A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Companies that provide equipment? - Unemployed and desperate

Posted: Mar 30, 2013

Does anyone know which companies provide the equipment? I need a job desperately. I bought a new computer (HP Pro with Windows 7) but my USB infinity foot pedal will not play the transcription files. I have tried everything, even downloading different programs that were supposed to make it work and still nothing. I installed a foot pedal tester, which shows the foot pedal working, but it won't link up to the files when I test. I need to find a company that will provide the equipment quickly so I can get back to work. I am about to lose everything I own if I can't find work quickly. I've even tried applying at burger joints just to find work and keep running into the same problems, "you made so much money at your last job, there is no way you would work for 7.65 an hour and stay with us" and the most insulting of all... "you have never packed air filters before so you don't have experience and we cannot hire you." I need to get back to work. I would take anything and have tried to find anything. Hundreds of applications and nothing. I need to get back to doing transcription and get a paycheck coming in. Please, if anyone knows of any company that provides the equipment can you send me the info or if anyone has ever run into the same problem with their foot pedals and was able to get it to work, could you tell me what you did. I am desperate!

MModal provides equipment - Obi Wan

[ In Reply To ..]
They would be more than happy to pay you minimum wage. "May the Force be with you."

Have you applied at places like - cable and

[ In Reply To ..]
Internet providers? Most of these companies use at home workers for their service calls. All you need is high speed Internet and a phone line.

foot pedal and files - me

[ In Reply To ..]
I had the same problem when I downloaded express scribe, but I finally figured out how to download the voice files; I went to options, control, controller set up wizard. If Infinity does not work when you set it up, try again, try another type of foot pedal like game pedal or something until you get one of them to work. I finally got it to work, but the playback options don't quite work right so it doesn't automatic playback at all. But there are controls for that too, if you feel like playing with them.

foot pedals - NK

[ In Reply To ..]
USB foot pedals are HID-compliant devices and depending on the program you're using they sometimes aren't recognized. I was working for MedQuist at the time I got a new computer with Windows 7 and finally figured this out.

I downloaded VMware Player, which is a free program. You need a Windows XP OS CD to install it on the partition VMware Player sets up when you install it. You will then have a computer with 2 operating systems on it, Windows 7 and XP, and the foot pedal will work with XP. You can switch back and forth between the two.

It's really very simple to do. The VMware Player is very automatic, and if you follow the on-screen instructions you will have no problems. If you do, ask or e-mail me and I'll try to help.

Hang in there! - LASH

[ In Reply To ..]
Sometimes, the foot pedal, itself, is defective. I had a company provided Infinity foot pedal and went through several calls to tech support when my foot pedal would intermittently cease to function, and finally ordered a new one out of frustration, and have had no problems with the new one.

I saw on another board where Precyse - is hiring and

[ In Reply To ..]
provides equipment.

You can often find perfectly serviceable used computers with XP on Craigslist - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Might be able to work out a trade or could pawn your new computer to be able to afford a used one. In this job market, it would be a shame to have to limit yourself to only MTSOs that supply equipment.

Nuance doesn't supply computers for EditScript accounts (maybe some other platforms still, but not ES). I asked my TSM about that when I started having some issues with my computer, and she said no.

Questions for you? - wantohelp

[ In Reply To ..]
Is the Infinity foot pedal USB-1 or USB-2?

What is the model number of the pedal?

Are you using Windows Media Player to try to play the voice files? If not, what are you using to try to play the voice files?

Unemployed and desperate - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
Are you talking about not being able to hear voice files when you test at MT Test? That site does not support IE9 which is what you would have for your browser if you have Windows 7. You will need to install Firefox and some Apple software to access the test files. If you are trying to play transcription files at a job, call tech support, that is what they are there for. Someone suggested getting a refurbished XP computer; I would advise against that as Microsoft is going to stop supporting that in a few months. Precyse supplies equipment. There is a company called Opti-Script that supplies equipment. M-Modal does, Nuance might if you explain your situation. Ask yourself how long you'd be happy packing air filters or working at a burger joint before you moved on, those employers make valid points. Depending on your age, going back to school might be an option and there is funding available for displaced workers. I like the call center idea. Good luck with your technical issues.

I just took an MTTest on Friday - with IE9

[ In Reply To ..]
and it worked just fine. I had to download their drivers to work the foot pedal and all was fine with that. I just deleted the drivers after I was finished. I don't want all that extra stuff on my computer. Don't believe everything you read or hear as fact. Not always correct.

The last time I took a test - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
That is what was true for me, the test site did not support IE 9. That was several months ago so it could have changed since then or it could be different for different companies. Oh by the way, I lie for the fun of it...not!

Good news. With this info you can test s/m - wanttohelp

[ In Reply To ..]
I read through your posts here and a previous post you made in the tech forum and have come up with some solutions.

This post is long. Bear with me.

