking That Employees Provide Their Own Computer
Dec 17, 2013

I noticed the Keystrokes ad asking that employees provide their own computer. Are there any instances where they would provide the computer for the employee? ...

MT Companies That Provide Computer
May 17, 2010

hello: just wondering if anyone can tell me what companies provide computers?  i worked for medigrafix and medquist before.. have been thinking about getting back into transcription but now.. i have to use a company provided computer. thanks for the info. ...

What Companies Provide Computer?
Aug 10, 2011

I am thinking about getting back into medical transcription and wondered if there are any companies that provide a computer. I am not interesting in MQ. I don't think there is much job security there anymore, especially since the CEO made that pretty clear in his recent article. ...

Do Most Companies Provide A Computer Or
Aug 18, 2013

do you have to have one already? Thanks in advance ...

Anyone Know Of National Companies That Provide Computer? Sm
Mar 04, 2012

I am facing layoff at the end of March and looking for at home work, but do not have and cannot afford a computer.... ...

Are There Any Companies That Provide Computer Equipment? Tired Of Nuance
Jan 31, 2014

xx ...

Are There Companies That Provide Computer Besides MModal? Have Heard Precyse Isn't Hiring. NM
Mar 09, 2014

xx ...

Transcend....do They Provide Computer?
Feb 02, 2012

I saw their recent ad, just wondering if they provide a computer if you work as an IC.  TIA ...

Does M Modal Still Provide Your Computer ...
Apr 26, 2012

It doesn't say in the ad.  I know they used to, just curious.  I have my own computer to use, but wondering if they still send their own to you.  ...

Does Transtech Provide Computer/equip? Nm
May 14, 2012

nm ...

Which Companies Provide Computers?
Nov 17, 2009

Does anyone know what companies provide computers?  Thanks so much. ...

Transcription Companies Who Provide PC
Aug 25, 2011

Hey, anyone out there know of any work-from-home transcription companies that provide you with PC?   THANKS!! ...

Companies That Provide Equipment?
Mar 30, 2013

Does anyone know which companies provide the equipment? I need a job desperately. I bought a new computer (HP Pro with Windows 7) but my USB infinity foot pedal will not play the transcription files. I have tried everything, even downloading different programs that were supposed to make it work and still nothing. I installed a foot pedal tester, which shows the foot pedal working, but it won't link up to the files when I test. I need to find a company that will provide the equipment qui ...

Companies Who Provide Equipment?
Jul 30, 2013

Can anybody some names of companies (work from home) who provide all of the equipment?  ty ...

Companies That Provide Equipment
Nov 18, 2013

What are some companies that provide the equipment needed to work from home (computer, foot pedal, etc.). I have worked outside the home doing transcription for nine years and now would like to work from home, mainly due to the fact that I cannot find an outside job, but I do not have any equipment and cannot afford it right now. ...

Companies Which Provide Equipment?
Aug 11, 2014

Which outsourcing companies provide equipment, i.e. computer and software ? Thanks in advance!   ...

Companies Who Provide Equipment
Aug 26, 2014

Hi.  Anyone know of companies who still provide equipment, ie, computer, etc?  Thanks. ...

What Major Companies Provide Equipment?
Nov 04, 2011

I know this has been asked before in other posts, but was unable to locate them.  Any info you have would be great, as well as a comment on the companies suggested.  Really looking hard at Webmedx right now.  Thanks! ...

Companies That Provide 401Ks And Profit-sharing:
Oct 20, 2009

There's just ONE, eensy-weensy little problem with MT companies providing their employees with a 401K as one of their benefits: What person on a measly MT's earnings can afford to put anything into it?????  I can't spare even a dollar at the end of each pay period, and haven't been able to put anything into even a savings account for years.  Did it ever occur to them that a retirement account is USELESS if you don't pay your employees enough to fund it? ...

Do Companies Legally Have To Provide You With Proof Of Your Line Counts?
Oct 27, 2009

The company I'm working for has no way to verify my line count on line, nor do they provide a count on my paystub.  I have no way to verify the lines they are paying me for.  Is this legal? ...

Webmedx - Company Computer Versus Own Computer?
Feb 04, 2010

I read that Medmedx supplies computers but you can only have Cable or DSL connection.   I live in an area where I cannot get cable or DSL.  I have a wireless connection.   My question is, do they allow you to use our own computers?   Thanks for your time and have a great day? ...

Change From Company-provided Computer To Own Computer
Aug 04, 2011

I am in the process of transitioning jobs and will be going from a company-provided computer to my own.  Any suggestions on what software programs are needed, virus protection, word expanders, line counting, and hardware like foot pedal?  The hospital I am looking into will be using Microsoft Word.  Any comments on whether this is a good program or not to transcribe on?  Any tips?  I have been with the same company for 15 years, so have been out of the loop and need ...

Any Smartmed Employees Out There Left?
Nov 08, 2011

I feel there is something else brewing with this place.  It's gone downhill for awhile but lately, I get a bad vibe that something's going down.   ...

Are There Any Part Time Employees Left?
Aug 29, 2013

I wasn't on the boards for a little while, and now I'm seeing posts about all the part time people being laid off.  Is this true?  Do we know this for sure, or just speculation? ...

Employees Who Have Left TransTech To Work For TTS
Aug 22, 2014

Positive experience?  Thanks! ...

Left MM A Year Ago And They Never Sent Me Labels To Return The Computer So I Kept It. Anyone Know (S
Jan 17, 2014

since I have had it this long and after repeated requests for labels and no reply....if I keep the computer, can their proprietary platform, etc be removed and computer used for another transcription job?  I am desperately looking for a new job but they all require a personal computer.  Thanks! ...

Which Companies Hire EMPLOYEES?
Jan 31, 2012

I have a PT gig working as an IC but need a FT gig so want it as employee status. Which companies hire employees rather than ICs?  NO large nationals, please!  I'm not gonna go there.  :) ...

Any Good Companies Left Out There?
Apr 05, 2013

I've been in the MT business for 7 years now.  After being let go for low workload from my last company I was lucky enough to take the last 4 months off but now feeling the crunch and need to get back.  I've been with about 4 different companies in the past but now doing the research I just don't see any companies that people seem to LIKE to work for!  If anyone has a company that's legit and seems to be an okay place to work please let me know!!   Thank ...

Any Good Companies Left?
May 07, 2013

Are there ANY good companies out there? I only see negative about every single company that is hiring. Seriously, only negative.  Never a good word about any of them. Has it really come to this?  I work for Nuance so I know they are bad. I've worked for MedQuist, need I say it?  Both of these were not my choice but buyouts of fantastic companies.  So, let's hear it.... are there any good ones left? ...

Now That Synernet Is Going To VR, Are There Any Companies Left Sm
Aug 26, 2013

that have straight transcription, besides SoftScript?  I thought maybe I had found my home with Synernet, but they are now also handing out the big lie of how MTs can make just as much money with VR.  Greed wins, MT loses. ...