A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

My BOS is old -- what's the current rule/standard wrt to: - Nicole

Posted: Sep 11, 2014

apostrophes?  eg. ADLs or ADL's

I gather that the move to make hard-measured units (rather than eyeballed measuired -- such as:  a 5-mm screw versus a 5 mm laceration -- died years ago. Is this correct?

I'm anticipating doing some testing for a new position and don't want to fail this sort of "basics"

Thanks!

Apostrophes - AnonQC

[ In Reply To ..]
Only single letters and numbers need an apostrophe to be made plural, e.g. A's and 1's. For all else, just add the s.

I think you're right about the measurements.

Thanks! I wasn't sure that it hadn't changed back again... nm - nicole

[ In Reply To ..]
d

Similar Messages:

Does Anyone Know Current BOS Rule For Height?
Oct 22, 2011

I know the 2nd edition says no comma between 5 feet 5 inches, for example. Does anyone have the current BOS edition and knows if this is still the same? ...

Mom's Rule
May 21, 2012

Has anyone ever heard of the verbiage "follow Mom's rule" in ER plan of care??  Physician states, "he is to follow Mom's rule"....... ...

BOS And Their Industry Standard?
Oct 21, 2009

Do all of your companies that you work for use the BOS as their industry standard? ...

Which Do You Think Is Correct, Or Is There A Standard
Mar 29, 2010

Example:  The patient is a 60-year-old, middle-age/middle-aged female who comes in today for follow-up.  TIA!  I appreciate any and all responses.  ...

Double Standard
Mar 29, 2011

Time and time again it is reiterated the importance for us to remain professional, as we are a reflection of MQ.  For example, never say "poor dictator" because this may be insulting to the holy than thou doctor, PA or RN.  What about the annoying PA that constantly insults me by saying in middle of her dictation, "note to my typist."  And this is not insulting?  All the training, years of experience and BS I have to put up with to be called a "typist" repeatedly.  ...

Why The Double Standard
May 20, 2011

I read the job description for a production MT on the CBay India website and here are a few of the interesting requirements they must meet: Transcribing the given data for the day i.e. 450 to 900 lines per day as per the specified capacity of the MT. Production at least 75-80% accuracy in terms of medical terminology, American English, grammar, spellings, punctuation and formatting. Work closely with his/her QCE and making efforts consistently to upgrade his/her skills in terms of m ...

Can We F11 A Report If It An ASR That Has A Standard For The WT?
Dec 20, 2011

This one account drives me nuts.  it has a standard but most of the time is ASR and I have to move things around.  I cannot remember if we can use F11 for this or not.  Anyone know?  I was blessed with accounts in the past without standards so cannot remember if we can F11 to transcribe due to not having to move everything all over the place. ...

Is This Standard Procedure? Or Just Being Ignored.
May 08, 2012

I have been here a little while, about 3 months.  I have been switched around between CCMs already to go where my primary account goes.  I needed a few hours to go to a school function and asked for that leave.  I have never been responded to by my CCM.  Is this usual?  I put up my shift on the swapboard, said I'd make the time up.  Etc. Etc. But no response at all.  Do we ever get leave when asked? Or am I to say no to my child from now on.  I j ...

VR Versus Standard
Aug 23, 2012

We are told not to over edit VR reports, but the reports must be verbatim.  It's mutually exclusive! ...

Is There No Standard Of Quality In QA?
Sep 17, 2013

i am on 100% QA and am constantly confused.  I am corrected for things, ask my coach.  She tells me QA is correct.  Then when I change it how she says to I get it changed back to the way I was doing it before~!  I love Fluency, i am amazingly fast at it but i think QA will ultimately do me in...for doing what i'm told to do...GRRRRR ...

Rule For Adding A
Mar 24, 2010

Hello. It might just be too early but can someone tell me the rule as to when to add A?  Like the doc says HISTORY: 72-year-old woman who..... Should I be adding A to the beginning? HISTORY:  A 72-year-old...   ...

SIRS Rule Out PTI S/l
Sep 18, 2010

In the diagnosis section this doc says "SIRS.  Rule out s/l PTI."  So, I found SIRS (systemic inflammatory response syndrome) but I can't find out what s/l PTI is to go along with it.  Any ideas? ...

AHDI Rule
Feb 10, 2011

What is BOS ruling on using the word "post" when typing (for example) status postcholecystectomy?  Where in BOS is this found? ...

Rule Changed?
Jun 29, 2011

murmurs, gallops, or rubs  OR  murmurs, gallops or rubs? I am old school and taught that the first is correct, but I waste a huge amount of time and keystrokes correcting this and other instances like this.  I looked at the AAMT link, but really didn't get a sufficient answer if the second is OK to leave as that is the preferred way ASR puts it; however, every grammar site I looked at online puts the additional comma in. ...