1. Go to the below link and download the file to your computer. Save it anywhere, the desktop, programs, wherever you want the file to go.
http://www.nch.com.au/scribe/index.html

2. This is a 14-day free trial of Express Scribe which will get you through the testing process. Double click on the downloaded file and it will install.

3. Here is the good news. Whether your foot pedal works with it or not, Express Scribe has "hot keys" where you press F2 for slow speed, F6 or whatever for rewind, etc. It's slower to have to test that way instead of using a pedal, but many have used the "hot key" method if they could not get their pedal up and running, myself included.

4. Now it's time to download the files from the testing site. If you have IE9 see if you can save the files to your computer using IE9. If not, install a second browser, for example Firefox, or install an earlier version of IE. IE7 is a good version to pick. Also, you can have multiple browsers installed on your computer, for example I have 3 different browsers. Once you are able to download the test files save them to wherever on your computer you wish to.

5. Open up the newly installed Express Scribe program and at the top of the program are various tabs and one of them says load. You click the load tab and there will be a browse feature. Go to where you saved the test files and click them one at a time and they will be put into Express Scribe, and from there you are ready to type using the "hot keys."

6. It's also possible that your USB foot pedal will work with Express Scribe, in which case you can use the foot pedal instead of the hot keys. Look up top at the Express Scribe program again and see settings. Click on it. Then click settings on the drop down menu, which will take you to a new window. Hit the control tab on the window there. Make sure that the use foot pedal playback box is checked. Now right underneath that box it lists ports. Choose VEC pedals USB from the list. Now, to the right of that box is another box that says number of pedals. Choose 3. Now, right underneath those 2 boxes is another box saying foot pedal control wizard. Click on it and it will tell you what part of the pedal to push.
If it will not play there is a custom pedal choice in the port box which you could try also to see if your pedal will play with that setting.

Either way, hopefully with the pedal, but if not and using the hot keys instead, you will be able to test.

Really hope this helps.

That was very thoughtful of you to type - all that info

[ In Reply To ..]
for the original poster. I found it informative too!

Tried it all... - Desperate

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm sorry it took so long to respond to everyone, and thank you to everyone who responded to me trying to help me get this figured out. I've been pounding the pavement trying to find work any place I can get it, all the while trying to get my foot pedal to work with no luck. I've tried all the above and nothing is working. I've installed firefox, even went and purchased another USB infinity pedal thinking maybe mine was defective and it still won't work. When I run the test, it shows both pedals working fine, but when I try to play any dictation, nothing. I am at wits end with this. I have never experienced this problem before. The computer is new (an HP) and I can't return it, so I am stuck with an expensive computer I cannot do anything with. I'm finally at a point where I am completely out of money and can't even afford to take it any place to see if someone can figure out the problem for me. In my entire life, I have never gone 4 months without a job. This is by far one of my biggest nightmares to date. If I had any money left at all, I would definitely go to a pawn shop and try to pick up another computer. Burned through the little savings I had paying bills just trying to stay afloat. I could sure use prayers now because I don't know where to turn anymore.

Similar Messages:

Companies Who Provide Equipment?
Jul 30, 2013

Can anybody some names of companies (work from home) who provide all of the equipment?  ty ...

Companies That Provide Equipment
Nov 18, 2013

What are some companies that provide the equipment needed to work from home (computer, foot pedal, etc.). I have worked outside the home doing transcription for nine years and now would like to work from home, mainly due to the fact that I cannot find an outside job, but I do not have any equipment and cannot afford it right now. ...

Companies Which Provide Equipment?
Aug 11, 2014

Which outsourcing companies provide equipment, i.e. computer and software ? Thanks in advance!   ...

Companies Who Provide Equipment
Aug 26, 2014

Hi.  Anyone know of companies who still provide equipment, ie, computer, etc?  Thanks. ...

What Major Companies Provide Equipment?
Nov 04, 2011

I know this has been asked before in other posts, but was unable to locate them.  Any info you have would be great, as well as a comment on the companies suggested.  Really looking hard at Webmedx right now.  Thanks! ...

Are There Any Companies That Provide Computer Equipment? Tired Of Nuance
Jan 31, 2014

xx ...

Does Transcend Provide Equipment?
May 17, 2010

Looking for PT work and my personal computer is a laptop with Vista.  Not too many companies allowing that.   TIA ...

Does MModal Provide Equipment?
Feb 23, 2013

Just curious if M*Modal supplies the equipment (like Medquist used to)?  I haven' worked from home in YEARS and don't have any current equipment (other than my Mac laptop).  Thanks. ...

Does Nuance Provide Equipment?
Nov 28, 2013

Does Nuance provide equipment? I have just started job searching. Thanks! Looking for a nice place to work for from home, been a transcriptionist for 23 years, recently lost my job in work force reduction (outsourcing). ...