ESL Rule Of Thumb
Nov 17, 2011

As American-born, English-speaking doctors are becoming the minority, I think all companies should openly state what percentage of ESL will be encountered in a new job and then ask 1 year of experience for each percentage of ESL; e.g. 40% ESL (the maximum I can personally tolerate) 4 years experience plus a differential in the line rate, too. What do y'all think? ...

AAMT Rule
May 16, 2012

dictated: levothyroxine 1200 micrograms daily transcribed: levothyroxine 1200 mcg daily   is this correct? pls help. ...

Assessment: Rule Out S/l Wad-dey-o
Dec 24, 2012

EMS responding to a patient who just had ablation for SVT last week and is complaining of weakness and dizziness. Cannot find with much searching. Thanks for your help! ...

CMS Final Rule
Jan 30, 2013

This was published in the Federal Register last week, correct?  I have a friend who is in a battle with an insurance company over a very sick child.  They are always throwing up obstacles for coverage. She told me that out-of-network treatment is covered at 50% of 200% of Medicare rates.  So we are trying to uncover exactly what that rate is.  Is the CMS Final Rule document what  I am looking for to help her? Is Coder here?  Expert insight would be so appreciated ...

New 6-minute Rule-sm
Aug 14, 2013

When you get NJA you have the 3 options as we did before.  When you choose to "make up time", at the very end of the explaination, it says something along the line of entering a leave request on teamwork for excused no pay?  This only makes sense if in fact you cannot or do not make up the time, but the policy does not explain it that way.  Example:  You work 2 hours and get NJA.  You have 6 hours to make up and can only make up 4.  The remaining 2 hours must be en ...

What Is The New Rule For How Many Days Off Without Pay
Nov 24, 2013

I really don't see what it matters now that we don't get PTO and if we aren't getting paid for it so what. Seems stupid to me that they would care how much time we have off if they aren't paying us anyway but anyone know now the most days you can take for the year part time and full time?  I know they took away PTO for part timers and cut it for full time but wasn't sure of the new rules. Also, when does it start over again if you used up your unpaid time off days. ...

Does Anyone Know Offhand MM's Rule If
Aug 26, 2014

no patient name is given?  Do we transcribe it as "UNKNOWN, NAME" or "NO NAME, GIVEN" etc?  Or where this info is located?  I've searched DQS guidelines and TSG and can't seem to find it.  TIA! ...

Help Please Im Looking Can't Find The Rule
Feb 09, 2015

Do I need to put a marker in there as a warning. I totally forgot and never usually get this..checking the guides now coming up empty ...

What Happened To Standard Forms?
Sep 22, 2011

Suddenly we have new QA and it's gotten crazy! We have some new PA's that dictate things so out of order as compared to the "norm" and QA wants us to give it to them instead of making reports alike as we were trained to do.  I've had some dictate drug allergies in review of systems and medications in the plan and QA wants this. I don't get it. I just don't understand how a doctor can know to check the plan for what meds a patient is on.  I also have a PA that ...

New Wave Of Pay/training, Becoming Standard?
May 02, 2013

Good morning fellow MTs; I hope everyone is having a productive day!  Lately I have been contacted by two different companies via email stating I had contacted them in the past with my resume.  I am working but could always use something better right?  So I proceed to see what it's about and you know you don't get answers to those questions regarding pay scales and pay frequency upfront usually even when you do ask so I followed their jungle of steps, wasting quite a bit ...

New QA Standard January 2014
Sep 23, 2013

They are now going to require 99.6% up from 99.5%.  Oh yeah.  How is this going to go?  Looks to me like a lot of us will be out.  Is this even humanly possible?  Maybe I should be a weatherman.  They can be wrong 50% of the time and keep their jobs.  HA. More stress for us.  It makes me physically ill anymore.  Too much stress. ...

If QA Score Is Below Standard, Do They Take Away Benefits?
Dec 28, 2013

I went from near-perfect and had 100% at one point down to 95%. Can they take away my insurance? ...

Problem With Standard/normal
Jan 03, 2014

Okay pulled in PE and major ARGH!!! I was told that tenses need to match.  However, in this particular case whoever entered it was jumping back between past and present.  Another  time consuming thing I get to do.  Interesting how that works. REALLY???????????????????????????? ...

Rule-out Sepsis Work-up
Jan 10, 2010

A rule-out sepsis work-up for an infant .... are the hyphens correct? Where can I find the correct use of the hyphens? Thank You! ...

New Rule For MDs: If You Cannot Pronounce It, You Cannot Prescribe It, Nor --
Jan 28, 2010

-- can you treat it.  Certainly, you can't get paid for doing anything with it.  So, study up, doc. ...

Acute Care - Define Please! And Standard 4
Jan 14, 2010

I have been an MT for 16 years and I am still not totally sure what "acute care" means and it is on almost every ad.  Does this always include Ops notes?  I also can only make educated guesses about what the Standard Four are too.  I am frantically looking for a job - no work at my current one - and I need to understand these terms better so I don't waste my time.  I have no Ops experience and seems everyone wants this.  Discouraging.  I have done only ER work ...