Does M-Modal Provide Equipment
Dec 10, 2014

and if not . . . what computer requirements are needed for their software? ...

Transcription Services That Provide Equipment
Sep 30, 2010

Does anyone know of any transcription services that provide the computer equipment?  I tried the ones I found on this board WebMedX and SoftScript (bad reviews on SoftScript) and Proscript which is an INDIAN company!  I do not own my own computer.  I am quitting MQ and will have to return the equipment, or will I (wink wink).     ...

Which Companies Provide Computers?
Nov 17, 2009

Does anyone know what companies provide computers?  Thanks so much. ...

MT Companies That Provide Computer
May 17, 2010

hello: just wondering if anyone can tell me what companies provide computers?  i worked for medigrafix and medquist before.. have been thinking about getting back into transcription but now.. i have to use a company provided computer. thanks for the info. ...

What Companies Provide Computer?
Aug 10, 2011

I am thinking about getting back into medical transcription and wondered if there are any companies that provide a computer. I am not interesting in MQ. I don't think there is much job security there anymore, especially since the CEO made that pretty clear in his recent article. ...

Transcription Companies Who Provide PC
Aug 25, 2011

Hey, anyone out there know of any work-from-home transcription companies that provide you with PC?   THANKS!! ...

Do Most Companies Provide A Computer Or
Aug 18, 2013

do you have to have one already? Thanks in advance ...

Anyone Know Of National Companies That Provide Computer? Sm
Mar 04, 2012

I am facing layoff at the end of March and looking for at home work, but do not have and cannot afford a computer.... ...

Companies That Provide 401Ks And Profit-sharing:
Oct 20, 2009

There's just ONE, eensy-weensy little problem with MT companies providing their employees with a 401K as one of their benefits: What person on a measly MT's earnings can afford to put anything into it?????  I can't spare even a dollar at the end of each pay period, and haven't been able to put anything into even a savings account for years.  Did it ever occur to them that a retirement account is USELESS if you don't pay your employees enough to fund it? ...

Do Companies Legally Have To Provide You With Proof Of Your Line Counts?
Oct 27, 2009

The company I'm working for has no way to verify my line count on line, nor do they provide a count on my paystub.  I have no way to verify the lines they are paying me for.  Is this legal? ...

Are There Any Companies Left That Still Provide A Company Computer For Employees? Sm
Oct 07, 2012

I'm just talking about employees here, not ICs.  It amazes me that as a company employee, we would not be provided the most important tool we need to work with all set up to company specs, loaded with company s/w.  If we worked on site, would we be expected to bring in our own computers?  I don't think so. Thanks. ...

Are There Companies That Provide Computer Besides MModal? Have Heard Precyse Isn't Hiring. NM
Mar 09, 2014

xx ...

Do Any Companies Supply Equipment Any More?
Oct 11, 2012

I was wondering if anyone knows of any companies that still supply equipment any more? Thank you! ...

Any Companies Hire PT That Supply Equipment?
Nov 13, 2011

Thanks ...

Can Anyone Provide Any Insight Here?
Feb 12, 2010

If my account is not located in the mid Atlantic and has had no recent bad weather, why is it so low on work?  If I'm paranoid, please correct me, but what effect could the weather in another area have on my account? ...

Can Someone Provide Me With Ventilator Settings? I Mean,
Feb 17, 2010

when doctors give settings for ventilators, FIO2, PEEP and so on.  If someone can provide me a simple list, I would appreciate it.  This isn't for a test and, sadly, I'm not a newbie.  I haven't done these type of reports in a while and my brain seems frozen over.  If anyone can grasp what I'm trying to say and could provide some simple answers, I would really appreciate it.    Thank you. ...

Lol...ad To Become An MT Instructor And They Will Provide You With A MT Education
Jun 24, 2010

Transcription Instructor and Will Train (Denver areas) Date: 2010-06-24, 9:43AM MDT Reply to: job-jeudz-1808559848@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?] Part time instructor position Med Workshops' Medical Transcription School wishes to hire an Online Instructor. Great opportunity for the right person to work from home in the healthcare and education fields. We may also provide a free education in Medical Transcription to the employee. About Med Workshops Med Workshops ...

Transcend....do They Provide Computer?
Feb 02, 2012

I saw their recent ad, just wondering if they provide a computer if you work as an IC.  TIA ...

Please Provide Information On Accentus.
Feb 26, 2012

plotting my escape from M*Modal.  I  was kind of surprised the practicum was all proofreading.  Is that all they have?  How is pay?  Platform easy?  Have 401K match?  Lots of work on weekends?  Any and all reviews appreciated, even bad.  Thanks!   ...

Does M Modal Still Provide Your Computer ...
Apr 26, 2012

It doesn't say in the ad.  I know they used to, just curious.  I have my own computer to use, but wondering if they still send their own to you.  ...

Does M*Modal Provide Computers?
Jul 20, 2012

nm ...